• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archer - S5 |OT| of Phrasing, Gurpgork, Boop! & the Danger Zone - Mondays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Looks like ISIS is back in business next season.

And I figured the baby was his all along.

aB4QJS9.gif

Short season, but looking forward to Archer,Lana, and Abergine(?) next season.

Also I've got a feeling his Russian cyborg ex will be returning next season.

I'm just wondering, what's the production time on these episodes? I know that after there was a bit of backlash against the season's concept, they announced it would go back to being a spy show next year. But the montage at the beginning of the season suggested that wasn't always the case, as Lana was going to give birth in a completely different situation, there was that different scene with the tiger and I believe some other scenes that didn't show up at all. All the stuff with the CIA must have been added in to course correct for next year, but how much time would the staff have had to make those changes?

I'm just wondering, what's the production time on these episodes? I know that after there was a bit of backlash against the season's concept, they announced it would go back to being a spy show next year. But the montage at the beginning of the season suggested that wasn't always the case, as Lana was going to give birth in a completely different situation, there was that different scene with the tiger and I believe some other scenes that didn't show up at all. All the stuff with the CIA must have been added in to course correct for next year, but how much time would the staff have had to make those changes?
Yea I was wondering about the church delivery scene from the premiere. My main problem with the season was Pam and the fact that the show lost its adventure, the ending scene that was a "look forward" into the season looked really cool but we never got that. It was just fuck up after fuck up.

Grisby

I dunno, maybe it was just for fun. Like, only in Archers mind would he be in a forest with a tiger and Chi the nail lady.

Although that would have been pretty cool. Was hoping Archer would get the pet tiger.
Goal for Season 6: Make Pam not-horrible.
Her "A long racist story", line got me pretty good. Yeah, her cocaine deal was pretty overplayed. I can agree on that.

Mazre

Yea I was wondering about the church delivery scene from the premiere. My main problem with the season was Pam and the fact that the show lost its adventure, the ending scene that was a "look forward" into the season looked really cool but we never got that. It was just fuck up after fuck up.

Think it was a combination of Archer's fantasies and the creators dropping some fun red herrings to keep some mystery about how the season would play out.

Hatchtag

Banned
So, uh...is Fake Krieger the Krieger that's with them, and real Krieger (presumably) dead?
Anyways, hoping the next two season's have a lot of plot. This season had a sense of progression again, and I'd like for the next two season's to have that, too.

systematic

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just wondering, what's the production time on these episodes?

Adam Reed was in the middle of writing episode 11 in January, assuming this interview was published shortly after being conducted:

AR: I am currently, not as we speak, but right up until the phone rang, writing script number 11. I know how the season ends, so we just have two more episodes to get to the jaw-dropping climax. Then, I don’t know what happens in season six. I did know, but now that you’ve got me thinking about prison, and Orange Is The New Black was really popular. People are liking prison shows again. Maybe they’ll all go to jail.

big ander

Fantastic finale, just quotable and hilarious and exciting all around. Captured the season pretty well too in that the only outright bad parts were Pam and sometimes Carol.
But the pilot conversation, the nerve gas carrying, Abby Jean (?)'s wait-finger, Slater and Archer and Lana arguing, and the chaos of Mallory and Cyril and Pam running from the palace were all awesome.

didn't get the gag with Archer's tinnitus freezing. I thought it was just him freaking out about the baby, but him talking about a coma was lost on me.
Heh no answer for you but your post reminded me of all the whiners at the beginning of the season who thought the entire run was ruined because of a 40 second promo

Mindlog

That was some good line delivery by Lana.
Very. Naturally given the plot it covered a wide range and all of it was done well.

Very happy (I think) they lightly lowered the tinnitus sound. It didn't resonate with my tinnitus like it has in the past.

LordCanti

I mumbled "Oh you fuckers" under my breath when the tinnitus started to go. I thought he had gone the entire season reading lips, or he'd been in a coma the entire time (which is the gag they kind of jokingly went with). I was glad that they didn't go there though.

Abbigene huh? Mallory is going to love that. Abbigene Archer Kane, or Abbigene Kane Archer, depending on who wins that argument. Either way, it was a very nice final moment.

Edit: Can't even figure out how to spell it. Not going to try.

Personally, I thought this was the weakest season, thought the ending was heart warming, yet hilarious with archers tinnitus.

Absolutely the weakest. They tried something new and it really didn't work for the most part, but that's always the risk you take when doing so I guess. There were really good episodes in there, but it just never reached the level of prior seasons.

I'm hopeful for them getting back on track for next season. Hopefully sans cokey monster, Charlene, and misadventures in drug running.

So, uh...is Fake Krieger the Krieger that's with them, and real Krieger (presumably) dead?
Anyways, hoping the next two season's have a lot of plot. This season had a sense of progression again, and I'd like for the next two season's to have that, too.

I guess if Charlene really has a sticker in her brain, it's him. I don't know how a clone would know that. They definitely dropped a lot of hints that he wasn't the real Krieger, but then he did basically scuttle the rocket so....I don't know.

Crocodile

I'm still not sure I understand what the deal was with clone arc with Krieger and I feel one could make a decent argument that this season was weaker than the others but I still loved it. The "twists" that played out this episode weren't what I'd call particularly shocking though :p

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
First six episodes were really weak, but the San Marcos arc was amazing.

Overall a decent season. Really looking forward to the next.

They developed the characters a lot more and made it more plot-oriented but it definitely came at the expense of the humor imo. I did like the ending, though I expected Archer to shout "Abbi-what?!" just before the credits

Sai-kun

Banned
Overall the weakest season, I think, but considering how funny I think the others are, this was still really fucking good.

This little part from ep 12 slayed me:

Mallory: Look on the bright side, with any luck at all, it'll save me the trouble of killing you myself
Pam: Damn, dawg.
Ray: Inaprops.

:lol The way Pam said "Damn, dawg" was perfect.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Nope. Did not think it was Archer's baby. I am shocked.

i knew that baby was gonna be someones in the firm. hopefully pam is in rehab for half of the next season. cherlene has always been crazy, but the cokey monster got so damn old, i would assume the writers would have thought so too

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Wow, I am surprised the Baby is actual Archer's. Throughout Lana's whole speech I was expecting her to slap him, say she was joking and call him an ass

Happy that they are returning to ISIS next series. I enjoyed this cocaine break but it will be nice to get back to normal. Maybe even hire a new agent or something?

Neoxon

Somehow I had a feeling the baby was Archer's. The whole moment was heart-warming.

Great season finale, can't wait for the next one.....next year. Goddammit.

Sounds like ISIS will get a redesign next season. Guess they'll need a space for the baby.

didn't get the gag with Archer's tinnitus freezing. I thought it was just him freaking out about the baby, but him talking about a coma was lost on me
I think it was just poking fun at the "it was all a dream/coma/hallucination" trope that is often used to explain these sorts of stories.

Jackpot

Banned
Personally, I thought this was the weakest season

Ditto, I loved the concept. The new logo with the Vice City styling and Archer minus tie with a Mac-10 held such promise. I was hoping for riskier situations, higher stakes and more outlandish actions as they went rogue. Instead it was mostly them trying to get their foot in the door of drug dealing and getting outwitted straight away by those already in it with a constant B-plot of supporting characters doing goofy stuff at home to pass the time.

OmegaFax

This was the weakest season of Archer because it felt like thirteen episodes of filler and lead-ins to the next episode that ultimately went nowhere.

Frisky Dingo did a lot more with less time. Adam Reed has pretty much made five seasons of Archer by taking pieces of Frisky Dingo and flattening it out as far as they can go (for better or for worst).

Archer's tinnitus scene at the end of this season + the sperm donor baby bit is almost identical to Xander's girlfriend keeping his sperm in Frisky Dingo and him tuning her out in that moment of revelation but without all the zaniness of a mutant baby. Entire nerve bomb subplot was reminiscent to the Anhililatrix.

I had this far out hope that Wendell from from Frisky Dingo would have made made a cameo as a CIA agent. It would have been something random and unexpected at the end of the season that could have redeemed a show that's creatively dragging its feet.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Not sure how I feel about the season. I liked the big overarching serial plot, but it was probably the least funny season thus far. Love that Archer will be a dad next season, though.

Heh no answer for you but your post reminded me of all the whiners at the beginning of the season who thought the entire run was ruined because of a 40 second promo

It was still a massively stupid decision....

curb

Banned
I can't believe they actually held on a touching moment without throwing in one last zinger at the end.

This season was a bit inconsistent to me but mediocre Archer is still better than a lot of other comedy shows.

I'm actually pretty disappointed they reworked/changed a lot of how things went down from the promo.

Some of it looked really interesting. The part with Archer on the run from the feds as well as that scene in the rice fields and Cherlene's kidnapping. San Marco as a whole seemed more interesting from the promo too...

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Liked the finale. The last few episodes were pretty solid, but overall the season was a bit disappointing, but still mostly enjoyable.

First six episodes were really weak, but the San Marcos arc was amazing.

Overall a decent season. Really looking forward to the next.

agreed, they took pam getting hooked on cocaine and really ran it into the ground. But yeah this San Marcos arc was great and redeemed the season for me. Really interested to see how next season will work out

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Adam Reed was in the middle of writing episode 11 in January, assuming this interview was published shortly after being conducted:
AR: I am currently, not as we speak, but right up until the phone rang, writing script number 11. I know how the season ends, so we just have two more episodes to get to the jaw-dropping climax. Then, I don’t know what happens in season six. I did know, but now that you’ve got me thinking about prison, and Orange Is The New Black was really popular. People are liking prison shows again. Maybe they’ll all go to jail.
I hope not. I loved it when My Name is Earl did it. Never saw it when House did it. But it's been done. And I don't watch shows that take place in jail. Please go back to being secret agents. Or stick with your original plan.

But even if they did, I'd still enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom