• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SDCC: Metal Gear Solid 5 announced or not (Open Ground Reconnaissance Endeavour OGRE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pranay

If MGS5 is on current hardware then it won't be a system seller. If you're someone who wants to play an MGS game, you probably already own a PS3.

It's a PS4 Game, if it get announced at the VGA.

There are going to be next gen game announcements this year at VGA

Anteater

"Blabla what Kojima shown me was the greatest thing ever"

It was probably his spidey underpants
vnTCU.jpg

Emily Chu

Banned
Yeah, that's what I can think of, especially from the screenshots of FOX Engine. It'll be MGS3 environment but more open world.

I remember a long ass time ago like 2002 kojima told us that mgs 3 would be 30 square miles of open land

I think the tech is finally there to make the game he wanted to

And now to wait 3 years for mgs5 on ps4

It's a PS4 Game, if it get announced at the VGA.

There are going to be next gen game announcements this year at VGA

I doubt Kojima really wants to get into another situation where he shows off a game running on an engine that's based on system specs that aren't set in stone. I still think that this will be current gen.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I remember a long ass time ago like 2002 kojima told us that mgs 3 would be 30 square miles of open land

I think the tech is finally there to make the game he wanted to

And now to wait 3 years for mgs5 on ps4

Sad, but the wait is going to be HARD! Seems like MGS games are used as benchmarks or PS3 "Mario" games.

MGS2=PS2, MGS4=PS3. Not even counting how MGS1 kinda defined the PS1 era...of course, this is my opinion but I'm guessing some people might agree. =)

Which makes it more weird that I have yet to play MGS4 for more than 10 minutes...

Ran rp

I feel old and cranky for saying this, but I want a corridor based MG game again - something with structure and limitations to work around. Not open world stuff.

Same. I'm just not enjoying MGS3 as much as I did MGS, MGS2, and what I've played of MG and MG2.

StuBurns

Banned
Fox Engine will be used for many other games as well.

Sony will try to keep mgs on ps, since its a system seller
No, they won't. If you're losing a million units by going exclusive, a first party needs to compensate the publisher for $35M, for that, Sony could make a top tier exclusive of their own, which can also sell systems, strengthen their first party, and make them more money.

Moneyhatting is way passed being practical.

Ein Bear

Hawkeye's right. Why on earth would Konami contact someone who did a fake title?

I just hate the fact that this could be fake... :(

Even if it is a fake... it's only a logo. We know Metal Gear Solid 5 is in development, so I wouldn't be too disheartened.

If this isn't bunk and that caption indicates this'll be an open world game, I think it could be great. In early MGS3 trailers you got the sense that it'd be an open world, and maybe the ambition was stayed by technological limitations back then. Then again, MGS4 initially seemed to be an open battlefield. At the end of the day both MGS3 and MGS4 were just larger rooms, as in MGS2, with different themes. If MGS5 truly has an open world setting, I can see that being very interesting.

Eeeeh, I'd rather a new game. I don't like remakes in general.

What about something like Metroid Zero Mission?

I wouldn't mind that at all. A retelling of Metal Gear 1 and 2 events. Something like the recent Mortal Kombat game.

BadWolf

It would be pretty cool if the main numbered series stayed a PS exclusive but yeah, very little chance of that happening. The series being ported left and right these days is a pretty decent further indication of this as well.

PerZona

It would be pretty cool if the main numbered series stayed a PS exclusive but yeah, very little chance of that happening. The series being ported left and right these days is a pretty decent further indication of this as well.

That's true, I guess MGS5 would be multiplatform. Not that I mind though, will still be getting it for the PS3.

Why would it be cool? Surely it's a good thing if games are available to as many people as possible?

BadAss2961

It's only possible if Kojima insists, which does have a chance. But lately he's been talking more and more about western development, getting with the times, expanding and whatnot. So who knows...

StuBurns

Banned
The irony of the Metal Gear franchise, is it originated on a Microsoft system, the MSX. It's the last series that should be slapped down with 'betrayalton' crap.

No, they won't. If you're losing a million units by going exclusive, a first party needs to compensate the publisher for $35M, for that, Sony could make a top tier exclusive of their own, which can also sell systems, strengthen their first party, and make them more money.

Moneyhatting is way passed being practical.

Would MGS5 sell that much on a non-Sony platform? I mean you either played MGS4 on a PS3 or you didn't and if you didn't what would be the incentive to pick up the sequel?

Despera

Banned
The irony of the Metal Gear franchise, is it originated on a Microsoft system, the MSX. It's the last series that should be slapped down with 'betrayalton' crap.
Hell, even in the previous generation some form of MGS was available on all home consoles.

StuBurns

Banned
Would MGS5 sell that much on a non-Sony platform? I mean you either played MGS4 on a PS3 or you didn't and if you didn't what would be the incentive to pick up the sequel?
Possibly not, MGS4 sold over five million, if it's PS360 attach rate had been similar to FFXIII had it gone multiplatform, it would have struggled to break a million on 360. But who knows. I think to say going exclusive cost them a million in sales is about right personally, but yeah, it's hard to pin any decent estimates down.

Ein Bear

Out of interest, does anyone know what the sales figure divide was for the HD Collection on PS3 and 360?

I feel like Metal Gear is still strongly associated with Playstation, but that might just be me.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What about something like Metroid Zero Mission?

I wouldn't mind that at all. A retelling of Metal Gear 1 and 2 events. Something like the recent Mortal Kombat game.

Zero Mission is okay. I'm not a huge fan of it.

I think remakes are the last bastion in the war against creativity. I'll never understand why people ASK for remakes. It's like they want developers to stop being creative. I guess that shouldn't be surprising. Fans constantly ask for sequels that are exactly the same as the last game.

BadAss2961

No need to say though that the series broke out with, and found its home on Playstation. And even ignoring that, people could always say "betrayalton" in the sense that MSX was pretty much still a Japanese console. Just sayin.

None of that is my concern though. I'd just like to see it a PS3 exclusive because of the likely higher quality that would come with it.

Ein Bear

I want it to be announced as a PS4 exclusive, then get a Xbox port shown off at the E3 before it comes out. Mostly so we can get something as gold as that FF13 rant again.

StuBurns

Banned
None of that is my concern though. I'd just like to see it a PS3 exclusive because of the likely higher quality that would come with it.
Not from KojiPro though, they aren't exactly Naughty Dog. They talked tall about MGS4 as being this technical beast, squeezing every ounce out of the PS3, and it isn't even close to the same league as something like Uncharted 2.

Ein Bear

Not from KojiPro though, they aren't exactly Naughty Dog. They talked tall about MGS4 as being this technical beast, squeezing every ounce out of the PS3, and it isn't even close to the same league as something like Uncharted 2.

To be fair, MGS4 came out a year and half before UC2, and I'd say it was the most impressive game on the system at the time. MGS2 and 3 were both very impressive too.

StuBurns

Banned
PSY・S;39928340 said:
Wasn't MGS2:S ported to the Xbox?
Yes, it was.

MGS3:S was considered also, but the system wasn't deemed viable by the time the project needed finalizing.
To be fair, MGS4 came out a year and half before UC2, and I'd say it was the most impressive game on the system at the time.
I wouldn't. Or even close to it.

zewone

"ZER" is missing letter "O" to bezome "ZERO"
"ALZURG" is mising "G" to become "GALZURG". (it is Galzurg, not Galzburg, you had a typo there)
"ENAMO" is missing "R" to become "RENAMO.
"NFANTS" is missing "E" to become "ENFANTS".

O.G.R.E.

Zero (born David Oh, and formerly known as Major Tom and Major Zero) was the original commander of CIA Special Forces Unit FOX (Force Operation X). Zero became a founding member of the Patriots along with Big Boss, though the two friends would later develop a bitter enmity.

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Zero

Blood diamond is given.

Amazing.

Paracelsus

Uncharted 1 shits all over MGS4.

How dare you
saying it out loud

I want it to be announced as a PS4 exclusive, then get a Xbox port shown off at the E3 before it comes out. Mostly so we can get something as gold as that FF13 rant again.

SolidSnakex will confirm it to you but basically Konami said it would rather set itself to fire than give another exclusive MGS to Sony, the struggle to keep MGS4 on PS3 only was already quite intense.

BadAss2961

It's not like having to develop a 360 version at the same time would've made things any better though.

MGS4 isn't a technical marvel like Uncharted 2, but it's still a game of very high quality and exceptional attention to detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom