• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Twelve: Why bother? Just give tOSU the trophy.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Problem with CFB in general this year is there are no great teams.

Winston FSU, Newton Burn, Tebow Gata, Bama 11/12 ect... CFB doesn't have this year.

Even the top teams like Clemson, Bama, and OSU were better in past few years than this year.

It's a down year for CFB as a whole.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Mabye Charlie Strong can go back to being a DC somewhere. Hopefully we have an opening soon. That Pitt game was really bad, I expected that from Louisville or UNC.

One game left, and this season is over.

bachikarn

I get that hiring a coach is kind of a crap shoot and just cause someone is successful somewhere it doesn't mean they will be good at the new place. But I do think it says something about our outgoing AD when his first choice for the job was Charlie Strong and the second was Butch Jones.

Speaking of Butch Jones dude just had a Sugar Bowl bid fall into his lap yesterday and all he has to do is beat Vandy to get there......You just know Tennessee is gonna lose on Saturday now.

Don't think it is a given. If UF beats FSU, and keeps it close against Bama, not sure why they wouldn't go.

It's hard to figure out how Charlie was able to fail at Texas. His competition in the current shitty big 12 wasn't much tougher than the competition his Louisville teams faced, and Texas has a shit ton more resources for a coach than Louisville. He couldn't manage a winning record at Texas while his Louisville teams won 10+ games a couple times and were very successful. Bring on Herman I guess

My alma mater has jokes.

Lh9DxMt.jpg

XdfOY94.jpg

They don't play football.

andycapps

They have a decent defense. Not unlike LSU.
Their defense is good. The offense is cobbled together. McElwain is doing well with what he's got, but he doesn't have much right now. I just don't see them scoring much. If he had a lot of time to prep for a game or get players healthy I'd give them a better shot.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Their defense is good. The offense is cobbled together. McElwain is doing well with what he's got, but he doesn't have much right now. I just don't see them scoring much. If he had a lot of time to prep for a game or get players healthy I'd give them a better shot.
If your defense is *good* you don't have to score *much*. The Bama-LSU was a 10-0 game.

cashman

Banned
It's hard to figure out how Charlie was able to fail at Texas. His competition in the current shitty big 12 wasn't much tougher than the competition his Louisville teams faced, and Texas has a shit ton more resources for a coach than Louisville. He couldn't manage a winning record at Texas while his Louisville teams won 10+ games a couple times and were very successful. Bring on Herman I guess

It's not really a mystery

wdHbggi.png

That lone senior starter on the defense is a walk on.

bachikarn

Never could find a good QB? At Louisville, he had Bridgewater.

It's not really a mystery

That lone senior starter on the defense is a walk on.

Yes, we're a young team, but even a young team at Texas shouldn't go 5-6 and lose to Kansas. And Charlies first two teams at Texas, who were also labeled as "young" went 6-7 and 5-7 respectively. At some point, being young can't be an excuse anymore even if it is true. Furthermore, there are plenty of upperclassmen on the roster, many of which Charlie recruited, and he is choosing to play the underclassmen. In a way, that's being a young team by choice.

Like the poster above me mentioned, he did have Teddy at Louisville, and an allstar QB can mask coaching deficiencies. Mack Brown won a Championship with Vince Young at QB, but when you have a QB like that playing for you, even some coaching scrub like Tommy Tubberville could have won a championship with him.

Despite all that, I think Charlie could have succeeded at Texas if he got on the right foot by hiring competent coordinators from the get go.

cashman

Banned
Never could find a good QB? At Louisville, he had Bridgewater.
Well the QB he found is a true freshman and is still a little undersized.

Yes, we're a young team, but even a young team at Texas shouldn't go 5-6 and lose to Kansas. And Charlies first two teams at Texas, who were also labeled as "young" went 6-7 and 5-7 respectively. At some point, being young can't be an excuse anymore even if it is true. Furthermore, there are plenty of upperclassmen on the roster, many of which Charlie recruited, and he is choosing to play the underclassmen. In a way, that's being a young team by choice.

Like the poster above me mentioned, he did have Teddy at Louisville, and an allstar QB can mask coaching deficiencies. Mack Brown won a Championship with Vince Young at QB, but when you have a QB like that playing for you, even some coaching scrub like Tommy Tubberville could have won a championship with him.

Despite all that, I think Charlie could have succeeded at Texas if he got on the right foot by hiring competent coordinators from the get go.

There's no downplaying a loss to Kansas, and I think there was really no excuse for him to win less than 8 games, but you also can't downplay how shitty the roster situation was. The team wasn't that young in 2014, the defense had 4 NFL draft picks, but then you lose Ash at QB and the starting center goes down so the offense is basically dead in the water out of the gate. He put himself in this situation becuase he kicked out a lot of players who were thought to be future contributors and depth because they were knuckleheads. He tried building his roster from the ground up and in the end he couldn't build it in time.

btw here is the roster table for this year. 26/84 players as upperclassmen doesn't sound like plenty to me, and the only guys that look like they are going to the next level are Foreman and maaaybe Perkins and Ford.

http://insidetexas.com/football/football.php?pg=fb_roster

But still... he lost to Kansas. There's no excuse for that.

tebunker

Banned
UF kept it close for most of the SEC CG last year.

Right and that defense was markedly better than this years. Doesn't mean this years is bad, just that last year was definitely playing on a higher level most of the season.

Thing is, for all its struggles Alabama's Offense is better than last years and the D is definitely better as well.

I am just not sure that UF can score.

But I am not worried about the seccg, it's time to destroy the gus bus, hate week, make sure little brother knows who they are etc etc. in other words it's just another Saturday for Alabama but it's the end for Awwwwwbarn.

jjasper

I mean the entire SEC outside of Bama sucks so pretty much every game this year for them has been lock of the week status.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Alabama is going to be a beat up team going into the playoffs. Sooner or later (if not already) Jalen Hurts is going to get hit one time too many.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I see what you're doing here, building UF up. Don't worry, the SECCG is a lock for Bama.
Not building them up; I'm being critical of our offense's ability to move the ball against good defenses.

Also, looks like Bama is starting 2019 with a loss.

Lunar15

Can't really say how great Bama is this year compared to previous years, but I do know that they can simply outlast us. We're injured, shitty, and depleted. Even if Bama doesn't do well against us, they've got the depth to crush us late.

jjasper

Is Florida's defense that good though? The only two teams they have played with anything remotely resembling an offense moved the ball at will against them.

Lunar15

Is Florida's defense that good though? The only two teams they have played with anything remotely resembling an offense moved the ball at will against them.

It's overrated, yes, but it's still pretty good. It wasn't great yesterday, even though everyone is talking about the goal-line stops. Aside from those, LSU was gashing the defense pretty well. Maye's out for the season, Anzalone is out for the season, but even with both those guys, we got demolished by Tennessee in the second half.

Note, however, that our biggest defensive stumbles have come after the offense isn't able to produce. When our offense stalls like that, the defense is out on the field for a majority of the time. It's a great defense, but marred by a significantly terrible offense. If our offense was consistently scoring, everyone would have no issue with the defense letting a few touchdowns in. But when we score so little, EVERY defensive set of downs counts and any errors are glaring.

Herbie and Fowler are calling the OSU/UM game instead of the usual 8pm game.

Also the final 90 minutes of gameday will take place inside the stadium.

jjasper

Yeah but even so Flordia is still in the second best tier in the sec. Basically it is:

Not bad teams:
Bama

Kinda bad teams
Florida
Tennessee
Texas A&M ( although without knight probably more bad than this)
Auburn

Definitely bad teams:
LSU
Arkansas

Really Bad teams:
Georgia
Ole Miss
Vandy
State
Kentucky
South Carolina

Terrible team
Missouri

andycapps

Some might say its the..... lock of the week

Shh you're previewing the podcast for next week.

Not building them up; I'm being critical of our offense's ability to move the ball against good defenses.

Also, looks like Bama is starting 2019 with a loss.
Florida's defense can keep them in the game, I just don't see a loss for Bama until the playoffs at the earliest. Florida is just not on their talent level.

I saw that about your 2019 opponent. Thought it was a typo and it was referring to basketball.

Top Bottom