• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MADONNA's Halftime Show |OT| Sponsored by Lady Gaga (via Akon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Madonna describes herself as a performance artist. She writes/co-writes her own stuff. She can play some guitar but let's be serious. Her strengths have always been her charisma, her confidence and her drive.

For a singer who lipsynch on her shows she has made mad amounts of money and has influenced most of the acts on the radio today. Her tours always rank as top sellers. She has earned every penny she's made and has 7 grammys to her name. Credit where it's deserved.

If she's not your cup of tea, congrats for having an opinion.

Kyon

Banned
i always loved how much similarities Britney and Madge have in terms of their artistry. Just wow My Faves
cmmSY.gif
cmmSY.gif
cmmSY.gif
cmmSY.gif
cmmSY.gif
cmmSY.gif

Madonna describes herself as a performance artist. She writes/co-writes her own stuff. She can play some guitar but let's be serious. Her strengths have always been her charisma, her confidence and her drive.

For a singer who lipsynch on her shows she has made mad amounts of money and has influenced most of the acts on the radio today. Her tours always always top sellers. She has earned every penny she's made and has 7 grammys to her name. Credit where it's deserved.

If she's not your cup of tea, congrats for having an opinion.

Nah, I actually like her voice somewhat and many of her songs, I just expected more from a live act but I'm the fool as many "pop artists" do the lipsynching thing.

Kyon

Banned
People that appreciate musical talent????

I'm not paying 50$ to see an "artist" I like dance around to the album which I could listen to at home.

If that's your pleasure, that's fine.

ibs8EGxrGRoIsJ.gif

same post different folk. And 10000000% of the lip synchers outsell and outperform all your faves.

Singing live is an awesome bonus but if they are slaying and delivering a good performance, who gives a shit? The minority that is people who expect everyone to sing live are just that.

Sydle

i always loved how much similarities Britney and Madge have in terms of their artistry. Just wow My Faves
cmmSY.gif
cmmSY.gif
cmmSY.gif
cmmSY.gif
cmmSY.gif
cmmSY.gif

Except Madonna can actually sing to back up her performance. Britney is simply riding on her looks -- she won't be around anywhere near as long as Madonna has been.

Mau ®

You guys act as if Madonna mimes all the time. The SB Half Time show was more of an exception than the rule. She sings live almost all the time.

You guys act as if Madonna mimes all the time. The SB Half Time show was more of an exception than the rule. She sings live almost all the time.

That's what I assumed or guessed so while I wasn't disappointed(not as big a fan of hers as some but like her songs all the same), it was like "really?????".

Especially after she said she was more nervous about this than anything else.

Her singing live regularly doesn't surprise at all, she's not Britney.

rdrr gnr

People are allowed to have unyieldingly grody taste, just as much as other people are allowed to criticize them for it.

Kyon

Banned
Its not supposed to be serious, the performance was entertaining and got all your faves talking. Madge shut it the fuck down

This was surprisingly good. I thought it started off bad but by the end I was smiling.

Best half time show since prince, and best super bowl in I don't know how long.

not bad, not bad at all. once ceelo green came in it was pretty awesome actually. I'm also a bit surprised how good she is looking. I guess I am used to those paparazzi photos where her veins are bulging out of her ripped arms. good to see the old bird still has it.

Mumei

I couldn't care less. Pop singers like Madonna don't write their own music or play instruments. Her entire schtick is based around a performance, to compare her to a "rock group" is to miss the point so completely.

Hey y'all, I like Sigur Ross more than Rihanna. Let's talk about that...

If I'm remembering right, Madonna is one of the pop singers who does write most of her own material.

AColdDay

It wasn't that bad at all, if you don't give a shit about lip sync.

I'm still scarred by last year's show.

This guy completely summed up how I feel. It was no-where near as bad as BEP last year. Honestly, they should just let Prince do it for the foreseeable future.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Except Madonna can actually sing to back up her performance. Britney is simply riding on her looks -- she won't be around anywhere near as long as Madonna has been.

Madonna is not really a good singer and if she is, she hides it awfully well. She has always been about the show.

Nor would I say Spears has been riding solely on her looks. 15 years is a lot of time being in the light and still being relevant.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
#meh

She always comes off as some try hard looking for attention.

Look, I don't get involved in the pop hip hop rap world but that's just I view her has. And her
crazy styles don't help.

ok you dont like her avant garde style, still thats no reason to call her a bitch

I couldn't care less. Pop singers like Madonna don't write their own music or play instruments. Her entire schtick is based around a performance, to compare her to a "rock group" is to miss the point so completely.

Hey y'all, I like Sigur Ross more than Rihanna. Let's talk about that...

Too bad Sigur Ros couldn't have done the half time show. Can you imagine the horror/ confusion/ awe from the general public?

Derrick01

Banned
Fuck Metallica
Yea I said it. They would ruin the SuperBowl

Any more than the majority of these performances in the last 10 years?

At least they write their own stuff and actually play instruments without relying on a bunch of computer made sounds. And there wouldn't be garbage like nicki minaj and whoever that other woman was showing up.

I hope not anyway...

Kusagari

Any more than the majority of these performances in the last 10 years?

At least they write their own stuff and actually play instruments without relying on a bunch of computer made sounds. And there wouldn't be garbage like nicki minaj and whoever that other woman was showing up.

I hope not anyway...

Metallica would bring out Lou Reed and start playing some of the classics from Lulu.

Brinbe

I was out during HT, so only watched it now.

It was pretty damn good (a lot better than I expected), and much better than previous years. I'm glad they're slowly retreating from the safer artists thing they did for obvious reasons. What people want are catchy/flashy spectacles and like that historic MJ performance in 93, it delivered that type of feeling. I doubt it, but hopefully one of these years they'll get Ye/Jay/both out there, because that's a goddamn show.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Got to watch this again on TV, better quality. DAT VOGUE INTRO with the feather reveal was epic. Walk onto the stage with the 'lets get to it..' choreography with the sword sound effects and stuff was fucking awesome. Really cool. Still don't like the new song though.

If lip syncing avoids us a repeat of the Black Eyed Peas, I'm all for it.

Koodo

Banned
The VOGUE intro was definitely life giving.

Music and GMAYL were solid, if not wonky.

Like A Prayer was a religious event.

lordt, I keep repeating VOGUE. Wigs were disintegrated.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
As entrances go, you don't get much better than that whole sequence. This part is effin glorious. I'm such a sucker for anything synchronised in pop shows :p

Rookje

Its interesting that people care so much about people singing live. You rarely hear a live performance that's better than the original, especially a pop performance (since it has so much production). Reminds me of this book:

Authenticity%20Cover%20low-res.jpg

Madonna's performance was easily top 5 of all time halftime shows, just the Vogue segment alone.

I'm watching it now.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. A bit stiff maybe.. and not really singing, but we all know she can't sing like Gaga can. This is the real Queen of Pop though.

And although i guess she does a lot to keep her appearance as it is (botox, etc), she does look fucking great for her age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom