• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

This is exactly the shit I'm talking about. You don't need to walk out over something so... minor. For fuck's sake. I know you have other shit on your shoulders, but this is a nothing, a non-event, we were pretty much already over it.

Danoss

Eh, it's not the first time you've left us.

Chill out for a month and come back fresh faced or something man.

Sorry man, I think I'm done for good this time. If I can't express a view without getting grilled or accused of being seriously angry about it, I'm really not interested.

This is exactly the shit I'm talking about. You don't need to walk out over something so... minor. For fuck's sake.

What's 'exactly this shit you're talking about'. You've expressed nothing of the kind, I don't even know what you're talking about. And minor? According to you I'm angry, my thoughts don't matter and shouldn't be expressed because it's something you don't do. What's the point of a forum then?

Jintor

Fine, maybe I didn't actually say anything because I've had, what, less than a paragraph's worth of words that you've blown up about over the last page or so? But you already threatened to walk out over the last page, as if that was what anybody wanted. Nobody forced you out, nobody said "Get out if you don't like it". I never said any of that stuff, I never said your thoughts didn't matter, I never said they shouldn't be expressed because I don't do it; I just said it's common courtesy not to jump into a convo and just crush the topic of discussion at hand. I apologise if a callous disregard for your opinions was inferable from my posts. I like having you and your views around, okay? But threatening to walk out isn't the actions of a rational person. It's childish.

MelbGAF part to - april the 14th 4pm at some location, happy for it to be my place (holycheck) if people just want to beer and videogame

Attending:
HolyCheck
BananaArnie
Aon
Aniseed

Not Attending:
Reptilescorpio
Megadrive
Omi
EvlCookie (he'll say he will, then announce via twitter 2 hours before hand hes sick)

I'm sorry okay. Blame my Greekness and having Easter late.

Danoss

It's childish to not wish to continue to post in a place where your posts are considered worthless? Not because they're wrong, but because the opinion is unpopular and not shared by a single other person. I wasn't being racist or offensive, I just couldn't understand the fascination over something. A lot of it was tongue-in-cheek but was taken at face value.

Why would a rational person want to continue to participate in such an environment? It's a waste of time in my eyes. I don't want to leave, but I sure don't feel welcome. It's a shame all that bullshit came out over something so trivial.

legend166

You know, I honestly don't see how I'm seen as the aggressor here. I have stated a clearly unpopular view, an opinion. This has been pointed out by many as wrong and that I'm somehow very angry about it (I honestly don't really care). I get called a knob, told that others don't give a shit what I think, they're perfectly entitled to their views (as if I'm not somehow) and that I should do what others do (because why?).

Jintor, I know you're an intelligent person, so maybe you can explain how someone saying they find something uninteresting, and that they don't understand the fascination, as declaring it boring (please don't, I really don't care)? They're not one and the same, so try calming down. You're clearly heavily invested in something that I've indicated I don't find interesting and are somehow wounded by my thoughts on the topic.

-----------------

Since I'm clearly the Anti-Christ of AusGAF because I don't like what everyone else likes, I think I might make myself scarce. I'm sure many people will be sad to see me go, considering how popular I am. Sincerely, I'm sure many of you have your fingers crossed that I'm not mucking around here, don't worry, I'm not. It's clear that I have taken my expression of thoughts a step too far. I have been told last night and today by people here that I'm either an arsehole or a knob, so it's pretty clear that even before this ridiculous discussion I wasn't well thought-of.

I was in the process of trying to put an RPG together for anyone on AusGAF that wanted to join, and it's hard to make something for everyone's tastes. I was hoping to ask around and see what everyone was looking for, hopefully there would be a happy medium in my collection that plays well over Mumble. Alas, I won't be following through with that any longer, so sorry to anyone who may have enjoyed that. I have a group I play with outside of AusGAF, so I'll keep my PnP RPG fun there.

Please don't send me any invites to any SydGAF board gaming events as I'm no longer interested. Again, I have another group to play with and I'll leave there too. Jintor is (rarely) a participant of the SydGAF group, so I don't want to ruin that dynamic by turning up with the sentiments that clearly got under his skin in the last page or two here.

I know I won't be missed, but whatever.

Dude, chillax. I don't think you're a knob. I said you were being a knob about this particular issue. Which you sorta were. This post is pretty damn snarky and condescending.

Either way, I apologise.

I have no idea if my posts were considered aggressive or defensive whatever but i was just stating why i happen to enjoy that stuff. I didn't mean any offense at all.

Edit: Just on sydgaf when do you guys meet up? I'm from Newcastle but i wouldn't mind joining in if you guys meet up or anything. I suspect there probably aren't many newcastle gaffers :p.

Deeku

I only hold a grudge against danoss for putting a beard on my beloved, and it's only jokingly really...well, kinda of:p

Danoss

I have no idea if my posts were considered aggressive or defensive whatever but i was just stating why i happen to enjoy that stuff. I didn't mean any offense at all.

Haha, I didn't take offense at all, there was nothing offensive in there at all. You posted an opinion, that's all. The post that legend referenced is me taking the piss out of something you posted.

I thought someone preferring stats over the game itself was humourous and made a post demonstrating it. Others thought that post was snarky and condescending. Are they telling me they can't see the humourous side of that statement? That's certainly what it's telling me.

By the way, if I turned around and honestly wanted to discuss sales figures within the PnP RPG industry, would you guys participate? Would you be interested?

Also, I don't understand apologising when you meant what you said. That's kinda going over my head. Paraphrasing legend: "sorry for calling you a knob, but you kinda were". C'mon man.

Kritz

Banned
Danoss,

When you post an opinion, and then people post an opinion about your opinion, that's a discussion.

A discussion is not you posting an opinion, people posting their opinion, then getting bitter that nobody agrees with you.

"Why would a rational person want to continue to participate in such an environment? It's a waste of time in my eyes. I don't want to leave, but I sure don't feel welcome. It's a shame all that bullshit came out over something so trivial."

Danoss

Are you serious? I have not once been bitter because no one agreed with me. I've pointed out that what I wrote had been misinterpreted, but never bitter.

Haha, I didn't take offense at all, there was nothing offensive in there at all. You posted an opinion, that's all. The post that legend referenced is me taking the piss out of something you posted.

I thought someone preferring stats over the game itself was humourous and made a post demonstrating it. Others thought that post was snarky and condescending. Are they telling me they can't see the humourous side of that statement? That's certainly what it's telling me.

By the way, if I turned around and honestly wanted to discuss sales figures within the PnP RPG industry, would you guys participate? Would you be interested?

Probably not, it's more fun if it's something your interested in. I wouldn't have much knowledge about the subject so it would be hard to get involved. I don't prefer sales data over all games but in general i'd say it's a hobby i tend to stick to more regularly than gaming. Then again i prefer watching games to playing them a lot of the time so i'm weird.

Yagharek

I for one enjoy danoss' musings and would hate to see him stop posting.

I also have nfi how or why the last two pages escalated the way they did. It seems to me like misunderstandings all round.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a nice steak tonight.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've never seen such a fierce persecution complex.

Jintor

Personally, I would be, but only like... limited to the PnP stuff I'm interested in. I'd love to see how WoD's fortunes shift, or how the ebook market and the easy pirating of pdfs affects their sales, for instance.

Danoss

Probably not, it's more fun if it's something your interested in. I wouldn't have much knowledge about the subject so it would be hard to get involved. I don't prefer sales data over all games but in general i'd say it's a hobby i tend to stick to more regularly than gaming. Then again i prefer watching games to playing them a lot of the time so i'm weird.

That's what I thought. I'm in the same boat because I don't play video games, I'm not invested so it doesn't interest me. That said, I wasn't into it when I did play video games.

This is the sort of discussion I was expecting when I posted all the things I did. I was having a laugh and a joke and people took it to heart. The post I made was taking the piss out of what you said and you took it like a champ. Kudos to you sir! (Not joking in the slightest here).

Yagharek

And rereading his original post, I get what danoss was saying quite clearly: for a forum about games, there sure is a lack of focus on playing the damn things. I know I'm guilty of that charge.

Jintor

I think most of the game-playing communities live either in OTs or got switched over to the Community forum thanks to the new policies.

That's what I thought. I'm in the same boat because I don't play video games, I'm not invested so it doesn't interest me. That said, I wasn't into it when I did play video games.

This is the sort of discussion I was expecting when I posted all the things I did. I was having a laugh and a joke and people took it to heart. The post I made was taking the piss out of what you said and you took it like a champ. Kudos to you sir! (Not joking in the slightest here).

Well it's a subject that i think a lot of people would probably find boring, i tend to enjoy mundane things like that (probably why i liked rpgs and MMO's).

And rereading his original post, I get what danoss was saying quite clearly: for a forum about games, there sure is a lack of focus on playing the damn things. I know I'm guilty of that charge.

Most of my posts on actual games are confined to SC2 threads. I tend to really just gravitate to 1 or 2 games i really focus on until i eventually move on. I definitely make more posts in off topic though.

Yagharek

No, you both missed my point. The forum I mean is gaf in general. The forum is about games, but there is a lot of discussion in topics about games that are verging on incidental if not completely unrelated. Not ausgaf specifically.

And most gaming forums are like this. Its often the case that games themselves are an afterthought relative to discussion about things like marketshare, graphical comparisons, corporate moves, marketplace trends, advertising etc. Too much meta.

No, you both missed my point. The forum I mean is gaf in general. The forum is about games, but there is a lot of discussion in topics about games that are verging on incidental if not completely unrelated. Not ausgaf specifically.

And most gaming forums are like this. Its often the case that games themselves are an afterthought relative to discussion about things like marketshare, graphical comparisons, corporate moves, marketplace trends, advertising etc. Too much meta.

Yup. Shamefully I hardly ever use gaf for gaming stuffs :( In fact, I think the reason I joined up was so I could post in off topic. I'm not sure if its a bad thing though. There are still more people in the gaming section than in community or OT at any given time, so its not as if its not a gaming forum anymore.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Well it's a subject that i think a lot of people would probably find boring, i tend to enjoy mundane things like that (probably why i liked rpgs and MMO's).

Most of my posts on actual games are confined to SC2 threads. I tend to really just gravitate to 1 or 2 games i really focus on until i eventually move on. I definitely make more posts in off topic though.

*fist bump* you should get in steam chat for more sc2 talk!

also it's my step dads 40th soon, he likes video games (hes about 150 hours into skyrim, but has also previously enjoyed games like fallout and dragon age, but i think hes taking a break from that style of game, also has enjoyed just cause, but also more patient PC games like sins of a solar empire, civilisation 5 and so on) he also likes sci fi and fantasy novels (and games!)

anyone got any really good ideas for a present?

Danoss

Thanks Vince, I can't believe it has taken this long for someone to get my initial point. You have expanded on it perfectly too, there is much discussion outside the actual games themselves to things that are ultimately irrelevant to their enjoyment.

Yagharek

Thanks Vince, I can't believe it has taken this long for someone to get my initial point. You have expanded on it perfectly too, there is much discussion outside the actual games themselves to things that are ultimately irrelevant to their enjoyment.

Glad to be of service. Don't expect this kind of lucidity to last, however. I will be back in here raging at the next online pass fiasco. :p

Rep is a knob too.

So's ya mum.

Had fancy homemade hot dogs for lunch and having corned beef for dinner. Yum yum.
Finally got Vimeo going so I could watch the Double Fine video. So so good. Would have sucked for Tim to have to fire people for the first time if the Kick starter didn't work out after that project got cancelled, especially a dozen of them. The XBLA games obviously didn't bring in a hell of a lot of profit.

Rahk

As for the Japanese, it's been like five years since I've done it so I can barely remember what I even used to know.

Something like, 200 kanji, a pretty decent self introduction consisting of my name, age, birthday, family, likes and dislikes, favourite activities / things I like to do. I used to be able to do veeery basic Q&A stuff like "what did you do on thursday" / "I killed a hooker and snorted coke off her swollen ruptured body". I could combine sentences fairly well and do stuff like "because", "but", "and". And I was usually pretty good with tenses (past, present) and general grammar.

But it's been so long I probably would need to pay attention and relearn stuff, but... I suspect that's something that's obtainable for me.
Yeah, you should be fine even without studying a whole lot.

I thought the first year was a breeze even though I had no experience with the language apart from watching some anime.

Jintor

If you're not too busy with other stuff it should be fine. My main problem with studying languages has always been that I'm busy outside of it.

Too much bullshit on this page, we're Australian, she'll be right etc.

Let's all relax and be merry. Dramas are for other threads/forums/places.

Hey, Japan-AusGAF: Wondering if I could ask a favour. We have some instant pudding we've bought but I can't decipher the instructions.

I'm guessing with this you add 150mL of milk, stir and then refrigerate.
ZhFg9.jpg

This one? I have no idea... Add a bunch of stuff? There are a few sachets in the packet so I figure it might be those... maybe.
6Fgo1.jpg

Thanks a heap in advance, we've had them in the cupboard for ages and I'm really like to make them!

You said zero, the number is clearly more than that given my thirty seconds of Googling.

So there's snobbery in the board game community too? Oh my. It must be a terrible community!

Pretty sure you need to add tentacles or something.

Omikron

So, CK2 is pretty amazing. Started with Denmark in 1066 and my first ruler was a bit if a fail minus the fact he had like 20 children. I wed the hell out of them to all the major other houses so they love me etc. Participated in a couple wars but mainly as an ally before my original leader did and his legitimized bastard soon took the reins.

His wife had yet to produce a son and only one daughter so after I was able to imprison her due to a plot, I then killed her off and am now in the market for a nubile courtier to hopefully produce me another heir.

Jintor

So, CK2 is pretty amazing. Started with Denmark in 1066 and my first ruler was a bit if a fail minus the fact he had like 20 children. I wed the hell out of them to all the major other houses so they love me etc. Participated in a couple wars but mainly as an ally before my original leader did and his legitimized bastard soon took the reins.

His wife had yet to produce a son and only one daughter so after I was able to imprison her due to a plot, I then killed her off and am now in the market for a nubile courtier to hopefully produce me another heir.

Story game-creating systems, the best type of systems.

Fogz

I just loaded up CK2....where the hell do I start!? :p

Also there has to be a Game of Thrones mod for this game

markot

Banned
Father bob defending the banks and mining companies.....wat.

>.>?

Father Maguire told ABC News Breakfast he agrees with the sentiment, but the message could go further.

"Why don't we look lower? Like middle management or something. Or the churches even," he said.

"But he does mention the mates of mine, Occupy Melbourne, as giving at least a philosophical basis for rethinking what the Commonwealth of Australia is, and that's trickle up.

"If the 1 per cent have got all the dough and the 99 per cent have to go to work like you and me, well then there's something out of kilter."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-06/catholic-and-anglican-easter-messages/3936648

midonnay

thats not how they portrayed it on abc news >_<

something about father bob rebuking the anglican archbishop for picking on easy targets.

Darklord

Banned
Or you can chance it with Mo Vida Next Door, since it's first come, first served. Sometimes a long wait, though. And the place is called 1806, not 1802... my bad.

We're going at like 9 so we won't going early but maybe can catch it as the first round of people are leaving. Gonna go to that rooftop bar at cookie before hand. Seems a good meeting place.

Salazar

oh, you back in Queensland then?

Yes. Missed some uni stuff while away. Completely fell (further) for girl I travelled with. Still having random naps throughout the day, so jetlag did get me.

I return home to Campbell Newman being a total dick in a number of ways.

Frawdder

I just loaded up CK2....where the hell do I start!? :p

Also there has to be a Game of Thrones mod for this game
Firstly go through the tutorials as they are quite informative. Starting out, Ireland is a good place to start, namely Dublin or Munster with your long term goal to become the King of Ireland. These two are great starting positions in addition to not overwhelming you with being a King whilst still letting you understand the mechanics of the game.

As to the second point, there is one in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom