• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archer: Dreamland - Now Archer's Really a Dick - Season 8 |OT| Wednesdays on FXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanently A

I'm surprised at all the negative comments. I blasted through this season yesterday and loved it. I like the reversed power dynamic of Cyril being a cop over Archer being a PI. I really liked the Prison Break episode because of all the musicians. A lot of people are saying they're tired of Barry - I'm okay with it because it gave us that hilarious Kreiger backstory (he was a Jew the whole time . I'm actually really tired of Cheryl, her crazy lady persona is just irritating at this point. Poovey has been excellent this season with her Chinese family dreams and constantly fucking with Cyril like Archer fucked his wife. Also I enjoyed Archer being a mess around Lana, subconsciously that must be how he views her.

In terms of humor, I've really never found Archer to be laugh out loud except for that one gimp murder episode, but I really liked the rimshot gag, the asshole joke between Krieger and Archer, and the marijuana bit.

I mean, unless there's some really touching story about how George Coe would've loved this... Normal Archer next season please.

vypek

I mean, unless there's some really touching story about how George Coe would've loved this... Normal Archer next season please.

I can't imagine the theme will be here another season. I thought for sure we'd see more real world stuff again unless I missed it. Was there a scene after the credits? My DVR cut off.

Also I have to admit while I didn't like this season as much as others that the Lana scene in this actually did make me laugh after a bit

I can't imagine the theme will be here another season. I thought for sure we'd see more real world stuff again unless I missed it. Was there a scene after the credits? My DVR cut off.

Also I have to admit while I didn't like this season as much as others that the Lana scene in this actually did make me laugh after a bit
Nope. Nothing after.

From the interview CB posted...
So, it still could take some time in the Dreamland world?

Or in a different world.

Do you feel a responsibility to go back to the present day or are you just having fun exploring?

I don’t feel a responsibility to come back to the present day. And now that FX has let us open this can of worms, I’m excited to see where else we can go.
Sigh.

NEO0MJ

I'm surprised at all the negative comments. I blasted through this season yesterday and loved it

While I wouldn't say I loved it, I thought it was good. Still not bored with cyborg Barry, either.
I wonder how much stock we should put into Krieger's backstory here, though. don't forget that this is all in Archer's head.

While I'm disappointed that the real world state of archer wasn't resolved, I still have to say I enjoyed this season a lot. It definitely wasn't as laugh out loud funny as some other seasons but the characters are still great. Pam, as usual, was the highlight for me.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What an absolutely awful season - easily the worst, which is saying something considering how bad Vice was. At least Vice was vaguely amusing though (in parts. it was mostly just obnoxious as shit) - Dreamland was a total bore and almost completely devoid of humor. The only funny part in the finale was when they kept shooting Lana by accident and the only decent episode in the whole season was the second one.

I can't believe this is being dragged out for another two seasons.

Sigh.

Rymuth

I thought Poovy lived in an apartment?

Also, per the interview above, this is very typical of Adam Reed shows. Characters killed, storylines go unresolved or abandoned. There's a very improvisational quality to his shows. I've taught myself not to get too invested (which is hard, as I always end up loving his characters) because the story's never goes where you want it.

What an absolutely awful season - easily the worst, which is saying something considering how bad Vice was. At least Vice was vaguely amusing though (in parts. it was mostly just obnoxious as shit) - Dreamland was a total bore and almost completely devoid of humor. The only funny part in the finale was when they kept shooting Lana by accident and the only decent episode in the whole season was the second one.

Vice sucked, but it occasionally made me laugh. I never laughed during Dreamland. It didn't even feel like humor was a goal.
I thought Poovy lived in an apartment?

Also, per the interview above, this is very typical of Adam Reed shows. Characters killed, storylines go unresolved or abandoned. There's a very improvisational quality to his shows. I've taught myself not to get too invested (which is hard, as I always end up loving his characters) because the story's never goes where you want it.
He definitely drops storylines, but usually not stuff that matters. Plus Sealab was affected by a death and Frisky Dingo by a cancellation. He needs SOME slack, but FX has given him too much. He needs to outline stuff and at least come back to and resolve the broad strokes. Nobody wants 20 seasons of meandering, humorless Archer.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

honestly vice wasnt even as bad as the season that followed. season 6 is hard to watch again

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

Vice actually works pretty well when binged and the finale was legit funny. This season though has just been bad.

Ray Down

Banned
If this season is as bad as Vice I shouldn't really try it.

Vice had some good stuff (all the jungle stuff with Archer and some bits with the finale), but overall it was just bad and anything involving Pam and Cheryl was just terribly unfunny.

Wait they killed Lana, an extra fuck you to this season then!

Santiako

Boring end to a boring season.

They implied Archer died in the real world, but I hope next season we go back to normal. Have them in an office setting again please.

Jackpot

Banned
NdoIm7.gif

The WW2 flashbacks are this season in a microcosm. They serve no purpose. Basic story-telling means that they should either centre on the same event that is later revealed and resolved for character purposes, or it should serve to propel Archer into a berserker rage to help move present-day events forward. But nothing happens. Every so often the scene gets a WW2 overlay and then it disappears.

vypek

NdoIm7.gif

The WW2 flashbacks are this season in a microcosm. They serve no purpose. Basic story-telling means that they should either centre on the same event that is later revealed and resolved for character purposes, or it should serve to propel Archer into a berserker rage to help move present-day events forward. But nothing happens. Every so often the scene gets a WW2 overlay and then it disappears.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. They could have at least used it in the end when he was being choked out as having it as a flashback and then killing the person in the flashback and coming back to real world with a dead Barry there

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Yeah I've been thinking the flashbacks are a weird kinda nonsensical choice. Honestly, ige been viewing the entire season as the creators experimenting with possible new show ideas. I can not see Archer continuing for very much longer at this rate. And maybe thats a good thing.

Ernest

Banned
Since they started the season in present, "real" time, I thought they'd end it there to, regardless of Archer waking up or not. Guess they wanted to leave their options open. Only one more season, right?

vypek

Yeah I've been thinking the flashbacks are a weird kinda nonsensical choice. Honestly, ige been viewing the entire season as the creators experimenting with possible new show ideas. I can not see Archer continuing for very much longer at this rate. And maybe thats a good thing.

It's got at least 2 more years. I hope the last years will not be thematic seasons

Since they started the season in present, "real" time, I thought they'd end it there to, regardless of Archer waking up or not. Guess they wanted to leave their options open. Only one more season, right?

Guaranteed 9 & 10 actually. 8 episodes each. After that might be the end as I think it was already discussed as being a 10 season show

Personally I loved the season and laughed quite a bit. The wordplay felt like a modern His Girl Friday.

Wish there could have been some resolution or return to the real world though.

big ander

I thought this was better than vice. It wasn't joke-a-second but I laughed plenty. And I just like the aesthetic and animation, the art on this show has stayed fantastic.

However, if they weren't going to pull back to the real world, they should not have started there. And the ww2 flashes, what the hell? Why were those there if they weren't going to pay off? It's not even about missing resolution to the "main" story of Archer—I want that eventually but am fine having it delayed for a season—but having the individual dreamland story be so shoddily constructed is dumb.

Not going to lie, for most of this season, I was browsing online while watching the show. If a show is really good, I give it my undivided attention.

Zubz

Banned
There were a lot of problems with that finale, but the biggest one opened up the same wound the Samurai Jack one just did for me:
It was all for nothing. Just like Jack's 50 years in the future amounted to little more than a second swing at Aku, with that entire future disappearing, this season still has us stuck in this coma dream. Not even a peek at the real world. Just a little elseworld with a lot of unrealized plot points.

If they're not going to return to the main story, then why doesn't Reed just drop Archer for another show. I saw his last one about the apocalypse got nixed; was there a reason for that? It looked cool, & if there wasn't another show to get an Archer fix from, I'm sure the show would've fared better. Doubly so since I think the move to FXX might've killed it, since Archer was supposed to stay on FX while Cassius & Clay (I think that was the name?) debuted on FXX.

Sigh.
Just watched the finale.
As its own thing it was alright
But within Archer as a whole it was pretty bad and if this kinda thing is going to continue i think im done with the rest of this show. Which sucks because i still love the earlier seasons.

so, having watched this season on Netflix, I don't see any of the complaints you guys have to it. For one, episode six was so worth it.

They do lean heavily on metagags, particularly with the visuals of those flashbacks and barry going full on T2. Which is kind of another metagag since obviously that doesn't make sense until you consider it's Archer dreaming it, so of course he would know it and recreate it in his mind.

So knowing all that, I thoroughly enjoyed this season, though I'll give you being able to binge it makes it more enjoyable than if I had to wait a week between each episode.

so, having watched this season on Netflix, I don't see any of the complaints you guys have to it. For one, episode six was so worth it.

They do lean heavily on metagags, particularly with the visuals of those flashbacks and barry going full on T2. Which is kind of another metagag since obviously that doesn't make sense until you consider it's Archer dreaming it, so of course he would know it and recreate it in his mind.

So knowing all that, I thoroughly enjoyed this season, though I'll give you being able to binge it makes it more enjoyable than if I had to wait a week between each episode.

Same here. I watched it all on Netflix and really enjoyed it. The kinda different takes on the characters was pretty entertaining and I quite liked the time period.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Same here. I watched it all on Netflix and really enjoyed it. The kinda different takes on the characters was pretty entertaining and I quite liked the time period.

its a lot easier to take in back to back than to wait a week between episodes. outside of the ending i enjoyed the season, but i get the reasons people were irritated

its a lot easier to take in back to back than to wait a week between episodes. outside of the ending i enjoyed the season, but i get the reasons people were irritated

I can definitely see how the season could get worse if I watched it weekly instead of in a day.

Tuck

Watched a few episodes earlier in the season and it just did not grab me. Disappointed to hear the rest of the season didn't pick up.

That interview does not make me hopeful for next season.

Milchjon

Binge watched the season on Netflix, actually enjoyed it, even if some parts feel inconsequential due to the dream setting.

JWiLL

Banned
I used to watch Archer every night live when it came on, but due to work schedules wasn't able to this year.

Glad to hear this season lends itself well to binge style watching...I'll be doing that this weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom