• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girlfriend has tried everything to lose weight but to no avail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two weeks is an incredibly small window. The only way to truly lose weight is to take in less calories than you burn off. High fat/low carb is actually healthier in small doses.

andycapps

The real problem is that peanut butter, butter, and cheese consist of nearly 1/4 or of her calories. (well I'm just guessing that's why people are targeting it)

Yeah thats what I thought at first too, I was like well this is a shitty article why even post it lol.

The problem is that I think they're talking about those because of some outdated idea of fat being bad.

If she's a vegetarian, she has to get some protein (though neglible in those foods) from somewhere. If I were the OP I'd have her introduce some whey protein post Insanity workout.

Moppet13

Nothing wrong with fat dude. You have no idea what you are talking about
Obviously. Tell that to everyone else targeting her diet. I am just saying that's why I think everyone else is doing it. Speculation really.

The problem is that I think they're talking about those because of some outdated idea of fat being bad.

If she's a vegetarian, she has to get some protein (though neglible in those foods) from somewhere. If I were the OP I'd have her introduce some whey protein post Insanity workout.
Wouldn't throwing some rice and beans into work well too? We all know peanut butter is a poor but delicious source of protein.

andycapps

I'm confused as to why you're so set on trying to convince her to eat meat if she's trying to stay with a vegetarian diet. If anything, by her adopting a more vegan lifestyle and replacing a lot of those fattier foods with vegetables (which she's eating almost none of), more fruit, beans, and whole grains (such as brown rice, quinoa, etc.) will result in weight loss. The avocado isn't a bad form of fat, but she could probably do without the butter, cheese in the eggs, and replacing the eggs with egg whites.

Almost everything you say in this post is incorrect. I mean, the beans are good for her. Avocados are really good. Eating only egg whites is a waste and you're losing most of the nutrients. Veggies are good, types of fruit are good, whole grains should be limited.

Yeah. Again, I really appreciate the info but some of you are misinformed. Check out weight loss gaf for more info but nothing is wrong with fat. Her diet is low carb, and her carbs are complex. Every cell in your body usse fat as energy. Fat being bad is a straight up myth. And only certain vegetable and fruits are even good for you. What i'm talking from this thread:

--Eat what she's eating
--Drink more water (she doesn't get enough_
--Get a tape measure
--Continue with insanity and muscle weighs more than fat

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Yeah. Again, I really appreciate the info but some of you are misinformed. Check out weight loss gaf for more info but nothing is wrong with fat. Her diet is low carb, and her carbs are complex. Every cell in your body usse fat as energy. Fat being bad is a straight up myth. And only certain vegetable and fruits are even good for you. What i'm talking from this thread:

--Eat what she's eating
--Get a tape measure

I'd say most importantly, don't check weight or measurements at all, except once every 3-4 weeks.

I bet she hasn't tried low carb... or better then that fasting. Alternative Day fasting or Intermittent Fasting. Do some research, if you wanna help her and if shes really real about losing the weight then she will get there.

It's all about eating less, don't be fooled by that whole six small meals bull shit. Look up Brad Pilon

andycapps

--Eat what she's eating
--Get a tape measure

Basically. I'd try to introduce more protein via whey protein or other sources.

I did Insanity for quite a while without seeing any results on the scale. My body was changing though. One thing that I've had some success with recently is just changing things up. I've been riding my bike for about 15 miles several times a week now instead of Insanity on those days. I've also done fasted workouts where I fast until after work and then I do a low intensity workout and carry on with the rest of my day. You don't do that every day, at all... I've been doing it one, maybe two days a week. Seems to have kickstarted something in my body again. Heck, there are some people that fast 16-17 hours a day, every day from what I understand. Fitness GAF and the Weight Loss thread are your friends here.

Just looking at her diet, she should really eat more vegetables, especially greens. Collards, Spinach, Broccoli, etc... Is there some reason she's avoiding them so heavily? She just thinks they're gross? Looks like she's just eating tons of "Benefiber".

Good source of fiber and protein without the calories and fat. Not to mention all the vitamins and minerals.

--Eat what she's eating
--Get a tape measure

Too much fat is still bad for you no matter what. Everything in moderation is best, and from what you've posted she is eating way too much fat.

Az

As far as I know from personal results, 2 weeks is normal not to lose weight. It takes some time for the body to get used to the new diet.

Also, looking at the meal plan, get rid of the cheese for breakfast or maybe substitute it for cottage cheese. If she does add meat buy her some turkey slices to make sandwiches.

Oh yea and what does she drink throughout the day, not sure if you listed that. Even fruit juices can be sugar and calorie bombs.

MANGOD

Banned
After skimming through the diet you posted the only thing I can say is holy carbs and fat batman. Thats your problem right there. Try a diet split of 40% protein 40% carbs and 20% fats. And yeah only eating 3 meals a day aint helping much, aim to hit 5 or 6 times a day.

Week-to-week numbers mean very little and day-to-day numbers mean basically nothing, especially since she just started exercising and is probably building a little muscle as she goes. Weigh in once every couple weeks, at most. Weight loss takes time.

dralla

Show her this picture

Deb155lbs.jpg

and yea, just ignore the anti-fat advice. sounds like she's eating well. I'd add veggies because the're good for you and taste good when covered in butter or cheese or olive oil..mmm, plateaus are a natural part of weight loss, just give it some time

LuchaShaq

Banned
I tell her that she needs to eat more and more frequently throughout the day.

Myth based on zero facts.

I know many people (even a male model who has an insane body) that only eats one gigantic meal at night and nothing else.

Calories in/calories out is 95% of it for anyone who doesn't have a serious medical condition.

Day to day weight changes are literally worthless statistically and week to week can still fluctuate wildly.

Mikey Jr.

Is she eating salt? I see a lot of foods on there that someone would put salt on.

Eggs, avocado, potato.

Peanut Butter has sodium too.

Cutting sodium out completely could help her see some results.

Almost everything you say in this post is incorrect. I mean, the beans are good for her. Avocados are really good. Eating only egg whites is a waste and you're losing most of the nutrients. Veggies are good, types of fruit are good, whole grains should be limited.

You're agreeing with me that more vegetables and a more varied selection of fruit is good, that beans and avocados are good. That whole grains should be limited (but not ignored). And I don't really have an opinion on the eggs as I don't eat them either way, I was just suggesting that cutting that yolks may result in weight loss.

But why would you still attempt to write off everything by saying that almost everything I've said is incorrect? Hyperbole, possibly, but I really don't think my advice was that piss-poor. Just trying to help like everyone else.

--Eat what she's eating
--Get a tape measure

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle is equal to a pound of fat.

As others have mentioned, go by what she looks like as opposed to what the scale says. PB is fine as is the other fats you have listed.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Is she eating salt? I see a lot of foods on there that someone would put salt on.

Eggs, avocado, potato.

Peanut Butter has sodium too.

Cutting sodium out completely could help her see some results.

....unless you or your family have documented issues with blood pressure salt isn't a big deal unless you are drinking salt water every meal.

MrHicks

Banned
i envy fat people
atleast you can get in decent shape if you try hard enough

im pretty skinny and i CANT gain weight
some sort of fast metabolism or something

i eat tons of fries/burgers all the fatty food you can imagine and i gain like 1KG MAX
ugh

i envy fat people

i eat tons of fries/burgers all the fatty food you can imagine and i gain like 1KG MAX
ugh

How many calories are you eating a day? How much do you weigh and how active are you?

Gazzawa

ugh

try eating actual food bro.
As for the OP theres alot of carbs in that diet. More meals with more protein and less carbs.
2 weeks is too short.
6 weeks for noticeable loss.

scy

Weight Loss threads have so much disparity from post-to-post...

Maybe you should hide the scales and only pull them out every 4 weeks.

Probably some of the best advice, really. Helps so much mentally to just not be checking constantly and working yourself into a "oh nos, it's doing nothing!" frenzy.

Futureman

well she's tried for 2 weeks. I guess she should give up....

Diet isn't some band aid. It's a lifestyle change. Keep it up.

I'm no expert, but one of the biggest keys to weight loss is drinking a lot of water. I'm not saying replace anything with water, just make sure to drink 48+ ounces a dayin addition to what she's eating. Water helps your body get rid of the bad crap that's in it. Not only that it helps to keep you active and more energized.

Another thing is the benefiber... I'm not exactly sure how that works, but I would personally say she should be eating high fiber vegetables and not taking supplements 3x a day. Vegetables such as celery, broccoli, green beans, carrots, peas, are low calorie and have a good amount of fiber. The green stuff is usually the best. It would also help your body keep its fiber to fullness ratio a little better, so it might curb her appetite a bit more.

Dilly

Banned
It took me a year to get to my weight, why would you already worry after 2 weeks?

Also, check fat percentage, not weight.

SRG01

The trick is not to eat less food, it is to Eat MORE healthy food.

Instead of eating sandwiches, cheese slices, peanut butter, protein powder, etc.

EAT VEGETABLES AND FRUITS. TONS OF THEM. Drink green smoothies. Stop eating grains altogether.

Fruits should be occasional with measured proportions. Fructose is really bad for you and is only balanced out by the presence of fiber.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

ugh

Sounds like you've exhausted all possible options to gain weight.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

--Eat what she's eating
--Get a tape measure

stop weighing every day

Too much fat is still bad for you no matter what. Everything in moderation is best, and from what you've posted she is eating way too much fat.

Again. Not true. I'm not trying to be a dick. It's a myth. Fat keeps your body going like a well oiled machine. Eating too much of anything and not being active is where people run into problems. And no she isn't eating any salt. But her water consumption leaves much to be desired. And she is getting plenty of fiber from her avocados, flax seeds, blax berries, and low carb pitas, and shakes. I didn't pull this plan out of my ass. It's a culmination of what i've learned from weight gain and weight loss gaf from over two years as I've both tried to gain muscle and loss weight. She eats salads every now and then but any real nutrition that a veggie can provide she gets from a multivitamin.

Edit: And no she hasn't been trying for two weeks. It's more like months actually. But i thought that with insanity more changes would be apparent. She just started insanity two weeks ago. She's gonna put away the scale and stick with it.

andycapps

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle is equal to a pound of fat.

As others have mentioned, go by what she looks like as opposed to what the scale says. PB is fine as is the other fats you have listed.

The same amount of mass of muscle weighs more than the same amount of mass of fat. I believe that's what people are saying. It's possible to lose large amounts of fat and look much better, yet weigh the same.

Thingonthefloor said:
You're agreeing with me that more vegetables and a more varied selection of fruit is good, that beans and avocados are good. That whole grains should be limited (but not ignored). And I don't really have an opinion on the eggs as I don't eat them either way, I was just suggesting that cutting that yolks may result in weight loss.

But why would you still attempt to write off everything by saying that almost everything I've said is incorrect? Hyperbole, possibly, but I really don't think my advice was that piss-poor. Just trying to help like everyone else.

There's just a lot of misinformation in this thread, and I hope that the OP is tuning most of it out. Veggies aren't bad at all, and the OP needs to introduce some of the right ones to his girlfriend. As far as reducing the cheese or butter, I'd disagree with that. Eggs are also a great source of cheap, tasty protein.

i envy fat people

ugh

count the number of calories you're eating. you will be surprised when it's not actually that high. Skinny guys always are like this.

i envy fat people

ugh
You're eating tons of fat and tons of carbs, getting very little nutrition, but you probably aren't eating enough calories. Count calories and make them higher, if you don't want to have a heart attack in 5 years then make them healthy too.

try eating actual food bro.
As for the OP theres alot of carbs in that diet. More meals with more protein and less carbs.
2 weeks is too short.
6 weeks for noticeable loss.

Not really. Less than 100carbs a day is great for weight loss. At most she hits that a day. The sandwhich bread has 5net carbs and her shake is with unsweetened almond milk. Sweet potato has a lot of carbs but they are complex and very good for you.

Zoe

She eats salads every now and then but any real nutrition that a veggie can provide she gets from a multivitamin.

Not everybody can process multivitamins effectively. She should be trying to get those nutrients from as many real sources as possible.

(I'm a little confused how someone can want to be a vegetarian without wanting to eat vegetables)

You should have a weigh in at the end of each week. It's a better way of gauging progress.

Checking the weight each day is pointless and demoralising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom