• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawyer says Ohio killer's execution botched; took over 20 minutes for man to die

Status
Not open for further replies.
So he raped and killed a PREGNANT newly-wed, no pity here, actually kind of glad. Just imagining my wife going through that is enough to justify it.
And this is how cruelty and hate spreads.

I understand the instinct, but let's be thankful most societies over the years decided to put an end to this endless circle.

boiled goose

good with gravy
And this is how cruelty and hate spreads.

I understand the instinct, but let's be thankful most societies over the years decided to put an end to this endless circle.

Yup.
The most effective way to condemn violence is to decide as a society that we do not want to engage in it. We can remove and isolate those that do not fit our society, but to respond with more violence is not only primitive, but counterproductive.

There are more practical arguments against the death penalty as well, such as the fact that it is irreversible and not equally applied, and that the justice system makes mistakes.

Mononoke

Banned
People in prison can and do murder other prisoners.

Solitary confinement? Special sections for killers?

Thing is, a lot of murders happen because of a personal conflict. It's not that common for someone to be a serial killer (those with a driving compulsion to kill). Then again, I guess that is what we are talking about here. Life in prison for those that are going to keep killing (and making sure they don't do it again). I would say there are solutions, we just aren't implementing them. I'm sure we could come up with better ways to contain these people away from other inmates that they might kill.

I feel like some acts are so morbid or perhaps even evil that they have implications completely independent of whatever horrible thing the victim may have done.

That's how I feel about capital punishment. It's not so much that we need to be above the act of murder when dealing with murderers, to be comparatively more noble for some ultimate third party, because I don't believe in any kind of cosmic final judgement. There's no outside perspective on us so how we "look" or just the intellectual concept of "sinking to their level" doesn't really matter to me so much. It's not even just about the falsely convicted, who serve as enough justification alone to do away with capital punishment.

I guess the most basic reason I'm against it is that I can feel sympathy for anyone regardless of what they deserve, as long as I can imagine being in their shoes. And when I imagine being strapped down and coldly, pitilessly executed by my own species, imagining the surreal terror of counting down to that moment and then seeing that part of society so divorced in nature from any other part you'd ever encounter in life, it just disturbs and terrifies me greatly. It's like the perfect nightmare to me. I can't point to any horrible crime on the part of a recipient that relieves me of that disturbance about the process.

I get as angry as anyone else at some of the crimes people commit, probably angrier than most. But still, the revulsion I feel at the act of ending a life is too great to be overcome even by that.

Plus, I feel emotionally and logically that there is no point to a punishment if the victim isn't going to be around to "savor" it and lament their choices and feel the weight of justice upon them. It's just, *bam* they cease to exist, they never had any concept or perspective on the fact that they are now dead for what they've done. They can't reflect on it. Where's the satisfaction in that kind of revenge? What's the purpose?

Mononoke

Banned
The United States is literally the only "civilized" Western nation on the planet that still uses the death penalty. In the good company of countries like China, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Somalia and Iran.

I'm against Capital Punishment, because I think the risk of killing someone innocent is too much, and economically it doesn't make sense.

But can the U.S. really be compared to these countries, when some of these places will sentence someone to death without a fair trial, or for something as little as speaking out against the government? Seems a little disingenuous to compare our capitol punishment (on a moral/civil level) to these countries. And despite me being against it, the U.S. does in fact, take a lot of steps before executing someone (hence why so much time is spent on death row, because of appeals among other rights exercised).

I guess it depends on the state too I suppose. I don't know enough about individual states carry out their capital punishment (if it varies state by state to large degrees).

You'd be surprised to find out how many people in Europe actually support capital punishment in cases such as these. The only difference is our society is not based on sense of justice as far as the general public is considered - but on perceived higher principles.

I wouldn't call it "truly superior", it is definitely more humane but at the same time the public often feels criminals get off too easy and feel the system is not fair. Who knows what the consequences of that might be.

Do you have sources on that ?

RedShift

I don't get the 'you're as bad as the murderer' arguments.

So wanting someone who raped and killed a pregnant woman to suffer before he dies means you're as bad as the murderer?

Not anywhere near as bad as him, but still pretty bad yeah.

I heard that they were planning this execution while listening to NPR yesterday morning. The way the reporter said it was almost like a foreboding knowledge that this was going to go wrong.

It was something like: "Officials in Ohio are preparing to execute a condemned man with a new combination of chemicals later today." <Pause>

All that was missing was "It won't end well" at the end.

Japan hangs people.

Japan isn't a Western nation.

I'm against Capital Punishment, because I think the risk of killing someone innocent is too much, and economically it doesn't make sense.

But can the U.S. really be compared to these countries, when some of these places will sentence someone to death without a fair trial, or for something as little as speaking out against the government? Seems a little disingenuous to compare our capitol punishment (on a moral/civil level) to these countries. And despite me being against it, the U.S. does in fact, take a lot of steps before executing someone (hence why so much time is spent on death row, because of appeals among other rights exercised).

I guess it depends on the state too I suppose. I don't know enough about individual states carry out their capital punishment (if it varies state by state to large degrees).

Nobody was comparing the US to those countries on a meta level. Just pointing out that when you look at the list of countries that still execute people, the United States is tucked cozily in between countries like China, Iran and North Korea. Also, you've heard of wrongful convictions right? And you do know that they happen a lot?

FOOTE

The people who were involved in this execution are no better than the man they executed. Eye for an eye (ish) shouldn't be applied in this country.

Buzzman

Banned
While I'm completely against the Death Penalty, why not use a gas chamber with carbon monoxide? Quick, relatively painless and easier than mixing different medicine together to get the right effect.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Fuck him. Raped and murdered a pregnant newly wed means he could have suffered for eternity for all I care. Piece of sub human shit doesnt deserve pity. You lose that right from me the minute you commit such a sick and disgusting act that you make it clear you aren't a human being, you are fucking cancer.

RedShift

While I'm completely against the Death Penalty, why not use a gas chamber with carbon monoxide? Quick, relatively painless and easier than mixing different medicine together to get the right effect.

I'd guess there's a risk that they could end up surviving with severe brain damage or something if not done right.

Husker86

Everybody saying why not just use anesthesia like they do for procedures before the other injections...you know your body still tries to stay alive under anesthesia, right?

It's entirely possible, and probable, that this man wasn't conscious of what he was doing when taking those intermittent breaths.

I'm not taking a side either way on this particular case, but putting someone to sleep doesn't mean they're going to lay still no matter what other drugs are introduced into their body.

And yeah, many manufacturers are disallowing their product to be used for executions.

KingGondo

Banned
Jesus. Nobody is saying this guy was deserving of pity or sympathy. Those who are tossing out that straw man are missing the point entirely.

A state-sanctioned execution should be conducted in the most humane fashion possible, no matter what the condemned did. It doesn't matter if the guy who was executed deserved to suffer, or if he made others suffer--we should not condone this kind of result and procedure when it comes to our criminal "justice" system.

We should aspire to the higher ideals of humanity rather than give in to our base urges.

Maybe it'll make people who want to commit rapes and murders to think twice about doing so.

Is this sarcasm? Because it has been demonstrated that this type of punishment does nothing at all to deter crime. But we wouldn't want actual stats and research on crime and punishment to get in the way of a good ole fashioned bloodlust now would we.

What a disgusting thread.

stormplyr

After reading what he did, I'm not so angry with the botched "experiment". He essentially killed two people if you want to assume the baby would have been born healthy. I think we should just go back to a gun and bullets. I think its cheaper and quicker, but i may be wrong. I am a supporter of the death penalty. I believe some people are so bad and evil they deserve that sort of punishment.

Is this sarcasm? Because it has been demonstrated that this type of punishment does nothing at all to deter crime. But we wouldn't want actual stats and research on crime and punishment to get in the way of a good ole fashioned bloodlust now would we.

So punishment isn't a deterrent to crime, or just the death penalty isn't a deterrent? I can assure that 100% of all executed murderers have not killed again. I cannot state the same for other forms of punishment or "rehabilitation".

After reading what he did, I'm not so angry with the botched "experiment". He essentially killed two people if you want to assume the baby would have been born healthy. I think we should just go back to a gun and bullets. I think its cheaper and quicker, but i may be wrong. I am a supporter of the death penalty. I believe some people are so bad and evil they deserve that sort of punishment.

Agree. Not every life is precious and not every person can be "fixed" to walk the morale code.

Links?
So punishment isn't a deterrent to crime, or just the death penalty isn't a deterrent? I can assure that 100% of all executed murderers have not killed again.
Links?

Links?

Links?

What link? You want proof that people who are dead have not murdered people after they have been executed?

Dead people can't kill. I figured this would have been something known. I do not know how to prove it. I'm not sure if there are any research papers or data I can post about dead people not having the ability to kill people.

KingGondo

Banned
http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/...enalty-facts/the-death-penalty-and-deterrence

CriminologistOnDeterrence.jpg

DPvNonDPStates.jpg

Darklord

Banned
The people in this thread are exactly why places till have public stoning in 2014. Lets bring that to America and really turn the clock back 500 years.

This quote is apt I think:

The threat of execution at some future date is unlikely to enter the minds of those acting under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol, those who are in the grip of fear or rage, those who are panicking while committing another crime (such as a robbery), or those who suffer from mental illness or mental retardation and do not fully understand the gravity of their crime.

This shows that the penalty could be a slap on the wrist or torture for 10 years and it won't make a difference in many situations.

I believe the point of a lot of people in favor of capital punishment is it prevents people from doing it again. Prison itself is a deterrent. The death penalty is part of that.

jond76

Banned
I wonder if the original crime where he killed the pregnant woman would have got to 13 pages...

Far too much time wasted on this trash.

J-Rod

He left more comfortably and with more mercy than his victim. That and because the execution lasting longer was not intentional, I don't feel too bad for him.

Newblade

I believe the point of a lot of people in favor of capital punishment is it prevents people from doing it again. Prison itself is a deterrent. The death penalty is part of that.

There's a tremendous flaw in that point. People that wouldn't kill again would be executed nevertheless.

Darklord

Banned
I wonder if the original crime where he killed the pregnant woman would have got to 13 pages...

It's because he's a despicable person who did a terrible thing in a civilized society. Then that society stoops to his level and becomes despicable too. When one man does a crime it's bad, when a society does it then it's shameful.

KingGondo

Banned
Oh no poor guy

Well that sucks but next time maybe dont kill people?
These kinds of responses several pages into a thread should be ban-worthy.

There are people willing to engage in discussions of death penalty policy here, but instead we're still going with the ":LOL maybe you shouldn't RAPE AND MURDER if don't wanna get tortured" shit.

Nobody here is arguing that this guy deserves sympathy. Broaden your minds a little bit and think about deeper issues and the concept of justice in a civilized society rather than stupidly spouting off "HE DESERVED IT, NO SYMPATHY HERE" repeatedly.

jond76 said:

Again, NOBODY in this thread is offering sympathy for a guy who almost certainly raped and murdered this woman.

The thread is long because the topic of capital punishment and its application in America is worthy of a thorough discussion. Unfortunately, many of the drive-by posters in this thread are uninterested in engaging in any kind of nuanced discussion.

Kettch

An unnecessary part. That's only a point if you're arguing with someone who wants to let murderers walk free instead.

What link? You want proof that people who are dead have not murdered people after they have been executed?

Dead people can't kill. I figured this would have been something known. I do not know how to prove it. I'm not sure if there are any research papers or data I can post about dead people not having the ability to kill people.

One of those "Links?" was a joke ;]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom