• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

ShaneB

UFC's JBJ can use UFC145 to launch into superstardom, story at Yahoo. Apparantely he's represented by Ari Emanuel, of Entourage fame.

As much as the UFC wants to push him into the superstar role, I don't see him ever becoming a big ppv draw.

I just want Rashad to win just to derail all these superstar plans they've got in mind for Bones.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Jordan Breen ‏ @jordanbreen

UFC emergency presser in Rio. Looks like Sonnen-Silva is headed to Vegas, rest of the card to Minas Gerais with Silva-Belfort 2 headliner.

0002_wuxn.gif

yacobod

Banned
Go post this in the Jones/Evans thread please.

we know better in MMA-GAF, blacks can't speak articulately.

Jordan Breen said:
Jordan Breen ‏ @jordanbreen

UFC emergency presser in Rio. Looks like Sonnen-Silva is headed to Vegas, rest of the card to Minas Gerais with Silva-Belfort 2 headliner.

UFC cares about Chael's well being after all.

charsace

Watched the NBA post game last. Really made me realize that JBJ joined MMA at the right time. There are a lot of guys that play pg and sg that have NBA tools and don't make it to the league that could be physical forces in MMA.

You look at a guy like Gerald Green for example who is 6'8 with a 7'0 wingspan and weighs 190 something lbs. who has quick hands and is an explosive athlete. Could you imagine a guy like that fighting at 205 walking into the ring on fight night weighing 220? MMA is going to be a different beast when these type of guys are doing MMA as second sport when they are playing basketball as kids.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Well he probably gets paid more in a week riding the bench than a year in the UFC, plus he doesn't have to get punched in the face. You'll start getting better athletes once the pay is comparable.

charsace

Well he probably gets paid more in a week riding the bench than a year in the UFC, plus he doesn't have to get punched in the face. You'll start getting better athletes once the pay is comparable.

But think of all the athletic guys that aren't skilled enough to make the NBA or Europe. And there are a lot of them too.

tass0

Banned
Oh shit guess what guys, Fedor will be fighting THE ROCK!

No, not THAT Rock, Pedro "The Rock" Rizzo.

BAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Just landed in ATL so I'm on Worst Coast Time now like our good friend TheNatural.

As expected, Fedor wants to end his career fighting cans instead of fighting legitimate opponents in the UFC.

Annoying, really. I want to see him fight Cain Velasquez and Overeem.

TheNatural

My Member!
Oh shit guess what guys, Fedor will be fighting THE ROCK!

No, not THAT Rock, Pedro "The Rock" Rizzo.

BAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Just landed in ATL so I'm on Worst Coast Time now like our good friend TheNatural.

Welcome to the beast coast brah. Leave your chardonnay at the hotel and the event starts around 6:00 so people will be showing up then. That six o clock, not six minutes into the main event, or six innings into the Dodgers game like you West Coasters are used to. Better bring your sweater vest too, in case it gets below 65.

Heel

Well I for one thought The Rock looked great in his last fight against Ken Shamrock 2 years ago.

Honestly though, the only name fighter outside of the Zuffa banner worth Fedor's time is Kharitonov. He would get slept.

There's literally no fight outside of Zuffa that will satiate Fedor haters. To give you an idea, the highest ranked guy is Pedro Rizzo. They'll be banging the same drum until he retires.

I posted this in September.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
What I want to happen, and what I think will happen are two VERY different things :(

Dammit man consider the title! We know we're 99.9 percent fucked, however in the event of the other we can make a soft claim that we knew it would happen all along!

ShaneB

Dammit man consider the title! We know we're 99.9 percent fucked, however in the event of the other we can make a soft claim that we knew it would happen all along!

Heh, oh I know! My nhl playoff picks are half heart and half brain. When my heart picks are right, I'm happy. When my brain picks are correct, it sucks, but at least I was right :(

Ah well, Rashad can pull of some octagon wizardry.... maybe. I hope. Then Dana's reaction will be the gif of legends.

Will have to watch Bellator another time as well this weekend, it's hockey time tonight :(

Welcome to the beast coast brah. Leave your chardonnay at the hotel and the event starts around 6:00 so people will be showing up then. That six o clock, not six minutes into the main event, or six innings into the Dodgers game like you West Coasters are used to. Better bring your sweater vest too, in case it gets below 65.
Says the dude that was front running the Niners during the playoffs.

TheNatural

My Member!
Says the dude that was front running the Niners during the playoffs.

Frontrunning? I've been a Niners fan ever since I was little. That doesn't mean the West Coast is exactly a diehard sports place. Hell they can't even get a new stadium, they're stuck in the most decrepid stadium in the NFL, what does that tell you?

tass0

Banned
I can't wait. I'm pretty sure this is the last fight on Eddie's Bellator contract too.

If Alvarez loses again, there's no way the UFC will pick him up. They won't have a guy who lost 2 in a row in Bellator have a chance at winning in the UFC. It would hurt their image.

If Alvarez wins, however, that would be huge for him, put him in the top 5, plus he'd likely be signed by the UFC.

Frontrunning? I've been a Niners fan ever since I was little. That doesn't mean the West Coast is exactly a diehard sports place. Hell they can't even get a new stadium, they're stuck in the most decrepid stadium in the NFL, what does that tell you?
They're building the stadium. Also, you weren't in the thread until the Niners made it to the playoffs. Almost as bad as Yaco not posting when the Bears started sucking or when Brock lost and he was magically drunk for a week.

tass0

Banned
In the UFC, Fedor would be the can.

Really? A can is lower than Roy Nelson status.

I can easily him becoming a top 10 UFC HW, especially considering that Minotauro Nogueira is one of them.

It's too bad we'll never see that happen, though, because Fedor wants to fight cans instead of real opponents, apparently.

TheNatural

My Member!
They're building the stadium. Also, you weren't in the thread until the Niners made it to the playoffs. Almost as bad as Yaco not posting when the Bears started sucking or when Brock lost and he was magically drunk for a week.

So what? Because I don't post in most of the stupid clique ridden major sports threads here doesn't make me a fan? Maybe I just don't want to hear "who the hell are you" or :jnc all the time.

Heel

Brimage can take a punch and hits like a truck. That fight is going to be a barn burner for sure. Blanco probably wins based on hand speed.

TheNatural

My Member!
You guys should be talking less about you-know-who and thinking more about MMA dominance on this forum. We have footholds in OT and Community, now just need one on Gaming.

Some ideas: "Which games are shittier than Brendan Schaub's chin?"
"Has any sequel gotten worse over time than Miguel Torres' fighting style?"

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
You guys should be talking less about you-know-who and thinking more about MMA dominance on this forum. We have footholds in OT and Community, now just need one on Gaming.

"When Sony apologized like George St. Pierre, did you accept it?"

yacobod

Banned

there's no reason to get a foothold in gaming, what's next a foothold in ponies?

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
UFC needs its own supershow every year.
I wouldn't mind a Zuffapalooza mid-year. Wouldn't want it near year end so that not everyone was forced to choose between them and Dream's Saitama show on NYE... though I could hear Dana White's inner Don King claim that every UFC event is the MMA Superbowl.

In case anybody forgets, Bellator 66 is on tonight with a dope main event.
Thanks. Unfortunately, MTV2 is SD only. It's so hard going back to SD when you're spoiled by HD. First world problems.

Top Bottom