• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Twelve: Why bother? Just give tOSU the trophy.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
What a shit game that was. Played like shit and got 2/5 of our starting offensive line hurt in 1 series.

tebunker

Banned
Makes you wonder how good Bama actually is, when their best win was technically week 1, against a team that was nowhere near as good then as they are now. I think the better defenses in the playoff are going to be a big problem for Bama's offense. Especially if they play as bad as they did tonight.

Please name these better defenses that may exist in the playoffs? Cause I haven't seen one yet.

None of the other playoff teams play great D top to bottom.

I agree that the SEC looks down this year, cause it is. A lot of that has to do with teams getting banged up but overall it just happens with attrition in general. People said a lot of the same things the last few years too...

I still will take this Alabama D, missing Eddie Jackson no less, over any other D in CFB.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Please name these better defenses that may exist in the playoffs? Cause I haven't seen one yet.

I agree that the SEC looks down this year, cause it is. A lot of that has to do with teams getting banged up but overall it just happens with attrition in general. People said a lot of the same things the last few years too...

I still will take this Alabama D, missing Eddie Jackson no less, over any other D in CFB.

Better defenses than the SEC competition Bama has faced? I'd take ANY of the top teams over them, aside from maaaybe LSU.

tebunker

Banned
Better defenses than the SEC competition Bama has faced? I'd take ANY of the top teams over them, aside from maaaybe LSU.

Nah dude, I get you there, but that doesn't make any of those Ds actually good. It's hard for us to obviously get and apples to apples comparison, but Bama woulda done fine in any other league too.

andycapps

SEC west: not actually that much better than the east. Last couple weeks have shown us the truth.
True. Though every conference is like this. One or two good teams and a bunch of very average or worse teams.

If Vandy beats Tennessee next week they'll have 6 wins and be bowl eligible. They should be now even at 5 wins because of high APR scores. But if Miss State beats Ole Miss next week then Ole Miss won't be bowl eligible and the East will have 6 bowl eligible teams and the West 5.

:jnc

K.Sabot

sending all my power to UCLA

they were my team before I moved out of central Cal to Oklahoma.

just so happens that ucla beating USC also helps OU by making Washington's loss that much worse.

go bruins!

FEI defensive ratings (coming into this week)

#1 Alabama
#2 Wisconsin
#4 Ohio State
#5 Michigan
#6 Colorado
#8 Louisville
#10 Washington
#11 Clemson

FEI defensive ratings of teams Alabama has played or will play
#25 USC
#52 Western Kentucky
#71 Mississippi
#35 Kent State
#97 Kentucky
#61 Arkansas
#44 Tennessee
#48 Texas A&M
#3 LSU
#86 Mississippi State
UNR UTC
#13 Auburn
#7 Florida

S&P defensive ratings (coming into this week)
#1 Michigan
#2 Alabama
#3 Wisconsin
#6 Ohio State
#7 Clemson
#8 Louisville
#9 Colorado
#13 Washington

S&P defensive ratings of teams Alabama has played or will play
#16 USC
#36 Western Kentucky
#58 Ole Miss
#44 Kent State
#86 Kentucky
#57 Arkansas
#39 Tennessee
#34 aTm
#5 LSU
#68 Mississippi State
UNR UTC
#10 Auburn
#7 Florida

Let's not act like Alabama has faced a lot of good defense this year. They do face two more in Auburn and Florida, but of those two teams Auburn is the only one with any semblance of an offense.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
True. Though every conference is like this. One or two good teams and a bunch of very average or worse teams. *

If Vandy beats Tennessee next week they'll have 6 wins and be bowl eligible. They should be now even at 5 wins because of high APR scores. But if Miss State beats Ole Miss next week then Ole Miss won't be bowl eligible and the East will have 6 bowl eligible teams and the West 5.

:jnc

*Excluding B1G.

andycapps

*Excluding B1G.
Honestly I'm not sure if there are any great B1G teams. There may be a few good teams at the top, and obviously a bunch of trash under that.

I wish Threeballz was around to do some logic on transitive properties of Vandy beating Ole Miss and what it means for Bama.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Honestly I'm not sure if there are any great B1G teams. There may be a few good teams at the top, and obviously a bunch of trash under that.

Great is a fluid term. Even though Bama played Chattanooga soft, I think they are.

I would lump OSU, Michigan, and WIsconsin in there on a given day, pitting them in a near 50/50 chance against the field on any given Saturday. And counting out PedoSt and Nebraska seems foolhardy, even for all their problems, they are both playing largely solid ball.

Gorillaz

So the rivalry game with OSU and "them"

that result will pretty much provide fuckery for the entire playoff setup regardless what happens correct?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
So the rivalry game with OSU and "them"

that result will pretty much provide fuckery for the entire playoff setup regardless what happens correct?

No, not regardless. If Michigan wins, they are on to the B1G championship and if they win there, to the CFP. If OSU wins, there is definite fuckery.

Kyle Bonagura ‏@BonaguraESPN 5m5 minutes ago
The most yards UCLA has allowed in a game Jim Mora’s tenure is 626. USC is 245 from that with 9:45 left in the third.

Could be worth tracking.

Ryan Rosenblatt
‏@RyanRosenblatt
The UCLA band's halftime show for the LA city showdown is a tribute to New York "the greatest city in the world." This isn't a joke.

I know USC fans joke about UCLA's inferiority complex but this is a bit much.

We we're fucked when our decent players left for the NFL. Btw Perkins is near starting status for the Giants.
E: Question, is anyone else having problem with desktop?

Ourobolus

Banned
Welp.

This is difficult to say. Bear with me.

Next week

GO BUCKEYES

Michaelscottfacepalm1.gif

It was hard to watch him cry on the sideline and although his 2 fumbles definitely hurt us, if you have 2 bad plays against Kansas, you shouldn't still lose to Kansas. Everyone on the roster played like crap and actually, even with the 2 fumbles, D'Onta was one of the best players on the team today. And at least we know he cares.

It was hard to watch him cry on the sideline and although his 2 fumbles definitely hurt us, if you have 2 bad plays against Kansas, you shouldn't still lose to Kansas. Everyone on the roster played like crap and actually, even with the 2 fumbles, D'Onta was one of the best players on the team today. And at least we know he cares.

He should call up the WVU running back.

jjasper

I get that hiring a coach is kind of a crap shoot and just cause someone is successful somewhere it doesn't mean they will be good at the new place. But I do think it says something about our outgoing AD when his first choice for the job was Charlie Strong and the second was Butch Jones.

Speaking of Butch Jones dude just had a Sugar Bowl bid fall into his lap yesterday and all he has to do is beat Vandy to get there......You just know Tennessee is gonna lose on Saturday now.

Nice try on the jinx. Both our offenses struggle against solid defenses so I'd bet this will be a low scoring game. I'd be surprised if either team scores over 17 points.

Michigan has not looked good against the read option when teams have used it (limited sample). Without Speight the offense will be one-dimensional. Not going to pitch a shutout and not going to score enough to make up for it. I know what's coming and don't expect a W. This was the best chance for a W in a while until Speight went down. Next year will be a young team so that will be tough (even if it's at home). 1-11 over the last 12 isn't exactly putting a jinx on you guys...

jfkgoblue

Michigan has not looked good against the read option when teams have used it (limited sample). Without Speight the offense will be one-dimensional. Not going to pitch a shutout and not going to score enough to make up for it. I know what's coming and don't expect a W. This was the best chance for a W in a while until Speight went down. Next year will be a young team so that will be tough (even if it's at home). 1-11 over the last 12 isn't exactly putting a jinx on you guys...

Wilton may be back, apparently he could have went vs Indiana, but Harbaugh decided it wasn't worth it.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
1. Alabama (44)
2. OSU (19)
3. Clemson
4. Michigan
5. Washington
6. Wisconsin
7. Oklahoma
8. Penn State
9. Colorado
10. OK State
11. Louisville
12. USC
13. Florida
14. FSU
15. Nebraska
16. Auburn
17. West Virginia
18. Western Michigan
19. Boise State
20. Utah
21. Houston
22. Texas A&M
23. Washington State
24. Tennessee
25. UNC

Schools Dropped Out
No. 14 LSU, No. 25 San Diego State.

1. Alabama (44)
2. OSU (19)
3. Clemson
4. Michigan
5. Washington
6. Wisconsin
7. Oklahoma
8. Penn State
9. Colorado
10. OK State
11. Louisville
12. USC
13. Florida
14. FSU
15. Nebraska
16. Auburn
17. West Virginia
18. Western Michigan
19. Boise State
20. Utah
21. Houston
22. Texas A&M
23. Washington State
24. Tennessee
25. UNC

Schools Dropped Out
No. 14 LSU, No. 25 San Diego State.

I love OSU but they should have exactly 0 first place votes.....

Top Bottom