• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
i like it

ugh

YES

thankyou

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

also i hate myself for doing this but
birfday.gif

Happy birthday.

So I've spent literally hundreds of hours this summer alone working so bloody hard on my website, hoping that it'll continue to grow and please my users, as well as compete against my competitor. Many of you know of it and know that I've put some effort into it. Read on, this isn't an advertisement.

How far off am I from this competitor? Well, I'm receiving 40K page views a week and he announced last weekend that he received 5.5 million in the same week.

This guy must be doing something right, hey?

Well, I just discovered something that has left me utterly speechless. This competitor's leeching directly off my stats feed. How did I find this? As soon as my server crashed, his stats feed stopped. As soon as my server was back up, his one resumed. This seemed suspicious, so I changed values in my database on the fly and guess what, they reflected on his site.

So this person, who is receiving 5.5 million page views a week (125,000 more than me!), has his own advertising agent and sponsors, is leeching off my site.

Speechless.

Oh and I have screenshots which reflect this.

As others have mentioned I'd be kicking up a major stink. I' personally be furious, even more so as he's (presumably) making money off your hard work. I'm actually impressed how calm you are about it all.

Whats your website?

midonnay

kickstarter send poop to m0nty >_>

ps: fucking carltank...... lose 5 games in a row in the preseason, now destroying the opposition.

Swapped out marc murphy from supercoach coz of that :/

If all else fails we can cab it and go to Fitzroy and go to like the provincial hotel. That place was decent.
Or you can chance it with Mo Vida Next Door, since it's first come, first served. Sometimes a long wait, though. And the place is called 1806, not 1802... my bad.

I am with the rest, I would slam Monty, as he is always waffling about the industry of fantasy football etc etc.
Give the guy a chance to respond/fix it first in private. And then if he doesn't? That's when the real fun starts!

Give the guy a chance to respond/fix it first in private. And then if he doesn't? That's when the real fun starts!
I like your response the most.

Ydahs,

I have one stupid question per day that I'm allowed to use and I've decided to use it to ask you a question: Can you not password protect or restrict who accesses the database of score on your site?

I know it's a stupid question, otherwise you would have done that already but I don't understand internets good for stuff like this.

hamchan

Lol Activision rumour. Gaf has a hard on for doomed Nintendo news.

Stupid rumour anyways. Activision supported the Wii with fairly decent downgrade ports of CoD games that sold quite well. Doesn't make sense for them not to support the Wii U, especially when they can just reuse the PS3/360 engine for it.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
MelbGAF part to - april the 14th 4pm at some location, happy for it to be my place (holycheck) if people just want to beer and videogame

Attending:
HolyCheck
BananaArnie
Aon

Not Attending:
Reptilescorpio
Megadrive

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Western Anime is so much better than actual anime. :p
Maybe if you selectively compare the best western anime to the worst anime (which you did just then), then yeah it probably is. Yet the best of western anime isn't even in the same league as the best japanese anime.:)

Also all of AUSGAF should be watching Lupin III : The Woman called Fujiko Mine (check my OP in the OT on it) regardless of whether you are anime fans or not.

Rahk

Can you recommend any recent-ish j-dramas that aren't about love tragedies that make chicks cry? I wouldn't mind watching some for learning purposes.

I think there was a recent drama about war which is supposed to be really good, but it's like 200 episodes or something...

I haven't really watched anything in the past couple years, but here's some of my favourites if you haven't watched them:

Tiger and Dragon - A great comedy/drama that revolves around Rakugo. I don't remember the specifics of it, but basically a Yakuza member becomes involved in learning Rakugo while trying to collect debts. I think each episode was a retelling of a Rakugo story, and it was often hilarious.

Kekkon Dekinai Otoko - Another good comedy that isn't cheesy like most J-Drama comedies. It's a show about characters and their relationships, revolving around the main character who is a bit eccentric. Ken-chan, the pug, is the star of the show.

TRICK - Unemployed magician and a physics professor go around trying to solve supernatural mysteries. The characters are great and it has a style that isn't like most other shows.

My Boss My Hero - Straight up high school comedy, but it's hilarious. A yakuza member (high school drop out) is forced to go back to high school to obtain his diploma, otherwise his brother will become the Yakuza boss. It was less cheesy than something like GTO or Gokusen, but that's probably because it is self aware.

Nodame Cantabile - Very cheesy most of the time, but there was something about it I enjoyed. Probably because music is heavily involved.

Kisarazu Cat's Eye - Honestly don't remember much at all about this apart from thinking it was really funny and liking it. I think a member of a baseball team is told he has six months to live, so they steal from criminals or something?

Rezbit

Lol Activision rumour. Gaf has a hard on for doomed Nintendo news.

The whole stuff surrounding the Wii U is damn embarrassing. Like you said, you have the people getting boners about anything bad that pops, and the staunch Nintendo fans saying "It's got enough power," etc etc. Now an analyst jumps in to feed the fire, by saying they should make iOS games, LOL.

Rahk

I've heard Jin is pretty good. Its about a surgeon who is transported back in time to feudal Japan. I haven't seen it yet, but eeeeveryone is recommending it.
Sounds like a Japanese Life on Mars. I might check it out.

I love Japanese subtitles.

Episode 1:
The Touching Story of Love and Life Beyond Time and Space
~A Modern-day Brain Surgeon is Sent to the Edo Period of Upheaval...
Now the Hands of History Begin to move! Only a Person Can Help a Person!!

midonnay

I think its only a matter of time until Nintendo goes third party......so many 500 pound gorillas trying to take it down..... its inevitable.

just hope its after I'm dead >_<

I think its only a matter of time until Nintendo goes third party......so many 500 pound gorillas trying to take it down..... its inevitable.

just hope its after I'm dead >_<

Why would they? They make unique games people want to buy, and they put them on hardware they control AND make a profit on.

midonnay

Nintendo is getting squeezed from both ends

Apple is slowly stealing the market it expanded with the Wii, and Microsoft has the upmarket COD audience.

its the beginning of the end like what happened to RIM/blackberry imo :/

if hardware sales fall to catastrophic levels (not saying it'll happen in the Wiiu gen), you'll probably see a shareholder revolt for the company to go software only.

HolyCheck

Nintendo is getting squeezed from both ends

Apple is slowly stealing the market it expanded with the Wii, and Microsoft has the upmarket COD audience.

its the beginning of the end like what happened to RIM/blackberry imo :/

if hardware sales fall to catastrophic levels (not saying it'll happen in the Wiiu gen), you'll probably see a shareholder revolt for the company to go software only.

The latest figures from Japan's Media Create are in, showing that last year's trend has been fully reversed. Now the consumers are hungry for Nintendo's 3DS, given that it shipped 121,921 units in the week ending April 1st. That put it comfortably ahead of the PlayStation 3 (23,771), PSP (18,356) and PS Vita's (12,105) sales combined. The stats reveal that the 3DS is now accounting for 65 percent of all hardware sales in the country, a marked turnaround from when the console's future looked gloomy. Meanwhile, the biggest selling game was Kingdom Hearts 3D for Nintendo's newest handheld, which managed to shift over 200,000 units in just seven days.

Jintor

I haven't really watched anything in the past couple years, but here's some of my favourites if you haven't watched them:

Tiger and Dragon - A great comedy/drama that revolves around Rakugo. I don't remember the specifics of it, but basically a Yakuza member becomes involved in learning Rakugo while trying to collect debts. I think each episode was a retelling of a Rakugo story, and it was often hilarious.

Kekkon Dekinai Otoko - Another good comedy that isn't cheesy like most J-Drama comedies. It's a show about characters and their relationships, revolving around the main character who is a bit eccentric. Ken-chan, the pug, is the star of the show.

TRICK - Unemployed magician and a physics professor go around trying to solve supernatural mysteries. The characters are great and it has a style that isn't like most other shows.

My Boss My Hero - Straight up high school comedy, but it's hilarious. A yakuza member (high school drop out) is forced to go back to high school to obtain his diploma, otherwise his brother will become the Yakuza boss. It was less cheesy than something like GTO or Gokusen, but that's probably because it is self aware.

Nodame Cantabile - Very cheesy most of the time, but there was something about it I enjoyed. Probably because music is heavily involved.

Kisarazu Cat's Eye - Honestly don't remember much at all about this apart from thinking it was really funny and liking it. I think a member of a baseball team is told he has six months to live, so they steal from criminals or something?

These all sound amazing. I will get on it in my copious free time.

midonnay

The latest figures from Japan's Media Create are in, showing that last year's trend has been fully reversed. Now the consumers are hungry for Nintendo's 3DS, given that it shipped 121,921 units in the week ending April 1st. That put it comfortably ahead of the PlayStation 3 (23,771), PSP (18,356) and PS Vita's (12,105) sales combined. The stats reveal that the 3DS is now accounting for 65 percent of all hardware sales in the country, a marked turnaround from when the console's future looked gloomy. Meanwhile, the biggest selling game was Kingdom Hearts 3D for Nintendo's newest handheld, which managed to shift over 200,000 units in just seven days.

I'm talking more like in 10 years......and japan isn't as relevant a barometer of the worldwide videogame market anymore >_>

I'm talking more like in 10 years......and japan isn't as relevant a barometer of the worldwide videogame market anymore >_>

They don't need to be. They're Nintendo's primary market, where they target their consoles and software and if they had to retreat just to Japan, I doubt they'd even care.

HolyCheck

there was a thread recently you need to find about how much cash nintendo is just sitting on.. some one worked out how many years they could just not do anything and still remain.

Danoss

VIDEO GAME FINANCIALS! Does it get more exciting?

Well, yes, you could play games and talk about that. I know after a nice session of D&D we'll talk about the fun that was had, the cool moments that were carried out or observed, and the loot that was taken. The last thing I want to talk about is how the parent company's stock is performing or if sales are up or down.

"See here Johnson, it would be in Wizards of the Coast best interest to release their new 5th Edition, or 'D&D Next' as they are calling it, within the next 2 fiscal cycles. Sales have fallen and they are losing ground to Pathfinder, which is unfortunate since it's just a modified version of the previous 3.5 Edition that was under TSR's control before they went under and were bought out. I would be sorely disappointed to see the D&D brand fail and for WotC to only write adventures for other game system. Gasp, that would be like 'going third party'" Zzzzzz.

Carry on gentlemen.

midonnay

^^^^^^ausgaf doesn't play games.....they talk about games.....or watch people playing games on youtube.

there was a thread recently you need to find about how much cash nintendo is just sitting on.. some one worked out how many years they could just not do anything and still remain.

thats not how capitalism works.....you don't just sit on cash. Shareholders want to see a good return or they'll throw a hissy fit.

I like how any time any topic comes up in here there has to be someone that goes "oh no I'm not interested in that thing". Sports, politics, sales, whatever, it's always accompanied by an "omg guys that's so boring yawnorama amirite" post.

Danoss

I like how any time any topic comes up in here there has to be someone that goes "oh no I'm not interested in that thing". Sports, politics, sales, whatever, it's always accompanied by an "omg guys that's so boring yawnorama amirite" post.

And yet, that's not what happened here.

And yet, that's not what happened here.

So then I misread your post and it wasn't a dismissal of the discussion of sales? Sorry if that's the case, but it certainly came across very "wow that's boring why don't you guys just talk about games or whatever" to me.

I'm not even singling you out here, my apologies if it seemed that way. It's just that it happens every. single. time. without fail. People talking about cricket because there's a game on? omg guyz cricket is so boring. Something popped up in politics that has people talking? omg guyz politics is so boring.

Danoss

Perhaps my point was somehow diluted by incorporating my own hobbies example instead of elaborating.

I was commenting that on a forum about video games, a popular topic is not how great games are or the fun someone had enjoying one, but how well a company is performing or something along those lines. I'm not complaining, I just find it funny.

When the NPD threads were around, they were the most popular threads on the gaming side. Am I wrong? The most popular thread on a forum about video games is a thread about sales figures. How is that not in any way strange to anyone except me? Maybe I really am the odd man out here.

Now, when I talked about WotC in my post and their new game edition, all of that was true. Who here found it enthralling? I know no-one gives a shit about my D&D game that I post about, but surely everyone is far less interested in how the game designer and parent company Hasbro is performing and the demands of the boardroom. That's what I'm trying to say, I think it's more fun and interesting to talk about the entertainment itself, than the corporate people who make financial decisions or the financial performance of the company. So I am surprised when people discuss the latter.

Politics on the other hand, I make no bones that I bitch about it. I will do exactly that, every time I have to work my way through pages of that shit. Not because it's boring, but because I find it repulsive.

I may not be making myself clear here, but I've tried my best.

omg guyz complaining bout complaining is soo boring!
LOL, I like you. There is quite often the complainer about the complainer.

wonzo

Banned
AUSGAF! Where's the cheapest place to order/import a vita + 32GB memcard?

Maybe if you selectively compare the best western anime to the worst anime (which you did just then), then yeah it probably is. Yet the best of western anime isn't even in the same league as the best japanese anime.:)

Also all of AUSGAF should be watching Lupin III : The Woman called Fujiko Mine (check my OP in the OT on it) regardless of whether you are anime fans or not.
do it for the fujiko tits!

I don't find it strange at all. Sales figures and analysing data is a lot of fun. Personally i actually kinda enjoy that more than games themselves. I find even with sport i often find myself caught up looking at stats and reading and talking about the business side of things.

As for the popularity of sales threads, well i think that just has to do with the amount of people with console allegiances. Especially in the early days of this generation those huge NPD threads were basically a battleground.

I think it's disappointing that sales threads only really get that big because of fanboy bullshit rather than legitimate analysis and discussion.

I always thought ghibli was a soft g sound and gib was a hard g sound??

I was talking more about when I see the word than when people say it. My silly mind just likes to make little jokes all the time to myself.
At least the voice in my head isn't telling me to burn stuff any more, much easier to stay out of trouble when it is just telling shitty jokes to me.

Also I like sales talk. Mainly about how a project or publisher are going. Most of the talk these days since the sales-age stuff got snuffed out is circular and repeated ad nauseum though. Nintendo ain't got shit to worry about, they don't have a tenth of the worries of Microsoft or Sony. Worse comes to worse they can pull a Sega and farm out their IP and live off that for a decade while they regroup.

I wish we knew more about the budget process and the expenses from start of a project until 12 months after release to see exactly how the money moves and the viability of the system.

Buy your Vita goodness from Amazon, next time they have a sale on games so you get discounted shipping.

Yagharek

If Nintendo is doomed, Microsoft and Sony gaming divisions must be worse off given the entire history of the generation. But apparently that is forgotten in lieu of wishful thinking.

Incidental comment on a book I'm slowly reading; Perdido Street Station. The shit just hit the fan and its now completely different. The world of Bas Lag needs to be made known to all. Such a rich mythos.

Jintor

I don't find it strange at all. Sales figures and analysing data is a lot of fun. Personally i actually kinda enjoy that more than games themselves. I find even with sport i often find myself caught up looking at stats and reading and talking about the business side of things.

As for the popularity of sales threads, well i think that just has to do with the amount of people with console allegiances. Especially in the early days of this generation those huge NPD threads were basically a battleground.

I think it's disappointing that sales threads only really get that big because of fanboy bullshit rather than legitimate analysis and discussion.

Pretty much.

HolyCheck

MelbGAF part to - april the 14th 4pm at some location, happy for it to be my place (holycheck) if people just want to beer and videogame

Attending:
HolyCheck
BananaArnie
Aon
Aniseed

Not Attending:
Reptilescorpio
Megadrive

Yagharek

Pretty much.

The thing that bugs me is not so much fanboyism of one platform so much as anti fanboyism and actively wishing for or cheering on bad news/speculation/FUD. That is what's going on in Wii U threads, and before that in 3ds, Wii, ds, gba, GC, threads etc ad infinitum.

Nintendo fanboys have a bad rep, sure. But that's mostly unchecked enthusiasm. In direct opposition to it is the hard on for failure lots of people have, and invariably those people are boorish dickheads.

HolyCheck

Attending:
HolyCheck
BananaArnie
Aon
Aniseed

Not Attending:
Reptilescorpio
Megadrive
Omi
EvlCookie (he'll say he will, then announce via twitter 2 hours before hand hes sick)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom