• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawyer says Ohio killer's execution botched; took over 20 minutes for man to die

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know how to feel about this. Essentially torturing the guy before killing him is pretty barbaric for a civilized society but hes a giant piece of shit so I felt zero sympathy for him suffering. Feels like death penalty in general was an easy exit for him.

FStop7

Banned
I'm opposed to capital punishment in general, but I've always wondered about lethal injection.

Why is it so complex?

Couldn't they just give the person being executed general anesthesia and then something to stop his heart? Wouldn't an overdose of a powerful opiate like Fentanyl do the job?

Kuroyume

Banned
Hard for me to not think lowly of people who feel a man should be executed this way. The man deserved punishment but you would think society would find a better way to deal with criminals than sinking to their level. I think you have to be a sociopath to be in favor of this.

Skeyser

Fucked up that they tried untested drug.

But yeah, after what he did I can't say that I give the slightest fuck about him suffering.

Nothing promotes a drug or a chemical like "IT KILLS PEOPLE" for the world to see.
Let me clarify. What you've quoted was intended to point out that Ohio executed someone with the tools they had available. I do not take issue with Ohio or the drug companies who have refuse to sell barbiturates for use in lethal injections. I take issue with killers.

pompidu

Hard for me to not think lowly of people who feel a man should be executed this way. The man deserved punishment but you would think society would find a better way to deal with criminals than sinking to their level. I think you have to be a sociopath to be in favor of this.

what would be a fair punishment?

FyreWulff

ITT people know 100% sure the executed was guilty.

Executions are barbaric and this is just further proof of how barbaric they are. The state should not be interested in carrying out emotion-based petty revenge. They're in the punishment and rehabilitation business, not forcing medical personnel to kill another human being.

I wonder why they don't use something like a lethal dose of morphine. There have to be tons of ways to chemically kill someone. Why use the way that would leave them struggling to breathe for 10 minutes instead of just using one that allows them to drift off and their heart to stop.

They used hydromorphone which is just a derivative of morphine.

I'm wondering if the guy was even conscious when he was gasping for breath or whether he was already knocked out from the combo of the midazolam and hydromorphone?

Stet

Banned
I agree but that doesn't mean they are advocating for experimentation.

There simply isn't any sympathy for the executed...

This was an experiment. They tested a new method of execution on him despite his appeals against them, and it failed spectacularly. That the end result was his death shouldn't mean this was in any way a victory for justice, since justice was inherently failed by the method.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Did he just more or less say "cruel and unusual punishment is banned, but uh, let's do it anyway"?

That's not more or less what he said. That's exactly what he said.

I think you have to be a sociopath to rape and murder a pregnant woman and her unborn child.

To be fair if given the choice between an agonizing death and a quick clean death for this guy I'd select the latter. No need to rampant bloodlust. But I'm just saying I'm not going to lose sleep over his gasping for 20 minutes. Odds are it's his body shutting down and he wasn't conscious anyways. Ideally the state should use proven drugs to administer the death penalty with.

LordCanti

Don't most religions preach that sins can be absolved if you're truly repentant?

I don't know about most, but some Christian sects believe in forgiveness of sin through Christ for the repentant, sure.

There's also the whole "Thou shalt not kill" thing though, which makes his chances somewhat less than certain.

What the hell, people are actually defending this?

One guy being terrible doesn't give us a free pass to be equally terrible. Fucking hell.

Karma's a bitch. In this case, I'm with those who says he deserved it. He raped and stabbed to death a newlywed pregnant woman. He ruined more than one life by doing so. This kind of shit, there's just no turning back, no atonement possible for it.

Mononoke

Banned
In my criminology class we watched a British documentary where a man traveled the states to find the most efficient and pain free way to execute someone. They showed all the various research into executions and even examined how different states do it now. He finally found a way that was efficient and pain free (I forget what the method was exactly. Had to do we a NASA/pilot like machine where it spins the person in circles until they pass out). It had to do with gravity and speed. But if you continue past them passing out they will die. The host tried it to the point of passing out and said it felt pleasant like laughing gas.

So he concluded this was the most humane way to do it. It was quick. It didn't make the person suffer. So when he presented his findings to this lady that runs executions for her state she said: "why should a criminal be afforded the luxury of a quick and pain free death, let alone a death that feels good before they die".

The point of the documentary (or rather how it ends), is that he didn't factor in that people want their criminals to suffer. That even though he found the most efficient and humane way to execute, it didn't matter because it was too kind to the criminal.

It was a fascinating watch.

Executions are barbaric and this is just further proof of how barbaric they are. The state should not be interested in carrying out emotion-based petty revenge. They're in the punishment and rehabilitation business, not forcing medical personnel to kill another human being.
This.

You would think that in two thousand and fucking fourteen people would have some sense of what ethics are good for humanity and what aren't. The ethics of revenge make us barbarians, and do nothing for the betterment of society.

NotLiquid

Reading this I instantly thought of the execution scene in Law Abiding Citizen.

This is a really fucked up way to go but at the same time I can't sympathize with someone as inhumane as the killer.

FyreWulff

And had they done so intentionally, as HE did, I'd find issue with this. As it stands they didn't and in either case, he deserved worse than what he got. So...

You know that he did the crime for sure? Our justice system suddenly became perfect?

Are you fine with the thought that there is a reasonable chance they just forced medical personnel to kill an innocent man?

This was an untried execution method that failed. You are all advocating using death penalty convicts as experimental test subjects against their will.
What failed? Dude is dead. There is no proof he was conscious during the body convulsions & gasping that is being reported. The first drug that was administered was a heavy sedative. He went to sleep and died.

Requiem

This was an experiment. They tested a new method of execution on him despite his appeals against them, and it failed spectacularly. That the end result was his death shouldn't mean this was in any way a victory for justice, since justice was inherently failed by the method.

I don't disagree with anything you said.

All I'm saying is the posters you quoted aren't advocating this type of execution...nothing more, nothing less

Who decides that's fair though? You? The state? Humanity? It's a very gray area...

Those who understand that humans are fallible and can sometimes imprison and execute innocent people? Adding to that the fact that you could be tortured before death based on this case, as a moral person I don't know how anyone could advocate this?

that is too lenient. that is not fair to the husband who lost a wife and child. he only loses freedom.

So the husband gains something by the murderer being executed? Do you really think so? At best, he gains a temporary fulfillment of his angry bloodlust, assuming he has that (not all victims' families do). After that, nothing has changed.

The state turning a murder into a double murder does nothing constructive for anyone. Ever. End of story.

Seth C

What the hell, people are actually defending this?

One guy being terrible doesn't give us a free pass to be equally terrible. Fucking hell.

Frankly, I'd have let her husband beat him until he was a crippled mess and then choose whether he should be executed or left to die on a road side, but it's not up to me.

You commit premeditated (non-self-defense/accident) murder, you get your shit fucked. Hard. Hell, air it unedited on national television. Would be a whole lot less murdering going on. Put an end to this shit quickly.

You know that he did the crime for sure? Our justice system suddenly became perfect?

Are you fine with the thought that there is a reasonable chance they just forced medical personnel to kill an innocent man?

Personally? I don't know. I'm going on the information that is being presented. In cases where there is verifiable evidence (audio/visual) or confession, yup. In that case I'm operating under assumption. If his conviction was questionable I don't support the death penalty regardless.

thinking like that is inconsitent with the glorious suffering and revenge fantasies a lot of posters are having in this thread.

pompidu

So the husband gains something by the murderer being executed? Do you really think so? At best, he gains a temporary fulfillment of his angry bloodlust, assuming he has that (not all victims' families do). After that, nothing has changed.

The state turning a murder into a double murder does nothing constructive for anyone. Ever. End of story.

If you think the husband didn't feel justice, o assure you you would be wrong.

Frankly, I'd have let her husband beat him until he was a crippled mess and then choose whether he should be executed or left to die on a road side, but it's not up to me.

You commit premeditated (non-self-defense/accident) murder, you get your shit fucked. Hard. Hell, air it unedited on national television. Would be a whole lot less murdering going on. Put an end to this shit quickly.

This is beyond moronic.

Death penalty is not a deterrent. When the state uses the death penalty, it is showing the citizenry that violence is how we as a nation deal with our problems. When we send that message, murder increases.

But you're just going to keep believing in your barbaric notions. Go right ahead.

If you think the husband didn't feel justice, o assure you you would be wrong.

So he "feels justice." Whoop-de-fucking do. What does that do for anyone?

akira28

This.

You would think that in two thousand and fucking fourteen people would have some sense of what ethics are good for humanity and what aren't. The ethics of revenge make us barbarians, and do nothing for the betterment of society.

Think of your sweetheart and then pull the trigger, bb.

Tenck

that is too lenient. that is not fair to the husband who lost a wife and child. he only loses freedom.

You can't be fair to a victim of homicide. If someone killed a loved one of mine, and the culprit was sentenced to death, what's there to gain from it? I still lost someone.

Edit: Should add I'm not against capital punishment, but killing someone doesn't make it change the void in your heart you feel when you lose someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom