• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now I've seen/heard it all. Flat-Earth theory, really? WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkscz

Do you say this about holocaust deniers? "Virginia Tech was a haux"? How about Pizzagate, leading to armed lunatics going after innocent store owners?

You mean people who no matter how many times you tell them they refuse to believe you? Even with all the evidence in the world against them? Yes I let them believe it. If they are crazy enough to go gun toting over it, chances are no matter how much you yell at them, they won't believe you. Some people are stuck in a a mindset that makes them happy, even if it logically doesn't make sense, even if it's proven to them and they can see it with their own eyes. Global warming is a big one, and look at all the people in charge who don't believe it, even with all the proof, they deny it.

So yes, leave them be if they believe this hard. And when I say I won't treat them like shit, I meant make fun of them or call them names (lots of that going on in this thread).

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
You mean people who no matter how many times you tell them they refuse to believe you? Even with all the evidence in the world against them? Yes I let them believe it. If they are crazy enough to go gun toting over it, chances are no matter how much you yell at them, they won't believe you. Some people are stuck in a a mindset that makes them happy, even if it logically doesn't make sense, even if it's proven to them and they can see it with their own eyes. Global warming is a big one, and look at all the people in charge who don't believe it, even with all the proof, they deny it.

So yes, leave them be if they believe this hard. And when I say I won't treat them like shit, I meant make fun of them or call them names (lots of that going on in this thread).

So we shouldn't challenge Holocaust deniers?

Mascot

Not really. I feel like I'm talking to a combination of a religious zealot and an ignorant child whenever I talk to anyone about crazy conspiracy theories. Its like people who believe in Bigfoot and then try to make insane explanations about why people can never catch Bigfoot on camera despite everyone and their mother having a camera phone. I've heard things from they're psychic so they know when we're coming to theories they have active camouflage like a squid and can change colors. Its fucking nonsense.

Jesus - don't talk to them.

Talk about them.

SunAnimation.gif

So the sun only lights a small (ovular?) portion of the earth at a time yet lights entire facing sides of the moon and other planets simultaneously? Kay.

Oh no no no next they're gonna tell us that the moon and planets light themselves or have another light source don't you dare you piece of sh

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Best ASMR video I've heard. Cheers.

No lie. I've fallen asleep listening to that and a couple other of his Concave Earth videos more times than I care to admit.

If the whole Lord and Savior bit falls through he's got a great fallback career.

Has any of these flat earth groups actually tried to, yknow, get evidence?

Hire a company to launch a rocket that can see if the earth is really flat. Start an expedition to find the earth's edge.

Of course the joke is that none of it holds up to scrutiny. If they really believed, they'd stake their money and reputation on it to prove it. To be honest, anything less than that is just trying to make themselves feel big.

rjinaz

Has any of these flat earth groups actually tried to, yknow, get evidence?

Hire a company to launch a rocket that can see if the earth is really flat. Start an expedition to find the earth's edge.

Of course the joke is that none of it holds up to scrutiny. If they really believed, they'd stake their money and reputation on it to prove it. To be honest, anything less than that is just trying to make themselves feel big.

Yeah, truth be told, they don't want to know.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
So the sun only lights a small (ovular?) portion of the earth at a time yet lights entire facing sides of the moon and other planets simultaneously? Kay.

Oh no no no next they're gonna tell us that the moon and planets light themselves or have another light source don't you dare you piece of sh

They think that that the moon is its own light source and that the reason it's cold at night is that moonlight is like anti-sunlight and behaves like a cold ray.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Like I've asked everyone else who believes in this. Take me to the edge or the wall or whatever nonsense surrounds us. Seriously if you can prove to me that its true I'll give you everything I owe because it will be the most amazing thing I have ever found out about. Take your time, years even, but I won't accept anything but actually physical proof that I can stand on, touch and see with my own eyes.

They think that that the moon is its own light source and that the reason it's cold at night is that moonlight is like anti-sunlight and behaves like a cold ray.

And that's fukken stoopid

Like I've asked everyone else who believes in this. Take me to the edge or the wall or whatever nonsense surrounds us. Seriously if you can prove to me that its true I'll give you everything I owe because it will be the most amazing thing I have ever found out about. Take your time, years even, but I won't accept anything but actually physical proof that I can stand on, touch and see with my own eyes.

No no you see it's because of the conspiracy involving thousands of people that we've never seen the walls

And if I boat you out there and we still don't see it it means I was unconsciously helping the conspiracy all along through brainwashing. Save yourself, they're coming for you! You have to make it to the wall! I'll fend them off in one last act of bravery! Tell everyone what you saw! Take pictu ah shit we forgot the cameras

Rizific

funny i should see this thread today. i watched a 30min youtube video about this last night. i couldnt finish it because i wanted to punch myself in the fucking face.

nachum00

Wake up dude. The Earth is flat and the sun is just a giant flaming ball of garbage Nasa has hanging above our dome because the real sun died out in 1978.

Spectone

You can't see the wall because Antarctica is off limits the only people allowed there are scientists and military who are all in on the conspiracy. And there is definitely no tourism in Antarctica it is off limits. /s

What i love about flat Earth conspiracy is that every answer they give to a gap in their theory results in an even larger conspiracy.

For no real end reason. If the world was flat, science woudl say 'it's flat' and really lose no credibility. Because that's how science functions, it takes in facts, and generates theory. It doesn't launch into massive conspiracy when a theory doesn't pan out or new information comes to light.

CassSept

why is flat earth having such a huge resurgence anyways

Flat Earth Society was one of the Internet's longest-running and elaborate satirical sites where users came up with more and more ludicrous ways to explain how flat earth would work. No harm done, everyone knows earth is round and only a miniscule % of the population would be detached from the reality enough to believe that, right.

Well, the Internet became more and more widespread and more and more gullible people flocked to the Internet and fell for the joke, which over time had become quite intricate indeed. And they spread the lies and more and more people actually believed in it, to the point that it's actually noticeable in real life that belief in flat earth is gaining popularity.

So, a seemingly innocent joke over time snowballed into having actual impact on humanity's belief in science.

Fucking lol. That might actually be the stupidest thing I've read - light which is cold rather than warm.

I tried to read some of the first page but had to close it as I felt my brain beginning to dribble out of my ear.

Why can't we see the sun at night with a telescope.

The telescope manufacturers are in on this conspiracy along with the airlines, sailors, governments, science communities, astrologers, explorers, etc.

Fucking lol. That might actually be the stupidest thing I've read - light which is cold rather than warm.

I tried to read some of the first page but had to close it as I felt my brain beginning to dribble out of my ear.

The telescope manufacturers are in on this conspiracy along with the airlines, sailors, governments, science communities, astrologers, explorers, etc.
Are they professional peer reviewed astrologers?

MsKrisp

ysWVP5i.jpg

End of thread.

lmao

Yeah I don't get flat earthers. But they've been around forever, and have been featured a lot the last few years. They even have an official fancy sounding group, The Flat Earth Society.

I think people are giving humankind way too much credit when they think that grand large-scale conspiracies like this are possible.

caffeware

Banned
If anyone is interested, it was a guy named Eric Dubai one of the people who started this movement. He has a YouTube channel. Some say he is ex-cia or something.

MsKrisp

Flat Earth Society is a loooong running joke, or at least it used to be,

They've been an actual thing for a while, although not especially popular:

In 1956, Samuel Shenton, a signwriter by trade, created the International Flat Earth Society as a successor to the Universal Zetetic Society and ran it as "organizing secretary" from his home in Dover, England.
In 2004, Daniel Shenton (not related to Samuel) resurrected the Flat Earth Society, basing it around a web-based discussion forum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_flat_Earth_societies

Copenap

I'm still not convinced this isn't just some very elaborate trolling.
Everytime we have a thread on this I'll say it again. No way anybody is actually this dumb. It's just another anti establishment movements that happens to have chosen a very weird hill to die on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom