• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawyer says Ohio killer's execution botched; took over 20 minutes for man to die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leunam

I heard about this the other day on NPR. My first thought was what if it went wrong and this combination wasn't as effective as previous drugs.

I don't support death penalty.

But for some reason after reading the crime he committed, I had a big smile in my face knowing that he suffered. In fact, I wouldn't mind if it is longer. Revenge is too sweet.

It actually sounds like you support the death penalty.

Pretty sure the pregnant girl died with more pain and terror than he did.

No fucks given.
this isn't about sympathy for a murderer or "giving fucks" as it were. Its about how we have agreed as a society to deal with people on death row and how the attorney general of Ohio was out of line with what he said. What a fucked up presidence that could set

studyguy

Crime aside, if you intend to follow executions to the letter of the law, you had best do it. It's hard to find pity for a man accused of what he did but still, you don't just shrug your shoulders and wash your hands of the constitution then call it a day after something like that happens. The reaction I understand from the general public, but from an Attorney General I expect a bit more.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
These are the reasons why I've changed my stance from for to against the death penalty. I don't want my name tied to that.

What would be your stance if they changed the carrying out of capital punishment to more proven methods?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I wonder why they don't use something like a lethal dose of morphine. There have to be tons of ways to chemically kill someone. Why use the way that would leave them struggling to breathe for 10 minutes instead of just using one that allows them to drift off and their heart to stop.

So he raped and killed a PREGNANT newly-wed, no pity here, actually kind of glad. Just imagining my wife going through that is enough to justify it.

I'm not glad, ideally his death would just be death. But I do think people that rape and murder should be put down. Efficiently and as pain free as possible.

I'm not horribly upset about this given his crime. Dude didn't get killed cause he didn't pay his parking tickets....

Being sentenced to death is punishment enough, but 20 minutes of suffering compared to how long the victims have suffered might seem like a wash.

Either way this is an ugly situation.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
My wife is pregnant and newlywed, and we are going to name our son Lucas.

If I was superstitious, I don't even know what I'd come away from this story thinking.

LaNaranja

Strapped to a gurney in the execution chamber, McGuire thanked Stewart's family for their "kind words" in a letter he apparently received from them.

"We have forgiven him, but that does not negate the need for him to pay for his actions," Stewart's family said in a statement after the execution.

This makes no sense to me. Does this make sense to anyone else?

Hal: Okay, boys, okay. Now, what in the hell happened?
Paul: An execution. A successful one.
Hal: How in the name of Christ can you call that a success?
Paul: Eduard Delacroix is dead. [looks at Percy] Isn't he?

dankir

The first problem is that execution itself is a flawed concept given the fact that innocent people have lost their lives to this process. If we then add in the notion that they should undergo excruciating pain whilst being executed, it becomes a slippery slope indeed.

And what about his victim??? I can't imagine her death was swift and painless? He's dead now so no point in talking it about it further.

BFIB

I'm not against the death penalty, but to sit and watch someone gasping for air for 10 minutes, no matter what he did, would be hard to watch.

But, if anything, it sounds like the family found peace in the end, considering they wrote a letter to the murderer.

Takuan

My gut says "don't give a fuck about a convicted violent murder-rapist", but I think if I was present at the execution I'd feel some pangs of sympathy.

Nothing they feel will makes sense to anyone who hasn't been in their position. It's easy to sit atop a high horse and make judgments on people who want justice for murdered loved ones and call them barbaric. It's OK to simply not want those people to exist anymore.

Completely inhumane way to die.

At the same time though.... He raped and killed a pregnant woman, and then tried to blame it on another family member.... Yeah no sympathy here.

Yup.

Why are we experimenting if there are drugs we know do the job just fine?

From the article:
The method was adopted after supplies of a previously used drug dried up because the manufacturer declared it off limits for capital punishment.

It's extremely gross and wouldn't wish it on all but the worst of the worst, but guillotine is probably the most effective and quickest way to end it.

Probably.

I'm sure there is some history of it available to read but why is it that we've come to pretty much only using lethal injection for the death penalty in the US? I know hanging, the electric chair and gas can be seen as cruel or unusual but when you read about something like this with lethal injection, that seems just as bad.

Why not something like the guillotine or firing squad? Do they not want an individual acting as an "executioner" or something and having that weighing on them? Yet, whoever ok'd this drug cocktail and dosage would likely have as much guilt weighing on their conscience as somebody executing somebody via firing squad or something.

It's disturbing and it's not right but if I was the parent of the murder victim I don't know if I could feel any sort of remorse for McGuire. I'd probably hope for a more painful execution.

The best part though is that he believes in a heaven and that he gets entry to it.

The first drug that was administered was a sedative, dude was knocked out. Convulsions while unconscious don't strike me as suffering. Ohio set out to execute a rapist-murderer and achieve the goal using the drugs that were available.

Perhaps people should be mad at the European chemical companies who have put a ban on supplying drugs for lethal injections (which have been used successfully for decades)?

Ahasverus

Execution itself seems primitive to me (a human life is too valuable for me, even if it's a "fiend" killing him is getting to its level in my opinion) but now this, this is just savagery.

Stet

Banned
So he raped and killed a PREGNANT newly-wed, no pity here, actually kind of glad. Just imagining my wife going through that is enough to justify it.

He slit the throat of a pregnant woman... fuck this dude. Who gives a shit if he didn't go out peacefully.

felt bad until I read what he did.

Pretty sure the pregnant girl died with more pain and terror than he did.

No fucks given.

Yep.....fuck the guy...probably shouldnt use this method again but I feel no pity for the man

So he suffered a tiny fraction of the pain he inflicted on the pregnant woman? I'm having trouble drawing up any pity.

Yep. No fucks are given here.

Lol same.

And he still suffered less than the woman he killed.

So like others have said, fuck him.

Felt bad until I read what he did.

This was an untried execution method that failed. You are all advocating using death penalty convicts as experimental test subjects against their will.

studyguy

Perhaps people should be mad at the European chemical companies who have put a ban on supplying drugs for lethal injections (which have been used successfully for decades)?

I don't know, getting mad at a company who's prerogative probably isn't to be associated with executions is difficult to do. I don't blame the company, but the general situation is disturbing nonetheless. I wouldn't claim to know anything beyond what the story lets us know, but then again, I wouldn't subject people watching an execution to something experimental either should things go south like they did.

zma1013

You can forgive someone for doing something wrong while expecting them to face the consequences.

This was an untried execution method that failed. You are all advocating using death penalty convicts as experimental test subjects against their will.

I didn't see anyone there saying they support it, just that they didn't feel bad for the guy that it happened. One person in those you quoted even said they shouldn't use the method again.

akira28

So you subject yourself to the images of personal suffering to justify the suffering of another? Seems about right :)

They are simply more disgusted at the original crime than the botched death penalty. I don't think they are advocating anything just speaking out based on emotion.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Y'all are pretty quick to completely throw out the constitution when it comes to anything other than the NSA looking at your browser search history.

Seth C

Yup. On the one hand, not acceptable. On the other, why the fuck should I care? It was still far more civilized than the death he dealt his victim. In the end, I just can't be bothered to feel sorry for him.

Simply put? I'm of the opinion that he sacrificed his rights the moment his "will" led him to rape and murder a pregnant woman. Prior, I would have cared. That's the moment I no longer cared about his opinion because he stole the life of an innocent.

Alchemy

This guy was a horrible piece of shit, and I won't argue that putting him to death wasn't right (or wrong), but a fucking bullet to the brain would have been more humane. We should at least try just a little not to be horrible monsters ourselves and make people suffer.

Zhengi

Prison officials used intravenous doses of two drugs, the sedative midazolam and the painkiller hydromorphone, to put McGuire to death for the 1989 rape and fatal stabbing of a pregnant newlywed, Joy Stewart.

Seems like they need to up the dosage to make sure the criminals are really sedated and won't be feeling pain.

Heyt

Banned
After reading his charges that thing about not being entitled to a pain-free execution makes a little more sense.

LaNaranja

You can forgive someone for doing something wrong while expecting them to face the consequences.

But the way they phrased it seems off. "We have forgiven him but he still needs to die because…….."

it is the right thing to do?
it will make us feel better?
he deserves it?

:/

KingGondo

Banned
The issue isn't whether the person in question deserved to die or suffer. If he did what he was convicted of, then it's reasonable to conclude that he did.

The relevant question is whether we as a society are OK with a flawed criminal justice system that results in disproportionate conviction and execution of minorities, inconsistent and sometimes torturous methods of execution, and the always looming and disturbing possibility of wrongful executions.

I don't feel much sympathy for the guy, but that doesn't mean what he went through is right. As a supposedly just society, we should be above eye for an eye-style punishments.

Is this related to that propofol thing? How hard is it to kill someone? Just give him some pentobarbital and get it over with fast and easy.

(I'm against the death penalty though, so I'd obviously choose not to kill him if I was in charge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom