• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST 06.12: "Everybody Loves Hugo" (Because He's Like The Best Character On The Show)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know that someone posted a new "Pics That Make You Laugh For Apparent Reasons" thread.

Oh wait. It's just the LOST thread. Damn.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Domino Theory said:
The official sneak peek for next week's episode...

OMFG.
I know, right?! The wait is already maddening!

Just watched the episode. Another very good episode, damn. I was down on this season early, but the last few episodes have really impressed me.

Kevtones

Oh trust me... I've tried to like this season. I'm usually 3 drinks deep and borderline jubilant by the time the opening logo does its thing. I also make sure to sober up for a second viewing which usually makes it even more disappointing.

PS it's good to critique things that are shitty (like picking Adam Morrison)

I Push Fat Kids said:
Oh trust me... I've tried to like this season. I'm usually 3 drinks deep and borderline jubilant by the time the opening logo does its thing. I also make sure to sober up for a second viewing which usually makes it even more disappointing.

PS it's good to critique things that are shitty (like picking Adam Morrison)

a9s7zl.gif

so, i was reading thru the thread until i got to this post, specifically this part

Coolio McAwesome said:
* The mysterious kid that showed up on the Island in the most recent episode was not the same kid that we've seen in the past. It was obviously the same actor, but his hair color was clearly different. (His hair is blond in this clip, but his hair was a completely different color in the last episode.) We've now seen at least two different kids now that have the same face and the same basic personality. If you haven't figured it out yet, these kids are essentially the Oompa Loompas. I expect them to start singing by next episode.

then it dawned on me... what if MIB's name is Jacob? and it's like Superman 3 where he's fighting with himself?

LOST

Nameless said:
For the record, this isn't directed at anyone in particular, but it perplexes me to no end why people go out of their way not to enjoy something. Much less something they claim to be a fan off. To 'waste' their time merely to have something to complain about. Why? There literally has never been a show on TV where one couldn't over scrutinize to the point of negativity. Not one. Jesus Jacob Christ, being in a constant state of malcontent can't at all be pleasant, can it? If you feel LOST sucks, as someone said earlier, stop watching. You'll never find a simpler solution to anything. The "I invested 5 years" argument is bullshit..Why torture yourself? What does that say about your life that you rather spend it negatively than.. not? The most logical course of action would be to stop watching now, and if you must, finish off the series in a chunk once it's concludes instead of miserably trudging through the rest of it(that's what I'm going to do with the last 7 or so episodes of Heroes at some point).

Not saying LOST threads have to be a giant circle jerk but there's a difference between smart criticism and incessant bitching. There's a difference between pointing out plot holes and shitting on the story by jumping to conclusions about what you can't possibly know when there's still six hours left in the narrative. And just because the writers didn't take the series in the direction of some lame-ass theories you spent far too much time coming up with doesn't mean the season is lame or poorly done. Some of the shit, some of the stupid ass fuckin drivel posted in this thread(s) has just wrong & ill-informed, if not pulled directly from someone's ass and slapped on the keyboard. FUCK.

Only 6 hours left. At least try to enjoy it. Do it for me. And if you you think I'm an asshole do it for yourself. You might fine that the sun's a little brighter in the morning.

I think you are overstating how displeased some of us are.

This season isn't as good as I would have hoped...but it's not that big a deal, and I don't see anyone really melting down over it. We've all seen much worse television, nobody is saying this is torture, some just think the quality has dropped.

The show has a strong fan culture surrounding it that somewhat demands serious viewers to keep up with it weekly. Everyone I know that watches the show likes to chat about it every now and again, it's not like The Office or something where it doesn't really matter if you see it live or even if you see the episodes in order. Avoiding spoilers is important. Recaps, podcast, reviews, forum discussions, etc all factor into watching the show. Sure you could partake in some of this after it ends, but it clearly wouldn't be the same. And it's a show that comes on at 9 PM, on a Tuesday...maybe if it came on at 8 on a Friday night it might be worth it to wait for DVD, but I think it's pretty smart to ride this out to the end.

Keep in mind that seasons have jumped in quality before in the past, many find Season 1 and 4 to be the best, with 2 and 3 lacking a bit, and 5 seems to be love or hate. After last season ended time travel, it was only logical to stick with season 6 if only because you knew we were going to get something different. And it's not like people were going to watch the first five minutes and say "you know what, this sucks, I'll catch the rest on DVD"...the discontent needs at least a few episodes to boil, and by that point, you've got to factor in that even after shitty episodes like WKD, people are still going to remember "Oh, but there is a Richard episode coming up" or "Well, we haven't even seen Desmond yet". To cut to the chase, I don't think it's fair to just say "stop watching if you don't like it". Most of the people that quit did so during or after the 3rd season and I doubt they are coming back.

MMaRsu

Banned
entrement said:
What a stinker of an episode. Dynamite again? Really?

The last time dynamite was used was quite some time ago no? And Illana wasn't even there, and she was pretty sure about what she wanted to do.

Who cares if they used the dynamite as a plot device to blow her up? Who caresssssssssssssssssssz

She was warned by Hurley, and she acted like a moron and got her ass blown up.

FUCK

Nameless said:

This. You know, at the end of the day we all have to accept that Lost is not and never will be a flawless production, and to waste precious time complaining about trivia that is ultimately irrelevant to the overall vibe of the show kind of ruins what there is to love, what's been there to love since the beginning. Since Season 1 there have been occasional moments that warranted an eye roll or a shake of the head, but they've always been framed by entertaining plots and wonderful character work.

I just don't get it. The creators are giving you a show that's a thousand times more entertaining than anything else on television right now, and it's a show that's pretty damn smart to boot. And then people complain because it's not Citizen Kane.

Edit:

Liara T'Soni, I agree with what you're saying, actually, and I don't think Nameless's post was directed at this kind of criticism [I too think there are weaker elements of this season: for instance, the plots in the sideways universe feel pretty hokey and contrived at times (Chicken Shack guy donating to a museum? Driveshaft playing at the Whitmore's party? Rly?)], which is obviously thoughtful and coming from somebody who loves the show. I assume he was referring more to the people who threaten to quit watching the show because now that a certain attractive character is gone there's no point in watching this stupid show or because of some similarly idiotic reason.

Solo

SpeedingUptoStop said:
They probably all have contributed their own ideas to the mythology and where eps should go, but Darlton are usually the final say. We probably give them more credit than they deserve a lot of the time, just because it's easier to sum it up to two guys doing the whole thing.

They basically covered this in that BAFTA video someone posted in last week's thread. The episode writers come up with a "draft", then Cuse and Lindelof mark everything up, make changes, converse some more, make more changes, and then that becomes the first real draft. Sounds like for non-Lindelof episodes, what the credited writers actually wrote could have been changed wholesale by the time it airs.

entrement said:
What a stinker of an episode. Dynamite again? Really?

Yeah, dont you hate it when a show that is going out of its way to evoke its first season in its last drops in a playful reference?

This season reminds me of MGS4. So much homage and references to the previous games that a fan will be drowning in cum, yet those who just want to play and not care about those stuff will be left with a "Really? That's it?" feeling.

I... am drowning in cum.

gdt

Solo said:
They basically covered this in that BAFTA video someone posted in last week's thread. The episode writers come up with a "draft", then Cuse and Lindelof mark everything up, make changes, converse some more, make more changes, and then that becomes the first real draft. Sounds like for non-Lindelof episodes, what the credited writers actually wrote could have been changed wholesale by the time it airs.

Yep.

They change and edit every single draft of every script, plus make plenty of other decisions (casting, they edit every episode, etc).

It boggles my mind too, thats alot of work for a quick airing schedule.

Solo

Don't worry, ducky. I am taking note of everyone who does not believe. When the day of reckoning comes and the BOSS returns, they will all be Artz'd. Except for TheGreatDave, who will be Caesar'd.

meppi

Drealmcc0y said:
4 of the spoiler sources have rated the finale. Although they havent seen the whole script, just most of it.

Time for me to quit the internet for the next month then. :(

See you in 4 weeks...

Radogol

So, ITT, I'm seeing references to a
hospital
scene and many hints that Solo will be a sad man come next week. Guys, I'm just a lowly junior, but please spoiler tag the preview info.

:(

Cheech

Solo said:
Yeah, dont you hate it when a show that is going out of its way to evoke its first season in its last drops in a playful reference?

No shit. And for the guy who bitched, it was season ONE where somebody last got blown up via dynamite. Christ.

I spend quite a bit of time obsessing over this show, but apparently not enough to sit and nitpick it to death.

BTW, I started Battlestar Galactica last night; I'm halfway through the second "half" of the pilot. Pretty good so far. I'm interested to see where it goes, even though I will probably still be watching it past the Lost finale. That is a hell of a lot of Blu Rays! :lol

greepoman

Radogol said:
So, ITT, I'm seeing references to a
hospital
scene and many hints that Solo will be a sad man come next week. Guys, I'm just a lowly junior, but please spoiler tag the preview info.

:(

There is no
hospital
scene in the preview, it's just common sense. Sun just got shot...hmmm, wonder where she's going; locke just run over....hmm I wonder where he's going, etc. Oh and guess who happens to be a doctor. They could still end up at different
hospitals

Solo said:
Don't worry, ducky. I am taking note of everyone who does not believe. When the day of reckoning comes and the BOSS returns, they will all be Artz'd. Except for TheGreatDave, who will be Caesar'd.

I'm not sure why people are having such a hard problem seeing this. It's a classic part of storytelling. IMO the show has been BUILDING UP something for Locke to do, in the end. Hell. People think we're crazy for thinking this, but I think they're crazy for not seeing the obvious. You don't spend six seasons of a story that for a large part dwells on one character who puts so much stake in something, only to have him die a very anti-climactic death and just be done with. Storytelling doesn't work that way and I'm not sure why so many seem as opposed to it as they are. If they don't redeem Locke in some capacity, Lost will be the biggest letdown in history for me, personally. I'm not saying he will come back to life. I'm saying that somehow, something concerning his character, something important and awesome will happen that needs to happen in order for the story to come to a close.

But again, what boggles my mind the most is how people are so against it. Who wouldn't want Locke to do something fucking amazing after all the shit he's been through? That's like the whole point of his character and an overall moral of Lost: if you believe in something, you keep at it no matter what. That's what Locke did and because of it he will see some redemption. And if you ask me? That clip for the next episode only makes it EVEN MORE evident than it already was.

"Because he was stupid enough to believe that he was brought here for a reason."

Biggest red herring of all time? Possibly so.

Solo

brandonh83 said:
I'm not sure why people are having such a hard problem seeing this. It's a classic part of storytelling. IMO the show has been BUILDING UP something for Locke to do, in the end. Hell. People think we're crazy for thinking this, but I think they're crazy for not seeing the obvious. You don't spend six seasons of a story that for a large part dwells on one character who puts so much stake in something, only to have him die a very anti-climactic death and just be done with. Storytelling doesn't work that way and I'm not sure why so many seem as opposed to it as they are. If they don't redeem Locke in some capacity, Lost will be the biggest letdown in history for me, personally. I'm not saying he will come back to life. I'm saying that somehow, something concerning his character, something important and awesome will happen that needs to happen in order for the story to come to a close.

But again, what boggles my mind the most is how people are so against it. Who wouldn't want Locke to do something fucking amazing after all the shit he's been through? That's like the whole point of his character and an overall moral of Lost: if you believe in something, you keep at it no matter what. That's what Locke did and because of it he will see some redemption. And if you ask me? That clip for the next episode only makes it EVEN MORE evident than it already was.

"Because he was stupid enough to believe that he was brought here for a reason."

Biggest red herring of all time? Possibly so.

I think we just became brothers.

greepoman

Radogol said:
Not even in the sneak peek? If so, I apologize.

I didn't even realize preview and sneak peek were different things until you cause me to google it right now...now I've seen something I wish I hadn't :lol Not because it really spoiled anything but the conversation made me even more hyped for next week.

Also there's no
hospital scene
in the 'sneak peek' either.

Regarding Locke's possible or inevitable resurrection, let's just agree to have faith in the writers to do whatever they end up doing well. I've done my fair share of speculative complaining about directions the show might take. Specifically, I had this sense of dread that they might turn the flash sideways into some sort of 'heaven' scenario in which characters are granted their deepest wishes. I felt like it would be predictable and stupid, and I was kind of upset at the thought of having to deal with that plot element because I thought the writers were above that kind of thing. Well, here we are. They did exactly what I didn't want them to do, BUT they did it in such a way that I can't help but still love the show, and I'm still fascinated and can't wait to see what comes next.

So what if they do or don't bring him back? The show will be what it will be, and whatever it will be, I'm sure there's a reason for it that most will find enjoyable, if not entirely satisfying.

gdt

Ok, a thought just occurred to me.

Seeing as how Smokey would often turn into/impersonate ghosts, would if Ghost-Locke (by way of Hurley, I guess) were to reclaim his body from Smokey. Or, more accurately, take Smokey's body (which is just a copy of Locke's).

Would not Locke have all of Smokey's abilities then?

Locke would be the new Smokey, without all of the malice and hate and will to leave the Island.

I haven't decided if that's acceptable to me, but I could see it happening...

duckroll

I think it's just a sort of role reversal now. When the series started, Locke was the believer and Jack was the skeptic. Jack was the man of science who had to know everything and fix everything, while Locke was the one who just accepted his purpose and wanted to do the island's work.

Along the way, Locke dies doing what he believes he was fated to do. We do know that the candidates are all special and they were indeed chosen as potential successors to Jacob. So what Locke did by dying was to bring everyone back together, and to create a spark of belief in Jack. From that point on Jack started believing more and more, and letting himself become less restrained by whys and ifs, and he's slowly becoming more like Locke.

Meanwhile in a stroke of irony, Locke's likeness is now taken by the main antagonist, who stands against everything the island is, and serves only to dispel all hope and belief anyone has in the island because he wants to destroy it and escape. In his eyes, Locke was just a part of his own plan, and he failed in his role as a candidate.

Ultimately, Locke could well have died that pathetic and worthless death and never return to life or have any other major action again. But instead of being a failure, he could simply have been the very reason Jack decides to do what he ultimately does - oppose NotLocke.

StuBurns

Banned
The X Files did the same thing, for about six years Mulder was a believer, and Scully wasn't, then they suddenly switched for a while. It annoyed me there, but I like Jack's journey to belief, so far at least.

duckroll said:
Meanwhile in a stroke of irony, Locke's likeness is now taken by the main antagonist, who stands against everything the island is, and serves only to dispel all hope and belief anyone has in the island because he wants to destroy it and escape. In his eyes, Locke was just a part of his own plan, and he failed in his role as a candidate.

The first thing I thought when I found out that Darkman took the guise of Locke was "oh no he did not." :lol

duckroll said:
Ultimately, Locke could well have died that pathetic and worthless death and never return to life or have any other major action again. But instead of being a failure, he could simply have been the very reason Jack decides to do what he ultimately does - oppose NotLocke.

Sure, this is possible. And sensible. The thing that keeps telling me that there's going to be way more to it is the new information we have. It just seems so blatant to me at this point. You have Desmond over in the X timeline showing them the truth. Things from the island are starting to bleed over into the XTL <---can this be the new official acronym? Anyway, right from the get-go of this season, we had a Jack and Locke scene were Jack expressed interest in taking a look at Locke's condition. Locke tells himself and Helen that he's not going to do it. He comes close to calling the good lord Shephard a few times but never does. He needs a final push to get to meet up with Jack again, but too bad it was in the form of the brothamobile.

I'm just seeing all the events in the XTL as something that will lead up to MIB's downfall. It seems likely to me that Jack may fix Locke in the XTL and this will have an on-island effect of some sort. Notice I'm saying all this stuff without mentioning Locke busting up out of his grave. I don't think that will happen. I'm just arguing that it's plainly clear to me that Locke will, in some form and in some fashion, help the characters out in a big way.

Solo

InaudibleWhispa said:
I wonder if when Desmond meets Penny for coffee a certain Miss Burke will be there.

Desmond already met Penny for coffee. They were meeting an hour after they met in the stadium. Before the events of this last episode. In other words, we're not going to see that scene.

Solo said:
Desmond already met Penny for coffee. They were meeting an hour after they met in the stadium. Before the events of this last episode. In other words, we're not going to see that scene.
Hmm, probably not. But I've no doubt we'll see the Juliet scene at some point. I wonder how it's going to tie in.

Solo

InaudibleWhispa said:
Hmm, probably not. But I've no doubt we'll see the Juliet scene at some point. I wonder how it's going to tie in.

Des will visit Sawyer, somehow create the circumstances by which he and Juliet will meet for coffee, and voila - Sawyer's flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom