• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Super Smash Bros Brawl singles tourney #3

Suburban Cowboy said:
can you guys please start recording your matches?
Hm, I have access to a capture device myself. I'd gladly record my matches if it would make this tournament more entertaining. Then again though there is what jiggy said :/. On the flipside though you really can't tell much from videos alone besides what a character can do. I'm not sure xP. If I do decide to upload during the tournament I'll be sure to get the ok from my opponent.

Yeah, I don't really have a way to capture my matches either.

Regardless:

Anonymous Tipster(Zelda) over ScottNak (Kirby) on Lylat Cruise
Anonymous Tipster(Zelda) over ScottNake (Kirby) on Smashville

Both were good games, but were insanely laggy.

Rotanibor

Anonymous Tipster(Zelda) over Rotanibor(King Dedede) on Battlefield
Rotanibor(King Dedede) over Anonymous Tipster(Zelda) on Castle Seige
Rotanibor(Kind Dedede) over Anonymous Tipster(Zelda) on Battlefield

All the games were really great, VERY close on all of them. Good games Anon!

yeb

yeb (Meta Knight) over Rotanibor (Dedede) on Battlefield
Rotanibor (Dedede) over yeb (Meta Knight) on Castle Siege
yeb (Meta Knight) over Rotanibor (Dedede) on Rainbow Cruise

Really close, fun games. Stage spikes and F smashes and whornados aplenty.

Azure J

So then, for all of us unlucky pool knockouts (stupid lag/white Marth :lol) and Ruffles :)lol), how exactly are we going to get evaluated by our resident number & stat cruncher Jiggy? I only have one match saved from the tournament so far (against crowphoenix) and would really like to get a more in depth look on how I play and can get better. I take it in a case like this, you'll all just be going on word of mouth since I'm fairly new? *shrugs*

Either way, I'll expect to hear fun things from this and as always, I'll be on Brawl most of the time for those who want to match wits with me. :D

K

Kwokuen

Unconfirmed Member
Kwokuen vs. BigAT

Winner: Kwokuen

2-0

Round 1: Yoshi's Island
Kwokuen (Falco) vs. BigAT (Ike)

Round 2: Castle Siege
Kwokuen (Captain Falcon) vs. BigAT (Ike)

Good games man.

JCX

some final pool discussion stuff is going on. Hopefully, the bracket will be posted tonight.

People with matches to still be completed:

Dragonlife29
Jibblypop
HotGarbage
Ri'orius
RagnarokX
Ri'Orius
Relix
Truendo
Maskedman
Rotanibor
JCX9
Scottnak
Superandroid17
Yeb
BigAT
Hatchetman

Get your matches done!

Best times to get them done are between 7pm and Midnight EST. Go to the brawl irc (info in the OP) and PM your opponents to coordinate matches.

deadline is Sunday February 1st

after this, two things will be done

1) All matches will be forfeited in favor of the more active player

2) In the event that an inactive player wins 4th seed due to forfeits, the seed will be given to a wildcard 5th seed from another pool

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Hey, truendo has been running scared for God knows how long and that Grant guy is nowhere to be seen:lol

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Well, Falsendo running scared isn't a surprise. :D

After all, he's the only one who should be scared of Relix. :p

Arol

Whoops, I got kicked/disconnected from IRC somehow and won't let me back in.

Anyways, I wish I could stay for the mini-tourney but can't.

Also, since we're getting close to the bracket, is it going to be seeded? Or will the final pool positions matter at all?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Iam Canadian said:
Well, Falsendo running scared isn't a surprise. :D

After all, he's the only one who should be scared of Relix. :p

I only lost 3 rounds, what you talking about? lol.

Jiggy

Just a note, I may not be able to record my matches after all. :/ My software was working fine for a good fifteen or so video sessions, but for some reason it now only works for a limited amount of time and then begins dropping frames like crazy. I'll see if I can figure out what's wrong, since I suspect it's something to do with too many programs running on my computer simultaneously or something along those lines.

Updated: Defragmented my hard drive and things seem to be working correctly again!

Hey, guys, I have to drop out. Some stuff came up so I won't have the luxury of arranging matches; I'd rather just forfeit and play without pressure on my end.

Azure J

dragonlife29 said:
Hey, guys, I have to drop out. Some stuff came up so I won't have the luxury of arranging matches; I'd rather just forfeit and play without pressure on my end.

Aw shit, that sucks. D:

jibblypop

Banned
HotGarbage said:
HotGarbage (Peach) over jigglypop (Wolf) on Smashville
HotGarbage (ZSS) over jigglypop (Pikachu) on Pictochat

Good games man ;)

haha it's actually "jibblypop" but I can see how that mistake would happen! :lol

good games!

Iam Canadian

HotGarbage said:
Oh wow, I had been reading your name like that this entire time :lol . How the crap did I pull that off xP.

Oh, good, I'm not the only one who made that mistake. :lol

Your name is too difficult for us, jibbly. D:

Iam Canadian

Hey truendo, be sure to save the replays from your match with Relix. I don't think you'll last more than three minutes against him anyway. :D

Jiggy

JCX9 said:
Worst 5 records from each pool will be dropped to make a 16 person bracket. The pools must be done by Sunday January 25th
So much for that. So, uh, what happens to lovely pool C and its general failure to finish matches whenever we have to move this thing along at some point? :p

Nabster92

JCX9 said:
some final pool discussion stuff is going on. Hopefully, the bracket will be posted tonight.

People with matches to still be completed:

Dragonlife29
Jibblypop
HotGarbage
Ri'orius
RagnarokX
Ri'Orius
Relix
Truendo
Maskedman
Rotanibor
JCX9
Scottnak
Superandroid17
Yeb
BigAT
Hatchetman

Get your matches done!

Best times to get them done are between 7pm and Midnight EST. Go to the brawl irc (info in the OP) and PM your opponents to coordinate matches.

deadline is Sunday February 1st

after this, two things will be done

1) All matches will be forfeited in favor of the more active player

2) In the event that an inactive player wins 4th seed due to forfeits, the seed will be given to a wildcard 5th seed from another pool

You must've missed this post jiggy.

Nabster92

Ok, so doesn't look like anything else is gonna happen pool wise so I went ahead and forfeited matches and switched some people around to put active people in the 4th seed spots and such. So here are the final results of the pools after forfeitures were put through and the final 16 person bracket. If you're in the bracket you can do your match whenever you want if you see who you're playing. And without further ado:

Pool A:
2ufyn1d.jpg

Pool B:
2iien90.jpg

Pool C:
2i06kyd.jpg

Pool D:
71pxmp.jpg

FINAL BRACKET:
ehzrzt.gif

Azure J

Son of a... I see myself in a bracket, go "nice", then see JCX9 as my first opponent. Death by Pikachu confirmed. Murphy's Law is a cruel master... :lol

Ah well, I'll be sure to get my matches underway as soon as I get the chance. I've missed the IRC channel for a bit anyways. :D

Arol

Arol (TL) over yeb (MK) Smashville
Yeb (MK) over Arol (TL) Rainbow Cruise
Yeb (MK) over Arol (TL) Smashville

GGs dude.

Jiggy

Jiggy (Mario) over Ragnarok (Toon Link) on Smashville
Ragnarok (Toon Link) over Jiggy (Jigglypuff) on Pirate Ship
Jiggy (Wolf) over Ragnarok (Toon Link) on Onett

Matches are recorded, will be uploaded when both of us are out of the tournament. Best use of a counterpick I've seen, though it probably didn't hurt that I was picking Jigglypuff just to say I played her somewhere in this tournament.

Edit: The list of characters I've used so far: Diddy Kong, Donkey Kong, Falco, Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff, King Dedede, Kirby, Lucas, Luigi, Mario, Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Pit, R.O.B., Toon Link, Wario, Wolf, Zelda, Zero Suit Samus

Normally this would be a guideline to characters I won't be picking in the future, but I've run the entire list of who I actually know how to play--and then some, because I sure don't play Mario or Jigglypuff ordinarily--and that means I'll probably have to start repeating now. That said, my next opponent is Nabster and :lol for my chances of ever beating him, so I might just pick whoever for the sake of variety cred. :p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Nabster92 (Disco Swordsman) over Halycon (Poyo) Smashville
Nabster92 (Pretty Boy) over Halycon (Chibi Link) Yoshi's Island

Bonus:
Nabster92 (Captain Falconstorm) over Halycon (Old Manondorf) Final Destination

Jiggy

Nabster (Marth) over Jiggy (Meta Knight) on Final Destination
Nabster (Marth) over Jiggy (Fox) on Onett

The second match could have been 38 seconds longer and it would still have fit in the replay time limit. Incidentally, I said in IRC that I knew I'd regret picking Onett, and--well, I don't really regret it since I would have lost anyway, but it contributed a lot to making that match as short as it was. :p

Oh, I should probably report my match just in case.

Phantom Flapjack (Ness) over Iam Canadian (ROB) on Smashville
Phantom Flapjack (Ness) over Iam Canadian (ROB) on Onett

It warms my heart to see people counterpicking Onett

JCX

Due to technical difficulties (Nintendo "fixed" my wii and disc"), my first match is delayed til i fix/buy a new disc or borrow one from a friend tomorrow. Sorry Azure

Currently

JCX9 (pikachu) over AzureJericho (Marth) on smashville
AzureJericho (Marth) over JCX9 (pikachu) on smashville

Azure J

I just saw your post JCX (it's ok) and now I really have to wonder if we should probably have a warm up match before the match that gets counted for our round. Considering how badly I played in the first round and all the warming up to turnaround that happened in our epic second round, I don't think it'd be fair to either of us if we weren't playing perfectly for the last round.

Or I could just be rambling about a non-issue right now. :p

JCX

AzureJericho said:
I just saw your post JCX (it's ok) and now I really have to wonder if we should probably have a warm up match before the match that gets counted for our round. Considering how badly I played in the first round and all the warming up to turnaround that happened in our epic second round, I don't think it'd be fair to either of us if we weren't playing perfectly for the last round.

Or I could just be rambling about a non-issue right now. :p

I agree with a warm up. You definitely had momentum going into the last match

JCX9 (pikachu) over AzureJericho (Marth) on smashville
AzureJericho (Marth) over JCX9 (pikachu) on smashville
JCX9 (zelda/shiek) over AzureJericho (Lucas) on lylat cruise

GGs

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Mila got OWNEEEED.
Relix vs. Mila
Relix vs. Mila (FD)
Relix vs. Mila (Battlefield)

Both used Luigi and Game and Watch respectively.

Got served boy. Got so mad you had to kick me out of the IRC room :lol . I know I know... It didn't help that I jumped from having a SF2HD tourney match and jump into a Brawl tourney match when I hadn't played in weeks and still got your ass kicked. SDs are part of the game so yeah... cry mooooaaarr.

I love you Mila

GGs =D I am definitely out of shape.

Nabster92

Too bad your internets are still in top form of fuckupabilty. That's all you really ever had anyways.

Moving on, updated brackets:
msly6w.jpg

And as JCX said in the chat all matches not just the first round will have Smashville as round 1 until the finals/loser's/grand final's and what not.

Rotanibor

HotGarbage (Peach) over Rotanibor (King Dedede) on Smashville
Rotanibor (King Dedede) over HotGarbage (Peach) on Castle Siege
HotGarbage (Peach) over Rotanibor (King Dedede) on Jungle Japes

I got rocked both games except the one that I just barely won. Good games HotGarbage!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Relix vs JCX (Zelda)
Relix vs JCX (Pikachu) Norfair

The ending of Norfair was totally anti-climatic. most stupid thing I've seen in eons :lol GGs JCX

Top Bottom