• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now I've seen/heard it all. Flat-Earth theory, really? WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't understand, all of these things are illusions, none of those things have ever happened. You're just believing what people have told you to believe.

Have you looked with your own eyes, look beyond the lies!

/s

It just really bothers me that we have millennia of study and research into stuff like this, all peer reviewed and studied without bias, and they think it can all be dismissed with "Where's the curve! Airplane windows have fisheye lenses!"

convo

The same geniuses have also come up with the idea that forests and trees aren't real. I'd say someone should convince them that the human skull is hollow and the human brain doesn't exist. And then someone will prove it to be true by sawing their own skull open.

RocknRola

There was a gaffer who thought the first Word War had the technological level of the middle-ages, and hell no i'm not gonna go find that post because i feel sorry for that guy. I also had a teacher who would microwave her creditcards and any other cards of hers that had a visible microchip to "not get spied on". There is no bottom to human stupidity, flat-earthers need to step up their game to impress me and not just remake a misconception from ancient times.

I...I... I'm not sure how to deal with what you just described. Holy shit.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It just really bothers me that we have millennia of study and research into stuff like this, all peer reviewed and studied without bias, and they think it can all be dismissed with "Where's the curve! Airplane windows have fisheye lenses!"

The funniest one I've seen so far is their take on space launches. You have to go near-horizontal after the initial climb to achieve escape velocity. Because of the curve of the earth, and because they refuse to entertain the possibility of said curve, they see this as the launch vehicles coming back down.

Markoman

Why does the sun disappear over the horizon if the earth is flat? Wouldn't it just remain high in the sky but fade out according to them? Why do we have different climates? Why do hurricanes rotate in different directions depending on the hemisphere?

I don't get how anyone can believe in a flat earth. It's like not believing that 2+2=4.

Well, single conspiracy theories don't exist in a vacuum. You start with the earth being flat and end up with secret societies covering the "fact".

We have to keep in mind that we're often using the term "rabbit hole" for a reason, as it symbolizes the descent into madness (see Alice in Wonderland)

If I had to come up with my own conspiracy theory I would say: "there is a genome that forces human beings to search for some kind of non-scientific believe". Conspiracy theories often come accross like some sort of methadone for religion.

Ahasverus

Antintellectualism is ruining modern civilization and you can thanks Hollywood for that, where in every story the scientist know nothing and the Everyman solves everything with his wit.

Moosichu

They didn't though. Columbus knew it was round, wasn't that the whole basis of his mission?

No, the basis of the mission was that Columbus thought the earth was smaller than everyone else did - meaning he thought he could easily sail to India by going West.

Columbus was completely wrong of course, but just happened to stumble accross a new Landmass. (He still thought he had landed in India though).

ramparter

Banned
61a.jpg

LOL

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Antintellectualism is ruining modern civilization and you can thanks Hollywood for that, where in every story the scientist know nothing and the Everyman solves everything with his wit.

Movies have been been around for well over a century. Two of the current major studios are over 100 years old.
It's really the internet and particularly the stupidity still that we call social media.

Bulbasaur

Banned
I had a conversation with a person who shared this view recently. It was like talking to somebody that believes in God, I tried my hardest to keep a straight face.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I had a conversation with a person who shared this view recently. It was like talking to somebody that believes in God, I tried my hardest to keep a straight face.

I just tell them I don't talk about truly stupid shit like it's real.

Mascot

Say what you like about these nut jobs, but conspiracy theories are a fuck-ton of fun to talk about.

I guess we all owe them that.

dno_1966

is there an official flat earth map of the world, I'm curious to see what's in the centre and where i am in relationship to it?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Speaking of winters, how do flat earthers explain that one if we're all on a flat surface? Shouldn't all regions get snow at the same time if that were the case? Let me guess, they have some dumb shit explanation just like the whole flat Earth thing to begin with.

HStallion

Say what you like about these nut jobs, but conspiracy theories are a fuck-ton of fun to talk about.

I guess we all owe them that.

Not really. I feel like I'm talking to a combination of a religious zealot and an ignorant child whenever I talk to anyone about crazy conspiracy theories. Its like people who believe in Bigfoot and then try to make insane explanations about why people can never catch Bigfoot on camera despite everyone and their mother having a camera phone. I've heard things from they're psychic so they know when we're coming to theories they have active camouflage like a squid and can change colors. Its fucking nonsense.

No, the basis of the mission was that Columbus thought the earth was smaller than everyone else did - meaning he thought he could easily sail to India by going West.

Columbus was completely wrong of course, but just happened to stumble accross a new Landmass. (He still thought he had landed in India though).

Yeah, going west to reach the east. The basis being that the world was round, so people in the 15th century didn't believe it was flat.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Speaking of winters, how do flat earthers explain that one if we're all on a flat surface? Shouldn't all regions get snow at the same time if that were the case? Let me guess, they have some dumb shit explanation just like the whole flat Earth thing to begin with.

Fairies do that.
I mean why not

StayDead

There's still vertical, it just means the world is a disk rather than a sphere.

I wonder if conspiracy theorists deep inside actually find comfort in believing that everything is controlled and follows a plan. That believe just makes the world much more comprehensive

I'd say that you're most likely right. 9/11 truthers who blame the government or some grand conspiracy are just unable to accept the fact that a bunch of dickheads flew two planes into a couple of buildings, which then led to a chain reaction of forces that caused them both to collapse. They want something or someone else besides the actual​ attackers to be behind it because it's easier to take out your anger on someone who is alive.

Isacc Asimov sums this whole shitshow up -
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.

convo

I...I... I'm not sure how to deal with what you just described. Holy shit.

Whenever these jokers come up with their flat earths and fake moon missions, i remain unimpressed. These guys aren't trying hard enough i say, they mostly qualify as mild amusement to me.

Markoman

is there an official flat earth map of the world, I'm curious to see what's in the centre and where i am in relationship to it?

Take a seat....before you click on the spoiler

latest

"Yes, the UN is basically laughing at our face" , Eric Dubay
Can you see the 33 districts? 33 is some freemason number, lol

Now, I shouldn't bite because I detest this flat earth bullshit, but do these dumb fucks believe only the Earth is flat? You can see the moon when it is waning is round as light from the sun illuminates part of the sphere. This is the case with any heavenly body that can be seen waning. And with either the naked eye or a telescope.
Now if it IS just the Earth that is flat (and not the Sun either I guess) then the subtext here is there must be a God to make the Earth unique.

Regardless, I will never engage these dipshits in conversation. They can fuck themselves.

tkscz

I'll stick to my guns and refuse to make fun of people for believing differently than I do, even when there is tons of evidence against what they believe, I won't make them feel like shit for believing it.

HStallion

I'll stick to my guns and refuse to make fun of people for believing differently than I do, even when there is tons of evidence against what they believe, I won't make them feel like shit for believing it.

Don't worry reality will do a fine enough job of doing that for you.

Telling them the truth =/ making them feel like shit?

Ignorance is dangerous man, people who believe this nonsense should be woken up, not kept in their dream world with nonsense rules and fabrications.

Would you allow your children to believe in something so stupid and nonsensical?

Fantastapotamus

"Oh, you think the Holocaust never happened and San Bernardino was a false flag set up by the secret Muslim Society as a means to take over the world? That's cool!"

Ignorance is harmful

Do you say this about holocaust deniers? "Virginia Tech was a haux"? How about Pizzagate, leading to armed lunatics going after innocent store owners?

I don't get how anyone can believe in a flat earth. It's like not believing that 2+2=4.

Funny you should mention that. I met a flerfer on Facebook last year who was adamant that 1+1 sometimes equaled 3. Not every time, as he was wont to reassure us. Just... sometimes.

I had to leave that conversation.

How does that explain a lunar eclipse?

There's supposed to be an invisible/dark object of equal size in rotation with the Sun and Moon.

Fantastapotamus

Do you say this about holocaust deniers? "Virginia Tech was a haux"? How about Pizzagate, leading to armed lunatics going after innocent store owners?

"Well, I do disagree that your kid doesn't need medicine and that a prayer to Quetacoaxel will heal it just as well, but you have every right to believe what you want"

Alright, this is one too many. I feel like in the past week I've come across more discussion about flat earth believers than the rest of my life combined. Facebook, reddit, GAF. Someone even brought it up in real life. Has actually been a general increase in interest on the topic lately?

same.

I'm almost starting to wonder if there are brain melting chemicals in contrails. At least that would help to make some sense of all this.

(or has Flat Earthery just reached dank may-may status?)

How does that explain a lunar eclipse?

oooh. there's a solar eclipse over much of the US later this year. Looking forward to seeing what the flat earthers come up with to """"explain"""" it.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
Is this an American thing like climate change denial? I've never met a single person in any facet of my social life or work life (which includes about 20 countries across Eurasia) who has mentioned this even once.

My first awareness of it was that last thread. The flat out denial of anything scientific makes it seem very American.

HStallion

There's supposed to be an invisible/dark object of equal size in rotation with the Sun and Moon.

This is actually something I think disproves this kind of nonsense for the sheer fact that there is an answer for everything down the most crazy detail. We don't even know most of the creatures living in the oceans or rain forests but we of course have all the answers to flat Earth questions. Again it's like arguing with a child in a lot of ways.

RocknRola

Whenever these jokers come up with their flat earths and fake moon missions, i remain unimpressed. These guys aren't trying hard enough i say, they mostly qualify as mild amusement to me.

I mean yeah, sure, they just come off as nutty but seriously that post I quoted... WW1 with medieval weapons? Microwaving credit cards!? A TEACHER OF ALL PEOPLE!?

WTF. Just, wtf. I can't.

This is actually something I think disproves this kind of nonsense for the sheer fact that there is an answer for everything down the most crazy detail. We don't even know most of the creatures living in the oceans or rain forests but we of course have all the answers to flat Earth questions. Again it's like arguing with a child in a lot of ways.

You'd think so, but human credulity is endlessly fascinating. The majority of the planet subscribes to belief in the Abrahamic deity. Just look at what that encompasses.

If you can solve a mystery with another mystery or explain a conspiracy with another conspiracy, you might be a flat Earth advocate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom