• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rezbit

Just takes practice, let me know if you want another game this week :)

Would love another game! Definitely took a bit of getting used to some of the infected - think I missed most of my charges and leaps (whatever they're actually called). The boomer, spitter and smoker were fun though.

The licker dude was cool. Have to stalk the survivors to pick the best spot to drag one away and hold everyone up. Almost cheating that you can float around next to them until you have to spawn.

277 hours.... :s

Oh and noobs are fine. Just run faster :p looking at you rep

lol Just too used to watching my back in other games so it was hard to resist the urge to hang back a few steps. Makes you a huge target for special infected to get on top of you and drag everyone back to your position.

Also is there a run button? Was using my Nostromo so had to rebind keys on the fly and didn't see if there was a run key.

The randomised selection of infected can really hurt you if you end up with the wrong one for the current situation. Especially when you don't know any of the maps. Got stuck trying to get up to those catwalks in the factory for too long :(

The parts where I shot things in the face with a shotgun were fun.

Axiom

I don't think I've ever successfully completed a full episode in Left 4 Dead despite owning both games.

Yeah, I'm fantastic at shooters.

Darklord

Banned
I wanna move out, I want one either next to the beach or in the city and nearly all the good ones are 2 bedroom and no body I know wants to move their lazy arse. Damn it, I don't want to pay $500 a week.

Salazar

About to check in. Will be glad to get away from the hordes of continental student groups that plague Britain's major cities.

Post jobs Apple.

Also, don't really buy it.
It's not even a story. The dude from AnandTech speculates about it, and says people at Apple are working on it, but there's no concrete plan. There's also no other confirmation from other sources.

That and the fact that Android's been able to support it since the previous version and no one seems to be developing for it anyway.

And finally, who wants to carry around a controller just in case you want to game on the go? Not to mention the nightmare it'll be for developers by fragmenting the market.

Yagharek

When Sony joined the console business it was with the intent of leveraging it as a way into the living room as the ultimate "set top box". When Microsoft made a console, it was to do the same, but also as a defensive move against Sony doing the same thing.

If (when) Apple make a device that can serve as a console - even if it's just an iPad which can stream to tvs and has a wireless controller for 'traditional' games - then they win. It will be the default set top box for games, general media hub and internet tv. Sony will be relegated to selling content over itunes, MS will be trying to make its own Zune equivalent and completely miss the point.

Incidentally, you will see a large proportion of (western?) game devs shift to iOS if its an open, ubiquitous platform as per the console surrogate outlined above. Heaven help anyone else if they get Call of Duty on it.

What about Nintendo? Seems like Apple would take their niche for the wider market and leave them Zelda/Mario fanboys

The concept tablet with controls by Razer looked pretty cool, regardless of how terrible it would be to cart around.

Why would Apple use the iPad as a device to 'own the living room', when they already have the AppleTV that is better suited to this, and there are rumours of them developing an integrated TV thing like Google's TV thing.

Yagharek

What about Nintendo? Seems like Apple would take their niche for the wider market and leave them Zelda/Mario fanboys

I really don't know. They didn't really seem to 'compete' when tables were turned against them in N64/GC era yet still maintained profitability. With Wii, they abdicated the power race.
When it suits them, they compete directly of course.

If Apple achieved an unassailable position in the home console market, who knows. They may go down the route of making a simple toy like console along the lines of what NES was meant to be. I guess in the same way that iPhone can sell tens of millions a year, 3DS can still sell several million as well. Maybe the same is true of home consoles.

I think the problem is exacerbated for MS/Sony since their console ventures are loss leaders/trojan horses. For Nintendo, it's their breadwinner. Sony has enough IP to sell content on any distribution platform. MS has Windows and productivity software - so in that sense a console might be expendable for them if it becomes impossible to make money.

I think the console market in general is capable of growing - we went from ~160 million sold last gen (excluding PS2s sold post 2006) to about 220 million this generation. 260 million if you count the post-2006 PS2s. An Apple console doesnt necessarily mean the end of consoles, but if any company were capable of making a mass market device that would go on to sell 200 million alone, it may well be them.

Why would Apple use the iPad as a device to 'own the living room', when they already have the AppleTV that is better suited to this, and there are rumours of them developing an integrated TV thing like Google's TV thing.

It's an example. It could do the job. It could also be that they just make another iOS device that serves the same purpose.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
When Sony joined the console business it was with the intent of leveraging it as a way into the living room as the ultimate "set top box". When Microsoft made a console, it was to do the same, but also as a defensive move against Sony doing the same thing.

If (when) Apple make a device that can serve as a console - even if it's just an iPad which can stream to tvs and has a wireless controller for 'traditional' games - then they win. It will be the default set top box for games, general media hub and internet tv. Sony will be relegated to selling content over itunes, MS will be trying to make its own Zune equivalent and completely miss the point.

Incidentally, you will see a large proportion of (western?) game devs shift to iOS if its an open, ubiquitous platform as per the console surrogate outlined above. Heaven help anyone else if they get Call of Duty on it.

The problem is though, You're assuming that developers are actually able to sell their games and be profitable in the clusterfuck that is the iTunes games market.

When I said that more technology in the iPad would cause games to become more complex, I didn't just mean by design. If the iPad gets a fancy controller and more power year after year, That's going to mean development teams have to increase in size. Which increases the amount of money spent on development which then increases the cost of the game to the end user.

Do you honestly think that people are going to pay $10-$15 on the majority of iPad games compared to the few bucks they are now? And even if people do spend that sort of money individuals will be picky, Maybe they buy 1 game a month now instead of 5 or 6 because they were $1 or $2 a piece.

On top of that, What makes mobile gaming great is the fact things change rapidly. What's popular now (drawing shit with friends) isn't going to be popular in the 3 months time. When you throw in larger style games you have the possibility of stagnating actual design and ultimately turning it into what we have now with consoles, shooters and dudebros all over the fucking place.

You can still get your cheap titles which will now be seen as "indie" like it is at the moment but it then ultimately is a console, Instead of being the device which games are constantly changing and only costing you a few bucks for a few hours of entertainment.

Why the fuck would you want that?

Yagharek

I dont want that. I dont want an Apple console future; smartphone games are bad enough as it is. I can just see it happening though.

Omikron

#moderngaminggraphics

4CA6A2FA7058C0CB21656AE79FF70D2782D15E1D

The gf is under the weather so I am at home looking after the tike. Latched on and bit me a good one on the thigh. Needless to say he realises I don't appreciate that kind of thing now.

#moderngaminggraphics
Use FRAPS dude! Also kick up the contrast a bit, looks like they forgot to pay their electrical bill.

Cutscenes in ME3 are MASTERFUL. Damn great directing.

I couldn't really as having a sleeping child in the room next door would have resulted in spouse unrest.
Same here, plus I was bopping away to some nice stoner metal at the time. Try High on Fire!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Physio booked for 10am thursday in the city. Which means 11am finish, 12pm thai deli for lunch and maybe a few hours of shopping for some new clothing.

I will buy nothing :(

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
So whats the next big controversy that I can cause....

Oh and fuck all the haters who doubted me, I don't publish bullshit rumours. Any rumours that end up false on Vooks are from other people (like me reporting on other peoples rumours). My track record is like 99%

Oh and Dick Smith ceasing selling games? Remains to be seen if that's true or not. ;)

so whats going on with april 14 who xan come and who cant? someone said we should go to the place fapp? Suggested? I dont know what that is so yes lets go to that place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom