• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Bowl and Playoff Thread - Where American Mediocrity is rewarded!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah really shocked by Jalin, we now have tied LSU for most underclassmen to declare, with 7. Likely going to have 9 when its all said and done.

Alabama's had it's fair share, but 7 with Bell to go is a crazy amount. I don't think we'll even see that number this year, as Allen and Tim Williams have expressed (so far) that they are staying), and I could see those 2 as 1st/2nd rounders.

We've mostly been fortunate to not have too many of those "why are you leaving this early" guys. Vinnie Sunseri being on (he left and left no one in the secondary last season, where he very well could have made a difference against OSUn last year, as he got injured late the year before and was sorely missed against Oklahoma.

From a story:
That's a total of 20 players from 2009-15, including three this year in Amari Cooper, Landon Collins and T.J. Yeldon. During that time, not counting the 2015 juniors, 12 juniors were first-round picks, two went in the second round, one in the third round, one in the fifth round and one in the sixth round.

So now it's 14 1st rounders, 3 2nd rounders, 1 3rd, 1 5th and 1 6th.

FSU is returning 100% of our offensive starters.

But that isn't really something to be thrilled about...

Man, that's nuts. Seems like Cook's been there longer than 2 years.

Dsyndrome

For next season, I just want everyone on my team to not have season-ending injuries for a change. Hopefully the QB split doesn't go the same route tOSU's did most of this season.

Lonestar

I think we have a combined 4 starters returning, oh boy!

Hard to guess ours (thankfully, season's not finished yet).

So, best guess: 6 Offensive starters returning, 4-7 Defensive Starters returning (who knows who is starting on the defensive line? They all do), punter/kicker/snapper returning. Kicker we want is going to Florida.

Only will lose 1 WR (Slotty Pippen)
Lose another QB, but we're on the "Brand New Every Year" diet there.
Lose the top 2 RB's. This is where it'll hurt the most. Will depend on BoScar and OtherGuy. Unsure what recruit we might have this year.
Lose the Center and RT, but that's better than what we had coming back this year (LG, RG, RT).
Who knows what will happen with OJ Howard. Will anyone remember he's there or not?

Will lose a starting CB and a 3rd team backup CB. Will have 2 great young ones back. Unsure on Tony Brown's future, could be good, could be processed. Another 5 star or 2 is back there somewhere.
Will lose safety Geno "DUI" Smith, could lose Eddie Jackson to draft, and then there's 3 freshman who sound ridiculously good. So, do think we'll be able to put 4-5 quality players in the secondary

Will lose Ragland, Dillion "Slim" Lee, and Denzel "Washington Robert" Devall at LB. Could lose Reuban "Auburn" Foster and Ryan Anderson to draft (those 2 would be "why now?" draftee's). Tim Williams, SDH and Rashaan Evans being left, with 5 star Christian Miller going "Remember me, guys?" somewhere out there.

At DL, we'll lose probably half of them. Giving us just one NFL line rather than 2 rotating ones.
Reed, Pettway and Darren Lake are gone. A'Shawn "Thanks Mack" Robinson is assuredly gone. Leaving us with J. Allen, D. Payne, D. Tomlinson and #1 HS player of 2013 D. Hand left. Probably unknown NFL players about to be unleashed that know one knows about.

Depending on how QB and RB turn up, is the difference between being back in the playoffs and being in contention for it in November. 2016 Schedule "might" be a little easier, depending on how USCw performs. East team is Kentucky, Arky and Ole Miss will have lost alot of players, A&M is currently in disarray, leaving Auburn, Tennessee and LSU left. Think only 1 of those is currently not trending down.

I like an influx of new posters for champ threads. There are always lots of fans that have something to contribute.

Unfortunately this year it just resulted in a lot of Buckeye fans (looking at you Adam and Floyd!)

Listen Yaboosh, let's just be united in our love of Tom Herman hmm..

Also I wasn't around then.. I only discovered GAF in the last year of school.

I think we have a combined 4 starters returning, oh boy!

God... Damn... Just... Damn.. 4? Over/under wins for next season should be fun.

Lonestar

Ole Miss is also losing Tunsil (LT) and unconfirmed confirmed on losing that other Nkemdiche fella.

December 4, 2014 was the date of UCF's last win so I can see how you may believe football was cancelled in 2015

We're still under NCAA sanctions. For winning the bowl appeal in 2013 allowing us to go to the Fiesta Bowl, we decided to be gracious to the NCAA and give ourselves the death penalty in 2015.

We're still under NCAA sanctions. For winning the bowl appeal in 2013 allowing us to go to the Fiesta Bowl, we decided to be gracious to the NCAA and give ourselves the death penalty in 2015.

U of H to go winless in 2017 confirmed. I believe the alliteration appropriate phrase is "silent sanction"

I look forward to having a brief move to the OT. Having CFB in the community forum feels like a "safe space". It's time to venture out into the unknown and untamed.

I'm excited for all the South Carolina fans who disappeared after 2013 to show up and run their mouths the minute things look grim for Clemson. Thankfully I'll be at the game and not reading it.

impirius

I'm excited for all the South Carolina fans who disappeared after 2013 to show up and run their mouths the minute things look grim for Clemson. Thankfully I'll be at the game and not reading it.
Nice! I mean, fuck Clemson and everything, of course, but that's awesome.

It'll be a couple of years before the Gamecock bandwagon is out of the shop, so enjoy the relative quiet! We'll just be over here, trying to learn the rules of basket-ball.

Oh shit, Jalen Hurts is already enrolled and practicing on Scout Team 247's #1 Dual Threat QB. 2 guesses on who he's attempting to "replicate."

I see a #4 so I have a pretty good idea.

Nice! I mean, fuck Clemson and everything, of course, but that's awesome.

It'll be a couple of years before the Gamecock bandwagon is out of the shop, so enjoy the relative quiet! We'll just be over here, trying to learn the rules of basket-ball.

You'll always be fam, impirius! It's those other jokers who only showed up after your team started winning that I don't like.

Clay Travis is certain Saban is going to the Colts. I doubt it, but let's see here...

We lose to Clemson, super coach Dabo comes home to replace Saban, we go 8-4 next year, win the natty every year after that.

This whole post should have just stopped when you got to this point.

Clay Travis is a douche who is incorrect about damn near everything.

Wasn't he the guy who said Demarcus Cousins would end up in jail in five years and Cousins saved the tweet to shit on him give years later?

Looks like UCF has a defensive coordinator. Erik Chinander, current OLB coach at Oregon and former assistant with the Eagles.

Known as a strong recruiter, but obviously doesn't have coordinator experience at the FBS level. Will be interesting seeing how UCF's traditionally good defense fares with the change in offensive style. I'm imagining not that well.

Balphon

Looks like UCF has a defensive coordinator. Erik Chinander, current OLB coach at Oregon and former assistant with the Eagles.

Known as a strong recruiter, but obviously doesn't have coordinator experience at the FBS level. Will be interesting seeing how UCF's traditionally good defense fares with the change in offensive style. I'm imagining not that well.

The Oregon linebacking corps was atrocious this year, but I can't say how much of that falls on Chinander.

We demoted our DC as well, which was probably the ideal resolution there.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
So he occupies a special place near and dear to your heart?

Him and Cowherd together.. That's too much asshole on one network.
I'm sure every fan base has its paranoid conspiracy theorists who think the media is out to trash their fan base. Clay Travis actually hates Alabama and goes out of his way to run the school down at every opportunity.

Lonestar

Well, the Saban to Colts thing has died for another year.

Also:

image_zpsrv7c8q7w.jpeg

what bias? I don't know what you guys are talking about.

ryseing

No, keep those assholes off our lawn!

Yeah, I'd rather not read posts about how athletics shouldn't have scholarships and all the other anti college sports talking points.

Discuss the game, not what you think about the collegiate sports landscape at large.

Lonestar

Ken Lass ‏@KenWVTM13 48m48 minutes ago
Alabama football coach Nick Saban is part of the investment group planning to locate Mercedes plant in Irondale.

Yeah, he hates us. Enough to get more of us to build Mercedes cheaper than anywhere up north.

andycapps

Staff at UGA is now almost complete with Smart hiring Shane Beamer from VT to be special teams coordinator/tight ends coach. So he's finally doing what Richt never did at UGA, have a special teams coach. Worth noting that Richt hired a special teams coach at Miami, seems to be doing a lot of things differently there with a fresh start.

Most are thinking that Smart's DC will be Mel Tucker or Tosh Lupoi from Bama.

I know how to acquire the DT label is completely arbitrary, but I believe you should average >500 rushing yards per season. I don't think Blake Sims rushing for 350 yards his senior year would make him DT, especially considering he rushed for under 200 yards in his Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior seasons. I know the strength of defenses you're playing are a factor, so if you're rushing for a similar amount of yards compared to your teams runningback then that would also make you DT

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I know how to acquire the DT label is completely arbitrary, but I believe you should average >500 rushing yards per season. I don't think Blake Sims rushing for 350 yards his senior year would make him DT, especially considering he rushed for under 200 yards in his Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior seasons. I know the strength of defenses you're playing are a factor, so if you're rushing for a similar amount of yards compared to your teams runningback then that would also make you DT

Blake Sims barely played until his senior year. He was even on the roster as a RB during some of those years (looks like his Freshman year by those stats).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom