• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Stanley Cup 2017 Finals [OT]- To Catch a Predator

Relatively speaking of course. I mean going out in round 1 and round 2 for every year except 1 is clearly not championship calibre like they are now.

One year meaning you're ignoring the back to back finals appearances? Our depth has gotten a lot better and our kids have played incredibly well since coming up. Trading away crap and getting decent players helps a lot, as well as random people stepping up like Guentzel after he had to come up due to injuries. Sullivan also seems to be a significantly better coach that actually makes changes and seems to actually coach.

purg3

slept with Malkin
kind of impressed with the tv ratings coming out of pittsburgh

during the second overtime... 7 out of 10 TVs were watching the game.

a 70 share is bonkers

I believe outside of Canadian markets, Pittsburgh has one of if not the largest hockey TV market in the US. I think it was the cup final a few years ago, the pens weren't even in it and Pittsburgh had some of the highest contributing view percentage. I think when people think sports and Pittsburgh, they think of the Steelers. But hockey is massive here.

Socreges

Banned
Having the best player in the world tends to create significant interest. eg, Lemieux and Crosby. Nobody in Pittsburgh gave a shit about the Pens just before they got Crosby. Didn't they have the worst attendance in the league before drafting him? They are the Parch of fanbases.

PillarEN

Having the best player in the world tends to create significant interest. eg, Lemieux and Crosby. Nobody in Pittsburgh gave a shit about the Pens just before they got Crosby. Didn't they have the worst attendance in the league before drafting him? They are the Parch of fanbases.

Didn't the Pens have trouble retaining Jagr during his captaincy years. When you got no money it's tough.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
One year meaning you're ignoring the back to back finals appearances? Our depth has gotten a lot better and our kids have played incredibly well since coming up. Trading away crap and getting decent players helps a lot, as well as random people stepping up like Guentzel after he had to come up due to injuries. Sullivan also seems to be a significantly better coach that actually makes changes and seems to actually coach.

Sullivan is a HUGE improvement over bylsma who seemed to always respond to adversity in the playoffs with "put Crosby and Malkin on the same line!" Even though that always ended up tiring them out. Also getting Murray instead of fleury by happenstance as fleury had been a snake bitten playoff tender since his finals run. Finally it wasn't like the pens were getting demolished every year. 2012 and 2013 were the only years they were handily beaten in a series. The rangers beat us 2-1 every time they won in 2015. We had the rangers down 3-1 before lundqwist went crazy in 2014. Halak was unbelievable and we still had him down 3-2 in 2010. 2011 we had no Crosby and gave up a 3-1 series lead to Tampa. So yeah it's been a combo of bad luck and filtering out a bad playoff goalie and coach

Sullivan is a HUGE improvement over bylsma who seemed to always respond to adversity in the playoffs with "put Crosby and Malkin on the same line!" Even though that always ended up tiring them out. Also getting Murray instead of fleury by happenstance as fleury had been a snake bitten playoff tender since his finals run. Finally it wasn't like the pens were getting demolished every year. 2012 and 2013 were the only years they were handily beaten in a series. The rangers beat us 2-1 every time they won in 2015. We had the rangers down 3-1 before lundqwist went crazy in 2014. Halak was unbelievable and we still had him down 3-2 in 2010. 2011 we had no Crosby and gave up a 3-1 series lead to Tampa. So yeah it's been a combo of bad luck and filtering out a bad playoff goalie and coach

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was getting at. He actually makes changes when things aren't working in the middle of a game, he's smart about his decisions and thinks deeper than Malkin+Crosby if losing. Feels like most of our old coaches just kind of went on cruise control since we had talent and it would work out in the long run.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Didn't the Pens have trouble retaining Jagr during his captaincy years. When you got no money it's tough.

Lemieux saved the team while playing by dragging them out of the gutter, then saved them again by keeping them in Pittsburgh. Just a couple reasons why he's the true great one.

Marvie_3

Banned
Will the real slim Marvie please stand up.
CUBrX7M.gif

calder

@Michael_Traikos: Kessel on Subban: "I know what he's going through. Obviously he wants to win really bad because I'd say he got the shaft in Montreal."

The hockey media complex in Toronto would like to thank Phil Kessel for their next 24 hours of content.

The hockey media complex in Montreal would like to thank Phil Kessel for their next 72 hours of content.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Apparent Predators practice lines:
Forsberg-Sissons-Aberg
Arvidsson-Fisher-Neal
Wilson-Jarnkrok-Smith
Gaudreau-Fiddler-Watson

Pretty good, all things considered. Definitely agree with keeping Freddy around, even if not at C. McLeod would absolutely be a liability against the Pens.

RedRum

Banned
The hockey media complex in Toronto would like to thank Phil Kessel for their next 24 hours of content.

The hockey media complex in Montreal would like to thank Phil Kessel for their next 72 hours of content.

Kessel knows them feels.

zroid

Banned

Bless that awkward, introverted, beautiful man

RedRum

Banned
Doing a search, I came across Cherry's comments on Phil. Now Phil is certainly not my most favorite player but why are these fucking analysts always chirping about how guys warm up and/or celebrate. I don't get it. These guys are winning. WTF.

Quick

Banned
Doing a search, I came across Cherry's comments on Phil. Now Phil is certainly not my most favorite player but why are these fucking analysts always chirping about how guys warm up and/or celebrate. I don't get it. These guys are winning. WTF.

Not Canadian = bad.

Bobby Orr = God love him.

Americans = classless.

RedRum

Banned
Hey. We have class.

Sometimes. :)

I'm loving John Scott's quote on Subban from E:60 today.

”I don't like him. I think on the ice, he's a piece of garbage. Perceived as like a hot shot, [that] this guy thinks he's better than everybody"

Lol, Scott. Don't do this.

Hey. We have class.

Sometimes. :)

I'm loving John Scott's quote on Subban from E:60 today.

“I don’t like him. I think on the ice, he’s a piece of garbage. Perceived as like a hot shot, [that] this guy thinks he’s better than everybody”

Lol, Scott. Don't do this.

John Scott NHL All-Star was the biggest fucking joke....

RedRum

Banned
I thought he was fun to watch in the ASG, but you get one biopic movie deal in your name, and all of a sudden everyone else is garbage. Haha

PillarEN

I'll watch the John Scott biopic. I'll even buy a large popcorn and a large a Pepsi. I'll try to record it on my Huawei smartphone.

I don't have a Huawei smartphone.

What? John Scott has been the only guy in the history of mankind who's been able to make the usually garbage All Star shows watchable.

John Scott is a fucking hero, show some respect!

Dude's claim to fame before he became a All-Star on a prank was one time I jumped Phil Kessel in a pre-season game... fuck John Scott... him calling anyone else a piece of garbage is hilarious.

John Scott NHL All Star is almost emblematic of what's wrong with the modern NHL, where there almost seems to be a desire to drag the starts of the league down so that the goons and stoned handed grinders can "compete"

Like he basically cosplayed as an NHL player.

PillarEN

Dude's claim to fame was one time I jumped Phil Kessel in a pre-season game... fuck John Scott... him calling anyone else a piece of garbage is hilarious.

John Scott NHL All Star is almost emblematic of what's wrong with the modern NHL, where there almost seems to be a desire to drag the starts of the league down so that the goons and stoned handed grinders can "compete"

I mean the NHL tried as hard as they could to prevent him from going. I'd say they put more effort into it than looking at other cities to move the Yotes to.

Top Bottom