• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Eleven: Who Gives a Fuck? We Elected Our Hitler.

cdyhybrid

UW landed 4* CB Elijah Molden. Beat out Stanford for him.

His dad went to Oregon, but he's coming to UW. UW now has commitments from the top two prospects in the state of Oregon for this coming recruiting class. Have to think that's a troubling sign for Helfrich's job prospects, because it's only going to get worse.

Edit: Huskies in the top 6. Rest of the country loves USC so no surprise.

Michigan at 3 surprising me, not upset with the top 6 though

Also will have played 4 of the top 10 teams at season end if rankings hold

CU at number 10 probably won't last long but hey, they could always keep surprising us. Would be nice to have a local program do really well though, it's been quite awhile.

cdyhybrid

CU at number 10 probably won't last long but hey, they could always keep surprising us. Would be nice to have a local program do really well though, it's been quite awhile.

They have two huge games left. Wazzu and Utah are both ranked. If they win both of those and end up playing a 1-loss UW in the CCG that's arguably the biggest championship game in the country. B1G would probably be huge too but I have no idea who has to play who other than OSU-Michigan, so maybe some of them get knocked out?

Sorry for the double post, but I'll use this to say get fucked again big 10 homers, penn st moves up after barely beating Indiana...gotta make Ohio st loss look better

As a cards fan
Fuck off with this michigam kissing as they played like shit and lost both the game and their qb.
Fuck this this sucks.

True, but Ville's schedule was ass. Dont worry, when michigna loses by double digits to us it will all work itself out.

But precedent has been set! Lose a game as 21.5 point favorite and you wont move down.

Same thing with Jeff Long last year, they always just talk in circles. Bunch of bullshit how secretive it is, at least with the BCS we knew the formula and how terrible it was.
This is why I kinda wish we were back in that era, they basically created the "Alabama play in game" and now have zero accountability because it's ultra secret aka personal opinion and agenda

8 teams or bust, with 5 power conferences and the possibility of a couple other undefeated teams it's the only way a playoff makes any sense

True, but Ville's schedule was ass. Dont worry, when michigna loses by double digits to us it will all work itself out.

But precedent has been set! Lose a game as 21.5 point favorite and you wont move down.
Michigan got all their hard games at home and played Rutgers as their away game.
Their schedule was full of luck.
Also Clemson at death valley at prime time is hard as hell to win in.

It's applying what Johnny did to current Alabama. Seems thin.

Yeah it ignores the changes and adaptations Alabama has made on defense. People accuse Saban of being old school but they're constantly revamping their schemes on both sides of the ball.

Also I feel it's kinda wrong and possibly racist to refer to Hurts as a running back at QB.

We have a top 10 defense and offense(heisman frontrunner commitee) and yall not giving us respect.
We didnt lose to an unranked opponent we lost to Clemson at Death Valley by 6 due to James Quick not staying in bounds for crying out loud. Losing to a team you were favorited as a 21 point favorite and losing their starting qb leaves them at the same spot? The hell?

So here's whsts going to happen,

Scenario 1
Ohio st is going to destroy the wolverines, penn st wins big 10, bana, Ohio st, Clemson, penn st

Scenario deuce
Ohio st is going to again destroy the wolverines, Wisconsin wins big 10, bama, Ohio st, Clemson Wisconsin

Committee is probably trying to find a path to get a third big 10 or 2nd sec team into this scenario

It's going to happen, question is, will it be Michigan, penn st, or Wisconsin

Penn State would get embrassed Im sorry but Penn state just got lucky with an upset over OSU. Bama would win by more than they did against MSU last year.
Michigan same deal and they lost their qb hpw are they rank this high?
Wisconsin Ill give you them they look pretty good.

"Kirby Hocutt says the committee weighs a conf championship the same as SOS, head-to-head, and comparative outcomes against common opponents."

ooooo they setting us up! Let this be a lesson to all. Lose a game and you get a first round bye.

10-2 Florida vs. 12-0 Alabama in the SECCG

If Florida wins, I GUARANTEE you that both teams make the playoffs. Saban can protect his starters and play his third stringers knowing there's no way a 12-1 Alabama team gets left out.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
We're only two years into this thing, and there have really only been two consistent truths to these rankings.

(1) The previous polls don't mean shit when it comes to the final poll. In other words, the committee's polls do not have the same inherent inertia of the AP or coach's polls.

(2) The committee prefers conference champions over teams that didn't win their conference championships.

With that said, I think the final rankings would shake out to look like this (not necessarily in this order):

1. Alabama (if we win the SEC CG, regardless of the Iron Bowl outcome).
2. B1G champion with 2 or fewer losses (tOSU, UM, PSU, Wiscy).
3. 1 Loss ACC champion
4. 1 Loss PAC-12 champion.

If some of those scenarios don't work out, then:

1. 2 Loss Oklahoma (assuming undisputed B12 champ)
2. 1 Loss tOSU
3. 1 Loss Louisville.

We're only two years into this thing, and there have really only been two consistent truths to these rankings.

(1) The previous polls don't mean shit when it comes to the final poll. In other words, the committee's polls do not have the same inherent inertia of the AP or coach's polls.

(2) The committee prefers conference champions over teams that didn't win their conference championships.

With that said, I think the final rankings would shake out to look like this (not necessarily in this order):

1. Alabama (if we win the SEC CG, regardless of the Iron Bowl outcome).
2. B1G champion with 2 or fewer losses (tOSU, UM, PSU, Wiscy).
3. 1 Loss ACC champion
4. 1 Loss PAC-12 champion.

If some of those scenarios don't work out, then:

1. 2 Loss Oklahoma (assuming undisputed B12 champ)
2. 1 Loss tOSU
3. 1 Loss Louisville.

I agree with this.

10-2 Florida vs. 12-0 Alabama in the SECCG

If Florida wins, I GUARANTEE you that both teams make the playoffs. Saban can protect his starters and play his third stringers knowing there's no way a 12-1 Alabama team gets left out.

If the committee is watching the game, no way they are going to let that shit slide.

Don't know about that. TCU went from #3 to #6 between the 2nd to last and last polls because even though they won their last game, they weren't the conference champ.

Difference being TCU played a shit schedule that year, OSU would have wins over 3 top 10 opponents.

Think its all null anyways, penn St will dorp the champ game to wiscy and wiscy likely left out in the cold.

So here's whsts going to happen,

Scenario 1
Ohio st is going to destroy the wolverines, penn st wins big 10, bana, Ohio st, Clemson, penn st

Scenario deuce
Ohio st is going to again destroy the wolverines, Wisconsin wins big 10, bama, Ohio st, Clemson Wisconsin

Committee is probably trying to find a path to get a third big 10 or 2nd sec team into this scenario
The second one is the one I think is going to happen..

But if Penn State wins the BIG.. Ohio State is out assuming we beat Michigan.. so.. y'all might need to cheer for Penn State and for the huskies to be destroyed.. I think you might get the nod over Oklahoma.. I'm not sure though.

If they put a two loss team into the playoffs I swear...
It's really think it's going to happen if Wisky and Ohio State wins..

1. Bama
2. Ohio State
3. Clemson
4. Wisky

"Kirby Hocutt says the committee weighs a conf championship the same as SOS, head-to-head, and comparative outcomes against common opponents."

ooooo they setting us up! Let this be a lesson to all. Lose a game and you get a first round bye.
Yup.. I'm pretty sure they are too..

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really understand Michigan being 3. 2-4's game/resume results ultimately came out about equal - Clemson and Michigan suffered worse losses, Washington probably lost to the best opponent but lack on the resume - and they were already about even going in. So adding to that the fact that Michigan also lost their QB, I don't see why they didn't drop more.

Alabama
OSU
Clemson
Louisville
Michigan
Washington

Clemson over Louisville because H2H. You could arguably flip Michigan and Washington, Michigan has the better resume if only for beating Wisconsin, but again, they lost their QB which kind of negates that advantage.

That's a snapshot though. I agree that Louisville probably has to rely on quite a bit of chaos to actually get into the playoff. Need 3 of these 4 to happen (in order of likelihood):

B12 plays themselves out of the playoff
P12 plays themselves out of the playoff
Clemson loses the ACC championship (or to WF, lol)
OSU wins the B1G

Possible, but I think you need UW or Clemson to drop another game.

Yeah, tOSU isn't an automatic in at this point.

I think the two biggest things that would help tOSU is Oklahoma winning the B12 and Washington not winning the Pac 12 and probably Wiscy winning the B10. OSU would have beaten 2 power 5 champions at both of their places....they played one bad quarter (So far) I just can't see them getting left out. Obviously Penn St. losing to Mich. St. is still the best scenario but it won't happen so I think that is their path. Conf. Champs are not a requirement and honestly shouldn't be. If one conference is clearly superior to another then who cares get the best teams in the playoff.

Directly from the committee tonight

"Conference titles aren't weighted more than head-to-head, strength of schedule, results vs common opponents."

"Conference titles aren't weighted more than head-to-head, strength of schedule, results vs common opponents."

The problem will arise if PSU wins the Big 10 they then have the H2H and championship. So if that happens we need Clemson or Washington to lose.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
If Ohio State wins out, regardless of champ game, they are in

Disagree. Conference champions will override them. This assumes a Penn State or Wisconsin B1G Champ, a Clemson ACC Champ, and a WVU or Washington 1-loss Big XII / Pac 12 Champ.

but they are weighted.. right now that's not in the equation, but it will boost teams when it's added to their resume

MIMIC

Banned
So would the Ohio State-Michigan loser still be in (if both teams win their next game)? It would literally be a playoff SF (#2 vs. #3)

Top Bottom