• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN NHL 2K5 league.

Future Shop ain't gettin it till September 1st :(

We should start the league like a few days after September so I can fix my internet (it's been disconnecting every 15 minutes) and remember how to play the friggin game.

Cloudy

Banned
Good point. How a week or so for "pre-season" to figure out what difficulty, period length etc. we want to go with for the season. That should also be enough time to find any cheesy crap that we won't be allowing lol

We could also do a pre-season tourney :D

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
gah. "Thanks for calling EB Games, your source for Nintendo and ESPN NHL 2K5 has not arrived yet"

lmao

Jason

Some quick impressions.

-there are now other ways to score other than breakaways and one-timers!

-forecheckers back off when you set up behind the net. me likey.

-defencemen smarter. won't let me charge up the middle anymore.

-presentation is slick.

-load times seem to be better (ps2 version at least)

-playing defence is still a foreign concept for me. getting smoked on hall of fame difficulty. :(

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
some new videos on espnhockey.net made me get excited about 100 fold. The cpu ai actually uses the defence as a screen to score sometimes. They fiddled with accuracy sliders and everything can change drastically making it way more real. The CPU during a powerplay will actually hold the blue line, and drop passes actually work now :eek:

FightyF

Banned
Are we going to make any modifications to the rules? According to my bro there was a movie or something where Kush set the settings to ultra-realistic, and shots from the blue line and sometimes outside the circles would go wide more often than not. This forces you to get it in a bit deeper to get some accurate shots on. IMO it sounds sweet, but at the same time we don't want to make this a totally different game than the one we'll all be used to (with the default settings).

Plus, I think we should play in Hall of Famer, that is unless they've balanced things out more.

Cloudy

Banned
We play on Legend difficulty in the NBA and NFL GA leagues so HOF will probably be the way to go. As for the settings, we have a week to come to a decision on that. I'd personally prefer anything that gives the most realistic stats :D

Jason

Got smoked 11-5 in my first game. There was a little lag during the team selection but the game itself was completely lag free. *thumbs up*

I have to get use to the controls...I am not nearly as use to it as I'm use to 2K3.

I remember when speed burst and checking were the same button. :D

This game marks my triumphant return to hockey....since the last hockey game I purchased was ESPN NHL 2K3....and I owned almost all of you back then! :D

Fifty

Oh god, do they say that a lot? Surely not as bad as the "Shoulder" comments from last year's game. It's almost worth buying it just to hear how bad it was :p They would say stuff like "What a huge hit with the shoulder" "Ya gotta lead with the shoulder" "Man, what a huge shoulder hit" AGAIN AND AGAIN. At first we'd laugh about it, but it was so repititive that I ended up turning commentary off.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
If you make a blocker save, prepare to hear the complete history of the blocker and its effect on the game of hockey... :lol

This game still rocks. Needs more slider adjustments though.

FightyF

Banned
Got it this morning, played half a game with my bro. They made scoring a lot easier! Which is good and bad. More varied goals are great, but it was 3-2 after the first period on Hall of Famer. It's not like we played horrible defense either...

The game froze on him when playing online too. I hope it's not a recurring problem. I'm gonna play a bit more before picking my team. If Cujo and Legace still suck (they would let any breakaway deke shots in last year, making it a beyochislov to play with Detroit online), I'm gonna choose another team.

bishoptl said:
I was playing (trying to anyways) DMczaf.
jog.gif

DMczaf is on my XBL list and he wasn't online!

worried.jpg

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
? Yes he was. We connected in NHL and it froze shortly after the puck drop. He switched to Madden afterwards...so yeah, goggles n eye prescriptions n all that.

Finally got my copy after, god well it's a long story which will be told soon enough here. So who wants to play? I've only played about three or four games so I'm still adjusting to some of the new stuff. GamerTag - Darknight

Maverick

My Xbox live is still fucked up in my dorm, so you guys get the chance to practice up for a little while longer before facing THE GREAT ONE (c)

Fifty

I haven't seen Malakov post in this thread in some time. I am willing and able to create and commish the league if we don't hear from him shortly.

edit: Right as I was posting this another thread was created.

Top Bottom