• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma |OT| Simultaneous worldwide release? What's that?

Heh, for the record, Roe, Tager can't escape Bang's astral when TK'd. So if I ever look like an asshole going for that like a maniac, that's why. You played a lot ballsier than usual today. It was hard to adapt to.

RoeBear

Heh, for the record, Roe, Tager can't escape Bang's astral when TK'd. So if I ever look like an asshole going for that like a maniac, that's why. You played a lot ballsier than usual today. It was hard to adapt to.
Yeah I knew about the Bang astral. I tried to play a bit more methodical, but screwed up a lot of stuff.

shaowebb

Finally got the PS3 unboxed and setup today after work. Played some BB CP and tried out some other cast. Amane Nishiki is really fun but oh man is he rough to use. Died a ton. I need to figure out some basics. Trinity is still a ton of fun though and so is Bullet so I know I'll keep hitting them up for practice. I get the feeling if I tried out Valkenhyn I'd have a lot of fun too. He looks to pressure so well.

Glad I got this set back up.

EDIT:Man is Amane just built for chip?

shaowebb

And several days later I am still looking at Amane confused. It seems like its all leaping away and poking and trying to chip by pinning folks with drills. He's pretty tough. Am I missing something?

Kikirin

Amane doesn't really get big damage without Lv3 drill unless the opponent messes up bad, i.e. getting hit by j.2B raw, counterhit by 6A, 6B, or 3C on the ground, or anti-aired by 5B, 6A, or C normals.

He can play a solid close range pressure game (albeit relatively lacking in mixups) as well as harass at longer distances - which you want to focus more on will depend on who you're up against. I've found that I spend more of my time doing those two things and focusing on a strong neutral rather than going for drill/chip.

Having a lot of fun messing around with Rachel at the moment. Her wind based pressure is probably the closest analog I've found to more Vs. style air dash pressure without any of the awkwardness from not having a ground based dash (looking at you Izayoi ... though I never found I-No to be anywhere near as awkward in comparison). Some of the weird properties that come from wind physics have been fun to explore as well, like jump -> j3D -> jB -> Double jump sending you full screen and allowing you to setup a bunch of totems and frog while blasting away from the opponent. I have a feeling that that was probably added to keep her from having her mixup game be TOO potent at close range as multiple wind stocks would kinda make her hilariously good if you could chain a double jump into more up close pressure. Her reversal options don't seem too stellar but 6A is amaaaazing as an antiair.

Time to watch more of N-O's Rachel from EVO2014 ...

Rhapsody

Banned
Having a lot of fun messing around with Rachel at the moment. Her wind based pressure is probably the closest analog I've found to more Vs. style air dash pressure without any of the awkwardness from not having a ground based dash (looking at you Izayoi ... though I never found I-No to be anywhere near as awkward in comparison). Some of the weird properties that come from wind physics have been fun to explore as well, like jump -> j3D -> jB -> Double jump sending you full screen and allowing you to setup a bunch of totems and frog while blasting away from the opponent. I have a feeling that that was probably added to keep her from having her mixup game be TOO potent at close range as multiple wind stocks would kinda make her hilariously good if you could chain a double jump into more up close pressure. Her reversal options don't seem too stellar but 6A is amaaaazing as an antiair.

Time to watch more of N-O's Rachel from EVO2014 ...
Go to the Rachel forums on Dustloop. They have an archive of a lot of Rachel matches categorized by matchups and players. N-O didn't showcase a lot of good stuff at Evo and rarely (if even) got on stream outside of losing those top 8s.

Rachel's a really fun character that lets you freestyle quite a bit on how you play her. She's the most fun for me because of her options.

GGs last night Solar. Playing you has seriously improved my ability to deal with grabs and all variety of overhead shenanigans. I went into training mode a bit after we played and practiced what Tager could do against a lot of different Bang blockstrings. I'm not sure why I'm learning IB setups when I only play online but it makes me feel good that some of these things I can definitely punish. Was glad I was able to experiment with Rachel as well.

sorry disco

i guess my internet is officially unplayable for this game

I wouldn't count it out, we're facing thunderstorms where I live and god knows how that ultimately effected things. GGs in any case, we'll try again some other time.

ggs disco

if we did more sessions like that, i'd probably end up practicing this game a bit

i don't know why you were messin around with rachel in the middle though >_>

ggs disco

if we did more sessions like that, i'd probably end up practicing this game a bit

i don't know why you were messin around with rachel in the middle though >_>

I was sort of curious about how I could do with her against someone who had a real firm grasp on the game and their character, and for me at least it highlighted a lot of what I still need to work on with her. In my case its definitely wind management and setting up her zoning game because oh my god I have no idea how Rachel deals with other characters that can zone. Platinum can put out so much stuff on the screen if you let her ahhh x.x.

I have no idea how I'd deal with your Platinum if I didn't have Sledge. Seriously you don't appreciate how much it changes the matchup until you try to use a character that can't just ignore bubble block strings and tear through everything thats thrown at him. Definitely enjoyed those games in any case but the road to finding a secondary that i feel comfortable with is gonna be a long one, haha. Hit me up whenever I'm online and I'll definitely join up and run some matches.

Rhapsody

Banned
I was sort of curious about how I could do with her against someone who had a real firm grasp on the game and their character, and for me at least it highlighted a lot of what I still need to work on with her. In my case its definitely wind management and setting up her zoning game because oh my god I have no idea how Rachel deals with other characters that can zone. Platinum can put out so much stuff on the screen if you let her ahhh x.x.

I have no idea how I'd deal with your Platinum if I didn't have Sledge. Seriously you don't appreciate how much it changes the matchup until you try to use a character that can't just ignore bubble block strings and tear through everything thats thrown at him. Definitely enjoyed those games in any case but the road to finding a secondary that i feel comfortable with is gonna be a long one, haha. Hit me up whenever I'm online and I'll definitely join up and run some matches.

Concerning wind, most important thing is knowing which combos to do. You should be regaining all your wind after corner combos. Currently, how are you using your wind in neutral and in combos? The goal with Rachel is to get them into the corner as soon as possible and let them stay there. Any wind in neutral will be either to manipulate lobelias or use a pumpkin to get in.

Concerning wind, most important thing is knowing which combos to do. You should be regaining all your wind after corner combos. Currently, how are you using your wind in neutral and in combos? The goal with Rachel is to get them into the corner as soon as possible and let them stay there. Any wind in neutral will be either to manipulate lobelias or use a pumpkin to get in.

Well I definitely haven't been putting them in the corner! My main wind usage up until this point has been using a horribly inefficient 2 wind combo midscreen, going for instant overheads into said horribly inefficient 2 wind combo, and setting up fullscreen Lobelia's (because I completely forgot that jA Lobelia also went nearly full screen for free).

So there's the majority of it right there.

Back to watching more N-O I suppose, haha.

Rhapsody

Banned
Well I definitely haven't been putting them in the corner! My main wind usage up until this point has been using a horribly inefficient 2 wind combo midscreen, going for instant overheads into said horribly inefficient 2 wind combo, and setting up fullscreen Lobelia's (because I completely forgot that jA Lobelia also went nearly full screen for free).

For midscreen standing opponents and 2B starter, try something like

2B > 5B > 3D > j.B > j.C > 5B > 3D > j.B > j.C into whatever and end with 5CC and such.

Good corner carry and works well. Doing 6C combos with wind helps corner carry as well. Important wind usage in neutral for me would be j.236A j.D (just before landing) and then IAD and do j.214C. This is good if they're full screen and you just want to rush in. Especially good if they were full screen next to the corner since you can easily start pressure. Another good tool I use for wind is 236A 8D. Kinda buys you time for a frog or to do j.236A after.

When you're up close and wanting to open them up midscreen, you'll definitely use at least one wind stock like you're currently doing. Your follow up obviously depends on what starter landed on them. If I did a weak starter, I'll usually go for a 5CC for real estate. Then do frog/pumpkin and j236A or something. Suppose you opened them up with j.A, you shouldn't be using any wind for that combo generally. 6C wind might work on weak starters, but I can't remember.

If you ever want to play me, my PSN is Rhapzody_ and it might help give you a better idea.

What's the "inefficient 2 wind combo" you're talking about? For all we know, it might be a standard combo. One of them is the 5B, 5CD, 3C, 8D, 6A, 4B, (microdash), 5CC.

I'd recommend watching other Rachel players too... not just N-O. They may not be as good, but they do play her slightly differently.

Rhapsody

Banned
What's the "inefficient 2 wind combo" you're talking about? For all we know, it might be a standard combo. One of them is the 5B, 5CD, 3C, 8D, 6A, 4B, (microdash), 5CC.

I'd recommend watching other Rachel players too... not just N-O. They may not be as good, but they do play her slightly differently.

Even that's inefficient and a waste of wind though. Doesn't do that much damage or corner carry. Plus you're left with 1 stock of wind left or so, and that's not really enough to continue pressure properly.

I've seen some Rachels do that, and it's not recommended. If a Rachel landed an N starter, their combo should be something like

j.B > 5BD > 6A > 5B > 6A > 236A > 3C > 214C > 6A > 4B > 5CC

Wind during 5CC is optional. Makes the link easier and does even more corner carry. This combo is good since you should have regained all of your wind, does good corner carry, and good damage. As a Rachel player, it's recommended to get these down, especially since these are needed for combos that were anti air or air to air starter.

Even that's inefficient and a waste of wind though. Doesn't do that much damage or corner carry. Plus you're left with 1 stock of wind left or so, and that's not really enough to continue pressure properly.

I've seen some Rachels do that, and it's not recommended. If a Rachel landed an N starter, their combo should be something like

j.B > 5BD > 6A > 5B > 6A > 236A > 3C > 214C > 6A > 4B > 5CC

Wind during 5CC is optional. Makes the link easier and does even more corner carry. This combo is good since you should have regained all of your wind, does good corner carry, and good damage. As a Rachel player, it's recommended to get these down, especially since these are needed for combos that were anti air or air to air starter.

Yup, I totally agree with you. I switched mains before learning this combo, but I forgot that 5D allows 6A to airborne grounded opponents.

Yeah the wind combo that I was doing at the time was something like

5A 5B 3CD 8D 5B jB jC jB jC j.236A

So it didn't end in the 5CC sliding knockdown and there wasn't much room for setting up the lightning rods or pumpkin if my opponent chose to tech forward. The damage was sub 2k as well so I don't think I was wrong in saying it was a horribly inefficient 2 wind combo, haha. Thanks for the combo tips guys, Im trying to learn the one with the 236A -> 3C -> 214C route now.

Rhapsody

Banned
Yeah the wind combo that I was doing at the time was something like

5A 5B 3CD 8D 5B jB jC jB jC j.236A

So it didn't end in the 5CC sliding knockdown and there wasn't much room for setting up the lightning rods or pumpkin if my opponent chose to tech forward. The damage was sub 2k as well so I don't think I was wrong in saying it was a horribly inefficient 2 wind combo, haha. Thanks for the combo tips guys, Im trying to learn the one with the 236A -> 3C -> 214C route now.

Yeah, never end with j.236A if you can help it. This also goes for air confirms.

It takes time getting used to but it becomes natural later and quite fun.
What's considered the ideal use of Tsubaki's charges? I finally get that it probably isn't book car. :p

22D, j.214D, and 236D (if you absolutely need to side swap).

22D in combos does wallbounce iirc. So there's still some use.

Edit: GGs Disco. I got to go, but we should definitely play some more. While I've been having fun with UNI, I forgot how much I enjoyed this game.

GGs for sure. there was some weird delay in the matches I was having with the second guy but other than that I thoroughly enjoyed the matches ... and I have no idea how to get out of the corner once Rachel puts you in there! :D

Rhapsody

Banned
GGs for sure. there was some weird delay in the matches I was having with the second guy but other than that I thoroughly enjoyed the matches ... and I have no idea how to get out of the corner once Rachel puts you in there! :D

If Rachel plays it right, it's kinda hopeless for Tager, haha. j.A being an instant overhead when you're crouching makes things super hard, especially since she doesn't need wind to do it. Regardless, she's so fun. One of the few characters that lets me switch styles on the fly.

Would've also used more Platinum earlier, but I wasn't feeling confident. She's one of my best characters, but it's been awhile.

Rutger

Banned

Yeah, the delay was unfortunate, it's hard to play Tao like that, but GGs.

It's been a while since I last played BB, it was fun to play again.

So I know UNIEL and P4AU are the new hotness these days, but I got a tournament coming up this Saturday and I need to get back in the swing of things with BBCP. So if anyone is down to play a set tonight or in the next few days hit me up.

Essay

So I know UNIEL and P4AU are the new hotness these days, but I got a tournament coming up this Saturday and I need to get back in the swing of things with BBCP. So if anyone is down to play a set tonight or in the next few days hit me up.

Judging by your location, Rumble in the Tundra? I'll shoot you an add to make up for the fact I'm working that weekend and can't make the trip down to your city. I'm pretty distracted by that UNIEL hotness though, so expect some mad rust.

ggs Essay. My stick is starting to have problems reading 7 and 9 directions, which is messing up my air movement hardcore. I'm going to have to borrow one before Saturday.

Essay

GG's YT. I'm down for more anytime you see me online. Also, I gotta look into this whole sending messages "from a device other than a PS3" as well....

GG's YT. I'm down for more anytime you see me online. Also, I gotta look into this whole sending messages "from a device other than a PS3" as well....

Heh, I'm just using the Playstation app on my phone. I wouldn't be caught dead trying to write messages with an arcade stick.

So I started playing Chronophantasma online. Why is everyone online linking stupidly complex combos and chaining into distortions and astrals? Is the player base this high of a skill level? My win ratio is something pathetic like 10-15% with a couple of people point farming me. =s

I've played maybe three games with people of my skill level, so where is everyone else?

Anne

So I started playing Chronophantasma online. Why is everyone online linking stupidly complex combos and chaining into distortions and astrals? Is the player base this high of a skill level? My win ratio is something pathetic like 10-15% with a couple of people point farming me. =s

I've played maybe three games with people of my skill level, so where is everyone else?

A lot of players online know how to do combos at this point. This is fighting games months after they've been out online.

A lot of players online know how to do combos at this point. This is fighting games months after they've been out online.

I have no problem jumping into other fighting games. I struggle even setting up simple combos - I've been using Platinum for some ridiculous reason - I guess I like her randomness [has nothing to do with my name, I've been using this since the late 90s maybe]. Maybe I should choose someone easier if this is the case. =s

kirbster

If Rachel plays it right, it's kinda hopeless for Tager, haha. j.A being an instant overhead when you're crouching makes things super hard, especially since she doesn't need wind to do it. Regardless, she's so fun. One of the few characters that lets me switch styles on the fly.

On Tager, even j.b works as an instant overhead, which makes it even more hopeless for him :)

Anne

I have no problem jumping into other fighting games. I struggle even setting up simple combos - I've been using Platinum for some ridiculous reason - I guess I like her randomness [has nothing to do with my name, I've been using this since the late 90s maybe]. Maybe I should choose someone easier if this is the case. =s

the combos really aren't that complicated, they just seem that way at first. Just gotta learn em.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Some players have played since CS and really know their matchups. Month 1 of this game was ridiculously fun for me. Now I can't go back knowing that my Azrael would be crushed online. :(

I just noticed: aren't you one of the mods at Dustloop, Anne?

Top Bottom