• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Twelve: Why bother? Just give tOSU the trophy.

Karl2177

"I hope Craig James has a slow and painful death. Something that ISIS would find appalling. Texas Tech: the final hooker because we got fucked the worst."

"This was the most miserable sporting event I will ever watch in my life. It did not make me want to fire Kliff, or revoke scholarships. It made me want to go back in time and keep the school from ever existing. Last week we take the #13 team to the damn wire and seven days later we get beat by 56 points by IOWA FUCKING STATE! What the fuck is Kliff even doing besides their best ZTA impersonation laying on their back and taking it for 4 hours without saying a damn word and looking pretty while doing it. This shit makes me never want to watch sports again and makes me forget the fucking Cowboys are the best team in the NFL because Tech is such shit-fucking trash. I hate this team. I hate this school. I hate this city and I just want to get taken up in a real cyclone, thrown 500 yards into the side of a building and fucking die."

It's weird being one of the teams that causes these meltdowns.

andycapps

Uncle Rico/Brian VanGorder is back at UGA as a defensive analyst. He started the week of the Auburn game and I'm assuming he helped with the defensive gameplan. So now UGA has 3 current or former DC's on staff in Smart, Tucker (actual DC), and VanGorder.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/former-notre-dame-student-trainer-acted-unethically-committed-academic-misconduct?sf43132124=1

Notre Dame Probation?

Penalties prescribed by the panel include the following:

Public reprimand and censure for the university.

One year of probation from Nov. 22, 2016, through Nov. 21, 2017.

A two-year show-cause order for the former student trainer from Nov. 22, 2016, through Nov. 21, 2018. During that time, any NCAA member school that hires her in an athletically related position must appear with her before a Committee on Infractions panel.

A disassociation of the former student trainer from the university’s athletics program from Nov. 22, 2016, through Nov. 21, 2018. During this period, the university may not accept assistance in the recruitment of prospects or support of student-athletes from the former student trainer; may not accept donations to the athletics program from the former student trainer; may not extend athletics benefits or privilege to the former student trainer that is not generally available to the public; and must ensure the former student trainer is not involved in the university’s athletics program.

A vacation of all records in which student-athletes participated while ineligible during the 2012-13 and 2013-14 football seasons.

A $5,000 fine.

Cecil Hurt ?@CecilHurt 7m7 minutes ago
That would cost Notre Dame 21 wins* dropping them from 2nd all-time to 6th and putting Alabama right on their heels again

Ralph D. RussoVerified account‏@ralphDrussoAP
Ralph D. Russo Retweeted Inside the NCAA
So that 2012 season might not have existed.

Cecil Hurt ‏@CecilHurt 23m23 minutes ago
@ralphDrussoAP The Te'o Girlfriend jokes shall be abundant.

andycapps

BVG coached for a team with a defense? That's news to me.
Was good when he was with us. He just sucks at recruiting these days.

Hard to find stats from 2002-2005 but in 2002 UGA was 4th in opposing points allowed, in 2003 3rd, 9th in 2004, and 8th in 2005.

He had some great players back then and those were also Richt's best/most consistent years. Though 2007 and 2012 were good as well.

ryseing

When I was 9 years old I remember the time we went to go put down our dog of 16 years. I had known him all my life, and it was weird thinking of a life where he isn't there. The last thing I remember of him was lightly holding his tail when he was in a cage. I pulled some fur off of it so I had something to remember him by, which of course blew away when I broke into tears on the car ride back home.

Despite that, this was a less depressing experience than this football game.

I like this one.

Lonestar

Irish Illustrated
‏@PeteSampson_
Brian Kelly’s assessment of his own culpability in this case: “Zero. None."

It was the winds fault.

Dr. Saturday ✔ @YahooDrSaturday
So the only penalty Notre Dame contested to the NCAA regarding the academic misconduct was its wins being vacated.

The only appeal is towards the vacating of wins. Notre Dame only cares about wins confirmed :D

David Hale ‏@DavidHaleESPN 28m28 minutes ago
Highest% team scrimmage yds:
McCaffrey, 42.6%
D. Foreman, 35.3
D. Cook, 35.2
S. Barkley, 32.4
R. Webb, 32.1
A. Wadley, 31.6
T. Mizzell, 30.9

Honestly I'm not sure having one player account for 43% of your yards is a good thing.

Speaking of Notre Dame:

User Actions
Follow

Inside the NCAAVerified account
‏@InsidetheNCAA
Former Notre Dame student athletic trainer committed academic misconduct for football players: http://on.ncaa.com/2gcNdH4

cdyhybrid

Questions for the podcast? We record tonight due to the holiday.
How can the playoff committee's continued crimes against Louisville go unpunished?

Also, will Jabrill Peppers' 4 TDs in the game this weekend be enough to wrest the Heisman from Lamar Jackson's loosening grip?

@PilotNewsdoug
I'm hearing Les Miles very well could be guy for #Purdue job. Announcement could be coming very soon.

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Questions for the podcast? We record tonight due to the holiday.

The NFL currently has a huge hard-on for expanding the sport overseas (NFL Europe, drafting the first non-college European player, international games, etc). The college game, meanwhile, is already much more developed in other countries (Japan, Mexico) but there's not a lot of growth. What could be done to grow the sport at the college level in other countries? And as a related side question: should cfb teams be allowed to play preseason exhibition matches in other countries, like basketball? (see: Princeton playing a Japanese college team in the spring of 2015)

Lonestar

It was the annual November bye week for the SEC, not surprising.

It was the least amount of joy I've gotten out of watching an Alabama game this year. Missed chunks of it, and hated most of what I saw.

Wait, we're recording? Guess I should have paid attention.

Anyone want to fill in? Michigan guy?

Is there an Auburn guy in the house? Dammitmatt, you still lurk?

Ryuuroden

GAF do you think CFB games are too long?

Here is a USA Today article from last month

USA Today

PS: You podcast doges could use this as a podcast topix!

They are longer because they keep adding more and longer commercial breaks, now I'm curious about the length of d2 and d3 games. This is just to hoodwink the fans to make the game shorter so they can add even more commercial breaks.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Despite Tommy Armstrong's hamstring injury, Riker Fyfe's hand injury, and the possibility that a quarterback will be taking snaps for the first time in years, I am actually pretty optimistic about the game against Iowa on Friday. I know beating a 7-4 team is not a huge accomplishment, but they did just take down Michigan and shut out another team on the road. Let's get crazy!

My pick: NU 24, Iowa 17.

Kinda forgot the new playoff rankings were dropping tonight. Who does everyone have?

I'm thinking:
1) Alabama
2) anOSU
3) Clemson
4) Michigan
5) Washington
6) Wisconsin
7) Oklahoma

(At least, that's what I think it should be, not what they'll give us)

Nah I don't care about the playoff rankings. Shouldn't have lost to USC. Plus if we win out we still have a really good shot of getting in thanks to chaos elsewhere.

Beat Wazzu.

In the words of the USC Band, "The Rose bowl, t-shirts, moooooore money!".

Which is to say the goal of most of the long time Pac120301231 conference schools is making the Rose Bowl and everything after that is usually kind of a nice bonus.

cdyhybrid

In the words of the USC Band, "The Rose bowl, t-shirts, moooooore money!".

Which is to say the goal of most of the long time Pac120301231 conference schools is making the Rose Bowl and everything after that is usually kind of a nice bonus.
Yep. I'm not going to complain about "only" going to the Rose Bowl.

Team has been mediocre to abysmal for 15 years.

Top Bottom