• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Store 11/12/09 – Braid (US)

Dragona Akehi said:
Grade-A Bullsheet here.

Now I know that Vagrant Story is truly beloved and all, but even with that explanation, why Vagrant Story is so great will always avoid me. Having to go through your inventory in the middle of battle to equip and reequip items made combat in that game a chore. Also, walking into a boss room and having them cast a spell that immediatly kills you just doesn`t seem very fair to me. I feel like Vagrant Story wanted to have this dungeon crawl gameplay, but has systems that are not really intuitive to the experience. Its like a Parasite Eve spinoff plopped in the middle of a Nethack clone. I ended up in that game being able to completely incapasitate foes, but only do mininal damage to them with no idea where I went wrong. I spent like 20 minutes on one fight blinding and paralysing them and not being able to kill them before I just quit.

I really wanted to like that game, but it just hates me for some reason.

Blablurn said:
good luck :lol

Seriously, if it's not on PSN I might just sell the PSPgo and get a PSP 3000 instead. I'm tired of not being able to play key PSP games on my PSPgo. First Lumines I/II and now potentially PES 2010?!? It's one of the biggest sports franchises out there. Why in the world would Konami not release it on PSN?

Rolf NB

TheShampion said:
Now I know that Vagrant Story is truly beloved and all, but even with that explanation, why Vagrant Story is so great will always avoid me. Having to go through your inventory in the middle of battle to equip and reequip items made combat in that game a chore. Also, walking into a boss room and having them cast a spell that immediatly kills you just doesn`t seem very fair to me. I feel like Vagrant Story wanted to have this dungeon crawl gameplay, but has systems that are not really intuitive to the experience. Its like a Parasite Eve spinoff plopped in the middle of a Nethack clone. I ended up in that game being able to completely incapasitate foes, but only do mininal damage to them with no idea where I went wrong. I spent like 20 minutes on one fight blinding and paralysing them and not being able to kill them before I just quit.

I really wanted to like that game, but it just hates me for some reason.
One of the "advanced" strategies is to reflect damage. Usually does more damage than your weapon and keeping healed up is relatively easy.

Dragona,
it's easy enough to end up in the forest section without a slash weapon, and best of luck slogging through that section then. It's not even that you die and fail, the game isn't hard like that, it's just that stuff takes forever to kill.

Basically the first fusion room should have a sign in front of that saying "Never use this room lolz". Or fusion should just be designed better.

And that's the thing. A lot of the gameplay pitfalls are poor design. Other developers have implemented the same ideas in better ways, that don't punish experimentation and don't make your game unsalvagable several hours after you did something you couldn't possibly know would ruin your progress. That's why better games are better and Vagrant Story? Not so great.

When we rate the quality of an old game, we do it by comparation with the games that were in that moment.

For example, FF VII. After it, there were RPG with better mechanics. RPG with much better controls (walking in certain areas with the 4-direction controls is a pain in the ass). RPG with better story. Of course, RPG with better graphics (remember the blocky hands).

But, when FF VII came out, in 97, with nearly all RPG in a cenital sprite way (the top-noch technology was being able to rotate 90% the screen, in the games with basic 3D maps), the difference with a game with cinematic experience, that mixed 3D characters with prerrendered maps and even videos, allowing any possible camera (instead of a cenital or isometric fixed one), and a huge variety of gameplays, was a lot of degrees better than any existant game. That's why FF VII got all the love, and is still a masterpiece.

With Vagrant Story is the same. The graphics were incredible in that moment, the amount of tactics and weapon custom amazing for an "action-rpg", the cinematic experience, with a non-topical plot and well-done ingame scenes, impressive. Even if later came a lot of better games than VS, the important is how better it was to the other games when it launched.

kassatsu

Banned
eu.png
NOW UP!
/!\ Some content not available in every Store.

Demos

► Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier
○ 243 MB

PSP Games

► Full Games
○ Major League Baseball 2K9 (£11.99 | €14.99)
○ Mana Khemia: Student Alliance (£19.99 | €24.99)
○ Street Fighter Alpha Max 3 (£13.99 | €17.99)

► minis
○ Circles Circles Circles (£2.49 | €2.99)
○ D-Cube Planet (£2.49 | €2.99)
○ Bubble Trubble (£3.99 | €4.99)

Add-ons

► Burnout Paradise
○ Big Surf Bundle (£27.99 | €34.99)

► Buzz!
○ Euro Sports Quiz (£3.99 | €4.99)

► Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce (PSP)
○ Additional Quests 7

► Fallout 3 (Spanish Version)
○ Broken Steel (€7.99)
○ Operation Anchorage (€7.99)
○ The Pitt (€7.99)
○ Point Lookout (€7.99)
○ Mothership Zeta (€7.99)

► EyePet
○ Lucky Dip Styling Pack 4

► Guitar Hero 5
○ Lenny Kravitz Track Pack (£4.39 | €5.49 or £1.59 | €1.99 each)
♪ Fly Away by Lenny Kravitz
♪ Lady by Lenny Kravitz
♪ Let Love Rule by Lenny Kravitz

► Pain
○ Fat Princess Pack
○ Speed Oocher Pack (£1.59 | €1.99)

► Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic
○ Mistress of Mime
○ Shaolin Scarecrow

► Rock Band
○ White Stripes Pack 01 (£2.49 | €3.99 or £0.99 | €1.49 each)
♪ Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground by White Stripes
♪ Girl, You Have No Faith in Medicine by White Stripes
♪ Icky Thump by White Stripes
○ Singles (£0.59 | €0.79 — £0.99 | €1.49 each)
♪ A Day Like This – SpongeBob SquarePants
♪ Club Foot by Kasabian
♪ Employee of the Month – SpongeBob SquarePants
♪ Ridin’ the Hook – SpongeBob SquarePants
♪ Smash It Up (Part II) by The Damned

► Rock Band Unplugged (PSP)
○ Singles (£0.99 | €1.49 each)
♪ Excuse Me Mr. by No Doubt
♪ I’m Shipping Up To Boston by Dropkick Murphys

videos

► Avatar
○ Dev Diary 2

► Dante’s Inferno
○ Anger Dev Diary

► Just Cause 2
○ Island of Panua Mini Doc 2

► Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
○ Launch Trailer

Themes & Wallpapers

► PS3 Premium Themes
○ King Zumo Theme (£1.19 | €1.49)
○ Cavalier Warrior Theme (£1.19 | €1.49)
○ Wise Father Theme (£1.19 | €1.49)
○ Yuefeng Theme (£1.19 | €1.49)

kassatsu said:
eu.png
NOW UP!
/!\ Some content not available in every Store.

PSP Games

► Full Games
○ Major League Baseball 2K9 (£11.99 | €14.99)

I'm sure most Europeans were looking forward to this way much more than PES 2010.

Kuraudo said:
Any videos of the themse anywhere?

Those european premium ones? They are all static, if your talking about the eyepet/demon souls ones someone posted a link to them on page 2 I beleive.

Also nothing for me this week, will get the eyepet pack tho if I ever bother to open and use the game tho (this week could really have used vagrant story)

Kuraudo

Banned
kyo_daikun said:
Those european premium ones? They are all static, if your talking about the eyepet/demon souls ones someone posted a link to them on page 2 I beleive.

Also nothing for me this week, will get the eyepet pack tho if I ever bother to open and use the game tho (this week could really have used vagrant story)

Yeah, meant the Euro premium ones. Assumed they were animated for some reason :(

jvm

Gamasutra.
Gamecocks625 said:
Ah was about to post this. Nice surprise! I'll definitely pick up the HSG theme...maybe the bowling theme as well.
Apparently the Lumines-themed table was nixed.

jvm said:
Apparently the Lumines-themed table was nixed.

:D

PS Blog said:
For me, the coolest thing about Pinball Heroes is that if you dig pinball, you’ll really like any of the tables because of the diverse set of challenges that each one features, including an in-game trophy shelf, in-game trophies, online leaderboards, and an assortment of modes that keep the game exciting and fun.

Sounds good!

jvm

Gamasutra.
Rotated view sounds horrible for PSPgo. :( Hope it's playable in the standard view.

Uncharted looks like the least interesting table. Shame about that. HSG and HVB look most interesting.

I've never cared a whit for PAIN.

yankee666

WTF!!! no Pro Evo 2010 on EU PSN. So much for " we are going to release every new game in UMD and digital the same day at retail". I can understand Old UMD not being on the PSN but the NEW ones, this is incredible. My hopes for this game on the US PSN today are 1 to none.

Oni Jazar

yankee666 said:
WTF!!! no Pro Evo 2010 on EU PSN. So much for " we are going to release every new game in UMD and digital the same day at retail". I can understand Old UMD not being on the PSN but the NEW ones, this is incredible. My hopes for this game on the US PSN today are 1 to none.

They said that about first party games only.

kassatsu

Banned
jvm said:
Rotated view sounds horrible for PSPgo. :( Hope it's playable in the standard view.

Uncharted looks like the least interesting table. Shame about that. HSG and HVB look most interesting.

I've never cared a whit for PAIN.
I spotted a wipeout one in that sizzle video :(

I like my PSP Go, but the last couple of updates on the European store have all been lackluster. Sony really needs to push for more good games and real PSone classics on PSN ASAP or i will put my PSP Go on Ebay and buy a 3000.

Come on baby, give some PSone games. Some JRPGs and Platformers to be exact. Hell, I really want my digital Fighting Force. My real copy got stolen/misplaced 3X. I think I went through 3 copies for that game.

Angst

Benjamin1981 said:
I like my PSP Go, but the last couple of updates on the European store have all been lackluster. Sony really needs to push for more good games and real PSone classics on PSN ASAP or i will put my PSP Go on Ebay and buy a 3000.
According to EU PS blog next week will be interesting:
I know lately we’ve had a bit of a lull in the updates, and whilst they may not have been massive, we have been adding steadily to the store (for you PSP users especially), but next week, there should be a nice stream of content released, and I’m hopeful that some of you will be pleased once you see what’s coming .

There will always be dips in the release schedule, that’s just the way it goes at times, but we always come out the other side smiling don’t we? Seriously though, we’ll be doing our best to make sure these lulls become less and less frequent, because we do want our community to be happy smiley folk after all!
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/11/12/%e2%80%98heads-up%e2%80%99-playstation-store-update-12th-november-2009/
Who knows what that means though? 10 new music vids?

DMeisterJ

Banned
Angst said:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/11/12/%e2%80%98heads-up%e2%80%99-playstation-store-update-12th-november-2009/

It'd be nice if a certain PS Store manager bitch from the US gave us nice updates on things to come and such. Or if we got a heads-up update like EU so they know not to expect things. We just get it put up haphazardly with no reason why it cant come in a timely fashion.

Sigh.

Angst

DMeisterJ said:
It'd be nice if a certain PS Store manager bitch from the US gave us nice updates on things to come and such. Or if we got a heads-up update like EU so they know not to expect things. We just get it put up haphazardly with no reason why it cant come in a timely fashion.

Sigh.
The EU Blog is definitively better than the US one agreed. Most post on the US blog gets lots of comments but no replies, whereas the EU OP almost all of the time replies to comments which is really nice.
But can't you just buy from the EU store if there's content that interest you? I'm in EU but I buy from the US store all the time as it's cheaper and my norwegian visa works for some reason. It's a bit of a hassle to change accounts on the PSP of course...

Edit - the dog replies to the cat, nice :lol

But he said he *did* see one (and so did I - the screen said the guy owned 5 tables, and there was a page that looked Wipeoutish after the last one).

Angst said:

Next week could be good with the video store, Vagrant Story, Jak and Daxter The Lost Frontier and Little Big Planet.

But still, the support for UMD legacy with real classics from third parties is lackluster. You don't release a piece of hardware that relies on digital distribution if you don't have agreements with the big publishers to support it.

kassatsu

Banned
Benjamin1981 said:
Next week could be good with the video store, Vagrant Story, Jak and Daxter The Lost Frontier and Little Big Planet.

But still, the support for UMD legacy with real classics from third parties is lackluster. You don't release a piece of hardware that relies on digital distribution if you don't have agreements with the big publishers to support it.
3 PS3 games for the EU store too.

Angst said:

I guess you know the EU video store launches next week (meh, beaten), and that should be huge on itself. If there is anything else, it'll be certainly welcome.

The new firmware update is coming next week too.

Angst

Philanthropist said:
I guess you know the EU video store launches next week (meh, beaten), and that should be huge on itself. If there is anything else, it'll be certainly welcome.

Not where I live :(

But new firmware - are you talking about PS3 or PSP?

ymmv

Banned
Angst said:
Not where I live :(

PS3. A couple of pics showcasing a few new features were accidentally leaked from the EU Sony website.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Angst said:

PS3. PSP firmware hasn't happened lately (well, I guess it has, but for us on CFW...).

As for Badass Rumble from Atlus: Demo plz.

Philanthropist said:

CRITTER CRUNCH!!! In case you can't tell, i am so happy it's finally hitting across the pond.

Angst

ymmv said:
PS3. A couple of pics showcasing a few new features were accidentally leaked from the EU Sony website.
Ok, I somehow missed that. Maybe because my PS3 is currently in some basement at SCEE... :-(

I'll be back on Critter Crunch TOmorrow. I need to lvl up :lol.

There should be a way to make you lose EXP if you lose or rather than just get 5 or so EXP each win to level up it. I don't remember exactly how it works.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I wonder if SCEA is happy enough to give us an update in a timely fashion today, considering their game may be no.1 this month in NPD.

But probably not, we'll be sitting around til 8:00.

kassatsu

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
I wonder if SCEA is happy enough to give us an update in a timely fashion today, considering their game may be no.1 this month in NPD.

But probably not, we'll be sitting around til 8:00.
They can fuck off now, I want it after the 500 madness. 9pm est please.

Top Bottom