• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Twelve: Why bother? Just give tOSU the trophy.

3-1 vs top 8 cfp. Nuff said. ESPN just wasted 5 min of our lives telling us USC, whos lost 3 games, deserves a shot. Naaaaaah

As much as they would deserve it if they win out. Alabama is in...if Clemson wins out they are in...Penn State would go ahead of them if they win the B10 (And they should) Washington is subjective but going from past experiences I think they would take them if they win the Pac 12. So in my opinion just winning isn't enough they need someone to lose or again if Wisconsin beats Penn State for the B10 title I believe they would still take OSU because of the head to head at Camp Randall.

Chris R

Maybe ND learns from this and just lets their players rape and sexually assault as they see fit instead of cheating on some homework.

So if OSU wins I am guessing that means Penn state plays in the championship and I am assuming you think the winner of the championship game Penn st-Wisconsin will make it to?

I think if Penn St. wins and Bama/Clemson/Washington win OSU is out. If Wisconsin wins I think OSU goes and if Clemson/Washington loses Wiscy and OSU are in. My opinion of course.

I have it on good authority that Chad Morris to Baylor is a lock.

They offered him a SHITLOAD of money.

Like, $5M a year with out clauses and incentives that could bring it to $6M a year.

So if OSU wins I am guessing that means Penn state plays in the championship and I am assuming you think the winner of the championship game Penn st-Wisconsin will make it to?
Not sure how OSU goes if Penn St., Clemson and Washington win out. The committee will find a way though because "reasons". That's expecting too much to go right, so it won't and they'll get in anyway.

ryseing

Yeah, I saw elsewhere that the announcement is coming Sunday.

Actually kinda disappointing to see a promising young coach go down that route. Some things are worth more than money.

Yeah, I saw elsewhere that the announcement is coming Sunday.

Actually kinda disappointing to see a promising young coach go down that route. Some things are worth more than money.

I agree.

But it's a SHITLOAD of money.

Still, he took a poisonous job and I wish he would have just stayed at SMU one more year so he could maybe go to Tech or get a top flight job instead of going to that disgusting shithole in Waco.

ryseing

I agree.

But it's a SHITLOAD of money.

Still, he took a poisonous job and I wish he would have just stayed at SMU one more year so he could maybe go to Tech or get a top flight job instead of going to that disgusting shithole in Waco.

Absolutely. He had that program on the right track, and could have easily gotten a great P5 job if he had just waited a year or two.

Instead he's going to kill his career. Shame.

Absolutely. He had that program on the right track, and could have easily gotten a great P5 job if he had just waited a year or two.

Instead he's going to kill his career. Shame.

$25 Million Dollars is hard to turn down.

Plus I'm hearing he has out-clauses basically every year just in case things go tits up.

Oh also UH is going hard after Art Briles.

So uh.

Go everybody that plays them.

Anyone who is a proponent of an expanded playoff should be rooting for Ohio state to get in. Would 100% start a closer look into expansion

I think if Penn St. wins and Bama/Clemson/Washington win OSU is out. If Wisconsin wins I think OSU goes and if Clemson/Washington loses Wiscy and OSU are in. My opinion of course.

I really doubt Washington jumps Ohio State at this point, assuming both win out. I wouldn't be against it, but the committee seems to value OSU'a resume more. I don't know how much a Pac-12 championship might help.

(For the love of God, shelve this expansion talk 🙄)

I really doubt Washington jumps Ohio State at this point, assuming both win out. I wouldn't be against it, but the committee seems to value OSU'a resume more. I don't know how much a Pac-12 championship might help.
Yet the committee emphasized the conference championship in '14 as the major reason for putting them in that year. Do they just say we're making shit up as we go each year?

Yes...

Well if they do win that means they have then beaten a top 25 Wazzu and either Colo or USC which is not as good a resume for sure but I think it's good enough. I don't think they will win out anyway so it's probably Moot.

Yet the committee emphasized the conference championship in '14 as the major reason for putting them in that year. Do they just say we're making shit up as we go each year?

Yes...

It made sense in '14. Not that it won't here, but it was pretty clear in '14 that OSU was the 4th most deserving team in the country. Baylor was the Big XII champ (IDC what the conference said about "co champs", Baylor was the champion, as much as I hate the program), freezing TCU out, but tanking the conference's shot at getting in. Their schedule was horrendous.

If we're comparing this season to that season, Washington seems like it's the Baylor of the situation. They might get in. I kinda hope they do if they win out, but I'd understand if they didn't. They lost the one game they really couldn't afford to lose, which was the only team with a pulse they've met so far. And they lost definitively. At home.

Hocutt said there is not just a small separation between OSU and Penn State in CFP view. That bodes well for Buckeyes if PSU wins Big Ten.

andycapps

Like, $5M a year with out clauses and incentives that could bring it to $6M a year.

Where do I send my $9.95?
I heard this too.

If tOSU and Washington win out, Washington should be in. Conference champion with the same amount of wins and losses? Has to mean something.

Yes...

While this would be true in almost all cases would you put a 2 loss Big 10 Champ Wisconsin over a 1 loss Ohio State who not only beat them head to head at Wiscy but then also (in theory obviously) beat Michigan the only other team to beat Wiscy?

Yes...

Committee has already said multiple times this season conference championship is mnt weight anymore than the other factors. They said they only use it as a tiebreak if they feel the teams are equal.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Committee has already said multiple times this season conference championship is mnt weight anymore than the other factors. They said they only use it as a tiebreak if they feel the teams are equal.
Using it only as a tie breaker is not weighing it equally.

andycapps

Posted yet? Apparently Mizzou wanted to put this out there while ND was taking heat for what seem to be similar issues.

The University of Missouri has received allegations of potential academic rules violations by a former tutor in the Athletics Academic Services area. Consistent with our commitment to rules compliance and to operating our athletics program with integrity, we are conducting a review of the allegations. We also have informed the NCAA who is working with us on this matter. To protect the integrity of the review process, we will not comment further at this time.

cdyhybrid

Well if they do win that means they have then beaten a top 25 Wazzu and either Colo or USC which is not as good a resume for sure but I think it's good enough. I don't think they will win out anyway so it's probably Moot.
We'd also have wins over Stanford and Utah, who are towards the bottom but still in the playoff rankings.

5 mil plus incentives is p5 money.

I can firmly say, right now, having not been offered that contract, with nothing on the table or any weight, without a budding resume or really a resume you might consider a time or two before unceremoniously wiping your ass with it, I would absolutely turn down Baylor.

Hypothetical: if Alabama loses Saturday, do they even drop from #1? Seems like in the committee's eyes, there's a big gap between them and the field. I definitely don't think they drop below 4 with a loss.

cdyhybrid

Hypothetical: if Alabama loses Saturday, do they even drop from #1? Seems like in the committee's eyes, there's a big gap between them and the field. I definitely don't think they drop below 4 with a loss.
I'd guess they drop to 2 behind OSU/Michigan winner. Wouldn't be surprised if they stayed 1 though.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Hell no, not below #4.i think they drop to #2 at worst, and that is only if OSU blows Michigan or if the water, or vice versa.

If the OSU/Michigan winner wins in a blowout, I could see us dropping to two. I don't think there's a chance in hell we drop to 3 or lower unless we get blown out in turn. This is like a few weeks ago prior to all the upsets, there's a pretty decent gap that gives them a margin for error.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Drop to 2 would be disastrous for ticket sales, assuming that OSUn/Michigan goes to Atlanta instead of Arizona.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Nah I don't care about the playoff rankings. Shouldn't have lost to USC. Plus if we win out we still have a really good shot of getting in thanks to chaos elsewhere.

Beat Wazzu.

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo  1h1 hour ago
For only the 2nd time in 109 meetings, Washington and Washington State will meet when both teams have at least 8 wins (other time: 1981)
Interesting quote I saw today

Drop to 2 would be disastrous for ticket sales, assuming that OSUn/Michigan goes to Atlanta instead of Arizona.

My guess is that Clemson would jump OSU if it wins out, since it'll have a conference championship and OSU wouldn't. And Clemson would definitely take Atlanta. Not sure how it would work out if Michigan won, but I don't think anyone believes there's a chance of that happening anyway.

Top Bottom