• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2014 Thread | April 11-13, 2014 | It's Finally Spring

Necrovex

Really wish I could have made it out on Sunday night, but my friends pretty much got tired of the show at 4 pm, and I wasn't about to keep them there.

Well that and the fact that I was up early on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I was burned out. Friday night...man.

I'm still bummed that I couldn't make the Sunday meet up. The picture CF_Fighter posted on his FB page made the beer and pretzel so bloody delicious.

I went to Harpoon again today and over to Night Shift in the Bunker Hill area. They had some fantastic beers. This weekend has really made me rethink how I have always said I would never leave my hometown.

Thank you to everyone who made my first PAX and big convention such a memorable experience. Might be back up in a couple months, but will be back for 2015 for sure. Would love to connect with some of you all on FB so send me a PM.

Now I'm going to install a weight pulley in my car and sweat profusely because, in the words of Lincoln Hawk, "The world never meets you halfway."

There was a lot of controversy a few months ago when the PAX organizers announced the "Roll for Diversity Hub and Lounge". I actually thought it sounded like a good way to help promote diversity at the event. Now that PAX East is over, what do you think of the idea, and its implementation thus far?

We went in and looked around for a bit. Either everyone there was a bit tired (it was Sunday), or I dunno what, but it didn't feel too engaging to be there (and I'm already pretty engaged in these topics). Though there were some people with tables set up talking to con goers, no one who wasn't busy was necessarily trying to get my attention.

It seemed a bit token, maybe? It was in a room, away from all the showfloor crowds. The plus side is that it's a nice, chill place, and a fair amount of people were hanging out on beanbags with their laptops , and I guess that's cool for people who want to find and hang out with like minded people. The downside is that their message is hidden away for only those who will (quite literally) walk through the door.

I don't know if the people who most benefit from the diversity lounge prefer it to be a sanctuary rather than something on an insane show floor, where everyone is trying to sell something as loud as possible. On the other hand, maybe diversity is an idea that needs to be put out there, demo'd, and marketed.

Went in and chatted with Charles Battersby and Shidoshi. (Sad I missed the panel. Argh. That's the third year in a row. I will make one of these one year.) I like the space. It's cozy, friendly and welcoming. That said, it has the problem that as mentioned, it's a hard sell and generally the people who care are not the people who most need to understand why it exists and learn from it.

The people there were awesome, and I will definitely wear my Roll for Diversity lanyard with pride. However...I don't know how well it worked out. In some ways, it really does feel like LBGT* is being shoved into its own little corner where it will be overlooked by most. On the other hand, because it was its own room, there was the ability to have meaningful conversations as well as relax with cool people on the bean bags.

So I'm of two-minds about it. I figure if anyone, Shidoshi probably has the best take on it. So hopefully we'll get some input there.

As far as the rest of PAX is concerned, eh, the Expo hall was weak this year, the indies games were still nifty, and STEEL BATTALION. (Had a chat with an Enforcer about the nature of PAX Prime vs East, where Prime is coming off of E3 and all about the AAA titles and big companies, whereas East has a slightly older average attendee age and a bigger focus on the indies and classic games. (See: Arcade Museum, strong Classic Console area, and STEEL BATTALION.))

I was sad that ACAM wasn't here as well. Need my pinball fix. I didn't do too much in the way of panels, but I did swing by OCRemix. Neither Larry nor David were there, which was weird, but some of the other bigwigs recognized me and that was fun.

Let's see...what else. Chatted with the team behind Curse of the Necrodancer, which is still a hilarious and awesome concept. Rhythm-based rogue-like? Yes please. The fact that someone suggested a DDR pad at PAX Prime, and they've fully implemented it into the game come this PAX East is especially hilarious. Talk about taking fan feedback!

Also chatted with Christine Love. She's pretty awesome. I REALLY need to play Hate Plus. (...but it's only on Steam. Mrgrgr.)

I'm also impressed I managed to COMPLETELY FAIL TO MAKE ANY GAF Meetups. Gah. Maybe next year everyone.

Hope everyone made it back safe and had a good time. (And whee, streetpasses. Just hit 15200.)

Still bummed i passed out on friday night after spending the entire day there, guess i wasn't prepared, that really was the only day i had free, cause saturday i went to see an old friend and yesterday was my dads birthday dinner

the PAX wrestlemania was my first ever panel haha, to be able to get in 15 minutes after it started is how i want to go to panels :p

that last hour/right at 6 pm, everyone was basically in "GIVE ME MODE" for everything and stuff was handed out like crazy, LoL was swarmed with free stuff, i got a a plush from project spark and i didn't watch the live demo *runs away*

next year im booking a hotel right next to the convention center cause i got tired going all the way home each day, plus i will meet some of you guys :( smh at myself

Sanjuro

I also didn't describe my mental breakdown / awkward situation.

MAYBE I'LL TELL YOU ABOUT IT NEXT PAX! It'll be the killer app on the floor.

next year im booking a hotel right next to the convention center cause i got tired going all the way home each day, plus i will meet some of you guys :( smh at myself
Yeah, I know that feel. On the one hand, I spent 2/3 less than I would have on a hotel. On the other hand, using public transit is a time sink, so dropping off heavy merch took a couple hours round trip.

My memory is also falling me. Who else did I meet Friday night? I remember Sober, but everyone else's GAF name escaped me. I do remember someone showing me a space invader avatar.

Fuck, I must have been out of it, haha.

Yeah, I know that feel. On the one hand, I spent 2/3 less than I would have on a hotel. On the other hand, using public transit is a time sink, so dropping off heavy merch took a couple hours round trip.

My memory is also falling me. Who else did I meet Friday night? I remember Sober, but everyone else's GAF name escaped me. I do remember someone showing me a space invader avatar.

Fuck, I must have been out of it, haha.
Yup, always book as close as possible. This year I sort of let it slip and had other people do it, and since it was like a 30 minute drive away, it sort of made a lot of things not possible.

I was there friday, but did I meet you?

Really wish I could have made it out on Sunday night, but my friends pretty much got tired of the show at 4 pm, and I wasn't about to keep them there.

Well that and the fact that I was up early on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I was burned out. Friday night...man.

What happened Friday night

Pau

We're looking for a game we saw at PAX, but can't remember the name of (and it's not showing up on any sites). It was a isometric turn-based strategy game with colorful graphics (something like Final Fantasy Tactics), and it was being played on a tablet. Anybody catch the name or anything?

Anyone else getting smacked in the face brutally by post-pax depression? God I already can't wait until next year.

Until then it's back to the real world...

Anyone else getting smacked in the face brutally by post-pax depression? God I already can't wait until next year.

Until then it's back to the real world...

Not just you. This happens every single year to me without fail. Not to mention it's the one event that I get to see my friends at all since everyone got real life stuff to contend with.

That being said, I absolutely loved the Indie Megabooth they got set up (even won a free copy of Nuclear Throne!). On the other end of the spectrum, I tried for all 3 days to rush to get on line for the Evolve demo but it's always packed. Four hour wait? No way, I'll be at the Heroes of the Storm booth right across from them.

Jhoan

Aww man after looking through my mirror less camera shots, I realized that I regret not carrying my bag through the moments where I wish I had it on me; many of those moments I used my crappy phone camera and 3DS camera.=/

That being said, here are a small handful of shots I took with said mirror less camera. Also I should warn you all not to click on the pics to blow them up since they're MASSIVE and bad quality when blown up.

At Whiskey Priest:
s6fAhff.jpg

Jeff Gerstmann at Whiskey Priest on Friday night. I should have cranked the ISO to the max since it has too much noise (read: it looks grainy):

Saw Chasm for a few minutes. It looks pretty kick ass:

Ran into this trio of game developers that post on a popular gaming forum and tried out their game. It was pretty cool:

Crappy 3DS selfies with Jeffs Green and Gertsmann and the other GB crew are next until my friend uploads the better quality pics he took with his camera.

Sober

Quadratic! Check in! Did you miss your flight? I think it would've been the same plane had it not been stuck at Pearson for the entire afternoon and most of the evening.

Coppanuva

We're looking for a game we saw at PAX, but can't remember the name of (and it's not showing up on any sites). It was a isometric turn-based strategy game with colorful graphics (something like Final Fantasy Tactics), and it was being played on a tablet. Anybody catch the name or anything?

Sadly I don't know, but I would love to find out. Any idea where it was? What major booths/area it might've been near?

Quadratic

Quadratic! Check in! Did you miss your flight? I think it would've been the same plane had it not been stuck at Pearson for the entire afternoon and most of the evening.

My flight was 30 mins delayed and we ended up at Billy Bishop. However, due to the problems earlier we were on the runway maybe 20 extra mins? We disembarked around 8:30pm ish instead of the 7:20pm scheduled.

It sounds like you guys went through a nightmare.

I got back home like an hour ago.

Yup. That flight was certainly interesting. But hey, PAX Flight = Mario Kart 7 on the terminal gate. I swear that was the most gaming i did for the entire week.

Sober

Yup. That flight was certainly interesting. But hey, PAX Flight = Mario Kart 7 on the terminal gate. I swear that was the most gaming i did for the entire week.
Now I have to buy MK7?

Oh and Bravely Default still.

Good thing your flight didn't go fucked up like ours did.

Allforce

Is it pretty easy/common to find scalpers at East? I went to Prime last fall and despite buying my tickets through the proper channels the amount of people out each day scalping (for fair prices too, normally not much more than face value) was pretty good to see.

I'd like to check out Boston next year but I don't want to go through the insanity of the Twitter post mad dash for tickets again through their official online site. I'd rather just buy them at the door and go about my business.

Is it pretty easy/common to find scalpers at East? I went to Prime last fall and despite buying my tickets through the proper channels the amount of people out each day scalping (for fair prices too, normally not much more than face value) was pretty good to see.

I'd like to check out Boston next year but I don't want to go through the insanity of the Twitter post mad dash for tickets again through their official online site. I'd rather just buy them at the door and go about my business.
Unlike Seattle, it's illegal to scalp in Boston.

Allforce

That doesn't really answer the question though. Could I purchase some tickets easily enough outside the venue? Were there scalpers out and about?

I'm pretty sure I could get Red Sox tickets right outside Fenway before any game. Scalping may be "illegal" but you're never going to see someone arrested for it anywhere.

That doesn't really answer the question though. Could I purchase some tickets easily enough outside the venue? Were there scalpers out and about?

I'm pretty sure I could get Red Sox tickets right outside Fenway before any game. Scalping may be "illegal" but you're never going to see someone arrested for it anywhere.

I saw some people scalping, but I don't know for how much.

Jhoan

Ahh yeah! My friend uploaded the Giant Bomb pictures so here they are.I have pics with Brad and Drew as well in my 3DS. As a quick side note Jeff following my "Hey there small business owner line" for a couple minutes made his face light up on Saturday night:

Getting choked by Dr. Tracksuit:
Jeff Green AKA Sun Bro Slayer:

The Vin Doggy AKA Vinco:
Scoops:

And The Wolf:

there were random guys selling their tickets each day, also on craigs list but that is kinda risky cause it might be fake, I bought two sunday passes at 4 pm on the last day for my cousins cause they never been so there are always buyers, i paid $20 for two passes for two hours, they had fun and got lots of free stuff haha

some people in this thread were selling their passes at cost a week/days before it started so check here before it starts next year

Unlike Seattle, it's illegal to scalp in Boston.

lol there are always scalpers in Boston, for every sporting event , concerts and etc, the police basically don't care

Josh5890

Does anyone else think that putting Pax South 2015 6 weeks away from Pax East 2015 is a bad idea. I love the idea of another opportunity to go to a Pax but I think that two close conventions will be taking away from each other.

border

If you searched for "PAX" on the Boston Craigslist there were pages of people selling passes in the last week.

I got 3 passes from GAF people on my own, since my sisters wanted to try it out on the last day.

mcw

Does anyone else think that putting Pax South 2015 6 weeks away from Pax East 2015 is a bad idea. I love the idea of another opportunity to go to a Pax but I think that two close conventions will be taking away from each other.

This is actually why they're doing it. The organizers of PAX are hoping that having four PAX events throughout the year will help normalize attendance at each of them.

Josh5890

This is actually why they're doing it. The organizers of PAX are hoping that having four PAX events throughout the year will help normalize attendance at each of them.

Yea but these cost A LOT of money for developers and there was already a noticeable drop in companies attending East this year that attended last year. I would just hate to see developers have to chose and then people buy a ticket for one Pax but their favorite developer goes to another.

maybe I'm thinking too much into it but I'm considering going to Pax South next year and I hope that there will be a full Pax experience there.

RobertM

Are you talking about the RPG that looked exactly like Jean D'arc?

border

Yea but these cost A LOT of money for developers and there was already a noticeable drop in companies attending East this year that attended last year. I would just hate to see developers have to chose and then people buy a ticket for one Pax but their favorite developer goes to another.

maybe I'm thinking too much into it but I'm considering going to Pax South next year and I hope that there will be a full Pax experience there.

At this point I think the best they can hope for is getting a lot of participation from regional indie developers that are close to each show.

I think every PAX is going to see waning attendance from AAA publishers though. Between PAX South, GDC, PAX East, E3, PAX Prime, and Gamescom they probably won't have the time or budget to attend everything. PAX East might be the big loser since it is so close to GDC.

At this point I think the best they can hope for is getting a lot of participation from regional indie developers that are close to each show.

I think every PAX is going to see waning attendance from AAA publishers though. Between PAX South, GDC, PAX East, E3, PAX Prime, and Gamescom they probably won't have the time or budget to attend everything. PAX East might be the big loser since it is so close to GDC.
GDC shouldn't matter in that aspect, because if you have a game to show, GDC isn't the place to show it: it's not a fan outreach location, it doesn't have the potential word of mouth, and the floorspace is usually reserved for industry software/tools/networking stuff. PAXEast's potentially biggest issues (along with the new one in Texas) is the timing - Jan - March, thre just isn't going to be a whole lot new to show off.

Regional indies? I'm not sure how much is in the Boston scene. I half joked about how much of that indie megabooth is from Toronto, but there's some truth to it, and I wonder what people think about the indie booth next year if these same guys show up with the same games again (cause that's usually how the indie dev cycle can last). I also think it's very telling that the remaining Boston dev houses weren't exactly there with booths (and it hasn't been a good year for that region).

GDC shouldn't matter in that aspect, because if you have a game to show, GDC isn't the place to show it: it's not a fan outreach location, it doesn't have the potential word of mouth, and the floorspace is usually reserved for industry software/tools/networking stuff. PAXEast's potentially biggest issues (along with the new one in Texas) is the timing - Jan - March, thre just isn't going to be a whole lot new to show off.

Regional indies? I'm not sure how much is in the Boston scene. I half joked about how much of that indie megabooth is from Toronto, but there's some truth to it, and I wonder what people think about the indie booth next year if these same guys show up with the same games again (cause that's usually how the indie dev cycle can last). I also think it's very telling that the remaining Boston dev houses weren't exactly there with booths (and it hasn't been a good year for that region).

I don't know how PAX South is intending to work with the current Prime = Big Companies, East = Classic + Indies dynamic.

It feels kind of awkwardly placed, and while I understand the motivation to try to alleviate some of the ticket hell that exists, I'm unsure of what the end result will be. (I mean, the purpose of East was to do the same thing...totally didn't work.)

Jipan: ...whelp, now I feel silly. Pretty sure I saw you several times over the course of PAX.

Grifter

Great meeting so many gaffers! I wasn't around the show nearly as much this year but caught the closing ceremonies. Anti-climactic Omegathon finale for the second straight year.

The expo lines have gotten out of hand outside of indies but that gave me a chance to roam indies more and discover titles for myself..

What's Mr. Henry's user name? Thought I'd hit him up for some USF4 since we were discussing it and are pretty closely located.

It feels kind of awkwardly placed, and while I understand the motivation to try to alleviate some of the ticket hell that exists, I'm unsure of what the end result will be. (I mean, the purpose of East was to do the same thing...totally didn't work.)
Creating multiple ones were intended on alleviating some of that, but a)there are people that can afford it and will do both and b)people smartened up to the fact that Prime is still a better convention with newer stuff to see, more to do, and a better location for exploring a city. Somehow, East has managed to lose more panels. I didn't hear much about how Aus worked out, and I question whether this new one will work.

The expo lines have gotten out of hand outside of indies but that gave me a chance to roam indies more and discover titles for myself.
I wouldn't call that transistors 2 hour line "not out of hand".

Grifter

I wouldn't call that transistors 2 hour line "not out of hand".

It's relative, but I'm impatient and only stopped where I could actually see the screens up close. I'm increasing treating PAX East as a chance to check out table top games and see friends spread thruout the northeast.

It's relative, but I'm impatient and only stopped where I could actually see the screens up close. I'm increasing treating PAX East as a chance to check out table top games and see friends spread thruout the northeast.
That was the on mission for me, spend more time at the tabletop section, and definitely got a few new ideas for games i'd like to make/play later on. Was sort of surprised how packed this year got in that area.

Grifter

That was the on mission for me, spend more time at the tabletop section, and definitely got a few new ideas for games i'd like to make/play later on. Was sort of surprised how packed this year got in that area.

A big reason why I've tried hard (and failed) to stay at the Westin. Could hang around the center since TT runs late and spills over into the hotel (altho they closed this year at midnight instead of 2a, which is another way the show feels more scaled back).

lol there are always scalpers in Boston, for every sporting event , concerts and etc, the police basically don't care

I don't doubt there are people here and there, but I've never personally witnessed it. In any case, it's a far cry from Prime where you literally have 20+ scalpers yelling over each other "GET YOUR PASSES HERE" and 40 others harassing attendees to give their passes up.

Sanjuro

I don't doubt there are people here and there, but I've never personally witnessed it. In any case, it's a far cry from Prime where you literally have 20+ scalpers yelling over each other "GET YOUR PASSES HERE" and 40 others harassing attendees to give their passes up.

You just described all Boston sporting events.

Top Bottom