• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawyer says Ohio killer's execution botched; took over 20 minutes for man to die

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't give a shit if it doesn't work as a deterrent. Your actions have consequences. A consequence of committing these insanely heinous acts is you don't get to live anymore. As a matter of fact, if we had a 100% correct god AI I would be all for the eye for an eye style punishment. You suffer as your victims suffered.

I do want to make clear that I am speaking in hypotheticals here....just to be clear. I am against the death penalty because we can't make any of these guarantees.

But what to do with people that commit crimes that have mental issues and maybe do not know right from wrong or whatever the case may be?

abuC

Raped and murdered a pregnant woman and I'm supposed to have sympathy for him? If that were my wife or loved one, I'd pop bottles at his suffering.

inky

Which countries still have death penalties? Oh yes, Libya, Iran, Egypt, North Korea, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and the US of A of course. What great company to be in.

Still practicing the old eye for an eye, making murderers out of their own officials. But yes, of course it means the rest just "agree" with what the criminals did and that can't stand. There is no gray area at all.

Backwards system is backwards.

Seeds

I don't get the 'you're as bad as the murderer' arguments.

So wanting someone who raped and killed a pregnant woman to suffer before he dies means you're as bad as the murderer?

Which cuntries still have death penalties?

Oh yes, Libya, Iran, Egypt, North Korea, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and the US of A of course. What great company to be in.

Still practicing the old eye for an eye, making murderers out their own officials. But yes, of course it means the rest just "agree" with what the criminals did. There's is no gray area at all.

Varies depending on state though but yeah as a country we still do =\

Depends what one considers fair I suppose. I just think this discussion deserves more understanding from both sides and less labeling. The death penalty debate will probably never go away nor will the death penalty in all it's forms. These threads just become hard to read after a few pages. I'm just trying to understand the different arguments because some of them are presented in a way that make no sense to me.

But this issue has been debated for years, it's not like there are any drastically new arguments. We pretty much know that as a societal policy, the death penalty doesn't help at all. It doesn't lower murder/rape/etc. rates. It doesn't save taxpayer money. It doesn't "solve" anything in society (which, again, is what government policies are in theory supposed to be about)

So if killing someone doesn't actually solve any problems on a societal level, why should anyone support it as a societal policy? Life imprisonment, while not puppies and sunshine, at the very least accounts for the very real existence of wrongly accused people. And life imprisonment also accomplishes the goal of keeping a dangerous person away from the rest of society.

So this goes back to my initial point about who/what is the death penalty (as a government policy) actually supposed to be for? If it's only for the grieving family, that's pretty much the textbook definition of vengeance (government sponsored vengeance, I suppose). And if we support it because "fuck him, burn him at the stake, should've been in more pain, no fucks given", then that's government sponsored bloodlust.

How else am I supposed to describe it? Again, we're talking about government policies, not individual feelings. I totally understand why people have those feelings, and I'm not even saying those feelings are wrong (they're perfectly valid, actually). I just don't get why we want those raging feelings to be government policy.

ivysaur12

Banned
The bloodlust in this thread is fascinating. The man in question is a scum bag, but why are we in the business of putting someone to death?

daw840

The bloodlust in this thread is fascinating. The man in question is a scum bag, but why are we in the business of putting someone to death?

Because in theory, they don't deserve to live. Pretty simple. However, we fail at the execution of this theory.

Which countries still have death penalties? Oh yes, Libya, Iran, Egypt, North Korea, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and the US of A of course. What great company to be in.

Still practicing the old eye for an eye, making murderers out of their own officials. But yes, of course it means the rest just "agree" with what the criminals did and that can't stand. There is no gray area at all.

Backwards system is backwards.

You left out Japan.

I'm a stone liberal. I don't like it when cops beat prisoners, I don't think prison rape is "deserved" extra punishment even for rapists, for-profit prisons are ludicrous, mixing non-violent offenders with killers and rapists is horrific, and the application of a death penalty verdict is usually blatantly racist. And yet I think there are plenty of criminals who deserve the death penalty. This was one of them. That said, his punishment should be simply death, not a painful one.

I've had pets put down. It takes literally five seconds and seems perfectly peaceful. Why is the same thing not done with executions?

So he raped and killed a PREGNANT newly-wed, no pity here, actually kind of glad. Just imagining my wife going through that is enough to justify it.

Someone who commits a crime like this does not deserve to live, even segregated from society and in the company of others like him.

That's not an eye for an eye. More like an eye for a pimple on his nose.

Eye for an eye would mean he should be raped and have his throat slit.

Why is euthanizing a dog always an instant and completely peaceful procedure? Why can't they get it right for people?

With the dog they give it one drug that puts it to sleep in seconds, and then another that stops its heart essentially instantly. Is there some reason this isn't feasible for people?

It's still rather mind numbing that the death penalty is a thing, it's possibly one of the most useless methods of justice in existence. I don't even think you could call it justice, it's just a legal way to enforce death upon those deemed deserving of it. It solves nothing.

my only question is for those who are so easy to condemn criminals to death is what would happen if you were asked to do it? would you be able to? and this isn't some "well this would never happen!" scenario, there are living, breathing people carrying out these executions. posts in this thread make me think that people would actually enjoy doing that job and there is no way you can't consider that to be fucked up.

Cipherr

So he raped and killed a PREGNANT newly-wed, no pity here, actually kind of glad. Just imagining my wife going through that is enough to justify it.

I think everyone is okay with the execution, lets just not be total animals about it though. The idea is to end this dude, not to do our best impression of him.

daw840

my only question is for those who are so easy to condemn criminals to death is what would happen if you were asked to do it? would you be able to? and this isn't some "well this would never happen!" scenario, there are living, breathing people carrying out these executions. posts in this thread make me think that people would actually enjoy doing that job and there is no way you can't consider that to be fucked up.

Again, this comes with the caveat that I know for 100% that this person was guilty of something so heinous as to deserve the death penalty, then yes. Without question. I'd do it and enjoy it because they deserve it.

Again, this comes with the caveat that I know for 100% that this person was guilty of something so heinous as to deserve the death penalty, then yes. Without question. I'd do it and enjoy it because they deserve it.

and you don't consider that to be bad at all, that you would be able to so easily take another human's life?

Good thing justice ought to be about efficiency, not safeguarding the feelings of those who enact it.

Ferrio

Banned
I don't get the 'you're as bad as the murderer' arguments.

So wanting someone who raped and killed a pregnant woman to suffer before he dies means you're as bad as the murderer?

Because we as a society have deemed murder ethically wrong. Yet we use it as punishment, and it's suddenly right (even when it goes wrong?!).

daw840

and you don't consider that to be bad at all, that you would be able to so easily take another human's life?

Not at all. Not all human life is worth the same.

Though I may have a weird perspective. When I was 16 years old I ran over a motorcyclist who was driving recklessly and basically threw himself under my car. I had no opportunity to avoid the accident and I ran over his midsection with both of my tires. He didn't deserve to die, but his actions had consequences and he paid for them with his life. These people deserve to die and yet people still defend their right to live. Why? Why on Earth would you defend their right to live while people who do things like break the speed limit and die?

A good justice system has nothing to do with feelings, or really even what you think a person "deserves."

A good justice system exists for the betterment of society, not to satisfy people's blood lust. My fellow Americans disgust me time and time again.

Murder =/ Lawful Execution

That is the spin the state likes to put on it. They can do whatever they want when they make the rules and define the words. Doesn't change anything.

daw840

Good thing justice ought to be about efficiency, not safeguarding the feelings of those who enact it.

What are you even talking about? I just said that if it was my job, yes I would enjoy it. If I knew for 100% that each person that was executed was 100% guilty. If I was the executioner in the current system, which I do think is wrong, it would weigh on me very heavily. I don't think I could live with myself honestly. Knowing that odds are I executed a wrongfully convicted person.

Huff

Banned
Why is euthanizing a dog always an instant and completely peaceful procedure? Why can't they get it right for people?

With the dog they give it one drug that puts it to sleep in seconds, and then another that stops its heart essentially instantly. Is there some reason this isn't feasible for people?

so heres the thing. pentobarb works faster, but its the exact same mechanism that bzd+dilaudid. so they kill dogs/people in the same way. just takes longer for the opiate to build up to toxic levels. but it's dilaudid. so there is no pain

RangerX

Banned
This is absoloutly sickening. The death penalty is abhorrent and barbaric no matter how its administered. Regardless of this mans crimes, which were monstrous, a society should hold itself to the highest moral standard possible if we want to live in a healthy, compassionate,dignified environment. Its not about what the killer did, its about what WE do.How we treat others. The fact he was used as a guinea pig is inexcusable. Thank fuck i don't live in a country with the death penalty,

Loofy

Because we as a society have deemed murder ethically wrong. Yet we use it as punishment, and it's suddenly right (even when it goes wrong?!).
I never got this stance. Execution is wrong, but hey, a hundred lifetimes in solitary confinement until they commit suicide, that isnt playing god at all.

Seeds

It means you're probably kind of a bad person, at the very least.

Yeah... I can't see how not taking the guys feelings into account means you're a bad person.

Would society have deemed it wrong if the husband caught the guy in the act and killed him instead?

Society makes a lot of exceptions when it comes to things that are ethically wrong.

Jenov

Or that's what we say to ourselves as a society. I disagree. The NAZI's were killing the Jews lawfully as well I'm sure (according to their own laws).

This is just lazy, come on. Genocide and ethnic cleansing is not the same as a society implementing laws to punish criminals.

Good riddance :b

I like that he first tried to implicate his brother in law, then he took the case to trial, denied guilt after conviction for years, a decade later a dna confirmation and then last month admits guilt in a letter? Oh and this is in the confession: McGuire’s
confession, in which he alleges that he was having an extramarital affair with Stewart and that he killed Stewart after she became hysterical during a heated
argument.

This dirtbag should have been offed years ago.

Read the clemency report: http://www.drc.ohio.gov/public/Dennis McGuire Death Penalty Clemency Report.pdf

RIP Joy, the real victim, not this piece of excrement.

Huff

Banned
This is absoloutly sickening. The death penalty is abhorrent and barbaric no matter how its administered. Regardless of this mans crimes, which were monstrous, a society should hold itself to the highest moral standard possible if we want to live in a healthy, compassionate,dignified environment. Its not about what the killer did, its about what WE do.How we treat others. The fact he was used as a guinea pig is inexcusable. Thank fuck i don't live in a country with the death penalty,

ugh. I'm done.

pompidu

scenario: what if the victim's family had a choice for this man, life in prison or death penalty. what do you think the family would decide? shouldn't the choice, ultimately come down to the familys wishes? (assuming said criminal is eligible for yhe death penalty)

But this issue has been debated for years, it's not like there are any drastically new arguments. We pretty much know that as a societal policy, the death penalty doesn't help at all. It doesn't lower murder/rape/etc. rates. It doesn't save taxpayer money. It doesn't "solve" anything in society (which, again, is what government policies are in theory supposed to be about)

So if killing someone doesn't actually solve any problems on a societal level, why should anyone support it as a societal policy? Life imprisonment, while not puppies and sunshine, at the very least accounts for the very real existence of wrongly accused people. And life imprisonment also accomplishes the goal of keeping a dangerous person away from the rest of society.

So this goes back to my initial point about who/what is the death penalty (as a government policy) actually supposed to be for? If it's only for the grieving family, that's pretty much the textbook definition of vengeance (government sponsored vengeance, I suppose). And if we support it because "fuck him, burn him at the stake, should've been in more pain, no fucks given", then that's government sponsored bloodlust.

How else am I supposed to describe it? Again, we're talking about government policies, not individual feelings. I totally understand why people have those feelings, and I'm not even saying those feelings are wrong (they're perfectly valid, actually). I just don't get why we want those raging feelings to be government policy.

It solves what it supposed to solve. Murderers no longer murdering people. The same way life in prison does. As for what it doesn't do "It doesn't lower murder/rape/etc. rates. It doesn't save taxpayer money. It doesn't "solve" anything in society (which, again, is what government policies are in theory supposed to be about)" Pretty sure life in prison doesn't achieve any of that either.

If there was a way to make it accident and corruption proof, make it painless, quick and more efficient when it comes to cost I would think in some circumstances it should be an option.

As it stands now? I think it's a clumsy system which is why I voted on California Proposition 34 in 2012 to make death penalty cases become life imprisonment with no parole. In my mind these are both equally barbaric, and both can be vengeance fueled actions. They are meant to be punishments and neither is very humane.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I was always curious why something like a firing squad isn't used... or like a Anton Chigur cattle gun to the head or something. Seems like getting the perfect balance of a pain killer/anast combination and then halting breathing or the heart or whatever is just so complicated for such a simple to achieve outcome.

Anyways... not that I care at all about this guy - especially considering his crime - but that sounds like a pretty clown shoes operation by the state.

Ferrio

Banned
I was always curious why something like a firing squad isn't used... or like a Anton Chigur cattle gun to the head or something. Seems like getting the perfect balance of a pain killer/anast combination and then halting breathing or the heart or whatever is just so complicated for such a simple to achieve outcome.

Because it's messy?

scenario: what if the victim's family had a choice for this man, life in prison or death penalty. what do you think the family would decide? shouldn't the choice, ultimately come down to the familys wishes? (assuming said criminal is eligible for yhe death penalty)

Of course not. How moronic. That would be a system that encourages a revenge mentality.

As I said before, a good justice system exists for the betterment and safety of society as a whole, not to satisfy people's barbaric "feelings." Promoting revenge makes society worse off, not better.

Durask

Reading the details:

Prison officials used intravenous doses of two drugs, the sedative midazolam and the painkiller hydromorphone,

OK, brief pharmacology info

midazolam is a benzo, same as valium or xanax

hydromorphone is obviously an opiate

So, basically, the same death as someone who shoots up Valium and heroin and ODs.

You are given essentially the same mixture when you get procedures like colonoscopy - obviously lower doses :) You get midazolam (Verced) and instead of hydromoprhone you usually get Fentanyl.

He was gasping for air because benzo+opiate suppresses respiratory drive, by the time this happens, you would have passed out long ago. So, while it may have looked freaky to onlookers, I can guarantee you 99.999999% that he died completely and utterly pain free.

This is just uneducated public + lawyers trying to score some cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom