• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archer: Dreamland - Now Archer's Really a Dick - Season 8 |OT| Wednesdays on FXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whew, still haven't caught up on S7 but will do so now that it's on Netflix. Feel like the series has, sadly, run it's course already. Even by Season 4/5 I felt like it was running a bit long in the tooth. Hope this season reinvigorates my love for the series.

- Blastr interview: Aisha Tyler gets all torched up as Lana for Archer: Dreamland
Q: What kind of themes are we looking at for this season?

Aisha: The show has typically been about spies and then they moved into private investigations. There's more of a dark noir underworld thing with crime, kingpins, gangsters and then some things I can't reveal because they develop as the season goes on. But that kind of brilliant L.A. Confidential-style, film noir that we love. That's going to be really cool.

Q: Archer has been renewed for three more seasons, with the end of the series planned for season 10. So two more eight-episode seasons after this one, with every season having a different theme of some sort. What are your thoughts if season 10 is the end for Archer?

Aisha: Well, nothing lasts forever.

Q: Why not?

Aisha: (Laughs) I'd like that to happen but in this business, more than any other business, you're always prepared for a show to come to an end. That's just the nature of things. This entire show has sprung from the brilliant and complex mind of Adam Reed and he writes all the episodes. We don't know if the show is going to end at season ten, but I respect the idea that someone might feel like they want to explore other avenues and other ideas and write for other characters. He and Matt are the co-eps but Adam is the writer and he actually might be exhausted.

daffy

Banned
Just finished season 7. Idk I love this show and am just glad its around. Gonna miss it when its gone tbh

jett

D-Member
So that's how they're gonna resolve the cliffhanger? Archer was still alive all that time (somehow) and ends up in a coma?

Anyway, last year I binged the entire show and it immediately became one of my faves. So good.

Season premiere tonight:
No Good Deed

Archer tries to find out who killed his partner, but accidentally gets in bed with Mother, a notorious L.A. crime boss.
MuzRutU.jpg

- Vox review
Launching the show into an alternate noir universe where the characters are completely different people with the same sense of humor is a tricky endeavor, and the season struggles at first. But once it settles in and allows itself to get weird after the premiere gets the setup out of the way, Archer: Dreamland becomes the hilarious ride it should’ve been from the start.

Divius

Man, I used to really like this, but for some reason I haven't watched the last two seasons. Guess I should get to it.

vypek

Man, I used to really like this, but for some reason I haven't watched the last two seasons. Guess I should get to it.

I'd say that reason would probably be that Archer: Vice was a weaker season that possibly turned some people away.... but maybe that is just my thoughts cause I didn't care for Vice as much.

Still love the series though

- GQ: This Season of Archer Almost Took Place in King Archer’s Court
Thompson admits that, going into the writing process for Dreamland, there was one other even more fantastical setting they'd considered: "We were going to do King Archer. As in, you know, Lancelot." He and Reed had figured out who most of the characters would be. "Mallory was going to be the queen and Archer was the prince," and cloned Nazi scientist Dr. Krieger was going to be a deeply incompetent version of Merlin. But, he admits, the gag devolved almost entirely to be about "mistakes that would happen because Merlin's an idiot."

The team decided not to go with King Archer out of discomfort with the fantastical setting. "For whatever reason," Thompson said, "this cartoon tries to be somewhat realistic. And for whatever reason, all of the jokes we were laughing at tended to be nonsensical, or non-real-world rules." Instead, Thompson says, "our show works best when it's about Archer, and it's about Archer in three words: 'Archer gets car,' 'Archer gets bitten by a spider,' 'Archer is afraid of crocodiles.' And then the show fills itself out around that central thesis."

But there's still time for Archer to pull off a few more feats of insanity, even given that framework. Thompson, in particular, wants to do a speculative science-fiction season in the vein of Black Mirror. "If we did do future sci-fi, I'd want to make sure it's not too far off." There are even some weirder options he's considered: "It'd be great to do a season of the show where everyone is a dragon and we live in Dragondale," he says, "or everyone is a Care Bear and we're doing Care Bear adventures, but it's still our characters." The only thing that's crucial to the setting is, "You have to have a reason why there are six people that are always together."

I'd say that reason would probably be that Archer: Vice was a weaker season that possibly turned some people away.... but maybe that is just my thoughts cause I didn't care for Vice as much.

Still love the series though
Your opinion is not isolated; Vice was bad.

I love Archer and I'm sure I'll like to some degree either way, but man...I am not really big on the themed seasons, and the previews shown so far really do not look promising

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I really liked this first episode, I'm excited to see what it does. I think what I like most about it is how different it is.

vypek

A little light on jokes but I enjoyed it. This episode makes me feel the writers could do a pretty good drama

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Not a bad start. I love the name Vandertunt.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Quite enjoyed that episode.

Man oh man did I lose it at the
carving a dick into the car
. Haven't laughed that hard at a show in ages.

Archer running over Barry's legs
was also fucking hilarious

- Onion A|V Club review

Solid start, though a little light on humor. Most of the reviews noted that the premiere is a lot of set up and then it heats up after that. The new credits are great and the animation continues to improve. Impressive singing by Aisha Tyler.

"Plus tip."
"How about the tip of my cock?"
"So, in that scenario, would I take your penis in my hand? Your mouth?"
"Asshole. Wait, no I mean… not… Goddammit."
"Ask your wife."
"Awww, you know his wife left him, for you, Archer, cause you screwed her tits off at the precinct cookout, so then she thought the two of you would get married and live happily ever after, but then you were like WHAAAATT! Exactly! That face right there."
"I... uh."
"How does that help?"
"Uhhh.... humanizes you?"

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Not too funny, but it wasn't bad. Laughed at the two parts Cornballer quoted above, and the rimshots.

I thought I was going to hate it when they revealed that it's going to take place in a dream, but I ended up loving the episode, definitely looking forward to the next one.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I thought it was alright although obviously burdened with establishing the world. Future episodes should have more freedom.

Is JG Thirlwell still doing the soundtrack for this season?
Yup, he's remaining. I'm sure this season will good use of his talents.

Zubz

Banned
I think that was a nice set-up for this arc! I hope it picks up, though. I guess they're trying to get an easier ARG going with that mobile app this time?

I liked it. Wanna see how it pans out. Also what's with this new Fox show, the jury thing. Seems really dumb.

Yeah. Honestly, the very concept makes me uncomfortable.

curb

Banned
I didn't find the episode particularly funny but I love the cast mixed in with this tone and setting. It'll be enough to keep me watching.

Enjoyed the premiere. Love the tone and the animation keeps getting better and better. I thought the episode was plenty funny myself.

"So... You're saying when I drive this truck out of here you prefer I drove over your head, not your ankles?"
"Wait what? No, no I meant-"
"I know what you meant."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom