• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross Assault Thread: Get Cross, taste Salt (SFxT Reality Show)

People tend to forget this, but Aris was doing it for the stream monsters. He didn't start harassing Miranda till people started spamming 'Miranda's thighs!!!'. Aris got the idea that this was what the monsters found entertaining so he started teasing Miranda about it. He thought Miranda would play along and feed the trolls.

People also forget that Aris didn't ask Miranda her bra size because he wanted to know it. He asked it because the chat was asking Aris to ask Miranda certain questions. I saw 'Miranda how are you so think for a white girl?' in the chat and Aris straight up asked her that a minute later. He thought this stuff would entertain the stream monsters and make people watch the show.

I also think Aris couldn't have thought Miranda would react the way she did. Aris has been around stream monsters for years and he knows how to react to them. Miranda doesn't. I don't think Aris thought it was harassment, he just thought it was stupid fun. Dr. Sub-Zero also knows how to react to stream monsters. Stream asked "Do you like dicks?". John said "Yeah. I love dicks. Two at the same time.". This was a new thing for Miranda, and she couldn't handle it.

TLDR: Aris isn't sexist. He was saying stuff the stream monsters asked him to say, and didn't realize that Miranda would take them personally. My 2 cents.

Wow. Really?! I didn't know this.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Kuchera must be popping champagne right about now. He lives for these stories, capitalizing on drama with passive aggressive tweets and raking in the page hits. Nothing new, he did this all the time at Ars Technica

Wow Really?!

vurnl.jpg

VashTS

These articles popping up are interesting. I also find it funny how some make reference to fans in the crowd screaming inappropriate phrases. Name one sport where people don't mouth off and get into fist fights over?
Esports yooooaaaauuuuuu

h3ro

We're over 10k, time to have a update on the GAF Cross Assault Thread Hall of Shame

And the top 10 are....

2012-02-28_181404.jpg

I feel like I've posted a ton. But I'm only at 66, less than half of #10. If it wasn't for my job I think I would have been top 10 though.

Oh snap. I'm in dere.

I'm gonna say it again. THANK YOU CAPCOM. BRINGERS OF HYPE. KILLERS OF ESPORTS.

All this because Arturo infiltrated the capcops.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
People tend to forget this, but Aris was doing it for the stream monsters. He didn't start harassing Miranda till people started spamming 'Miranda's thighs!!!'. Aris got the idea that this was what the monsters found entertaining so he started teasing Miranda about it. He thought Miranda would play along and feed the trolls.

People also forget that Aris didn't ask Miranda her bra size because he wanted to know it. He asked it because the chat was asking Aris to ask Miranda certain questions. I saw 'Miranda how are you so thick for a white girl?' in the chat and Aris straight up asked her that a minute later. He thought this stuff would entertain the stream monsters and make people watch the show.

I also think Aris couldn't have thought Miranda would react the way she did. Aris has been around stream monsters for years and he knows how to react to them. Miranda doesn't. I don't think Aris thought it was harassment, he just thought it was stupid fun. Dr. Sub-Zero also knows how to react to stream monsters. Stream asked "Do you like dicks?". John said "Yeah. I love dicks. Two at the same time.". This was a new thing for Miranda, and she couldn't handle it.

TLDR: Aris isn't sexist. He was saying stuff the stream monsters asked him to say, and didn't realize that Miranda would take them personally. My 2 cents.

If people use this as a defense its even worse. Doesn't this just play to the tune of "this is not an Aris problem but a bigger problem with the FGC"?

Kapwan

Neo Member
Remember when everyone used to laugh at Aris when he pretended to Hit on Kayo Police.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77SfC-gmK9o

I think all this drama will blow over in a few weeks after all the opinion pieces have been written and people get back to focusing what we really matters in all this "Video Games". All this drama is based on the actions of a few people and everyone else throwing in their 2 cents on the situation.

At the end of the day Aris is just a well known guy in the FGC he is not the FGC. Everyone should lay off Miranda as well, everyone handles bullying differently. While she could have handled it a different way you can't change the past so we should just move past this and focus on the Games and Leveling Up.

Tobe

People also forget that Aris didn't ask Miranda her bra size because he wanted to know it. He asked it because the chat was asking Aris to ask Miranda certain questions. I saw 'Miranda how are you so thick for a white girl?' in the chat and Aris straight up asked her that a minute later. He thought this stuff would entertain the stream monsters and make people watch the show.

Yes really, like i said everything has been blown out of proportions specially Miranda. thanks sephi ppl really need to read this stuff.

Even if that is the case the dude still comes off just as fucking stupid.

Oh, so it's not just one dumb dude. It was one dumb dude acting as a mouthpiece for the FGC audience. That makes things much better.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure the non-stop sexist and hateful stream monster posts did a lot of the damage yes. It may have been easy to ignore for her day one, but the sheer quantity of those messages along with the building twitter discussion may have worn her down. I can imagine that suddenly being under this kind of spotlight without any buildup must be very confusing. Not saying this excuses Aris at all though.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So the defense now is that a whole bunch of manbabies who watch fighting game streams requested the harassment so its ok?

If yall wanna run with that its a slippery slope. You are just feeding the fire with that.

Oh, so it's not just one dumb dude. It was one dumb dude acting as a mouthpiece for the FGC audience. That makes things much better.
lol

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds;35570191 said:

Yeah. Pretty silly to try to defend his actions. He knew that he was going over the line and just didn't give a fuck.

Anth0ny

This is pretty much how I see it. I guess there's a lot of people new to fighting game streams watching this/following this story.

Luckily, we have a new game coming next week that should blow all this negative press away.

Mœbius

It would be much harder to write article painting the community as a whole as sexist if Aris did not get on stream and act like the ambassador for foolishness.
Oh absolutely. I think the problem this tweet demonstrates though is that he's responding to people having issue with his article and the way he's presented it as some kind of blanket condoning of Aris's comments or sexism in general; and to make it worse he is applying that broad assumption to the entire community, instead of, you know, asking more people from the community to chime in so he can present the debate, the ugly side and the good side, with some more transparency and balance, like the GB dude.

In short I was shaking my head at how defensive and arrogant / judgmental his tweet was; it's like he doesn't want a dialogue, which one could argue he has a professional responsibility to aim for (along with hits). Am I mad at Aris for saying ludicrous unacceptable crap and it being allowed? Yeah. Does that mean I can't point out yellow journalism when I see it? No.

CPS2

Danm

FGC story spilling over the mainstream Gaming Media? They dont know what they in for

I think it might be the other way around. I think there's maybe 20,000 or so people regularly checking fighting game websites going by youtube video hits etc, but a few million checking the mainstream sites. Aris might be in for a bad ride.

Unfortunately catering to idiots puts you in a bad light. I don't think he is a monster and I will admit to hoping that he was the Tekken coach as soon as this was announced. But he is probably too raw for this kinda thing and really really doesn't think things out before he says them. But this can be a positive if it brought to light that there is a problem here. People should not be made to feel unwanted or uncomfortable in this community or any. It's not about thick skin, it's about being considerate of each other. There will always be stream monster because of internet anonymity, but now organizers should take better care of who they put as the face of their events. It's worked for Level Up and even Yipes knows there is a time to be professional.

sephi22

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds;35570191 said:
Yeah, he's always been a dick. That's his thing.

Yeah. Pretty silly to try to defend his actions. He knew that he was going over the line and just didn't give a fuck.
If people use this as a defense its even worse. Doesn't this just play to the tune of "this is not an Aris problem but a bigger problem with the FGC"?
That's exactly what it means. I've been saying that the FGC isn't as homophobic/sexist/racist as the stream monsters make it appear to be. Aris should've known better than to entertain the monsters. The "You tell me what Valle's doing, I'll give you Miranda's thighs" shit ended up biting him in the ass.

Probably doesn't, but it needed to be said. At least people should have the complete picture, and looking at the responses to my posts, not all of them did.

vg260

And really. No matter how shady/creepy you guys think some of the faces of the FGC are... They put in a ton of work to give us exposure. .

Not sure who this is in reference to, and that may be true, but if people behave like this Aris guy, you're better off without people with this kind of attitude representing the FGC if you want it to have attention and/or respect.

Good for Ben Kuchera on calling out the huge problem with the acceptability of this behavior in a public forum. That Aris guy deserves all the crap he gets for this. His true colors were shown.

Justifying this kind of thing in any way is incredibly sad and embarrassing. People need to know better.

Mate, that is pretty much the definition. He may not have thought it would cause offence, but that is pretty much the point. Hopefully by highlighting the issue people will do a bit of self and community evaluation and things will move forward positively.

Which was probably the point of the show... staged

Top Bottom