• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Wise, god of game soundtracks, returns to the world of men (new samples inside)

I've never heard of David Wise until now, but I am reallyyyy digging these tracks, thanks for posting. Tropical Freeze all around looks pretty great, shame I won't be able to play it due to lack of a Wii U.

Voliko

DKCR was amazing and all but it just didn't feel right with the music. Listening to some of these tracks is getting me really excited for Tropical Freeze. It feels like a truer "return" for the series. David Wise is back! :)

Neiteio

Yeah guys, feel free to link to the other tracks I did not. I only linked to like half of the tracks in the first couple worlds. I will also be adding more favorites to the OP -- I already added another three under "Update #1."

I loved Returns, but god damn if this isn't the missing piece for me to truly lose my god damned mind over some Retro DK.

Also, no shake to roll.

AdanVC

And just when I tought no new Nintendo game could top the Super Mario 3D World soundtrack, David Wise appears and does it with DKC: Tropical Freeze. What I've been hearing so far is just amazing and it fits perfectly the DK universe in such a unique way. The most exciting thing is that there's still tons of tunes we haven't hear yet from this game!

Dat 1st boss music is just something. It's like an epic Progressive Rock song from the 90s. I got chills everytime I hear it.

Retro/Nintendo should hire this man

This!!

Neiteio

I loved Returns, but god damn if this isn't the missing piece for me to truly lose my god damned mind over some Retro DK.

Also, no shake to roll.
And it's in HD. :)

Also dat Wing Ding

Jimmy-Pesto-Jr-Dancing-Gif.gif

And the second half of Wing Ding

r9FJe.gif

So... is the level with the rocket barrel (Twilight Terror?) the only stage that uses the Stickerbush Symphony music...? :'(

I mean, as long as it's in the game, that's great. But I find it silly that it wasn't used on the one stage with Bramble Blast-esque visuals, and instead on a stage where it only plays for a few seconds until the rocket barrel music takes over.

Neiteio

So... is the level with the rocket barrel (Twilight Terror?) the only stage that uses the Stickerbush Symphony music...? :'(

I mean, as long as it's in the game, that's great. But I find it silly that it wasn't used on the one stage with Bramble Blast-esque visuals, and instead on a stage where it only plays for a few seconds until the rocket barrel music takes over.
Not sure, but the ending credits (time-stamped) also have an amazing remix of Stickerbush Symphony.

(Is it "Stickerbush" or "Stickerbrush?" I swear I see both in equal measure.)

At any rate, PLAY DAT SAX, DAVE WISE:

efTeIVT.png

Only stage we know of. Personally I think it'd make a great final level (like ultra-difficult-to-unlock-even-harder-to-beat final level) theme. But yeah, nothing we know of.

Not sure, but the ending credits (time-stamped) also have an amazing remix of Stickerbush Symphony.

(Is it "Stickerbush" or "Stickerbrush?" I swear I see both in equal measure.)

At any rate, PLAY DAT SAX, DAVE WISE:

efTeIVT.png

Oh that's right, that was mentioned... welp, I guess I'll have to wait until I get the game and beat it to hear that masterpiece. ;)

Only stage we know of. Personally I think it'd make a great final level (like ultra-difficult-to-unlock-even-harder-to-beat final level) theme. But yeah, nothing we know of.

Darn. Ah well, as long as I can listen to that wonderful tune at some point in the game. SO much better than the original. *prepares to be crucified*

Isotope

I tried so hard not to click any of the links. I caved.

I need this game and OST right now. Like holy shit, this is right on par with DKC2.

Neiteio

Can't get over how good Scorch and Torch is. It and Busted Bayou are tied for my favourites in this soundtrack.

I'm up for Elite Wise Agents
Elite Beat Agents: David Wise Edition

SYNOPSIS: The agents teach Iwata how to love again... to the theme of Amiss Abyss!

Neiteio

FANBOY SCENARIO

David Wise, Grant Kirkhope and Robin Beanland (the magnificent trio from Rare's Golden Age) form a new sound studio called WE SCORE ALL NINTENDO GAMES, Ltd.

Big-Boss1-600x329.png

"This is good... Isn't it?"

Cannon Canyon

Dat desolate canyon atmosphere, dat acoustic guitar, DAT FLUTE!

After like 6 plays I just noticed this song has a choir in it at one point lol, wtf

Wise's tracks have so many layers it makes them infinitely relistenable. They're like the gift that keeps on giving!

Wait...so many layers, so much going on, yet it's perfectly clear and easy to understand

...like Retro's level design

D:

Why did I return to this thread? I couldn't not cave in and give one more track a listen so I chose to hear the clean version of Cannon Canyon since i'd already heard that one before in the E3 previews, I can now hear the choir and it's glorious.

David Wise should be the 3rd DK series rep in Super Smash Bros, he uses the power of DAT FLUTE to enrapture other characters and lead them off the stage like he's the Pied Piper of Nintendo.

Neiteio

I think this may be the best video game soundtrack I've ever heard. My god.
And you've only heard some of the tracks from the first two worlds, a handful from the third, and one from the sixth (assuming you listened to everything in the OP).

Wait until you hear Amiss Abyss. *patiently waits for the song to hit the Web*

Seriously, Amiss Abyss made me cry. Not saying it'll affect you the same way, but in the context of the level especially, it's just so... Man.

The Hermit

I don't want to spoil myself the entire soundtrack...

But today I heard the remix of probably everyone´s favorite DKC series music.

I am liking it even better than the original.

And you've only heard some of the tracks from the first two worlds, a handful from the third, and one from the sixth (assuming you listened to everything in the OP).

Amiss Abyss totally delivers (has some nice backing bass to it that didn't come through in the gameplay video) but man, I really want you to hear Irate Eight (beginning). It's like OMMMGGGGG levels of smoothness. It's gonna catch everyone the fuck off guard.

And that Psych gif you use will go so well with it :D

Seriously, Amiss Abyss made me cry. Not saying it'll affect you the same way, but in the context of the level especially, it's just so... Man.

Yeah, I saw a YT video with that song....it's beautiful!

DKC Returns is probably my favorite game of all time. DKC2 is one of my favorite soundtracks of all time. Tropical Freeze may just beat them both! The next few days are going to be torture.

Neiteio

I don't want to spoil myself the entire soundtrack...

But today I heard the remix of probably everyone´s favorite DKC series music.

I am liking it even better than the original.
Yep, the new Bramble Blast (labeled "Twilight Terror" in the OP) is just fantastic. The choir... The choir! The flute-tweaking in the latter half (the "off" notes, although they're completely intentional) were a bit controversial at first, but like magic, it grows on you and I now wouldn't have it any other way.

Amiss Abyss totally delivers (has some nice backing bass to it that didn't come through in the gameplay video) but man, I really want you to hear Irate Eight (beginning). It's like OMMMGGGGG levels of smoothness. It's gonna catch everyone the fuck off guard.

And that Psych gif you use will go so well with it :D
That Psych gif goes good with a lot of the music in this game, LOL

Looking forward to hearing that Irate Eight track!

Oidisco

I'm really conflicted here. It's the music that got me hyped for this game in the first place and I want to hear it all right now, but on the other hand I also want to wait and experience it all myself on Friday. I mean I purposefully avoided listening to the 3D World soundtrack and it was so so worth it, but this games music is really hard to resist listening to!

I should probably just remove all possible ways of accessing the internet until the game is out.

Neiteio

I'm really conflicted here. It's the music that got me hyped for this game in the first place and I want to hear it all right now, but on the other hand I also want to wait and experience it all myself on Friday. I mean I purposefully avoided listening to the 3D World soundtrack and it was so so worth it, but this games music is really hard to resist listening to!

I should probably just remove all possible ways of accessing the internet until the game is out.
image.php

"Ha! What a stooory, Mark!"

Top Bottom