• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now I've seen/heard it all. Flat-Earth theory, really? WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydle

61a.jpg

This made me laugh so hard I startled my dog.

Thank you.

depths20XX

Sorry for the bump, but I've recently taken interest in this subject and would like to describe what most flat earthers believe.

-NASA is all lies.
-Satelites don't exist and and everything is transmitted by tubes underground
-Outer space doesn't exist and is some sort of dome of lights projected above Earth
-There's a giant ice wall (Antarctica) surrounding the Earth protected by the U.N. and 10,000 ships
-The Earth is the center of the "universe" when they can't even agree on the universe existing as a thing
-Gravity doesn't exist. People in Australia should fall off the Earth.
-The sun moves in a circle above the flat Earth. Showing a complete failure of how perspective works on a flat plane.
-They don't want us to know we live on a flat Earth because that would make us all feel more significant and unique. This all plays into some weird religious aspect of the flat earth idea.
-Free Masons, Jews, Rockefellers, etc. control everything. Every mass murder tragedy also seem to be a hoax to them including Sandy Hook, 9/11, etc.

I feel I gave the idea of this more time than was warranted but I can't come to any other conclusion than them being complete paranoid nut jobs.

They have a funny live channel on YouTube with around 200-400 constant viewers that you will immediately be banned from if you bring up conflicting evidence.

https://youtu.be/xKTRJN8o_3E

Since this got a bump. I was reading about some idea that people believe the Earth's gravity was weaker when the dinasours roamed the Earth. That this weaker gravity explains how some of them got so big.

But wouldn't the Earth need to be smaller for that to happen?

Yes.

And that's where the expanding Earth theory convfefes into play. The idea that Earth is expanding in size, like a balloon. Because it only makes sense that Earth is either a balloon or a pancake.

I mean, it's pretty simple to verify that Earth isn't flat. When you approach the horizon, why does it not move closer to you? Hmm. HMMM.

Or just attach a gopro to a balloon and observe the curvature of the Earth in the video.

Holy shit, I'm always amazed that this is still a thing.

Kinan

Spilled my coffee, damn you Gaf. So Sun is a flashlight now? Universe must be a very dark place for those people, lol. Do they claim that only Earth is flat? or is everything in Universe is flat, including Sun, other stars, planets, etc.

Would be probably a fun exercise to construct an Universe with physical laws where flat planets could exist (without reducing it to 2D, that would be cheating). Would need to have anisotropic gravity, or gravity depending not only on mass and distance.

I really wonder if for batshit anti science stupid ass opinions like this, the same amount of people in the world has always believed them and the internet gives them a voice or if the internet is creating them and causing more through reinforcement.

It wasn't long ago some dumbass might shit out some idea like this but no one would listen because the vast majority knew he wasn't credible and the people whose job it was to spread ideas didn't spread them. Now everyone can do that for themselves and reinforce these things to other idiots.

The internet was a mistake.

depths20XX

I really wonder if for batshit anti science stupid ass opinions like this, the same amount of people in the world has always believed them and the internet gives them a voice or if the internet is creating them and causing more through reinforcement.

It wasn't long ago some dumbass might shit out some idea like this but no one would listen because the vast majority knew he wasn't credible and the people whose job it was to spread ideas didn't spread them. Now everyone can do that for themselves and reinforce these things to other idiots.

The internet was a mistake.

I do think it's mostly a product of the internet. I hadn't heard about it until recently through a friend who told me about someone randomly spouting out flat earth theories to him. I then looked it up and found the garbage YouTube videos. It seems to have a lot of the same ideas with creationists, and most of them seem to be Christian and claim the Bible supports the flat Earth.

Trump is making stupid people in other countries brave
This appeared last night

mx2RJjA.jpg

Notice the word "research"

People think they are "researching" something by using google to find bullshit.
Yes it could be a troll but they are getting enabled too.

One cool thing that comes out of flat earth thoughts is this: if one lived on an infinite flat plane at earth gravity there would be no flat horizon the whole world would appear to curve up around you and meet at the top. Since light is bent by gravity, the sky becomes full of the image of distant parts of the flat world, like a freaky sky box

I guess in this infinite flat world a bunch of stupid people would start a society to claim they really live inside a hollow sphere.

Markoman

Sorry for the bump, but I've recently taken interest in this subject and would like to describe what most flat earthers believe.

-NASA is all lies.
-Outer space doesn't exist and is some sort of dome of lights projected above Earth
-There's a giant ice wall (Antarctica) surrounding the Earth protected by the U.N. and 10,000 ships
-The Earth is the center of the "universe" when they can't even agree on the universe existing as a thing
-The sun moves in a circle above the flat Earth. Showing a complete failure of how perspective works on a flat plane.
-They don't want us to know we live on a flat Earth because that would make us all feel more significant and unique. This all plays into some weird religious aspect of the flat earth idea.
-Free Masons, Jews, Rockefellers, etc. control everything. Every mass murder tragedy also seem to be a hoax to them including Sandy Hook, 9/11, etc.

I feel I gave the idea of this more time than was warranted but I can't come to any other conclusion than them being complete paranoid nut jobs.

They have a funny live channel on YouTube with around 200-400 constant viewers that you will immediately be banned from if you bring up conflicting evidence.

Ok, so this is how it looks like when someone deliberately chooses to be stupid. I believe flat-earthers are people who got bored with the usual conspiracy theories so they needed to expand their fictional universe.

Moneal

-NASA is all lies.

I thought it was the Rothchild world bank folks running the show. Keeping all the wealth and land past Antarctica for themselves. After all we live in just one crater in the ice. /s

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Holy fucking shit this is amazing. People are so goddamn stupid.

Edit: It's 90 seconds later and I regret everything. Ugh.
Lol I honestly think the guy on there thinks flights don't go over the polar caps.

Couldn't even watch that channel for more than a minute

Holy shit I watched 3 minutes of that stupid YouTube feed

The guy is going on about a flight in the news that had stop in Alaska because someone gave birth. The flight was from Taiwan to LA.

He points out on his little inflatable Globe onto which he has _drawn a line from Taiwan to LA over Hawaii_ - why did they stop in ALASKA? He says. Then pulls out his flat projection and shows how obviously Alaska is a logical stop using a simple line. Ah ha! the world is really flat.

Holy crap
Surrounded by maps and projections, and has no clue about great circle paths.
It's not like it isn't first hit in google or anything
http://www.greatcirclemapper.net/en/great-circle-mapper/route/KLAX-RCTP/aircraft/235.html

azyless

.....wut.... Those words, put together, don't make sense :v
Spending 5 minutes on a flat earthers forum is honestly illuminating when it comes to how dumb people are.
I think my personal favorites are the more simple sentences, like "educate yourself, everyone knows satellites are a myth".

Trump is making stupid people in other countries brave
This appeared last night

mx2RJjA.jpg

Notice the word "research"

People think they are "researching" something by using google to find bullshit.
Yes it could be a troll but they are getting enabled too.

My very conspiracy-prone friend constantly refers to his reading shit on the internet (mostly from obviously fake news sites, or at least ones with very dubious sources) as having "thoroughly researched" a topic, and then gets all bent out of shape when others "haven't done the research" that he has when they argue with him.

It gets tired pretty quick.

Garruson

Jesus proved it was flat thousands of years ago when he walked off the edge to ascend... descend... carry on walking straight into heaven.

Harmen

I am interested, what are the theories on what is at the edge and what's underneath earth? And why don't people go search for their hypothetical edge themselves?

For the record, I am aware this theory is laughably stupid, hell, it is insultingly stupid actually. But it amazes me to what extent people bring up little details to back their nonsense theories.

RocknRola

Spending 5 minutes on a flat earthers forum is honestly illuminating when it comes to how dumb people are.
I think my personal favorites are the more simple sentences, like "educate yourself, everyone knows satellites are a myth".

lol

I wonder how they think stuff like GPS's work.

I just assume that most flat earthers are being deliberately obstinate or are just trolls. Like, they all make such a big deal about it precisely because it gets people so riled up. At least the ones I've met anyway. That or its some kind of secret handshake or in-joke that I don't get.

VDenter

Banned
I am just waiting here for the website to update and say something along the lines of that this is all just elaborate trolling and that they dont actually believe any of this.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Ok, so this is how it looks like when someone deliberately chooses to be stupid. I believe flat-earthers are people who got bored with the usual conspiracy theories so they needed to expand their fictional universe.

Or people that just can't deal with reality in the world and have to make up "fun" stories to keep things interesting or less sad.

Mascot

I just assume that most flat earthers are being deliberately obstinate or are just trolls. Like, they all make such a big deal about it precisely because it gets people so riled up. At least the ones I've met anyway. That or its some kind of secret handshake or in-joke that I don't get.

Plural?

I would LOVE to meet just ONE flat-earther.

Plural?

I would LOVE to meet just ONE flat-earther.

I work with some pretty ridiculous people. Nice guys but they love conspiracy theories and will latch on to any one that comes their way. That said I'm pretty sure the whole flat earth thing is mostly relegated to the internet and the NBA for some reason, it doesn't seem nearly as common as, say, fake moon landing, JFK, 9/11 inside job, or chemtrails. Stuff like that.

rjinaz

I don't think so. I mean yeah there are some that do that, but just like youtube comments that are awful and people say "it's just trolls" the reality is there are a lot of people that are just awful. In this case, there are a lot of people that are gullible and or paranoid.

Rookhelm

People get off on knowing things others don't. To "be in on" the secret. It's an ego thing. "I'm open minded enough to accept these things" or "I'm not sheep", or "I'm enlightened".

They're in subconscious denial, and it makes them feel good.

This is what is crazy to me about Flat Earth specifically. Even if you buy in to the idea the Earth is flat. Even if you buy in that NASA lies and just makes up these pictures or puts CGI videos on the internet to fool people.

For this stuff to be true, that would mean that science itself has to be made up too. At least mathematics and physics. Probably even chemistry and biology...and certainly geology.

Who is the genius that was able to "invent" fake math, or "invent" fake physics that happen to explain why planets are round and how gravity works and how orbits work and how light refraction works...basically every single observable thing.

Would all have to be fake. Preposterous.

People get off on knowing things others don't. To "be in on" the secret. It's an ego thing. "I'm open minded enough to accept these things" or "I'm not sheep", or "I'm enlightened".

They're in subconscious denial, and it makes them feel good.

This is what is crazy to me about Flat Earth specifically. Even if you buy in to the idea the Earth is flat. Even if you buy in that NASA lies and just makes up these pictures or puts CGI videos on the internet to fool people.

For this stuff to be true, that would mean that science itself has to be made up too. At least mathematics and physics. Probably even chemistry and biology...and certainly geology.

Who is the genius that was able to "invent" fake math, or "invent" fake physics that happen to explain why planets are round and how gravity works and how orbits work and how light refraction works...basically every single observable thing.

Would all have to be fake. Preposterous.

Even better: you would have to believe that not only did they invent "fake" math, physics, etc, but that they did so in such a way as for it to seem real and consistent and work in all the ways a Flat Earther tacitly acknowledges simple by living (which includes basically every single thing you interact with in a given day).

Elandyll

Banned

Of all the shit Flat Earthers have to rationalize to fight, you know, science and common sense, this one probably gets me the most.

Trump or Brad Pitt can't take a piss without a photo or video showing up on TMZ or Politico, but apparently we live in Westeros, and the Wall is garded by 10.000 ships (manned by hundreds of thousands of sailors then?) and not a single actual leak, not a single tele photo, not a single drone grainy video...

And they push it as fact?

I still can't believe some people actually believe it. Even in a world where Trump is President, people can't be this stupid.
It's got to be a meme perpetuated for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom