• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archer: Dreamland - Now Archer's Really a Dick - Season 8 |OT| Wednesdays on FXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaFax

I felt like Archer driving his car off the cliff at the end of the episode was a metaphor for the series. It's a bit harsh but we're like five or six episodes in and I'm not feeling it. There isn't enough humor, the premise of this all being part of Archer's coma, and the pop culture references are like grabbing straws.

I still like the time period and conceit, and it's not a bad season to watch, but I can't say that I've laughed many times.

The last two seasons have felt more like a light-hearted detective show than a dark, witty comedy.

vypek

I felt like Archer driving his car off the cliff at the end of the episode was a metaphor for the series. It's a bit harsh but we're like five or six episodes in and I'm not feeling it. There isn't enough humor, the premise of this all being part of Archer's coma, and the pop culture references are like grabbing straws.

Personally, I'd say its a metaphor for the season. I have faith (and hope) they can bring it back up to par for the last two season. But this one just isn't hooking me the same way. It is under Vice for me. Still somewhat enjoyable but not the level I expect from the series

“Oh, come on. White, divorced, cop, access to a firearm? Cuckold? Statistically, you’re already dead.”
Heh. Yeah, this episode had its gems.
Just too bad the season was basically made to be binge-watched. Once one episode is over, I want to watch the next one. But I don't like binge-watching things.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Pam's increasingly elaborate dreams of the future with the women she has in her apartment are pretty funny.

vypek

A pretty decent episode but I'm honestly kind of tired of Archer not being impressive/competent and Barry being a big bad, unstoppable, cyborg killing machine.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
The ending was like a cartoon version of Hannibal.

jrush64

Banned
A pretty decent episode but I'm honestly kind of tired of Archer not being impressive/competent and Barry being a big bad, unstoppable, cyborg killing machine.

Yeah I agree with you, the shits old now. Episode was alright I guess.

vypek

Yeah I agree with you, the shits old now. Episode was alright I guess.

Yeah, I hope Barry bites it at least in Archer's dreams.

I hope that if Barry doesn't finally die in the dream sequence that he'll at least be defeated in the "real" world. Would be pretty funny to have him incapacitated due to Archer dropping him off of something and the cyborg legs being destroyed or something

We only have two episodes left, right? I hope at least at the last 10 or so minutes of the season finale that we get an awakening from the coma.

Barry is fun in small doses - like if they do an episode or two with him during a traditional thirteen episode season. He doesn't work for me when they lean on him too heavily, but I don't think that has happened yet this season.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Poovey is posing as a man so she can work as a detective. It's deliberately a little vague, but they joke about it constantly.

the problems is that the flashbacks dont support that. the mentioning of sending kids to college after the flashback of poovey having children with all those children implies that poovey is a man. along with the various old man poovey shots. its seems more than just posing as a man

the problems is that the flashbacks dont support that. the mentioning of sending kids to college after the flashback of poovey having children with all those children implies that poovey is a man. along with the various old man poovey shots. its seems more than just posing as a man
Yeah, you're right. It's unclear what's going on. I looked up an Amber Nash interview and this is what she said:
Last season drew on ‘Magnum P.I.’ for its late-70’s LA look and feel. What did the mood board for Season 8 look like?

Well, I know the EP’s were watching a lot of “Maltese Falcon,” “LA Confidential” and things like that. They really got into the nitty-gritty noir stuff. Adam Reed actually told me that Pam, who is now gender-neutral and just goes by Poovey, was loosely based on Russell Crowe’s character in “LA Confidential.”

That’s quite the character twist for Pam! What did you think when you first found out?

It’s such a gift as an actor. Over the series she has become such a badass, and there really isn’t anything she’s incapable of.

In Season 1 she really was just someone for the other characters to sh*t on, but over time Adam got to know all the actors and characters and realized that they can really have Pam do anything — and she’s so body positive, sex positive, and confident. Now I get this other curveball, Poovey — [they won’t] sound any different or look any different, but it’s just an interesting approach…

Jackpot

Banned
Yeesh, talk about diminishing returns. Krieger's cat licking it's ass, someone wolfing down a hot dog, it's all so stale.

Also i get that it's a cartoon and the character do stupid stuff but Lana's repeated arrest attempts were dumb even by the show's standards.

Santiako

This season is boring as hell.

and now with the last episode, im a bit more confused. living to 1100, with a buttload of asian space descendants? maybe poovey is just delusional or really wants to be a man instead of the alternative

She was holding a baby, I think the cake was for her and the baby so she'd be 100 ( the cake said 1-flower-100).

This season continues to be an absolute disaster. Can't wait for it to be over, shame the show isn't if this is the quality going forward. Only saving grace was how short these episodes have been. I prefer the advertisements.

Zubz

Banned
Ok, now that was pretty cool! This is definitely the show's 2nd weakest season ("Lack of jokes but interesting plot" is definitely far better than "COCAINE!"), but it's by no means bad.

As for Poovey, previews gave the impression that they were still female but presenting as male because of the job & era, but Poovey's imagine spots definitely show them wanting to impregnate all of the Chinese women they rescued. I think they're male (Maybe Poovey was female but was switched to male late in production? Either way, I'm surprised they've managed to go a whole season without referring to them using pronouns.)

Granted, this is literally all just a dream, so short of any curveballs we're going back to the real Pam soon enough.

Much better episode for me. I doubt Barry is done but I wish he was

We have 2 seasons left after this, right? My hope is that this is supposed to be the big, final Barry battle that the Season 6 fight could've been. But since his appearance in Season 7 might've ended w/ him no longer actively seeking to kill Archer, they decided to give us that finale here, & either won't address him or won't introduce him as a villain in Seasons 9-10.

Or he keeps showing up, & even a fight w/ him in Season 10 will end in a "He's Alive" stinger!

This season is something that would have been better as a few episodes or an Archer movie rather than an actual season. Its idea isnt bad and neither is the execution, but its both largely not funny and a waste of time.
I at least expected tidbits throughout the season of whats going on in the real world and a back and forth, how people are dealing with life without Archer. But we got none of that.

The show is also best when its doing what its intended to do, clandestine spy agency hijinks and every time they step away from that the results are lackluster and outside of Archer and Lana, no one really has any character growth so just dropping them into wacky situations just because it sounds cool isn't interesting either. It would be cool if they actually showed how some of these characters lives changed from these new situations and delved more into the personalities and lives of the supporting characters there would be a lot of fresh and worthwhile stuff to write about over there. But they don't.

So im really not looking forward to how they close up the show and its really disappointing considering how much i loved and still love the earlier seasons, infinitely funny and rewatch able and while the post season 4 seasons aren't bad by any stretch (even Vice) they just fail to attain the same greatness.

Also yeah Fuck the Barry Cyborg shit.

vypek

We have 2 seasons left after this, right? My hope is that this is supposed to be the big, final Barry battle that the Season 6 fight could've been. But since his appearance in Season 7 might've ended w/ him no longer actively seeking to kill Archer, they decided to give us that finale here, & either won't address him or won't introduce him as a villain in Seasons 9-10.

Or he keeps showing up, & even a fight w/ him in Season 10 will end in a "He's Alive" stinger!

Yep. 2 more seasons and I hope you are right that he won't be included in seasons 9 and 10

I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling to get through this season. I thought last season was hard to get through but this is just a whole other level of bland and terrible.

Archer pulling an American Pie on Lana

Poovey's flashforwards with his/her Asian family have been funny. Still some great wordplay and voicework, although I agree this hasn't been the strongest season.

jrush64

Banned
Man they better give us closure on whether Archer is dead in the real world. I will not be happy at all if they make us wait two years just to find out. This whole dreamland thing has been so disappointing.

Sandfox

Man they better give us closure on whether Archer is dead in the real world. I will not be happy at all if they make us wait two years just to find out. This whole dreamland thing has been so disappointing.

The first episode already revealed that he isn't dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom