• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawyer says Ohio killer's execution botched; took over 20 minutes for man to die

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/Lawyer-says-Ohio-killer-s-execution-was-botched-5147631.php

LUCASVILLE, Ohio (AP) — A condemned man appeared to gasp several times and took an unusually long time to die — more than 20 minutes — in an execution carried out Thursday with a combination of drugs never before tried in the U.S.

Dennis McGuire's attorney Allen Bohnert called the convicted killer's execution "a failed, agonizing experiment" and added: "The people of the state of Ohio should be appalled at what was done here today in their names."

McGuire's lawyers had attempted last week to halt his execution, arguing that the untried method could lead to a medical phenomenon known as "air hunger" and cause him to suffer "agony and terror" while struggling to catch his breath.

McGuire, 53, made loud snorting noises during one of the longest executions since Ohio resumed capital punishment in 1999. Nearly 25 minutes passed between the time the lethal drugs began flowing and McGuire was pronounced dead at 10:53 a.m.

Ohio prisons spokeswoman JoEllen Smith had no comment on how the execution proceeded but said a review will be conducted as usual.

Prison officials used intravenous doses of two drugs, the sedative midazolam and the painkiller hydromorphone, to put McGuire to death for the 1989 rape and fatal stabbing of a pregnant newlywed, Joy Stewart.

The method was adopted after supplies of a previously used drug dried up because the manufacturer declared it off limits for capital punishment.

Executions with the former method were typically much shorter and did not cause the kind of sounds McGuire uttered.

The execution is certain to launch a new round of federal lawsuits over Ohio's injection procedure. The state has five more executions scheduled this year, with the next one to come on Feb. 19.

What was particularly unusual Thursday was the five minutes or so that McGuire lay motionless on the gurney after the drugs began flowing, followed by a sudden snort and then more than 10 minutes of irregular breathing and gasping. Normally, movement comes at the beginning and is followed by inactivity.

"Oh, my God," his daughter, Amber McGuire, said as she observed her father's final moments.

In pressing for the execution to go ahead, Assistant Ohio Attorney General Thomas Madden had argued that while the U.S. Constitution bans cruel and unusual punishment, "you're not entitled to a pain-free execution."

U.S. District Judge Gregory Frost sided with the state. But at the request of McGuire's lawyers, he ordered officials to photograph and preserve the drug vials and packaging and the syringes.

A few minutes before McGuire was put to death, Ohio prison director Gary Mohr said he believed the state's planning would produce "a humane, dignified execution" consistent with the law.

PJV3

In pressing for the execution to go ahead, Assistant Ohio Attorney General Thomas Madden had argued that while the U.S. Constitution bans cruel and unusual punishment, "you're not entitled to a pain-free execution."

Cunt.

Absolutely grotesque.

Edit:

Cunt.
Fuck that guy. I often wonder how many people with that mindset simply found a legal way to act out their own impulses.

So he raped and killed a PREGNANT newly-wed, no pity here, actually kind of glad. Just imagining my wife going through that is enough to justify it.

I don't understand why they don't just sedate people (like they do for surgeries and the like) and then kill them. I mean, wouldn't that be easier?

Giggzy

Completely inhumane way to die.

At the same time though.... He raped and killed a pregnant woman, and then tried to blame it on another family member.... Yeah no sympathy here.

Ithil

Cunt.

Did he just more or less say "cruel and unusual punishment is banned, but uh, let's do it anyway"?

Aim_Ed

So he raped and killed a PREGNANT newly-wed, no pity here, actually kind of glad. Just imagining my wife going through that is enough to justify it.

As much as I hate his actions, this kind of thought is gross to me. (I'm not a fan of the death penalty, or forcing people to suffer.)

Aurongel

While his crime might be terrible, there's no reason his execution should be any more painful than another inmate's.

I have mixed feelings about the death penalty, I feel like my stance on it changes every few months.

Dennis

Banned
Absurd and grotesque.

Either give them a massive overdose that stops their heart immediately or just put a couple of bullets in their brain.

shoplifter

This has been in the news here for the last several months. Let me be the first to say that I'm utterly shocked that it turned out like this.

johnsmith

remember me
Even though I'm against the death penalty and would have been fine having him rot in solitary for the rest of his life, I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for a murderer and rapist.

Why on Earth would you use untried experimental drugs for an execution? Did the old ones leave something to be desired?

This is what I asked too. The OP mentions one of the old drugs is no longer allowed to be used for this by way of the manufacturer.
But yeah, I predict bans too. ABANDON THREAD

Forever

Banned

I support the death penalty in theory (though not in its current implementation), but torture as an instrument of the state is more dangerous than any one man could ever be.

LordCanti

Why on Earth would you use untried experimental drugs for an execution? Did the old ones leave something to be desired?

I think they're having trouble getting the tried and tested drugs, or else those drugs have such necessity in medicine that using them in lethal injections makes it more difficult to import them from countries that have outlawed executions.

I don't understand why they don't just sedate people (like they do for surgeries and the like) and then kill them. I mean, wouldn't that be easier?

I don't get it either. I've been anesthetized and it's like the past X amount of minutes/hours never existed when you finally wake up. It seems like doing that and then...I don't know...having a machine cut off oxygen or something would be an effective and painless way to do it.

PJV3

Did he just more or less say "cruel and unusual punishment is banned, but uh, let's do it anyway"?

Yeah, I don't agree with the death penalty but the US has ways of doing it without that level of suffering, were supposed to be civil and better than that.

I think we as a society should be above touture or the acts of criminals in the name of justice. This guy having a terrible, painful death doesn't undo what he did.

I think we should do away with the death penalty but if we are going to have it, follow the rules set in place. This was absolutely cruel and unusual.

zma1013

Answer is in the article.

"The method was adopted after supplies of a previously used drug dried up because the manufacturer declared it off limits for capital punishment."

He slit the throat of a pregnant woman... fuck this dude. Who gives a shit if he didn't go out peacefully.

The first problem is that execution itself is a flawed concept given the fact that innocent people have lost their lives to this process. If we then add in the notion that they should undergo excruciating pain whilst being executed, it becomes a slippery slope indeed.

I think they're having trouble getting the tried and tested drugs, or else those drugs have such necessity in medicine that using them in lethal injections makes it more difficult to import them from countries that have outlawed executions.

Yeah, I asked the same thing above, but the answer is actually in the article:

The method was adopted after supplies of a previously used drug dried up because the manufacturer declared it off limits for capital punishment.

Pretty strange.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I don't support death penalty.

But for some reason after reading the crime he committed, I had a big smile in my face knowing that he suffered. In fact, I wouldn't mind if it is longer. Revenge is too sweet.

I support the death penalty in theory (though not in its current implementation), but torture as an instrument of the state is more dangerous than any one man could ever be.

This is true, I dont actually condone eye for an eye, I just got carried away when I saw what he did, hits way too close to home.

Interesting that some manufacturers are taking a stand against the death penalty in such a way. I always took that for granted and assumed the chemicals were manufactured by the state.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Not surprised that it was lethal injection. That and the electric chair are too unreliable.

It's extremely gross and wouldn't wish it on all but the worst of the worst, but guillotine is probably the most effective and quickest way to end it.

Wazzy

Banned
That's a horrible execution method but I don't sympathize with the killer at all. My problem lies completely with the way that killed him rather than his suffering.

I don't support the death penalty for reasons like this.

I don't get it either. I've been anesthetized and it's like the past X amount of minutes/hours never existed when you finally wake up. It seems like doing that and then...I don't know...having a machine cut off oxygen or something would be an effective and painless way to do it.

People are always going on and on about more humane executions and that would be the simplest choice. Is it because they want them to still suffer a little? I don't know.

LordCanti

Interesting that some manufacturers are taking a stand against the death penalty in such a way. I always took that for granted and assumed the chemicals were manufactured by the state.

They're taking a stand against their products being used in the same sentence as capital punishment. I doubt they have any particular stance on the death penalty at all.

Zizbuka

Banned
So he suffered a tiny fraction of the pain he inflicted on the pregnant woman? I'm having trouble drawing up any pity.

Mondy

Banned

Cunt.

Wow, what a bitter arsehole.

This is why giving the state the ability to kill people in the name of justice is a terrible idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom