• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Wise, god of game soundtracks, returns to the world of men (new samples inside)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
You deaf, boy?

Make sure your sound is up

gus-head-nod.gif

I don't know how many times i've said this already... again, the music is nice and i mean really nice and good (i'm not saying it sucks or anthing) but it's nothing compared to his older work for example the absolutely fantastic DKC2 soundtrack.

It's my opinion and you can't change it, no matter how hard you try, boy.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
dat hyperbole
Does anyone actually care that it's hyperbole? Does anyone not realize that a topic named "David Wise, god of game soundtracks, returns to the world of men" would be anything other than hyperbole?

The point is that people are excited to hear this soundtrack and a topic was made so we can discuss it.

GAMERG0D

WTF the first boss fight track.

That's not Donkey Kong, that's fucking Devil May Cry.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. After listening to the entire Kirby Triple Deluxe soundtrack (seriously guys go listen to that, it's really amazing) I thought it couldn't be topped. But Tropical Freeze... this is just better.

I don't know how many times i've said this already... again, the music is nice and i mean really nice and good (i'm not saying it sucks or anthing) but it's nothing compared to his older work for example the absolutely fantastic DKC2 soundtrack.

It's my opinion and you can't change it, no matter how hard you try, boy.

I like the Tropical Freeze soundtrack BETTER than DKC2 actually (I have the full ost on my PC). You're totally entitled to your opinion though.

JavyOO7

oh man itd be great on the day this game is out in NA that the sound track would be out in itunes or something of that nature

I like the Tropical Freeze soundtrack BETTER than DKC2 actually (I have the full ost on my PC). You're totally entitled to your opinion though.

but people are too hype it must be deflated for great justice and puppies AAAAAARGH

*desperate kamehameha of negativity in an attempt to achieve balance against massive spirit bomb of eargasms*

DKC 2's soundtrack fits the aesthetic of its respective game as accurately, I feel, as Tropical Freeze's soundtrack does for its respective game (from what I've seen). Both soundtracks are master-tier.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

and so are you sir, i totally respect that, if you like the TF OST more than the DKC2 well ok, that's perfectly fine for me but please for the others especially Neiteio or this Holy Order Sol guy who quotes me in every DKC: TF thread don't try to change anyones opinion.

You know what David Wise should do ? Score the next Metroid games. He's proven that he can do atmospheric and moody extremely well.

You know what David Wise should do ? Score the next Metroid games. He's proven that he can do atmospheric and moody extremely well.

Nothing against the man, but I REALLY love Yamamoto's music in the Prime series. Some awesome atmospheric and ambient music right there.

Neiteio

and so are you sir, i totally respect that, if you like the TF OST more than the DKC2 well ok, that's perfectly fine for me but please for the others especially Neiteio or this Holy Order Sol guy who quotes me in every DKC: TF thread don't try to change anyones opinion.
lol, I never tried to change your opinion

Anyways, dat flute overdrive in Frantic Fields!

Neiteio

Contender for soundtrack of the year. Hopefully it doesn't get forgotten about because it's early in the year, and on Wii U.
People still worship the DKC2 soundtrack nearly 20 years after its release. A year's time is nothing to David Wise.

EDIT: Wow, still listening to Frantic Fields, this shit is cray

Nothing against the man, but I REALLY love Yamamoto's music in the Prime series. Some awesome atmospheric and ambient music right there.

Sure, but wouldn't you be curious to hear a Metroid soundtrack composed solely by David Wise ? Who knows how great it could be. What if it's better than Yamamoto's ?

I need to know.

javac

Thank you for this thread. I'm soo fucking pumped for Tropical Freeze you wouldn't believe it. The idea of it on my TV with that beautiful graphics and dat David Wise coming out of my speakers is giving me the biggest grin on my face and tears in my eyes. I really love good music and I'm so excited.

Is this music recorded from in game like a music option or is the CD out in Japan? I wish Nintendo gave us soundtracks like this. Even download links for soundtracks for games if you register them on club Nintendo during launch week or something. Alas I'll have to track a CD down!

Trying not to listen to too much but I can't resist a little nibble and I love it. Wing Ding is my jam right now. Thanks again for compiling all these epic tracks in this thread :)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
yes, a peerage is pretty much required now. Take the one that idiot Cleese refused and give it to Wise

Neiteio

Thank you for this thread. I'm soo fucking pumped for Tropical Freeze you wouldn't believe it. The idea of it on my TV with that beautiful graphics and dat David Wise coming out of my speakers is giving me the biggest grin on my face and tears in my eyes. I really love good music and I'm so excited.

Is this music recorded from in game like a music option or is the CD out in Japan? I wish Nintendo gave us soundtracks like this. Even download links for soundtracks for games if you register them on club Nintendo during launch week or something. Alas I'll have to track a CD down!

Trying not to listen to too much but I can't resist a little nibble and I love it. Wing Ding is my jam right now. Thanks again for compiling all these epic tracks in this thread :)
No problem. It appears these tracks are direct-feed from the game, which has an in-game music test option for every single track. You can also dial down the volume on the sound effects (or turn off sound effects altogether) during gameplay for maximum... global... Wisaturation.

Nintendo will hopefully sell the soundtrack on iTunes at some point, but it's hard to say, Nintendo being back-asswards and all.

I want a WiiU. Just for this fucking game.

C'mon, Nintendo. Drop the goddamn price already ! Your shit is not selling anyway !

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo will hopefully sell the soundtrack on iTunes at some point, but it's hard to say, Nintendo being back-asswards and all.
Ain't the only Nintendo soundtracks on iTunes so far all Pokemon stuff?

If so, then get David Wise on Pokemon pronto.

Lijik

DKC 2's soundtrack fits the aesthetic of its respective game as accurately, I feel, as Tropical Freeze's soundtrack does for its respective game (from what I've seen). Both soundtracks are master-tier.

Yeah thats how I feel. The soundtrack going after the style of DKC2 wouldnt really fit the game imo. The melodies and compositions are still distinctly David Wise even if the style of the music is different from his past works.

I thin Neiteio compared the tone of DKTF to DK3 a while back, so I think its pretty apt that the soundtrack to DKC3gba is the one most comparable to DKTF

Neiteio

Any DKC2 remixes? Don't want to spoil too much of the soundtrack yet
There are two remixes of the Bramble Blast theme (one of which is in the OP), like four remixes of Lockjaw's Saga, phrases from the haunted mine cart level in Sawmill Thrill, and probably more that I can't recall offhand at the moment. There is a LOT of music in this game.

Neiteio

Yeah thats how I feel. The soundtrack going after the style of DKC2 wouldnt really fit the game imo. The melodies and compositions are still distinctly David Wise even if the style of the music is different from his past works.

I thin Neiteio compared the tone of DKTF to DK3 a while back, so I think its pretty apt that the soundtrack to DKC3gba is the one most comparable to DKTF
Yeah, I think TF feels like DKC3 with its woodsy "wonders of nature" motif. :)

Yep, same here. This is the one song that really stands out for me. Whole song is fantastic, but this part right here is simply godly.
Yes, Amiss Abyss is fantastic. It's my most-wanted song at the moment.

Vanille

This OST definitely seems like it'll be a grower, not many of the tracks are grabbing me upon first listen.

Scorch 'N' Torch is definitely an early standout though. Classic Wise right there.

Voliko

There are two remixes of the Bramble Blast theme (one of which is in the OP), like four remixes of Lockjaw's Saga, phrases from the haunted mine cart level in Sawmill Thrill, and probably more that I can't recall offhand at the moment. There is a LOT of music in this game.
Awesome. I didn't know that there were so many tracks, I can't wait to play the game.

I'm loving Scorch 'N' Torch- feels nostalgic but fresh at the same time.

Good lord this guy is good. I never played the DKC trilogy and thought GAF was overhyping him, but man, this soundtrack is astonishingly varied and excellent. I'm listening to Busted Bayou right now. What is this, a jazz/fusion album masquerading as a video game?

javac

No problem. It appears these tracks are direct-feed from the game, which has an in-game music test option for every single track. You can also dial down the volume on the sound effects (or turn off sound effects altogether) during gameplay for maximum... global... Wisaturation.

That's good to hear. A lot of Pokémon soundtracks have been popping up on iTunes lately so hopefully it's a trend. In any case I'll be keeping an eye on eBay. SM3DW' soundtrack was going for a pretty penny but seems to have come down a notch now. I'd like a physical copy of this.

As for turning the sound effects off, I'd probably keep them on to appreciate the full effect of that magnificent beast and all the audio queues etc but it's nice to have the option! :)

Top Bottom