• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 |OT| Anyone can save the galaxy once - SPOILERS!

Dang0

It was disappointing to me unfortunately.

I felt like it was written with a much younger audience in mind and it felt as though it was a first in the series type film, setting up those to follow it.

I actually thought it was way more adult and dark then the first, to the point I thought it might be too dark for very young kids. That scene with Groot being abused by the ravagers for example.

I think I may have liked it more then the original, and thats in my top 3 MCU films. Need time and a rewatch of both to say for sure though.

Thought they'd overuse Groot in this but pleasantly surprised I was wrong. Loved the movie, especially its second half.

But when I saw the Michelle Yeoh cameo I internally screeched with joy.

Queen.

I was the only person in my (admittedly Thai) audience that laughed when they brought out the Zune, and said "300 songs". I had a Zune!

Blastoise

Banned
Low blow using that Cat Stevens song. Too many tears.

The movie was a good popcorn flick. Probably don't need to see it again.

Violet_0

Banned
GotG2 was great, without a doubt the best Marvel movie they've released so far. It's funnier than the rest of them, and somehow also manages to be more emotional than all of them combined

Rogan

Banned
Saw it yesterday and it was an horrible theater expierience. There where two guys next to us and they where laughing at literally everything. It was so irritating that it ruined the movie for me.

They where laughing at every cut. It was just ridiculous. I couldn't stop getting distracted by these two guys.

Pretty much hated the movie.

The Guardians are such better developed and appealing characters than any of the Avengers... I don't know, I just find them more likeable characters.

I love Star Lord's development in this, Pratt's performance (especially during the villain reveal/emotional death) were fantastic.

Glass Rebel

Seen it twice now and yeah, I definitely prefer it over the first and it's in my Top 3 MCU movies (alongside Winter Soldier and Iron Man 3). My girl cried both times at the funeral scene, shit was too emotional.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
The Guardians are such better developed and appealing characters than any of the Avengers... I don't know, I just find them more likeable characters.

I get what you're saying and I feel the same. The Guardians are basically together all the time like a family unlike the avengers were it feels like it's an annual meet up, which kind of is.

LowRoller

Saw it yesterday and it was an horrible theater expierience. There where two guys next to us and they where laughing at literally everything. It was so irritating that it ruined the movie for me.

They where laughing at every cut. It was just ridiculous. I couldn't stop getting distracted by these two guys.

Holy shit the same thing happend to me .except it was one guy and he smelt terrible, like I can tolerate bad b.o, but holy shit this guy smelt like literal shit and he laughed every second of the movie. Didn't help that the movie was pretty bad and the comedic scenes fell flat . Idk maybe I have a bad sense of humour

Sadist

I love Star Lord's development in this, Pratt's performance (especially during the villain reveal/emotional death) were fantastic.
I totally expect a scene where Team Tony and Team Cap are just standing there, not saying anything to each other and the Guardians will comment on how they are a much better team.

Renpatsu

I get what you're saying and I feel the same. The Guardians are basically together all the time like a family unlike the avengers were it feels like it's an annual meet up.
I hope that point of difference comes across during the next Avengers film. Both groups consist of a very distinct chemistry between them informed by the circumstances of their initial formation so it'd be interesting to see that play out when they do eventually meet each other.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I get what you're saying and I feel the same. The Guardians are basically together all the time like a family unlike the avengers were it feels like it's an annual meet up, which kind of is.

For me it's more Gunn gets how vital music and visuals are. The trio across Egos planet to My Sweet Lord, the opening to Mr Blue Sky, the Ravager funeral - he's advancing plot and character with minimal dialogue.

Never thought I'd say this, but Gunn is by far the best director (pre Black Panther of course) to make a Marvel film. He gets that deep down it's B-movie nonsense, but is smart enough to be so genuine about it and commit so much there's this wonderful heart there.

Best exemplified by him having THAT scene with Mantis and Drax that destroys everything in the MCU on an emotional level with almost no dialogue. And it's reliant on a wrestler no less. All the Oscar worthy actors, and one moment with Batista puts them all to shame.

And that's not to knock Batista, he's brilliant here. But I can't see many other guys trusting him that much.

Oxx

I thought it was fantastic.

The payoff for Drax's nipples was one of the hardest I have laughed in a cinema .

genkigenki

Neo Member
Hello, I liked the movie more than the first one, because it has same action packed humour but with a much more interesting villain.

BUT ¿Why Ego has to kill Quill's mother? Ok, he doesn't want love to interfere with his universe expansion plan, but since he is immortal, he could have lived with her until her death and then accomplish his plan. Even if he had a good reason, ¿Why tell Quill? Ego should know that humans don't like getting their mothers killed.

Besides that plot hole, the movie is very well made, entertaining and emotive. But I don't know why people didn't forgive minor plot holes in Batman v Superman but they forgive everything to marvel movies...

El Topo

But I don't know why people didn't forgive minor plot holes in Batman v Superman but they forgive everything to marvel movies...

Because that is a 150-minutes movie with shitty editing, pacing and directing. If that movie wasn't all over the place people would be willing to forgive a lot.

Hello, I liked the movie more than the first one, because it has same action packed humour but with a much more interesting villain.

BUT ¿Why Ego has to kill Quill's mother? Ok, he doesn't want love to interfere with his universe expansion plan, but since he is immortal, he could have lived with her until her death and then accomplish his plan. Even if he had a good reason, ¿Why tell Quill? Ego should know that humans don't like getting their mothers killed.

Besides that plot hole, the movie is very well made, entertaining and emotive. But I don't know why people didn't forgive minor plot holes in Batman v Superman but they forgive everything to marvel movies...
That isn't a plot hole.

Ego is so far removed from humanity that he didn't even think it would be a problem. Add in his first ever celestial child who he assumes is like him and it makes even more sense that he wouldn't have a problem detailing his actions. Humans and all life is disappointing to him, hence the expansion in the first place.

DeathyBoy

Banned
That isn't a plot hole.

Ego is so far removed from humanity that he didn't even think it would be a problem. Add in his first ever celestial child who he assumes is like him and it makes even more sense that he wouldn't have a problem detailing his actions. Humans and all life is disappointing to him, hence the expansion in the first place.

It's also not a plot hole as before we even met Ego Yondu called him a jackass. GOTG 2 just filled in the specifics.

It's also not a plot hole as before we even met Ego Yondu called him a jackass. GOTG 2 just filled in the specifics.
Add in the fact he killed hundred of his children because they didn't carry the celestial gene and I think it's clear he doesn't care.

Also why would he worry? He has lived for millions of years and is eternal, a newly found human with a basic concept of how his powers work in his mind isn't going to be a problem. Worse case? He uses Peter as a bettery and completes the expansion anyway.

genkigenki

Neo Member
That isn't a plot hole.

If he is so far removed from humanity why does he bother to kill quill's mother? Why does he fall in love? That's a very human thing to do. Also, if Quill is the first child with celestial powers, and Ego is so invested in his plan, he should be more cautious before telling him that he killed his fucking mom.

To put it simple: if he is so inhuman, why does he fall in love? Why does he have to kill her? And if he is in part human, why doesn't he lives with her until she dies and why he doesn't keeps the killing of the mother a secret? Either way there are inconsistencies in Ego's behaviour.

You could say, well, celestials are inconsistent, and I will be all right with that because I wasn't looking for a great solid plot, just action and laughs and it delivered. And I think that the plot is very good, only weak point for me is the killing of Peter's mother.

Ego is clearly conflicted between his human persona and his Celestial "grand plan" persona. The "Broke my heart to give her that tumour" line was clumsy, but evoked a gasp from me as I hadn't connected the dots. He is essentially a detached being playing a human.

Sadist

Dude, becuz movies.

In his own warped mind he thinks that telling this is just okay because he showed Peter what he as a Celestial could do and Peter seemed to go all in. Ego could get over it because well, he did love her, but had a plan and that makes it okay. He thought Peter would be the same.

Tough shit for Ego.

You know what I could totally see as well? That trilogy link begin to build. I think more than any other trilogy, this'll feel a lot more connected and coherent, particularly due to one unified director for once.

genkigenki

Neo Member
What? Feeling/Expressing love is not exclusive to human or even earthlings.

My point wasn't about love being exclusive to humans.

What I was saying is (it's important that you read the complete argument): if Ego is so far removed from humanity, feeling love is a very human thing to do. So he is clearly not that removed from humanity. So, instead of killing his lover, he could have lived with Peter's mother until her death and then develop his plan. He is immortal, a human life is a walk in the park for him in terms of time. And he could've had the opportunity to raise Pewter as a celestial and maybe that way he would've succeded in his plan. But maybe Ego is nuts and stupid. It's a possibility.

Playsage

It was disappointing to me unfortunately.

I felt like it was written with a much younger audience in mind and it felt as though it was a first in the series type film, setting up those to follow it.
That's funny 'cause the loudest laughs in my theatre came from adults

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You know what I could totally see as well? That trilogy link begin to build. I think more than any other trilogy, this'll feel a lot more connected and coherent, particularly due to one unified director for once.

What are you thinking of? First thing that comes into my mind is the relationship between Peter and Gamorra, Drax about to find some peace, Grot growing up again and Nebula coming together with her sister.

Zaph

Wow, that was great. I really liked GotG, but this was the better film.

Not all the humour landed for me, but there was so much that did to more than make up for it. The character development was solid. The villain was great. And while the story revolved around Quinn, him taking a back-seat allowed all the Guardians to shine.

While I could easily watch an entire film of Yondu and Rocket taking on armies, they didn't shy away from the awful shit he did for Ego just to shoe-horn him into the Guardians, and instead gave him a great send-off. I hope they keep him dead, it actually mattered.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Will Gunn have a say in the Guardians participation in the Avengers? He should.

He will.

But honestly, after this I kinda feel like I'd prefer The Guardians/Thor/Nebula versus Thanos rather than The Avengers as a whole. I mean these Guardians have taken down one guy powered by an Infinity Stone AND a fucking Celestial being. I'm sure Thanos will be tough to kill, but I don't really see what Cap et al bring to the table particularly.

It's the same problem I had with Doctor Strange joining The Avengers. Strange/GOTG/Thor go up against cosmic/magical beings... they're so far removed from The Avengers as you can get, and I'm worried they'll all be nerfed so that Cap/Stark get their big moments.

There's also the fact that The Avengers only have 'protect Earth' as their stakes. Thor has 'you tortured my brother', Gamora and Nebula have the shit that Thanos did to them as kids, and Drax has the death of his family to avenge. So it's going to be odd if none of them are the ones to take Thanos down - while, at the same time, from an MCU focus it'll be weird if Iron Man doesn't get his big moment (RDJ is still 'the guy' in the MCU.)

So it's going to create a weird film because everyone has to have their moment, but Gamora or Nebula or Drax not killing Thanos is going to feel like a bit of a letdown.

And that's Gunn's fault I think. Well, fault is the wrong term. But he's done such a great job with that team and those characters that it's skewed things a bit away from it being an Avengers crossover. It feels kinda like how Fear Itself would've worked better as a Cap/Thor mini-crossover than a line-wide event.

MadmanUK

After hearing the buzz for this wasn't as high as the first movie my expectations were slightly diminished. But I think it's up there with the first movie tbh. The comedy didn't quite hit and I guessed the next line of dialogue on several occasions. Where it really hit was emotionally. So many feels. Father son, sisterly, adoptive father, there was so much going on. And for once I thought we finally have a really decent bad guy in Ego.

Oh and Weta blew it out of the park visually, we had a digitally younger actor that didn't completely rip you out of the experience.

Renpatsu

if Ego is so far removed from humanity, feeling love is a very human thing to do. So he is clearly not that removed from humanity. So, instead of killing his lover, he could have lived with Peter's mother until her death and then develop his plan. He is immortal, a human life is a walk in the park for him in terms of time. And he could've had the opportunity to raise Pewter as a celestial and maybe that way he would've succeded in his plan.

Ego does the things that he does because he lacks the basic empathy for mortal beings in the first place. The foundation of his entire plan is born from an inherent view that all life outside his own is lesser and not worthy of consideration. That coupled with the fact that as a Celestial he doesn't view relationships within the same paradigm as mortals, let alone on Human terms.

That is why he kills Peter's mother, not because he believes he has no choice, but because as an immortal being he believes that it is within his rights to make that choice for lesser beings. So don't mistake the honeyed words he may have told Peter about his mother as evidence for sincere affection when his actions tell us otherwise. The fact that, as you say, he could have lived with her until death, but chooses instead to give her a terminal illness rather than dealing with the hassle of a committed relationship in spite of his immortality is why he is a monster removed from humanity.

It's not a plot hole. It's choice informed from his character.

S1kkZ

Is it cgi or make up when it comes to Nebula? Cos either way, I really like her look.

mostly make-up with some cg enhancements.

saw the film yesterday: a ton of amazing scenes, that just dont connect that well together as a whole. some scenes go on for too long (groot and the fin) and some of the more emotional scenes dont manage the shift from serious --> funny --> sad/emotional --> funny again.

i still think the film was great, even with the pacing issues. every mcu film has 1-2 stand out scenes but gotg2 has just a fucking ton of them.
yondu showing off his skills with the arrow, almost every drax scene, rocket in the forest fight, opening with groot, the og guradians with fucking stallone, yondus crew beeing slowly killed in front of him, yondus death, adam warlock teased and stan lee hanging out with the watchers. also, this film is fucking gruesome at times.

not as good as the first one but still a great sequel.

cmon let the guys have their fun. why does that ruin a movie for you?

He will.

But honestly, after this I kinda feel like I'd prefer The Guardians/Thor/Nebula versus Thanos rather than The Avengers as a whole. I mean these Guardians have taken down one guy powered by an Infinity Stone AND a fucking Celestial being. I'm sure Thanos will be tough to kill, but I don't really see what Cap et al bring to the table particularly.

It's the same problem I had with Doctor Strange joining The Avengers. Strange/GOTG/Thor go up against cosmic/magical beings... they're so far removed from The Avengers as you can get, and I'm worried they'll all be nerfed so that Cap/Stark get their big moments.

There's also the fact that The Avengers only have 'protect Earth' as their stakes. Thor has 'you tortured my brother', Gamora and Nebula have the shit that Thanos did to them as kids, and Drax has the death of his family to avenge. So it's going to be odd if none of them are the ones to take Thanos down - while, at the same time, from an MCU focus it'll be weird if Iron Man doesn't get his big moment (RDJ is still 'the guy' in the MCU.)

So it's going to create a weird film because everyone has to have their moment, but Gamora or Nebula or Drax not killing Thanos is going to feel like a bit of a letdown.

And that's Gunn's fault I think. Well, fault is the wrong term. But he's done such a great job with that team and those characters that it's skewed things a bit away from it being an Avengers crossover. It feels kinda like how Fear Itself would've worked better as a Cap/Thor mini-crossover than a line-wide event.
yeah ironman, cap, winter soldier, spiderman, black panther, antman all seem pretty weak in comparison to vision, thor, hulk, guardians (in particular gamorra and now as he may use some celestial powers... star lord) and strange

and man compare that to the more street level guys like hawk eye, falcon and black widow. those guys are going to get stomped badly

DeathyBoy

Banned
Ego does the things that he does because he lacks the basic empathy for mortal beings in the first place. The foundation of his entire plan is born from an inherent view that all life outside his own is lesser and not worthy of consideration. That coupled with the fact that as a Celestial he doesn't view relationships within the same paradigm as mortals, let alone on Human terms.

That is why he kills Peter's mother, not because he believes he has no choice, but because as an immortal being he believes that it is within his rights to make that choice for lesser beings. So don't mistake the honeyed words he may have told Peter about his mother as evidence for sincere affection when his actions tell us otherwise. The fact that, as you say, he could have lived with her until death, but chooses instead to give her a terminal illness rather than dealing with the hassle of a committed relationship in spite of his immortality is why he is a monster removed from humanity.

It's not a plot hole. It's choice informed from his character.

And it's also nicely meta. Because Kurt Russell made a little film called The Thing where he was protecting a world against an alien menace, and three decades later he's playing the same role, but a villainous version. Kinda brilliant in a meta sense. And here I thought they'd involve Big Trouble In Little China comparisons.

Hell, the Guardians even win this time by cheating.

Sadist

Eeeeh

It's all Infinity Stones in the end and the Avengers all had some experience with those.

- Cap and the Cosmic Cube
- The Avengers as a group fighting off the Chitauri, Thanos's army controlled by a Infinity Stone
- Thor while fighting off Loki,Malekith and looking into it post Age of Ultron
- It gave Wanda and Pietro their powers
- Vision is powered by a stone
- Isn't the mind stone in posession of Strange? Or the Eye of Agamoto

Thanos will be stupid powerfull, but he will be brought down with group effort. The Guardians had the advantage of one Celestial in their group, but with Ego gone that's not an option.

Litan

He will.

The avengers have been caught up in infinity stone shenanigans and Thanos' schemes since phase 1 And Strange has the time gem. Not to mention Thanos is a threat to the whole Universe. Everyone has a stake in this war, including the cosmic races and empires.

The upcoming movies may have Avengers in their name, but it's really a Marvel crossover instead of an Avengers crossover. Avengers is their biggest brand though and, story-wise, there's a through-line from the the two Avengers movies to the upcoming ones, so no way they weren't going to put in the title.

Renpatsu

And it's also nicely meta. Because Kurt Russell made a little film called The Thing where he was protecting a world against an alien menace, and three decades later he's playing the same role, but a villainous version. Kinda brilliant in a meta sense. And here I thought they'd involve Big Trouble In Little China comparisons.

Hell, the Guardians even win this time by cheating.
Ah, didn't make that connection with his role in The Thing when I was watching the movie. The film I was thinking of was coincidentally another Carpenter film, Starman - as if Russell here was playing a sociopathic version of Jeff Bridges role here.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Eeeeh

It's all Infinity Stones in the end and the Avengers all had some experience with those.

- Cap and the Cosmic Cube
- The Avengers as a group fighting off the Chitauri, Thanos's army controlled by a Infinity Stone
- Thor while fighting off Loki,Malekith and looking into it post Age of Ultron
- It gave Wanda and Pietro their powers
- Vision is powered by a stone
- Isn't the mind stone in posession of Strange? Or the Eye of Agamoto

Thanos will be stupid powerfull, but he will be brought down with group effort. The Guardians had the advantage of one Celestial in their group, but with Ego gone that's not an option.

My point was more that The Avengers struggled with Loki and a bunch of generic soldiers, and a bunch of robots. The Guardians dealth with a dimension hopping eldrich abomination OFF-SCREEN in the opening of GOTG 2, while Baby Groot danced. The film practically screamed 'don't sweat it, they've got this' at us.

Avengers took longer taking down a Hydra base in comparison.

Ah, didn't make that connection with his role in The Thing when I was watching the movie. The film I was thinking of was coincidentally another Carpenter film, Starman - as if Russell here was playing a sociopathic version of Jeff Bridges role here.

I made that comparison too. Going in I was sure they'd make more Big Trouble In Little China ones, but I guess that was too obvious. Really nice stuff by Gunn, because despite it being kinda obvious going in I never assumed Russell would be the villain. He kinda played with my expectations there, because as it got more and more obvious I was all 'oh, right... shit.' Russell slowly morphing from nice guy to gigantic jackass was terrifying.

Top Bottom