• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-2017 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT| Villanova has no fans so this is their thread

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
This group isn't going to be ready to put teams away and stomp on their throats until Grayson is 100% healthy again. He's the only one willing to do it. Our only asshole. Xmas break can't come soon enough for him.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
gg UF gaf. You have to feel better about that than the SEC championship game.

Duke is in an odd place. Bolden needs to get back into game shape. I'd still like Jeter and Vrank to get some minutes. Tatum and Kennard can light up anyone, lil Scrappy just needs to get over his turf toe injury and he'll be fine, he still facilitated tonight.

And oh yeah, Harry Giles........................soon.

EDIT: Forgot Frank Jackson. He had a bad game today but he can drive and score as well. This team just needs the right rotation to gel, that is if K doesn't fuck everything up. Why isn't he at Shady Pines again? Someone get Kevin White on the phone.

scoobs

I don't remember last years NCAA bball thread being this Duke dominant. Seems like the only people posting in here are here to discuss Duke games.

pxleyes

Banned
truly101, we knew what we were getting in Atlanta. Tonight was a crapshoot. We had nothing to lose, so the general hope was we would go all in to try and disrupt the flow of the game. Worked at times, but when you are outmatched it doesbt sustain you.

Come March I expect Florida to get a decent seed and make a run to at least the second weekend. Anything past that is gravy, and for a second year coach in White, it would solidify his position and hopefully give him the decelerate to mold the program how he sees fit. It's a tough transition coming away from Donovan. Duke is going to have similar problems the day K hangs it up. You're used to a certain style of product on the court, and it can be hard to accept change without some success with the new formula.

I don't remember last years NCAA bball thread being this Duke dominant. Seems like the only people posting in here are here to discuss Duke games.

Hey, we gave Villanova their own thread and I've put out a search party (twice!) for Nova Fan, although they've been distracted as they are also trying to find Matt Jones' game.

Soon

NEW YORK -- Duke freshman Harry Giles continues to improve after undergoing an arthroscopic procedure, and his coach is hopeful that the top player in his class will be able to play for the Blue Devils before the year is out.

Mike Krzyzewski said Giles still has not participated in a full-contact practice, so he's hesitant to put a timetable on Giles' return, but the coach is optimistic that day is nearing.

"I'm hoping before Christmas, those two games we have [against Tennessee State on Dec. 19 and Elon on Dec. 21],'' Krzyzewski said. "I don't want to put a gun to his head, like you have to do it. We'll see how he does during the exam period.''

Krzyzewski said Giles has been practicing, but because the Blue Devils have so many injured players, there hasn't been much opportunity for him to even find time to participate in a full-contact practice.

Giles has been participating in pregame warm-ups. He drew a crowd as he threw down a few big dunks before Duke's 84-74 win over Florida on Tuesday night.

Giles, who tore both of his ACLs in high school, had an arthroscopic procedure in October, before the Duke season began.

"I don't want to make a mistake and bring him back too quickly,'' Krzyzewski said.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...zyzewski-hopeful-harry-giles-return-christmas

It's always pretty much only been UK, Duke, UNC

UNC-GAF has completely disappeared and UK-GAF is much more sparse than normal.

Hopefully it'll pick up more and we'll get more...variety in topics as we get into conference play.

As much as I love discussing the beauty of a Matt Jones airball and Javin Delaurier transfer rumors.

thefro

Hopefully it'll pick up more and we'll get more...variety in topics as we get into conference play.

There's a few IU folks, although not much to talk about when we only play total creampuffs outside of Kansas, UNC, Butler, and Louisville until the Big Ten starts(and Fort Wayne, lol).

UK-GAFfer here. I post in here occasionally.

Duke looked really good last night that was the first game of theirs I got to see a lot of. Scary to think you all aren't even 100% yet.

I was optimistic about UKs inside presence but we got exposed last game. The lack of it and our inability to switch on defense really got taken advantage of by UCLA.

Hopefully our boys come together and Cal can get them to continue to execute a gameplan and stick to the fundamentals when things get rough. I have a better feeling about this year's team than I have about any other in the last few years. As long as they learn from losses like this last one we should be able to make a run in March.

As much as I love discussing the beauty of a Matt Jones airball and Javin Delaurier transfer rumors.

I was looking around, none of the usuals are banned. So I can only think that somebody killed them. Did you, Grover? Did you kill Bowser?

Fjordson

Not posting as much in here because I feel oddly gloomy about this year's UK team. Had a lot of hype and a great class, but with no true small forward and spotty shooting I don't think they'll go far in the tourney.

UCLA gaf here. This year is basically a "all in" year for Alford.

Doesn't help our neighbors down the street(USCw) are great this year too.

Washington is getting destroyed by Gonzaga. Might not make the tournament at this rate.

Markelle Fultz = 2016-17 Ben Simmons

Although Simmons showed that it didn't matter that he was on a bad college team in the end, he still was taken 1st in the draft.

I wonder how much rope Lorenzo Romar has there. The man can clearly recruit but is a perennial underachiever.

Although Simmons showed that it didn't matter that he was on a bad college team in the end, he still was taken 1st in the draft.

I wonder how much rope Lorenzo Romar has there. The man can clearly recruit but is a perennial underachiever.

I feel bad for him more than I did for Simmons. Everyone knew that LSU team wasn't going to be that good when he announced he was going there. Washington looked really promising until Chriss and Murray both declared for the NBA, and it would have been really shitty of him to change his mind after that.

Proelite

After watching Washington in person, ive come to the conclusion that Lorenzo Lomar is one of the worst XO coaches in bball on any level. The opposing Yale team would go on a 6 to 8 point run after every timeout, whether that be Huskie's, Yale's or Media. Can't be more balant than that.

From ND Head Coach Mike Brey

CzQpsMJVIAA3gAN.jpg

Brey talking like Duke still doesn't have more players on their roster (right now) who have won national championships than Notre Dame has as a school in their history.*

*No I'm not counting Helms Foundation titles. If the rims were still peach baskets, it doesn't count as a legit national championship. Sorry UNC fan

Don't get mad because you can't recruit those type of players.

Fjordson

I agree with him. Coach K should probably send Jayson Tatum packing, maybe lend him to UK for the rest of the year. Makes more sense. We'll take Giles off his hands also!

the weird hand-wringing over one and dones will never be not lame

UCF moved to 7-1 earlier tonight. Star point guard injured his thumb last game and is out for a few weeks until at least the start of conference play.

Big loss given lack of depth. They blew out their team today, but they clearly missed BJ Taylor. At least some of the walk-ons got some minutes at the end of the game. Hopefully they drop no more than one of their remaining OOC games. George Washington and Penn should be the toughest remaining opponents.

Johnny Dawkins has this team looking competent this season.

Tennessee looks like they're gonna job this game away.

Florida State avoiding jobbing to Florida

What could have been a great day for Duke turned into a meh day

Fjordson

I was working today. Just heard a bit of the UK game on the radio. Any major takeaways from the guys' performances?
Not a whole lot. Our guards continue to be really good. And not just Monk and Fox, but Briscoe also. He couldn't be stopped finishing inside and even hit two 3's.

Defense and rebounding inside remains a bit iffy, though. Need more energy from Bam and Wenyen. Being able to lean on those two + the three guards on defense is gonna be key because that lineup is beastly on offense. The pace kinda gets bogged down when Cal has to bring in Humphries, but he sort of has no choice when we can't control the paint.

Top Bottom