• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archer - S7 |OT| of Jazz Hands, Suppressing Fire & the Danger Zone - Thursdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Daily Beast: ‘Archer’ Producers on That Big Finale Twist: ‘Archer May Be Dead’
Since FX has yet to renew the animated spy series for an eighth season—which creator Adam Reed and executive producers Matt Thompson and Casey Willis knew going into this one—did they purposely leave the finale open-ended in case the show was canceled?

“Yup,” Thompson tells The Daily Beast. “How’s that for an answer? You know, FX hasn’t picked the show up yet. We don’t know. Archer might be dead. We have some ideas, but you know, it’s very much sitting right there. That could be it.”
“Adam knew two things when he started writing this season: 1), he wanted to start with a Sunset Boulevard shot of Archer dead in a pool, and 2) he wanted to make everybody think that that actually wasn’t Archer,” says Thompson. “For a long time, he thought he’d do rubber masks like in Mission: Impossible so you’d take the mask off and it wasn’t Archer, but then what he knew is that he wanted that to be Archer, and to fake the viewer out. We saw the online comments and everybody was saying, ‘Well, that’s how they’re going to do it! That’s obviously a Krieger robot there,’ and we were sitting there watching those comments with glee, like, yes, yes, come to me, because that was definitely planned to make everybody think that they figured it out.”

As for the Season 8 renewal, well, it’s not official yet.

“We’re talking about it, just nothing’s set in stone yet,” says Thompson. “They like to really control that message, too, so we’ll probably find out when everybody else finds out,” adds Willis. “We’re going ahead and forming ideas and getting ready for whatever happens, so if it happens, we’ll be ready, and if not, we’ll have a bunch of ideas that we’ll probably throw out on the internet!”

While the Archer creative team may be preparing for the worst, sources close to the production tell The Daily Beast that a renewal looks promising—and that the Archer gang will be attending this year’s San Diego Comic-Con in July where they’ll potentially debut some never-before-seen footage.

“We have a definite plan and definite ideas of where we’re going to go from here. We are scheduled to be at Comic-Con, and I feel we’ll know by then,” says Willis. “But I can say 100 percent positive that Archer would be a private eye in the next season.”
More via the link.

I could see this happening.
Especially since the Archer bot called the one in the pool a cyborg as well

It would have to be. Just easier to leave it as a series finale cliffhanger that way.
Because they both have blood and why would they have blood?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Interesting cliffhanger, and nice misdirection early on in the season with the Archer look alike butler. I think it's safe to say that Archer isn't really dead - Krieger made more than one Krieger-bot so it stands to reason that he probably made more than one Archer-bot as well. But if he is, then that would certainly be a bold twist. I could see lots of Cyborg-Archer x Cyborg-Barry shenanigans in the future...

Permanently A

Oh shit! Look at the driver Luigi!

rL8oKz3.jpg

- Zap2It: Is ‘Archer’ really dead? EPs dish on the shooting, a spinoff and Season 8 Woodhouse plans
If you are renewed, do you know what Season 8 looks like?

MT: We have three competing ideas. We have one that we like the best but unfortunately I can’t talk about it at this time. One way or the other it’s going to come out, what we’re thinking about, and I know that we’re headed to some sort of thing when we do Comic-Con in July.
Last year you said there were huge plans for Woodhouse in Season 7, but then sadly George Coe passed away. Have you shelved the Woodhouse plans in light of that?
MT: We shifted it. It’s our leading idea for what happens in Season 8. We shifted it one year to think about it more and refine it. Our leading idea for Season 8 deals with Woodhouse specifically.
- Daily Beast: ‘Archer’ Producers Want Jon Hamm for Live-Action Movie
The honchos behind the hilarious FX animated spy series have their hopes set on none other than Don Draper for a live-action movie—*IF it ever happens, that is.
- IndieWire review

Permanently A

Nice find! With this, I'm holding on to the theory that there are multiple Archer bots and he faked his death. The real one is probably in Mexico.

I actually don't think it was multiple bots, but that Luigi was pretending to be Archer. Because when Veronica asked him if he loved her he didn't blow a gasket.

The real one is is Mexico with the fake Veronica while everyone else is losing their shit. lmao I love it.

I actually don't think it was multiple bots, but that Luigi was pretending to be Archer. Because when Veronica asked him if he loved her he didn't blow a gasket.

The real one is is Mexico with the fake Veronica while everyone else is losing their shit. lmao I love it.

Maybe there was a script that Archer had them follow? He tested it on Krieger's bots. They can't comprehend love, but if they were following a script, they didn't have to understand it. Your theory works as well, although if Luigi was pretending to be Archer, they'd find out quickly.

Once place I don't want them to go is the cyborg route. It'd be interesting to see if Archer had his bot(s) do all the work for him while he was partying the whole time.

Once place I don't want them to go is the cyborg route. It'd be interesting to see if Archer had his bot(s) do all the work for him while he was partying the whole time.

This sounds like a very "Archer" thing to do. I'd bet on this, and Lana and Mallory beating the ever loving shit out of him when they find him.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm also curious who the fake Veronica Dean from the first episode was, and what her motive was.
I'm working on the assumption that it wasn't a fake Veronica Dean at all. She's just been playing everyone. Also, she's kinda nutso.

She hires the Figgis Agency to get evidence of her scheme out of her lawyer's hands without any form of suspicion on his part. She then has to appear concerned about that, and her lawyer is convinced she's more or less broke, so she has the opportunity to potentially get the lovestruck lawyer to put his own money on the line to get the disk back. Unfortunately, he bluffs on the money and the Figgis Agency successfully retrieves the disk, but she still gets to keep the disk herself, so no additional gain, but the main goal is still achieved. "The Handoff" was basically no matter the outcome, she gets the disk, she might just make some extra cash off the lawyer too. Although maybe lost money on hiring the biker gang.

Something like that.

johnsmith

remember me
Jesus, at the Lana in the back of the cop car scene. Being a black woman has to be fucking terrifying sometimes/most of the time.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I really hope A) We get a season 8 and B) It's the final season. Not that I don't love the show, but because it deserves a proper send-off, not a unceremonious cliffhanger accidental finale. The creators sort of seem over and it and ready to move on.

I really hope A) We get a season 8 and B) It's the final season. Not that I don't love the show, but because it deserves a proper send-off, not a unceremonious cliffhanger accidental finale. The creators sort of seem over and it and ready to move on.

I think they're being coy. In other interviews, they've talked about keeping it going for s long time.

Red

I didn't think it was a great finale.
Archer's death is almost meaningless, as death in the Archer-verse has time and time again proven to be impermanent.

The season was just ok. Shapiro is a great addition. Veronica Deane, ehh. She doesn't do much. She's just there so everyone can talk about how great she is. She functions as a plot device and nothing more. The cops are rarely funny, and I blame the script. The performances were earnest and engaged.

This season had a strong beginning but quickly tapered off following episode 4. I wish it maintained the slapstick feel of the early episodes, which was genuinely great and felt fresh after so many seasons of the same type of humor.

It's a damn shame we got so little Archer-Archer interaction.

Quick Question: so who was the Veronica Deane impersonator that hired them in the 1st episode and how does she connect to the overall arc?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
The part where Archer wakes up the bot was great. Interesting twist at the end, honestly wasn't expecting that.

I'd say overall strong start to the season, but the end stretch was a bit tepid, though not awful.

Dan

Quick Question: so who was the Veronica Deane impersonator that hired them in the 1st episode and how does she connect to the overall arc?
This is my theory below. I haven't seen anyone offer anything else... although I'd be interested to hear other explanations.

I'm working on the assumption that it wasn't a fake Veronica Dean at all. She's just been playing everyone. Also, she's kinda nutso.

She hires the Figgis Agency to get evidence of her scheme out of her lawyer's hands without any form of suspicion on his part. She then has to appear concerned about that, and her lawyer is convinced she's more or less broke, so she has the opportunity to potentially get the lovestruck lawyer to put his own money on the line to get the disk back. Unfortunately, he bluffs on the money and the Figgis Agency successfully retrieves the disk, but she still gets to keep the disk herself, so no additional gain, but the main goal is still achieved. "The Handoff" was basically no matter the outcome, she gets the disk, she might just make some extra cash off the lawyer too. Although maybe lost money on hiring the biker gang.

Something like that.

Man, the moment you realize you just saw the last episode of season 7 and finding out the show hasn't been renewed yet for another one. Damn you FX, damn you all to hell!

I thought the season was underwhelming overall.

I thought it was okay, but it's probably me more than the show. The thing about early-seasons Archer is that it was still so new and fresh and everything that happened was quite unexpected or whatever.

Now I can pretty much see the punchline to every joke coming, and so it loses a lot of the laughs that used to just come from nowhere.

Dan

It was Katya. Ona Grauer was in the credits.
Oh. Huh. I just went back, and yeah, sounds like her. I guess I forgot the voices were so different between the Veronicas.

Well now I have absolutely no idea what was going on with the fake Veronica Deane.

ampere

Just caught the episode. Total mindfuck to go from "Oh yeah cyborgs, so the cyborg is in the pool!" to o.o RIP

I could see Archer being actually dead and next season being cyborg Archer. The show is crazy enough to do it

Oh. Huh. I just went back, and yeah, sounds like her. I guess I forgot the voices were so different between the Veronicas.

Well now I have absolutely no idea what was going on with the fake Veronica Deane.

It would be amazing if Archer was a bot the whole season and there's an actual spy background story that hasn't been noticed yet.

An error I noticed when watching the older episodes today. During the mid-season where Archer is on the island, there's a flashback when Malory is taking Archer away from school, and even the military bootcamp training. But this season the woman asked if Archer was in the military, to which Archer replies, "just seems like a lot of running."

vypek

An error I noticed when watching the older episodes today. During the mid-season where Archer is on the island, there's a flashback when Malory is taking Archer away from school, and even the military bootcamp training. But this season the woman asked if Archer was in the military, to which Archer replies, "just seems like a lot of running."

Oh wow. I didn't remember a military bootcamp at all

Alpende

Caught up yesterday and thought it was okay. Don't think Archer is dead though. Some guy on reddit posted a image of Archer driving the truck with the (two?) cyborgs and the car.

redhood56

Banned
Welp I guess that Archer being the truck driver is a pretty solid theory. Overall I really liked this season and I'm looking forward to see the continuation with next season if it happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom