• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2017 |OT| All in

Cake Boss

Banned
Creeper and the stolen children

JGlyaUu.gif

Socreges

Banned
Anybody with HBO needs to be watching Silicon Valley.
I haven't seen Season 3 yet as I heard it was a let down. Gonna start soon, though, as Season 4 is next month, I think?

Doubly so if you work in IT. Great show.

Not a big fan of Vice Principals though. It can be very funny, but it's just McBride doing McBride stuff.
Oh man. I didn't care for VP at the start, but it ended up being one of my favourite seasons of any comedy. Neal ends up being pretty complex and Lee Russell is just a great character. Goggins killed it.

Fair enough if you watched the entire season and didn't enjoy it, but otherwise I'd say go back and give it another shot.

Since a lot of you are playing Zelda and Mass Effect Andromeda I thought I'd share my thoughts on both.

Mass Effect Andromeda:

I'm currently on the second planet in the story and this game is a bit of a mixed bag. While the plot could be either good or bad in the original trilogy, I've always felt the series was held up with good characters and character moments. So it's disappointing that the crew in MEA is rather bland. The aliens that join the crew lack proper motivations for joiningup, which feels lazy. There's one exception where it feels more natural. Peebee is rather grating and has no redeeming qualities. Instead of learning about character's personalities through interaction they just blatantly tell you how they act, a little nuance and subtly would be welcomed. It's not all bad though, characters move around the ship/Ark more, very much like Mass Effect 3 (more frequently here) and interact with each other in interesting ways. The dialogue system has the potential to be an improvement, but falls short as sometimes the options feel too limited. In the interest of fun, the binary good/bad produced better results than casual/business. Animations can be terrible, but that's all been said by others. I've enjoyed the planets, they're the ME1 planets fully realized in an enjoyable manner. They could get a bit formulaic done the line, but that remains to be seen. Combat it also fun, which makes sense as this is the ME3 MP team. I somewhat miss the tight feeling of 2 and 3, but that wouldn't have worked with the more open planets.

Breath of the Wild:

I'm fairly deep into the main quest here, I have one dungeon left and have completed ~50 shrines. I'm enjoying the mechanics to the point it feels like the game was designed with my preferences in mind. Just about everything feels open ended, you're allowed so much creativity in combat. I love the minimal survival aspects, cooking, proper clothing, etc. Zelda has always had an appealing progression system, switching out weapon/armor for a given situation is much better than the arbitrary raising of numbers. Even the hotly contested weapon degradation system doesn't bother me. I actually enjoy that it encourages use of multiple weapons and abilities. This game is also oozing with charm, it made me laugh quite a lot. Both the combat puzzle and the puzzles proper are fun, they're not overly hard but you still feel good when completing them. This is definitely my game of the generation if we're counting Switch as PS4/XBone era. When I think I've seen everything the game continues to surprise me. It's been pure joy. The only issues I have are technical, the frame rate gets choppy.

Socreges

Banned
We talking about how good Zelda is again? Mmmm

It would convert even the most hardened cynic, but I know some people just aren't compelled to buy Nintendo consoles these days. And fair enough. But it's easily my GOTG. It's brilliant and top notch through and through. They've abandoned so many conventions that had for years held back their otherwise excellent game design.

Last ep I saw was the field trip. I'll give it another try.
That episode was tough since it had so little Lee/Neal and doubled down on the McBride douchiness. Keep going and my apologies if it still doesn't click...

Quick

Banned

It would convert even the most hardened cynic, but I know some people just aren't compelled to buy Nintendo consoles these days. And fair enough. But it's easily my GOTG. It's brilliant and top notch through and through. They've abandoned so many conventions that had for years held back their otherwise excellent game design.

I haven't had a real interest in a Nintendo console since the GameCube, but I really like the Switch and the BOTW demo I played during the Nintendo Switch event in Toronto a couple of months ago.

I just paid off my credit card and was thinking about buying it, but I figured I'd at least wait until more games come out, and just to get this sort of honeymoon phase to pass.

But having never played a Zelda game until the BOTW demo, it was easy enough to pick up and play, and it was a cool little demo to get acquainted with the world in a brief period.

Since a lot of you are playing Zelda and Mass Effect Andromeda I thought I'd share my thoughts on both.

Mass Effect Andromeda:

I'm currently on the second planet in the story and this game is a bit of a mixed bag. While the plot could be either good or bad in the original trilogy, I've always felt the series was held up with good characters and character moments. So it's disappointing that the crew in MEA is rather bland. The aliens that join the crew lack proper motivations for joiningup, which feels lazy. There's one exception where it feels more natural. Peebee is rather grating and has no redeeming qualities. Instead of learning about character's personalities through interaction they just blatantly tell you how they act, a little nuance and subtly would be welcomed. It's not all bad though, characters move around the ship/Ark more, very much like Mass Effect 3 (more frequently here) and interact with each other in interesting ways. The dialogue system has the potential to be an improvement, but falls short as sometimes the options feel too limited. In the interest of fun, the binary good/bad produced better results than casual/business. Animations can be terrible, but that's all been said by others. I've enjoyed the planets, they're the ME1 planets fully realized in an enjoyable manner. They could get a bit formulaic done the line, but that remains to be seen. Combat it also fun, which makes sense as this is the ME3 MP team. I somewhat miss the tight feeling of 2 and 3, but that wouldn't have worked with the more open planets.

Breath of the Wild:

I'm fairly deep into the main quest here, I have one dungeon left and have completed ~50 shrines. I'm enjoying the mechanics to the point it feels like the game was designed with my preferences in mind. Just about everything feels open ended, you're allowed so much creativity in combat. I love the minimal survival aspects, cooking, proper clothing, etc. Zelda has always had an appealing progression system, switching out weapon/armor for a given situation is much better than the arbitrary raising of numbers. Even the hotly contested weapon degradation system doesn't bother me. I actually enjoy that it encourages use of multiple weapons and abilities. This game is also oozing with charm, it made me laugh quite a lot. Both the combat puzzle and the puzzles proper are fun, they're not overly hard but you still feel good when completing them. This is definitely my game of the generation if we're counting Switch as PS4/XBone era. When I think I've seen everything the game continues to surprise me. It's been pure joy. The only issues I have are technical, the frame rate gets choppy.

So I'm about 8 hours in with ME:A and I think that the trial did a piss poor job of demoing the game. There is some clumsiness with character writing here and there, but the VO is much better and the dialogue hasn't really been bad at all. I've been doing a lot of the side quests and haven't got to any loyalty missions yet, so as far as crew stuff goes I'm going to wait and see how those are before I say much about the crew other than Peebee is still better than Jack.

Socreges

Banned
I haven't had a real interest in a Nintendo console since the GameCube, but I really like the Switch and the BOTW demo I played during the Nintendo Switch event in Toronto a couple of months ago.

I just paid off my credit card and was thinking about buying it, but I figured I'd at least wait until more games come out, and just to get this sort of honeymoon phase to pass.

But having never played a Zelda game until the BOTW demo, it was easy enough to pick up and play, and it was a cool little demo to get acquainted with the world in a brief period.
Personally, I only bought the Switch at launch because I'd sold off a bunch of games so it was easy to justify. But otherwise I'd recommend holding off on adopting early. Especially if you're not a Zelda fanatic. While my Switch is flawless, it sounds like there's the predictable amount of faulty hardware and even accessory shortages. You've also gotta be sure you give a shit about the other games once you're finally done with Zelda. I know I'll move on to games like Mario and Fire Emblem so it's a no brainer for me.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure i would enjoy Zelda, but I'm just not big into Nintendo, never have been really. Also I'm don't really care to game on the go either.

Chris R

I wish I found BOTW fun :(

I'll consider getting a switch, just won't be for another year at the least. Outside of Zelda there is zero I'm interested in that I can't play on other systems.

Marvie_3

Banned

Thats one of the biggest positives for me. The game allows you so much more freedom that almost any other Zelda game. Throwing out the Zelda rulebook was the best thing they could have done with the series.

I'm sure i would enjoy Zelda, but I'm just not big into Nintendo, never have been really. Also I'm don't really care to game on the go either.
Thats because the only place you go is out to get your paper in the morning.

imBask

Banned
Zelda might be in my top 5-10 of all time and i'm not even going full Dopey

i'm 60h in and it's still the only thing I feel like playing, and i'm still finding surprises by the minute

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone watch the show Rake on Netflix? It is like an Australian Californication expect the main character is lawyer. Decent show.

Pikma

Banned
Hey hey hey Xia stop trying to spoil unique zelda moments, or I'll report you to a mod!

I haven't played it yet ;_;

Socreges

Banned

Marvie_3

Banned
Zelda might be in my top 5-10 of all time and i'm not even going full Dopey

i'm 60h in and it's still the only thing I feel like playing, and i'm still finding surprises by the minute
Yeah its rocketing to the top of my favorite games of all time list. Im well over 100 hours and theres still places ive never been and new shit im finding all the time.

Sorry i forgot your daily old country buffet breakfast

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't The Mummy Schuey go out to play hockey every now and then or is that made up?

Lol, yup. I actually played a lot last week. Had a few games with my regular team then was in an over 35 tournament.

My last game Sunday night we won 12-1. We basically had three lines to there 4 subs. No respek by us!

Top Bottom