• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archer - S6 |OT| of Phrasing, The Old Gypsy Woman & the Danger Zone - Thursdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

Exactly, that's what would make it so funny, with Archer going crazy because of the rising number of Cyborgs :p
I suppose nobody could die but it's an interesting thought that could shake up the status quo somewhat.

Unrelated, but I recently watched the first and second episodes of the first season again, and I kinda miss having so many minor characters/background extras and stuff, including Woodhouse.

The show feels so sparse right now, and with the justification in this episode as to why the "Idiot crew" was joining them.. it just seemed like lazy writing.
I'm not complaining that hard, the way it is now works, but it just feels like it's missing something that the earlier seasons had.
I miss the drones, too.

vypek

So, are people still expecting a
major character death
?

Only one I will be perfectly okay with is
Krieger since its so easy to write him back into the show.
Actually now that I think about it,
Ray can die and become full android/cyborg since he is on the way anyways.

vypek

Shit...
Cheryl/Carol is going to stab someone isn't she? Or is that too obvious to be the truth?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The references to Kickstarter only make this show's timeline even more confusing.

vypek

The references to Kickstarter only make this show's timeline even more confusing.

Its meant to be from a statement one of the creators made at some point if I recall correctly. The cars, technology and fashion most of all are used to throw off an idea of when the show takes place.

Grisby

Well, that was an ending I suppose. Kind of a weaker one compared to some of the other finales.. Pretty decent season overall though.

Akahige

Way behind this season, but I decide to do a re watch of the entire series before I watched this. Heart of Archness to is still the high point of the show to me. Archer Vice isn't as bad I remember and actually better than 4 which started off bad and ended just okay, I still hate the country music plot lines but I enjoyed the continuing story line throughout the season. The quality from season to season wasn't a giant downhill, Season 3 is good because of Heart of Archness and the rest of the season quality isn't that much different from Vice.

Heart of Archness> 1=2 > Rest of 3 > Vice > 4

So this Season I'm only a few episodes through so I can't yet speak for how much I enjoy the overall Season and I'm seriously impressed with improvements to the animation, it does have that uncanny valley thing going on once and a while with the eyes and mouth but the movement of the characters is improved a lot, there is subtle moments where faces react more. The voice acting seems to have gone downhill, last Season H. Jon Benjamin sounded sick all the time and now the few episodes I've seen of this Season half the cast sounds sick all the time, Mallory sounds almost like a different person.

I do miss the earlier seasons. I loved the random jokes, and how slow everything was; maybe that had to do with the animation quality.

season 1 and season 2 are still my favorite.

also, what did archer mean in the end when he put the shades on?

Savitar

After watching all that I got to ask..............what was the point of working for the CIA? I know some people hated the drug thing, but that feels like they were trying to do something. The whole CIA thing has been.....well it felt like so much less.

I'm not even sure what the point of the season was. Especially with the group blacklisted.

vypek

I do miss the earlier seasons. I loved the random jokes, and how slow everything was; maybe that had to do with the animation quality.

season 1 and season 2 are still my favorite.

also, what did archer mean in the end when he put the shades on?

Just assumed he has some kind of plan. Can't tell if that is a reference or something.

After watching all that I got to ask..............what was the point of working for the CIA? I know some people hated the drug thing, but that feels like they were trying to do something. The whole CIA thing has been.....well it felt like so much less.

I'm not even sure what the point of the season was. Especially with the group blacklisted.

I think the point of the CIA was actually just to transition. Season 6 and 7 were ordered at the same time so maybe FX knew of the plan that they had with the story. Or maybe their plans were off? They certainly couldn't return to being "ISIS" anymore. The plan might be to become a spy agency that is somewhat off the radar or something.

Razmos

Rather disappointing finale to be honest. The jokes kinda fell flat to me, and the crew screwing up by doing something stupid is getting stale at this point. I wish they'd show a little bit of competence sometimes.

The episode kinda meandered, the knitting needles joke was funny in a "expecting something to happen but nothing happens" kinda way, but the celebrity guy being there literally changed nothing, why was he there? I have absolutely no idea who he is and the jokes just fell completely flat due to that.

Ray being crippled again is also overused to the point of it not being funny anymore, as is Mallory's jokes about A.J. being too fat.

So it was 2 episodes of build up towards flat jokes, flat storylines and a mission that failed anyway, simply so that it could set a tone for next season (whatever that may be)

Disappointing. an episode of nothings.

Duplolas

Banned
So for those who have watched the Season 6 Finale of Archer, what do you think is going to happen next?

yeUglwr.png

THE UNANSWERED QUESTIONS:

Will Ray die or become the robot he was born to be?

If Ray becomes a robot will there be a sick robot fight between him and Barry in season 7?

Is Krieger a clone or not?

If Krieger is a clone, will anyone actually care? I mean, if he is a clone, he is basically just the same person anyways.

Will Phrasing ever work it's way back into the show? LIKE IT TRULY DESERVES

And most importantly, IS THIS THE START OF ARCHER VICE 2.0!?!?!

Only time will tell, but until then, here's some insider info from executive producer Matt Thompson:

"I can tell you that [creator] Adam Reed and I have made zero decisions. We do this purposely. We don't do anything until the season has been done for about 30 days. ... We use this time to go back and analyze what worked for the season and what didn't."

He goes on to say:

1. Woodhouse is alive and there's a big plan for him

"I do know that Woodhouse is going to be back next season. We had a huge, huge thing that we had planned for him [in Season 6], and I know that we're going to take that plan and put it into Season 7. I don't want to say what it is, but Woodhouse is not dead. I know for certain he will be a part of Season 7."

2. Archer's continued growth, albeit small, as a person

"I think that this year, more than any other, you saw [Archer] take two steps forward, two steps backward, one step forward, one step sideways. Throughout the season you saw these little moments where we let him be emotional for a second and I really enjoyed it. It was informed by the baby, it was informed by his love for Lana, and I want to see that stick."

3. But Archer isn't about to turn total family man

"I think [Lana and Archer] are headed for the danger zone, if you will. The show is designed for Archer's life to be in turmoil, so I don't know how long they can go on in a nice, happy relationship without something happening to blow it up. It's best to keep that character under pressure, all things coming from all sides. I don't know how long he can hold on to the good feelings he has with his baby mama."

4. This is not the last you've seen of Gary Cole or Christian Slater

"Even if we don't work for the CIA or FBI, we have to find a way to keep Gary Cole and Christian Slater around. That was one of the saddest things about Season 5, we didn't see Barry at all. Barry is my favorite non-main-character character. There's always the people I want to see us return to."

5. There are a few other guest stars they'd love to get

"I know Archer loves 'Magnum P.I.,' so I'd love to see [Tom Selleck] do something. Then for me, the funniest person on the planet right now is Nick Kroll. I don't know what we'd do with him, but I'd love to get him on the show. ... And what would Daniel Craig do on an episode of 'Archer'? You'd want him to play really against Daniel Craig's muscularity type. I think he would be super interesting to comment upon what we're doing. Those would be my three."

Source: http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/archer_season_7_huge_plans_woodhouse_4_more_teases-2015-04

EDIT: Thank you to the mod who merged this for me. I did a search and nothing came up.

I moved your post into the OT. There's no need for a new thread to discuss the finale.

Thanks for taking the time to put that post together. I'm sure it'll generate some good discussion here.

Duplolas

Banned
I moved your post into the OT. There's no need for a new thread to discuss the finale.

Thanks for taking the time to put that post together. I'm sure it'll generate some good discussion here.

No problemo. It was my mistake for not finding the thread. I honestly searched for a bit and it didn't come up. I thought it was so weird that NeoGaf wouldn't have an Archer OT.

Linius

No problemo. It was my mistake for not finding the thread. I honestly searched for a bit and it didn't come up. I thought it was so weird that NeoGaf wouldn't have an Archer OT.

In my experience it's easier to find threads using Google as opposed to Neogaf's own search function. Usually if you type something like 'Archer season 6 Neogaf' it should pop up on Google.

BigAT

Anyone else die laughing during the re-biggening scene? It's not like I didn't know there was a possibility of it happening, but the blood and guts everywhere and the destruction, plus Archer innocently popping up at the end, really got me.

Razmos

Anyone else die laughing during the re-biggening scene? It's not like I didn't know there was a possibility of it happening, but the blood and guts everywhere and the destruction, plus Archer innocently popping up at the end, really got me.
I was too busy being squicked out imagining them re-biggening inside the tear duct, brrr.

Linius

Is there a steakhouse around?!

big ander

I thought this was a pretty great season. No mind-blowingly funny and wild episodes, though the run of The Archer Sanction/Edie's Wedding/Vision Quest came damn close. Otherwise the season was chockablock solid episodes. Episodes I laughed a bunch during and whose situations I enjoyed. There were zero episodes in here I'd call average—just 12 very good to great episodes and 1 very bad one (I dunno how Nellis happened, was a webisode hard drive misdelivered by a courier?).

But really the value in this season to me was striking a balance between Archer's raunchy and referential espionage hijinks, traditional sitcom consistency, and genuine growth. Archer's change over the season is played as somewhat of a joke, but the magnificent thing in this season is that he truly does change. Not enough to completely reframe the dynamics of the group, but enough to shift them satisfactorily, where little reactions of his are mildly different than they would have been in seasons 1 and 2. That that was done without necessitating any dramatic shifts in the ensemble dynamic and without losing any of the humor is admirable, the kind of finesse all sitcoms aspire too. This wasn't the best season of Archer by any stretch. Yet it was the first one that made me think this show could go on for 5 more seasons.

edit: Oh yeah my other two points: 1) Krieger destroying everything was funny but possibly too unbelievable even for Archer. Like, why would the CIA not straight-up murder him after his errors cause the death of multiple scientists and then he follows that up by destroying the blueprints to an invaluable leap forward in technology. 2) As incompetent as the crew is, the failure of this mission isn't really their fault. Sure, the extra time constraint can be traced back to Krieger, and if Ray had piloted instead of inexplicably standing up as they were entering the vein perhaps they'd've moved quicker. But the real flaws in this plan are that the ex-ISIS team isn't prepared at all and that the ship has some design flaws like the airlock.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Much better season than 5 I thought. I liked most of it. Looking forward to seeing where they take next season, and those little tidbits above sound good.

Better than last season but honestly? Felt too safe. Reminded me of post-Goz Sealab. I think Archer has simply been on too long.

Red

It's not that it's been on too long, but that nothing's really changed. Since season 2 it's been business as usual.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
It's not that it's been on too long, but that nothing's really changed. Since season 2 it's been business as usual.

Change really didn't work for Archer, though.

Not really sure what they can do with the show now. It's not as amazing as it once was, but it's pretty damn reliably great and I still want more.

Season 7 speculation: I think they're going to start some sort of Private Detective/Mercenary group, which might mean less world travel stuff, but I think seeing Archer n' Co handle more domestic issues could be interesting, and they'll likely run against Slater n' Co in the process.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I actually think a lot of stuffs changed over the seasons. The big problem for mr is that there doesn't feel like many new jokes.

vypek

... but the celebrity guy being there literally changed nothing, why was he there? I have absolutely no idea who he is and the jokes just fell completely flat due to that.

Ray being crippled again is also overused to the point of it not being funny anymore, as is Mallory's jokes about A.J. being too fat.

Archer has a lot of jokes that will fall flat or will go unnoticed when people don't know the reference. The use of the celebrity may be questionable but his importance to the character Archer is somewhat interesting. Previously, we've learned that Archer is a HUGE fan of the superhero Shazam and watched the live action show of his from the 70's. Michael Gray (the celebrity wearing the Mr Slim Goodbody "replica" suit) is the actor who played the alter ego of Shazam on the tv show -- Billy Batson. So its understandable why Archer is excited about him. It also explains the joke when Archer said he wishes he could turn into Jackson Bostwick who is the actor who played the eponymous character Shazam on the show. Its very easy to miss a lot of the jokes in Archer, like a subtle reference to a book from which Archer's character gets some inspiration.

The joke about AJ being fat is very new to this season and it is kind of rare that they limit ongoing jokes to a single season. They've referenced it about, what, 8 times? They'll aim for some more mileage out of it I would guess. The writers like to build running jokes with the series. "Gay Terminator" has been referenced and is probably being built up to so Ray will probably continue to be crippled until he is completely robotic (with the mind/consciousness or Ray). Running jokes sometimes just send when they don't want to use it or will be mutated into something else (see: the "phrasing" joke).

Season 7 speculation: I think they're going to start some sort of Private Detective/Mercenary group, which might mean less world travel stuff, but I think seeing Archer n' Co handle more domestic issues could be interesting, and they'll likely run against Slater n' Co in the process.

I think this is a pretty good guess. Some "homegrown" sort of rag-tag group who builds themselves up. Maybe to the point where they build another spy agency.

Anyone think Ray is going to become a full on cyborg soon?

Absolutely!

big ander

I love the AJ being fat jokes. They're perhaps the pinnacle of Malory's meanness. So, so awful.

TV's Michael Gray worked the same way a lot of Archer's deep, deep cut references work: if you actually somehow know an obscure cultural/historical figure, it's hilarious. If you don't, all the other characters react by saying "who?" I think it works pretty often.

Nori Chan

Is there a reason Woodhouse wasn't in most of the season?

also i'm trying to see if there's a reference or a hint in the ending scene of the season finale

kirblar

Is there a reason Woodhouse wasn't in most of the season?

also i'm trying to see if there's a reference or a hint in the ending scene of the season finale
According to the creators, they ran out of room for the story they had planned for Woodhouse and it's been bumped to next season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Solid ending to a great comeback season. Very excited to see where they take things next year.

Yeah, it actually really surprised me. I think I might have even jumped, haha.

El Daniel

This season had some great episodes.

Top 3 this season:

1. Pocket Listing (Where Ray fights the plant)
2. The Kanes (Lana's parent's)
3. Vision Quest (Elevator episode)

Red

The Holdout, The Kanes, and Vision Quest were all great. Edie's Wedding and The Archer Sanction were pretty good. All the rest were solid except for Sitting and Nellis.

I think I enjoyed The Rules of Extraction from S5 more than anything this season. Just love that episode. Ranks with Heart of Archness for me.

The embiggening and Michael Gray staring at Slater and the horny doc were the best moments of the finale. I could do with less rubbing alcohol and fat baby jokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom