• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritz

Banned
Man you didn't like Thor? It was rad, as was Captain America.
But Jint is right you don't need to see any before hand.

Thor was absolute rubbish. Natalie Portman was, as always, a terrible actor and made every scene she was in unwatchable. The other girl and the old guy were both complete filler characters, and Thor's entire time on earth was spent doing nothing. That's the problem with Thor. It was two hours of people doing nothing.

Then they shoved in a boss battle at the end with a rock golem, because ??? the film has no bad guy, so let's just introduce a one off metal machine with no explanation so we can fill our "CGI things blowing up" quota.

Also boy the CGI was fucking terrible. It was never good! It was always bad!

So, yeah. Thor was a really boring "action" movie about a super hero with no super powers except for the first and last 10 minutes. Who learns how to be human and love, as if we haven't seen that trope enough in cinema.

At the least I'm sure Whedon knows how to write a story, so Avengers will be alright even for a movie filled with characters I don't care about.

midonnay

got around to watching the doco "Bobby Fischer against the World" again the other night....

such an interesting wanker.... can't believe they haven't made a proper movie about him yet (yeah yeah the "Searching" one but they wasn't really about him)

Stackboy

She was wearing the preorder costume for the game, so he will have the pink jumpsuit. Also the standard cheerleader outfit is pretty hot as is. Also the game looks like a hell of a lot of fun so nice to see some people trying to drum up sales for it!

My bad.

I didn't really enjoy The Avengers. First half lags, there's no smart Joss Whedon writing and I think I've just OD'd on superhero movies.

Yagharek

EA just keep going from strength to strength.

First they say theyll disable rock band ios purchases from working at the end of May.
They put up an FAQ outlining all their bullshit.
Now they say it was an accident and completely unintentional.

EA are lying thieves.

hamchan

Outside of the X Men univsere, Marvel have the worst super heroes (More like ZEROES) ever.

Outside of Batman and Superman, the DC heroes are awful, much worse than the Marvel side. They are all really forgettable. Even if we say the X-Men universe is the only worthwhile thing in Marvel (it isn't), then even that alone has more good heroes than the entirety of the DC universe.

Plus the stories seem rather terrible to me. I'm quite a huge fan of Batman and read a lot of the classics like the Killing Joke and Year One; they were all amazing. Then I tried to read the more modern stuff like Batman RIP and then Final Crisis and it was the most incomprehensible comics I have ever read. I really really hate DC now, it's so bad.

Marvel are killing them quality wise in both films and comics.

Choc

Banned
Optus and Vodafone to build 4G together

Telstra’s biggest rivals, Optus and Vodafone Hutchison Australia, have signed a deal to share and build critical infrastructure to boost coverage and bolster their networks for the launch of superfast mobile services.e

WTF

Yagharek

http://bitmob.com/articles/the-industrys-war-against-consumer-rights

I like this article. Brief quote:

The industry feels contempt for the average consumer. And why not?

We like buying used. We prefer to own what we purchase. Worst of all, we don't feel obligated to support the industry. And this drives them batty.

The industry has declared war on consumer rights. Their missiles -- always-on DRM, online passes, digital distribution -- run the gamut. But the intent is the same: to kill the secondary market, destroy the notion of ownership, and control all means of distribution.

Salazar

They frequently do.

Not frequently enough for

e-books cost as much as, or more than, their physical brethren

to be a more accurate sentence than

e-books can or frequently cost as much as, or more than, their physical brethren

Because the reality is that e-books are still relatively cheap.

hamchan

e-books can or frequently cost as much as, or more than, their physical brethren

The price of e-books shouldn't even be nearing the price of physical books really.

Yagharek

I played Dragons Dogma demo today. It has a little bit of SoTC about it. Nothing like grabbing a griffin by the feathers and being dragged up into the air whilst stabbing it.

Only problem is doing so makes it impossible to see where your character is.

edit: although having beaten Ganon last night, I think both those battles outdo DD somewhat comprehensively.

midonnay

they are competitors?

it does make some level of sense but it still shows just how much of a juggernaut Telstra is for them now

It makes sense to share as it is wasteful to duplicate towers.

Telstra shares infrastructure with vodaphone too iirc (3g)

the mobile space is pretty much an oligopoly anyways so there is limited scope to destroy competitors out of the market.

Jintor

Outside of Batman and Superman, the DC heroes are awful, much worse than the Marvel side. They are all really forgettable. Even if we say the X-Men universe is the only worthwhile thing in Marvel (it isn't), then even that alone has more good heroes than the entirety of the DC universe.

Plus the stories seem rather terrible to me. I'm quite a huge fan of Batman and read a lot of the classics like the Killing Joke and Year One; they were all amazing. Then I tried to read the more modern stuff like Batman RIP and then Final Crisis and it was the most incomprehensible comics I have ever read. I really really hate DC now, it's so bad.

Marvel are killing them quality wise in both films and comics.

The Bat family actually has pretty good heroes - Nightwing, all the Batgirls, etc. Not a fan of Batman inc though tbh. The JLU roster is fucking great though, I think the DCU just meshes better than the Marvelverse. Justice League Unlimited was by far the greatest vision of the DCAU as a glorious whole, with the exception of the lack of existence of Cass and Steph and a few dozen other things.

Basically what I'm saying is that Blue Beetle is fucking awesome

Choc

Banned
It makes sense to share as it is wasteful to duplicate towers.

Telstra shares infrastructure with vodaphone too iirc (3g)

the mobile space is pretty much an oligopoly anyways so there is limited scope to destroy competitors out of the market.

not any more

that ended Jan 1

legend166

So it's taken me about a year to get through 60% of Stalingrad by Antony Beevor. But it's amazing. Seriously, if you have any interest in WWII history, you should read it. I know people complain a lot that the Eastern Front doesn't get enough attention in the West, but I can sorta understand why (although not from an academic standpoint).

I know it's very simplistic, but WWII was good vs evil. Except the Eastern Front wasn't. It was evil vs slighty-less-evil-but-only-because-they-weren't-the-ones-to-invade-first-but-still-pretty-evil. The complete disregard for human life at pretty much every level on both sides is astounding.

One interesting story - when things look at their worst for the Russians, around September/October 1942, a Russian solder decided he would defect. So he's in Stalingrad, and the front line is blurry and territory is changing hands all the time, etc. So he crawls out into no mans land to find some Germans. He crawls around for awhile, and finds himself in a bunker. With Russians. Except this guy thinks that they are Germans dressed up as Russians to confuse the enemy. So he surrenders to his own side.

They shot him.

I've updated my video game conferences Google Calendar for anyone to subscribe to (in any software supporting ICS, which should include Google, Apple, Microsoft users) using this link: https://www.google.com/calendar/ical/814mh10crp5ir9o56uqeru2s2c%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics
It contains the dates/times of press conferences with proper timezones so it'll appear in the right place on your calendar, as well as the addresses of the events. I'll update it with any known official streams once they become known if I get time.

You can also see it here (it's set to EST as the timezone in this link): https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=814mh10crp5ir9o56uqeru2s2c%40group.calendar.google.com&dates=20120604%2F20120604&mode=WEEK&ctz=Australia/Sydney

Or search for the 'video game conferences' public calendar in Google Calendar if you use that.

3KvR2.jpg

markot

Banned
Speaking of e-Books, it's taken me about a year to get through 60% of Stalingrad by Antony Beevor. But it's amazing. Seriously, if you have any interest in WWII history, you should read it. I know people complain a lot that the Eastern Front doesn't get enough attention in the West, but I can sorta understand why (although not from an academic standpoint).

I know it's very simplistic, but WWII was good vs evil. Except the Eastern Front wasn't. It was evil vs slighty-less-evil-but-only-because-they-weren't-the-ones-to-invade-first-but-still-pretty-evil. The complete disregard for human life at pretty much every level on both sides is astounding.

One interesting story - when things look at their worst for the Russians, around September/October 1942, a Russian solder decided he would defect. So he's in Stalingrad, and the front line is blurry and territory is changing hands all the time, etc. So he crawls out into no mans land to find some Germans. He crawls around for awhile, and finds himself in a bunker. With Russians. Except this guy thinks that they are Germans dressed up as Russians to confuse the enemy. So he surrenders to his own side.

They shot him.

He was better off dead than captured by the Germans >.<

HOLY FUCKBALLS PSN+ THIS MONTH IS MANANABANANANS

My cart was full of like $200 worth of shit that was free. Insanity.
Includes free Max Payne PS2 classic and Awesomnauts, both of which just released.

The Pirate Bay being banned in the UK gave it such great advertising that yesterday it had 12 million more hits than EVER before in the history of the site. Seriously. They just turned on millions and millions of people to the site that didn't even know about it. At which point they were then given instructions on how to get around the proposed block. lol

Totally wishing I had lashed out on the ultra edition of TGWTDT vinyl release by our lord of aural joys.

Also! That new Dead Letter Circus single, Wake Up, is free for download. Decent quality mp3 too which is nice, intially I thought it was going to be wma which turned out to be a trick thankfully. Pretty damn good when I can hear it properly!

anyways reptilescorpia-Mirrors Edge was shit
i finally get to discuss this game with someone.
Well come on and discuss it! What didn't you like, what was your experience like?

One of my favourite experiences of last gen or whatever. But, indeed, pity about the fighting. Actually it wasn't that bad in and of itself but it detracted so badly from the Parkour.
Why do you consider it last gen?

I am going to see Avengers tonight. Should I see Captain America before going? I already have it ready to watch, but after Thor I'm wondering if anything except for the Iron Man films were any good.
I thought Thor and Captain America were pretty mediocre, not bad but nothing amazing. Also I hate hate hate Jeremy Renner for some unknown reason. Just want to punch him right in his stupid looking, crappy acting face. They should have gotten the archer dude from Smallville.

Looks like he just took a pot shot without even thinking it would go in.

Iron Man > Incredible Hulk > Iron Man 2 > Thor > Captain America
For me, really loved the Norton Hulk.

Thor was absolute rubbish. Natalie Portman was, as always, a terrible actor and made every scene she was in unwatchable.
Really? I actually think she is pretty good, not amazeballs but a solid actor. Does well in a wide range of genre roles and looks damn good.

I didn't really enjoy The Avengers. First half lags, there's no smart Joss Whedon writing and I think I've just OD'd on superhero movies.
Sounds from reviews that he is following his formula a little too closely. I am just hoping for a fun popcorn flick, which it delivers apparently.

I still love Angel even if his recent output has been tired.

Outside of the X Men univsere, Marvel have the worst super heroes (More like ZEROES) ever.
Outside of Batman I don't care much for the mainline DC stuff. Plus Deadpool is Marvel so null argument, hopefully they start treating him good again, it has been a rough decade for Deadpool quality releases.

Awesome article that hits the nail.

Most eBooks I look for tend to be around the same price as to import a book. I do recall the Steve Jobs eBook being awesomely cheap at release though!

legend166

He was better off dead than captured by the Germans >.<

Yeah I think he was for sure. The Germans barely fed their prisoners anyway, but after they got encircled by the Russians, they just let them starve to death pretty much.

Also, everyone had lice. Everyone. And it was -35 degrees. And they had to use a hacksaw to get meat off dead horses so they could eat. Toward the end the ration was a thin slice of stale bread per day. That's it.

Jintor

All that 'last gen' means to me is that it was released on a PS3/360 *shrug*

I don't really think of it as an exact term.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Dear my cousins ex-girlfriend telling him to go fuck 'some fat chick bitches' when you are quite fat yourself... Haha.

Still debating whether or not to post this log from her wall. Would require so much blocking of names.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
So it's come to this.

Kritz and or whoever owns the @AusGAF Twitter account, remove me from being posted in it or I won't post on AusGAF anymore.

That simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom