• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archer - S5 |OT| of Phrasing, Gurpgork, Boop! & the Danger Zone - Mondays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Someone put together GIFs of all the cut scenes from the montage in the premiere

e.g.:

amHBNOD.gif

w8Wg4bN.gif

GCqwGX1.gif

big ander

I hope not. I loved it when My Name is Earl did it. Never saw it when House did it. But it's been done. And I don't watch shows that take place in jail. Please go back to being secret agents. Or stick with your original plan.

But even if they did, I'd still enjoy it.
Uh you watched last night right? They're not going to jail and they are going back to being ISIS.

TheYanger

I just binged the whole season, I thought the first few episodes were a lot stronger than the last few. Surprised the general consensus seems to be swinging the other way. Too much reliance on old jokes in the last couple and genuinely just not quite as funny as usual to me. I did enjoy Inappropes though.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Pam seems less coked up in those gifs
And I get the impression Archer became the president rather than Cyril too
Hope we get some outtakes

someday

Banned
I think this season would have been a lot funnier if they had followed the path the flashback seemed to show. I remember being totally psyched about it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Uh you watched last night right? They're not going to jail and they are going back to being ISIS.
Yeah but the creator said that now that someone has mentioned the idea. I'm hoping he just ignores it and goes with his original plans for the season. I'm sure he will though. The jail season has been done to death.

jtb

Banned
underwhelming season, but really underwhelming final arc... maybe I've been spoiled by the space station episode and the sea lab ones but this definitely felt like a step down from those two.

Zeroth

Really curious as to what was the original plot. These cutscenes suggest events far more interesting than what we got, I think.

- Daily Beast: ‘Archer’ Creator Adam Reed on the Big Twist and the End of ‘Vice’
Archer Vice, as far as television shows go, spiraled so far over the top it was tough to remember where it came from.

It was a batshit-crazy deviation—Archer in Grand Theft Auto mode—that transformed the ISIS spy agency into a drug cartel slinging cocaine for the CIA, and pitted agents Sterling Archer (H. Jon Benjamin), Lana Kane (Aisha Tyler), Malory Archer (Jessica Walter), Cyril Figgis (Chris Parnell), and the rest against the Yakuza, a sexy “coyote,” South American arms dealers, a Sons of Anarchy-esque biker gang, and the tyrannical ruler of San Marcos, voiced by Fred Armisen. It transformed the “anything goes” human resources head, Pam (Amber Nash), into a cocaine monster; kinky secretary Cheryl (Judy Greer) into a self-described “outlaw-country” music star named Cherlene; and forced Dr. Krieger (Lucky Yates) to confront his fellow Hitler clones.

But all that madness paled in comparison to the interesting reveal at the end of Archer’s fifth season finale: the arrival of Archer and Lana’s daughter, Abijean (or “A.J.” for short). It’s a bold move for a series that revels in narcissism and the politically incorrect.

Now, we’ve seen Archer’s parenting skills be put to the test before with the “Wee Baby Seamus,” his would-be child with the prostitute Trinette. Their brief time together resulted in Seamus consuming loads of booze—via a Bloody Mary-soaked celery stick, a martini-soaked olive, etc.—and Archer and Seamus getting each other’s names tattooed on their backs.

The Daily Beast managed to track down Archer creator Adam Reed, who’s busy trekking across Spain, to discuss the end of Vice, the arrival of baby A.J., and where the show is headed in Season 6.
Interview via the link.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Fantastic finale. What a weird season.

Now to wait for season six. If I can do it for Venture Bros., I can do it for Archer...again.

Saty

Massively disappointing. I completely lost track of the plot and twists and all that.

Pam's every second word about cocaine and Cheryl's about 'outlaw country' was maddening throughout the season.

This season was all over the place and just not funny enough, at parts at all, compared to previous ones. I also had the feeling that this season had more obscure references\jokes, at least to me.

Red

The best episode of the season was The Rules of Extraction.

San Marcos was pretty good in general. Sort of lost steam near the end. Cyril as dictator and Calderon's wife were both underutilized gags. As a finale I was okay with Arrivals. Not the best, but enough of a resolution and set up for next season that it gets a pass.

Like everyone has said a billion times, Carol and Pam were damn near constantly fucking terrible and ruined a lot of scenes. Nothing about outlaw country or the cocaine addiction was funny.

Grinchy

Banned
Well this was a pretty decent finale. It had more laughs than the last few episodes. For me this season started out poorly, got good, got bad again, and ended up on an average note.

I'm glad that they're going back to being ISIS next season.

Ultimadrago

Everyone saw it coming, but "D'aaaw~"

Count me in with Grinchy on the season's quality. It was a woozy, but ended decent enough. I'm looking forward to the next season and what new plot comes in store involving the new "surprise."

Really curious as to what was the original plot. These cutscenes suggest events far more interesting than what we got, I think.

Indeed.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
They really should've done one or two crappy drug episodes, then had the rest of the thing take place in San Marcos. They could've gotten a lot more laughs with Kreiger clones, Cyrill as a dictator and maybe tied Pam's addiction into an actual storyline (like, maybe joining the rebels, then back again as a triple agent that nobody believes or something). There was no salvaging the Cherlene thing. That was dumb from start and went exactly nowhere and was never, ever, ever funny.

The best episodes were the ones where they were actually acting like ISIS agents anyway. It was a neat experiment, but it most mostly a failure and I'm glad it looks like they're moving on from it.

That fake out at the end with the "was it all a dream" ending was pretty funny though. Should be funny to see Archer with another baby, this time one that is actually his.

RefigeKru

Banned
I overall liked it but am holding out on someone murdering Cheryl because holy fuck does she ruin every scene she's in.

That was Pam for me this season, though Cheryl also seems to be holding the show back.

Coked up Pam was funny the first 4-5 jokes until eventually consuming her character and reducing her to even more pointless, unfunny outbursts. I was actually hoping Mallory would off her.

For the lols.

I overall liked it but am holding out on someone murdering Cheryl because holy fuck does she ruin every scene she's in.
What, you mean it wasn't funny when she yelled OUTLAW COUNTRY 10,000 times? In fact, it wasn't even funny the first time? Season 5 was the season of beating jokes through the ground so hard they came out on the other side of the Earth.

Sloane

Banned
Thought it was better than last season although not as good as 1-3. The final arc felt much more like Archer than the beginning though, maybe because they benched Lana too much in the first half of the season and she didn't really come into play until the end. Wouldn't mind if it went a bit more back to being a spy spoof for S6.

MNC

If only there was less Pam, this season would count as great. Now it's just good. The San Marcos arc was really enjoyable

Red

If only there was less Pam, this season would count as great. Now it's just good. The San Marcos arc was really enjoyable
Season 4 signaled the decline of Pam. Season 5 buried her. At this point I would be fine with her being killed off.

Grinchy

Banned

Cheryl was horrible the whole season too. I'm tempted to argue that even Pam had more funny lines than Cheryl.

Red

Cheryl was horrible the whole season too. I'm tempted to argue that even Pam had more funny lines than Cheryl.
The Bee Gees joke killed me. Pam had a couple of zingers, so I agree with you. Cheryl was flat. But when Pam was bad, she was really bad.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is this confirmed for coming back? Even tho I think it was the weakest season, I still love Archer.

Nori Chan

Finally got around to seeing the finale and I d'awwed for sure. I didn't realize the tinitus gag until reading it here.

An okay season, but definitely its worst. I still enjoyed it though and i can't wait tip the 6th season.

arab

i wish this season never happened. i only laughed at the tinnitus joke at the end of the finale but it was quickly stifled by the babby "twist." so much pam cocaine unfunniness. so many plots that go no where and end up circular only to be written with no consequence by the end.

i will watch the pilot of the next season and determine if i keep watching. otherwise, all aboard the rick and morty train. even chris parnell seems to have made my realization.

- Deadline: Comedy Central Picks Up Off-Network Rights To FX Animated Series ‘Archer’
Hit animated comedy Archer is following in the footsteps of fellow FX comedy series It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia, landing an elusive basic cable-to-basic cable syndication deal. Comedy Central, which is the off-network home of It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia, has inked a deal with Twentieth Television for the off-network rights to Archer, basic cable’s second-highest-rated comedy among adults 18-49 and No.1 on FX. The deal covers all existing seasons and includes commitments for future seasons of the spy comedy, which will begin airing on Comedy Central beginning as soon as May 2015. For the first two years, Comedy Central will have exclusive window pre-midnight while FXX has exclusivity post-midnight. After that there will be no exclusive windowing parameters.

FX groomed Archer for a syndication play last spring when it gave it a two-season, 26-episode pickup for Seasons 6 and 7. The network since has moved the show to anchor comedy-focused upstart FXX. Archer, from FX Prods., was created by Adam Reed who is executive producing with Matt Thompson and their production company, Floyd County.

Ourobolus

Banned
Syndication is such a strange concept to me in the age of Netflix and Hulu.

Not that I'm complaining that people will get more exposure to Archer...

Banzai

I started and finished watching this whole show in 2 weeks, holy shit it's hilarious. Archer is such an asshole, I love every single one of his lines. Actually, all of the characters are great. Except maybe coked-up Pam, she's rather...damn, I had something for this.

So today at work, I heard someone calling for someone, and the person said, "I'm coming!" then I said, phrasing, and a customer who was an older lady next to me laughed and mentioned archer.

I thought that was awesome.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So today at work, I heard someone calling for someone, and the person said, "I'm coming!" then I said, phrasing, and a customer who was an older lady next to me laughed and mentioned archer.

I thought that was awesome.
I used the "Phrasing" line myself at work the other day and a customer smiled too. It's rare I get to use "phrasing" IRL.

NR1

Does anyone expect Archer to make Iraq vs ISIS jokes next season? Every time I hear about that mess, I think of Archer... And the danger zone!!

Hatchtag

Banned
Probably won't be on the us netflix until the middle of season six.

I always hate how it hits DVD right before the season starts, then two weeks later it's on Netflix.
I've still bought all the DVDs so far though.
And the book.

- Daily Beast: 'Archer' Creator Adam Reed on 'Vice,' Season 6's 'Unreboot,' and New Characters
Archer, the delightfully wacky spy-satire series created by Adam Reed, has long been one of the most laugh-out-loud-funny shows on television. And the TV Gods finally took notice, nominating the FX show for its first Emmy Award—for Outstanding Animated Program—for its unhinged fifth season, dubbed Archer Vice. The revamped series saw the ISIS gang, led by narcissistic superspy Sterling Archer (H. Jon Benjamin) and his trusty sidekick Lana Kane (Aisha Tyler), eschew the Cold War-tinged spy-office format in favor of taking the show on the road, with the group forming the world’s most disorganized drug cartel in order to shift a “literal ton of cocaine.”

Labeling it “insane” would be a vast understatement. After the U.S. government raids the ISIS office, they’re forced to disband and sell a ton of cocaine they’d stored in their company vault. And the drug biz has some bizarre effects on the ex-spies and office workers. Pam becomes a skinny cocaine-eating monster who runs afoul of the Yakuza; Cheryl transforms into “Cherlene,” a famous country singer; Malory becomes an arms dealer; Lana is pregnant, so Archer books a kung-fu kickin’ Kenny Loggins (naturally) for her baby shower; Krieger meets his Nazi clone-brothers; and Cyril becomes a dictator. And it all ended with Lana delivering baby A.J., her child with Archer, in a war zone.

Season 6, which will hit television sets sometime in 2015, will see the Emmy-nominated series revert back to its office/spy format. The Daily Beast spoke at length to creator Adam Reed about the Vice deviation, what goes into making an episode of Archer, and where the show’s headed next season.
Interview via the link.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
good see the show is getting some recognition, about time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom