• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 13 - Sparty ain't worried 'bout no clock

cashman

Banned
I'm still surprised Kansas just doesn't kill off their football program, honestly. Just put all the money into basketball.

Kansas has been to a BCS bowl more recently than Nebraska and Tennesee. They at least have the potential to be a good program.

Draxal

I think if Richt doesn't take the Miami job that he sits out a year and relaxes, comes back next year when something better is open. No offense, but he's not going to Maryland or Rutgers.

I did say.

Let's just say if the right coach is there and wants to come here (our perception is awful right now)

Apparently enough of the big boys in the state is tired of that rep.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Official announcement on the Texas Tech firings. Three defensive assistant coaches, all guys that played with Kingsbury at Tech.

A little surprising initially but on second thought it really shouldn't have been. We hired a defensive coordinator (who specialized in DBs) to overhaul our defense last season but then only let him hire one of his own assistants; a DB coach that had to move to LBs because we already had two DB coaches.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Maurice Clarett is Iron Man.
iXwqimz.jpg

andycapps

So this is an interesting take on what's going on at UGA from Rush Propst (formerly of Hoover HS, Two-A-Days, etc). And they will never hire Propst at UGA. Not with his past.

"I went there in the spring and was there for three days," Propst said. "I had a conversation with Jeremy Pruitt and Kevin Sherrer. I watched practice - and in my 35 years of experience - going to Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Florida, Florida State - I have traveled as much as anyone, I never thought in a million years that Georgia would win more than eight games. And I do not think anyone on their staff thought they could. I left there extremely nervous for Coach Pruitt, Coach Sherrer, and Coach Richt."

The roster issues indicated to Propst that the deck was stacked against Richt.

"You have a quarterback not on campus until June - who if he was really good he would be playing at Virginia," Propst said. "There was youth on defense and in the secondary - and they had not one legitimate wide receiver. They have not signed a legitimate wide receiver since I can remember. When you look at those variables, I can see what Coach Saban is saying. I worry about what their thinking is."

"The mistake Mark Richt made was hiring Brian Schottenheimer," Propst said. "It was not a good hire. That is what worries me about college football. Mark was under pressure to hire a name, so he hires a name. Was it the right fit for the University of Georgia? No. So, ultimately, that is probably what did it. I did not agree with the hire and I expressed that to Coach Pruitt and Coach Sherrer."

According to Propst, the inability of Georgia to adapt offensively cost them dearly at the quarterback position.

"No question, if Deshaun Watson was at Georgia, Mark Richt would still be the head coach at Georgia," Propst said. "Or if you decided on Brice Ramsey instead, either way, you have to simplify your offense to make your kid be successful. I think Brice was mismanaged from the first day he got there.

"In the offense Georgia had, they did not have the quarterback on campus they needed. In high school, when we do not have the quarterback to run our system, we adapt. You have to adapt to what you have. They had a system, they recruited to the system. If Deshaun Watson is at Georgia right now, we are not having this conversation right now."

He thinks they should hire Smart, keep Pruitt, Sherrer, and Rocker (and hire Propst). I've mentioned what he calls out here. Smart wants full autonomy from the Board of Regents to hire who he wants, for whatever amount of money he wants to pay them. Multi-year contracts weren't even a thing until the last several years there.

"Do not think that Will being at Auburn is an issue," Propst said. "There is no red tape at Alabama. That is one thing that is wrong with Georgia, and Mark expressed that to me at times. There is too much red tape at Georgia. There is no red tape at Alabama or Auburn. That is one thing that needs to change at Georgia. The head guy needs full reign. When he needs something, he should be able to make one phone call and get it done, not polling a board of regents. That has been a good bit of Georgia's problem.

"Whatever Nick wants, Nick gets. There is no argument, discussion, or vote. That total control has to be deeply considered and taken care of before Kirby or whoever gets the job gets in there. That has got to happen, among other things that need to change that I will not discuss, but Kirby knows what those things are. They have got a lot of it in the right direction, but they still have a ways to go to get it turned around.

And he thinks they need to go to the spread, because every highschool in the state is running it, which is causing many of the offensive players to go to out of state programs. He may be on to something here.

Mark Richt is indeed in Miami today and was with Blake in the early afternoon. More than one person thinks the job is his if he wants it.

— Susan Miller Degnan (@smillerdegnan) December 1, 2015

Of course it is. Most any program in the country not named Georgia would gladly have Richt as their head coach.

Quake1028

PLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHTPLEASE MARK RICHT

Top Bottom