• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 07/14/15

On the subject of timestamps, I'd just like to say that hammocks are great, and I firmly support a pro-hammock agenda. Only rope hammocks though. Those fabric imposters can fuck right off.
I legit have never seen a not rope hammock. I mean I assumed they existed, just never seen one.

First God of War was a decent game, thoroughly enjoyed the spectacle and scale.

I bought the second very cheap and could only get about 1 hour in, felt different and somewhat drab and all over the place. The third game I only played the demo and watched some very tedious gameplay videos where you have to traverse by linking attacks in those flying enemies.

The original had a cool vibe and nicely pitched structure that the others lacked.

Probably would be better to do a proper remaster of the first game rather than trying the fourth game and this third game remaster on PS4.

edit: In all the years of listening to the bombcast, not once have I ever felt the need for timestamps. For other general tech type podcasts I will look for timestamps in the comments.

hamchan

2>3>1

In terms of God of War quality. The first was amazing at the time but going back it's incredibly rough. Climbing out of the Underworld in GOW1 is one of the most miserable gaming experiences I've had.

erawsd

I am with Dan when it comes to God of War.

Screw the fun hating hipsters!

Agreed. GoW was fun for the spectacle and the over the top action. I do agree that it has a pretty mediocre narrative, Kratos' motivations throughout are contrived, and his character arc is flat... but to me that criticism extends to 90% of videogame sequels and their protagonists.

Okay, I'll start timestamping everything. Podcast will henceforth be posting three hours later, since I'll need to go back and listen to the whole thing to note all the times. Everyone make sure to thank CambriaRising for lighting a fire under me on this one!

Well at least now no one will ever have a leg to stand on when it comes to crying about spoilers.
Not only are my hands full (figuratively) trying to keep the conversation moving and (literally) reading news and emails, but the timestamps as we're recording aren't even accurate to the final recording because, you know, editing.

I understand why people would want it but it's hardly as simple as me going "nah fuck it, I'd rather lie in a hammock than type a few numbers into the post form."

I mean, I would rather lie in a hammock than most things, but you get the point.
You shouldn't feel obligated to do it because of this thread.

Climbing out of the underworld is the most overated difficulty spike of all time. Never took me more than 5 minutes in all of my playthroughs. Suppose it's one of those things where you can get frustrated if you mess up though.

The bit where you have to kill all of the enemies before the floor drops was much harder.

scoobs

I am with Dan when it comes to God of War.

Screw the fun hating hipsters!

Agreed, always thought the general dismissal of the GoW franchise by the GB crew was ridiculous. Its an extremely popular series that has reviewed well, and its loved my many, and GB has always written it off as garbage.

Opinions are opinions, but Jeff and Brad (and now apparently Jason, if you watched the quick look where he sat there and complained about the game the entire time) have always taken the stance that these games aren't good, when in reality they're in the minority and most people love those games (1, 2 and 3... lets forget about the others for arguments sake).

They didn't even mention God Of War 3 in best graphics discussion the year that it came out when it was CLEARLY one of the most impressive games from a technical perspective. Didn't even mention it. Why? Because none of them even played it.

Their hatred for the series runs deep, and its nice to have at least one GB crew member show some appreciation for it.

eznark

Banned
Not only are my hands full (figuratively) trying to keep the conversation moving and (literally) reading news and emails, but the timestamps as we're recording aren't even accurate to the final recording because, you know, editing.

I understand why people would want it but it's hardly as simple as me going "nah fuck it, I'd rather lie in a hammock than type a few numbers into the post form."

I mean, I would rather lie in a hammock than most things, but you get the point.

It's really as simple as sliding the name of whatever game you are talking about into the conversation every couple minutes or so. There is some broadcasting standard for how often you are supposed to mention the topic/subject of any segment but I'm not sure what it is. Three minutes I think. Listen to Dan Patrick once, he goes waaaaaaaaay overboard and says "we're talking to XXXXX" every like 2 minutes.

Every podcast has this problem though, so while I know you find it impossible to take constructive criticism, try it! It'll make you a better host.

Fuck people who complain about spoilers for real though.

LiK

I'd happily sacrifice timestamps just to watch you play more Bloodborne. Hehehe

Curufinwe

Timestamps should be crowdsourced to the people who listen to the Bombcast as soon as it comes out. Let people post timestamps on the first page of the thread, and then the thread starter can collate them in the first post.

I liked the opening segment, but I cringed so hard at the Vita bashing segment. I mean, it is obvious they aren't into the Vita, its games, and haven't used one in a while.. but it just feels so wrong with how completely dismissive they all are.

'For Indie devs that just think its cool to be on a handheld'? Most indie devs on Vita have gone through great efforts to bring a great experience to the platform, it is so disrespectful and ignorant to say.

Meanwhile lets glorify Unreal Championship 2 olol

Timestamps should be crowdsourced to the people who listen to the Bombcast as soon as it comes out. Let people post timestamps on the first page of the thread, and then the thread starter can collate them in the first post.

That's not going to reach enough people to matter.

AHA-Lambda

Okay, I'll start timestamping everything. Podcast will henceforth be posting three hours later, since I'll need to go back and listen to the whole thing to note all the times. Everyone make sure to thank CambriaRising for lighting a fire under me on this one!

Umm, good? I don't like the facetious tone but this would be a good move.
Thanks CambriaRising!

oti

Banned
I waffle back and forth on Dan. I read his recent book about how he copes with his anxiety and really appreciated his sincere if relatively simplistic outlook. But the conversation on the Bombcast and everything in the GoW3 quick look just really put forward all the parts of Dan that I kind of can't stand. He makes up his mind, acts incredulous when his own world view is challenged in any way, and just repeats himself over and over until the conversation ends.

He seems like a really, really nice guy, but I think I'd lose my mind if I had to be around him all the time, haha.

I always imagine sitting on the couch talking to Jeff when Luxembourg comes up and Dan says "what's Luxembourg?" and then me trying to kill him with my eyes.

I waffle back and forth on Dan. I read his recent book about how he copes with his anxiety and really appreciated his sincere if relatively simplistic outlook. But the conversation on the Bombcast and everything in the GoW3 quick look just really put forward all the parts of Dan that I kind of can't stand. He makes up his mind, acts incredulous when his own world view is challenged in any way, and just repeats himself over and over until the conversation ends.

He seems like a really, really nice guy, but I think I'd lose my mind if I had to be around him all the time, haha.

I mean, everyone else pretty much did the same thing, except Dan happened to be outnumbered.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
You know what's a cool game? Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death.

Just sayin.

That game has heart.

mattp

I feel as though Alloy Cog didn't get the props it deserved

drew's jokes NEVER do

i feel like he sneaks in at least one joke like that per episode and no one ever acknowledges it lol
its pretty hilarious

poor drew. i appreciate your jokes

I always imagine sitting on the couch talking to Jeff when Luxembourg comes up and Dan says "what's Luxembourg?" and then me trying to kill him with my eyes.

Luxembourg isn't a thing though. You don't get to be a thing if you just steal your flag from the Dutch.

edit: I'm a silly double-poster

drew's jokes NEVER do

i feel like he sneaks in at least one joke like that per episode and no one ever acknowledges it lol
its pretty hilarious

Isn't their refusal to acknowledge Drew's jokes, a part of his jokes?

I don't like GoW, but I will go to bat for the jawesome boss-fights at the least. Spectacle done very, very right.

drew's jokes NEVER do

its pretty hilarious

He had like 5 in this one.

Protome

Count me in with the "I don't like God Of War" side of things.
I've tried to play each game and none of them grabbed me. I prefer the "Stylish" style of action game like the DMCs and Bayonettas of the world. God of War just feels pretty shallow in comparison.

Which is fine. It's just not my thing.

"Not 24 hours ago..." was super funny.

Lothars

Sales don't make a game good.
Like Destiny.

Sure a bunch of people bought both of those but, that doesn't mean everyone has to agree with it.

Also Brad don't bother with the timestamps.
God of war series is fantastic as is Destiny.

Nobody has to agree with it but that doesn't mean you are right saying they are garbage.

I am getting far too much enjoyment from Jeff's "not 24 hours ago" thing.

I assume he cleaning up his garage or something (especially with the mention of special editions lol).

Also GOW is just dumb fun so i agree with Dan on that part.

The whole story and Kratos being cool is where i draw the line because they ain't (story of the 1st game was decent at least but then the rest where fucking trash)

Tagyhag

Blown away that people need timestamps. I'm usually doing 3 things at once when listening to the Bombcast and I never get lost.

ArcLyte

It's annoying that there's such a hard line between stuff Jeff thinks is cool/alright and stuff he thinks is lame. But that's fine, he's his own person with his own opinions. What's really annoying is how Brads knee jerk reaction is to agree with him on most of these judgements, and that full-stop shuts down a lot of potentially interesting conversations.

I bought a zojirushi because of the bombcast. Amazing product. I am too old for
Lootcrate too young to get a mattress and I don't need a website.

That said I am craving Taco Bell.

yup bought my first zojirushi because of the bombcast, now i have a few and got friends to get them too.

Everytime Dan talks about fast food, I end up getting a craving, its freaking terrible lol

As far as I'm aware, there've only been two episodes that haven't been on time and both of those were early (on time = 00:00:00 - 23:59:59 on Tuesdays, Pacific Time).

SlickVic

I think the thing I like most about Dan is even if his own world view is challenged, I honestly don't think he takes personal offense from it. As much as he might act shocked or surprised, he typically doesn't get mad or throw a fit at the others when they disagree (if he did, the podcast would get pretty awkward in a hurry and he'd be a pretty bad fit for GB). You could say he just repeats himself over and over, but honestly, these are just his opinions, and I don't think he needs to change the way he feels about Kratos as a character for example because Jeff and Brad don't approve. With regards to that particular discussion, I'm not really sure Dan was even being super serious about Kratos being a good or interesting character beyond the fact that he felt he fits well in the role of "dude crazy enough to try and kill gods". I can see Dan appreciating the merits of GoW primarily on the basis that he thinks the games are a ton of fun to play, and I can certainly respect that.

More generally, I also appreciate that he can lightheartedly be the voice of dissent at time, especially when Brad and Jeff wind up being on the same side of many issues/opinions on various game (unless it GOTY time, then it's Brad vs the world)

I know this is like 3 days late, but I was making a joke because I am pretty sure you guys used that as the actual reason years ago when Ryan was hosting and made light of it.

But since you wanted to be all grumpy about it, sure, I think it should be a thing you do. Much smaller podcasts than yours do it and manage to avoid blurting out spoilers inappropriately like you have done many times in the past (and then turned your nose up at people who got upset about it like it was their fault for your cavalier attitude.)

I mean come the fuck on dude, this keeps happening almost every time an anticipated games comes out and you don't seem to give a shit at all. At least a time stamp (doesn't even have to be for the whole podcast) for when you are about to talk spoilers would work to avoid that. I hope you can at least see where I am coming from on that one. It wouldn't be a whole lot of extra work to scrub up to where you think the conversation on a game starts and then when it ends and put it in the show notes. Certainly not 3 hours worth of work.

Umm, good? I don't like the facetious tone but this would be a good move.
Thanks CambriaRising!

I'm not sure what he took offense to being his reasoning was literally "it's more work". Like..duh.

Harlock

Boy you know what's annoying? When they mention a game once and then refer to it as "this game" for the rest of the discussion. I wasn't listening for a few seconds, zone back in on the interesting plot line of a game where you're aware that you're in a game and then for the rest of the discussion I'm left wondering how far back was the named mentioned because I don't really want to jump around in the podcast looking for it.

This happen with me a lot of times with a lot of podcasts. Is something people in the podcast can´t be aware that maybe you mis the game name when was said and the dudes are talking 5 minutes about it without saying the name again.

About God of War I don´t understand why the same people who like over the top movies gets annoyed with games that do the same.

Top Bottom