• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SDCC: Metal Gear Solid 5 announced or not (Open Ground Reconnaissance Endeavour OGRE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Amon-

It' starting!

Now we have ahead of us months of tweets and pics from kojima to dissect lol.

My bet is on an open world mgs, ps4 launch title

LiK

If its MGS5 then its probably going to be a new entry, not a remake of an existing one. No way they are giving the number to a remake.

probably play Metal Gear 1 as a flashback for half the game then a TWIST. The future is in the second half with Sunny.

hirokazu

Picture B is clearly not real.

The chairs and table look too fake and the shadows are too perfect. You can even see ridges on the poster frames.

I wouldn't say "clearly," but the chairs do totally give it away. It's a bit misleading anyway because of how small the pictures are. I'm sure a lot of other current-gen engines can be made to fool people when you provide pictures that small.

open world MGS starring big boss where we get burnt by Snake ...

Ok i should keep my hype meter in check

This! If this new MGS is about Outer Heaven, wouldn't it be cool if the game ended with the end of Metal Gear 1 where you as a player gets killed instead of a normal pattern where you kill the endboss?

god, another mgs. i really LOVE mgs, but i think that the series needed a break after 4. shame that konami is in such a bad spot that the only thing kojima can do is keep on trucking with pretty much the only selling franchise they got.

omonimo

Banned
It' starting!

Now we have ahead of us months of tweets and pics from kojima to dissect lol.

My bet is on an open world mgs, ps4 launch title

Why bet in something of so improbable? konami want to make money with so much years of development, a new platform (not announced yet) not give a chance to cover the cost.

god, another mgs. i really LOVE mgs, but i think that the series needed a break after 4. shame that konami is in such a bad spot that the only thing kojima can do is keep on trucking with pretty much the only selling franchise they got.
It's been four years since the last numbered entry, don't you think that counts as a break?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Starring as main lead (in some form at least):

Mgs3-the-boss.jpg

BELIEVE.
Doubt it. :(

why is she wearing ice skates?

I feel old and cranky for saying this, but I want a corridor based MG game again - something with structure and limitations to work around. Not open world stuff.

Frankly I'd be happy for a Vita/3DS version of VR missions

StuBurns

Banned
Although MGS4 disappointed me in areas, it's been long enough that if they were to show a trailer for 5, I'm pretty sure I'd be completely giddy.

Au{R}oN

Banned
why is she wearing ice skates?

I feel old and cranky for saying this, but I want a corridor based MG game again - something with structure and limitations to work around. Not open world stuff.

Frankly I'd be happy for a Vita/3DS version of VR missions
It's the shadow, lol

It's been four years since the last numbered entry, don't you think that counts as a break?

well, i would consider it as a break if they hadn't been releasing mgs remakes and ports between now and then. sure, it's been 4 years, but i actually wanted kojima to work on some new IP for once.

Yeah I don't believe for second this is a next gen game. It's been in development far past when he would have had a dev kit and Konami probably wants the benefits of the PS3/360 install base to make a bunch of money next year.

Hindle

Banned
How much more story can he get out of the Big Boss arc? A reboot would be awesome imo, start afresh without the whole Patriots crap this time.

Despera

Banned
Judging by screens posted a while ago, it seems that Project OGRE is going to be more of a war game than what we're used to...

ib0qqS2hxcn8PS.jpg

And if this announcement is real and that "Open Ground" tagline is true, I'm kinda worried.

omonimo

Banned

I have nothing against a new MGS if it will be a great game. Keep in mind MGS 4 was good only the first 2 acts, so... anyway the problem is not to be a sequel or an older brand but not offer something of really new. Gameplay design isn't limited to the brand imho

well, i would consider it as a break if they hadn't been releasing mgs remakes and ports between now and then. sure, it's been 4 years, but i actually wanted kojima to work on some new IP for once.
Fair enough. I've played Peace Walker and I own the HD collection on both PS3 and Vita but I still feel like the time is right for an epic, new, console MGS game.

Mocca-Bear

Neo Member
Anyone remember the first MGS4 trailer? It was with MGS3 character models, and more of a tongue in cheek kind of thing to announce the game.

If this is real there could be a big reveal trailer next E3 or even TGS with the new consoles...

Anyone remember the first MGS4 trailer? It was with MGS3 character models, and more of a tongue in cheek kind of thing to announce the game.

If this is real there could be a big reveal trailer next E3 or even TGS with the new consoles...

It made sense that MGS4 would be on new consoles. By the time it was done we would be well into next gen. This game is the equivalent of if Metal Gear Solid 3 had been moved to PS3 for some reason.

Judging by screens posted a while ago, it seems that Project OGRE is going to be more of a war game than what we're used to...

ib0qqS2hxcn8PS.jpg

And if this announcement is real and that "Open Ground" tagline is true, I'm kinda worried.

Maybe a long stretch but since Kojima was investigating FPS's and visiting the likes of Infinity Ward, could this be a big scale FPS?

StuBurns

Banned

That seems very unlikely.

98 - MGS1
01 - MGS2
05 - MGS3
08 - MGS4
10 - MGS:pW

That team is very regular. To wait for a PS480 install base that can break even on a forty million dollar investment with the popularity of MGS, MGS5 couldn't realistically ship till 2015 at the earliest. They can spend less and make more if they ship next fall on the current systems, and their pipeline should accommodate that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

ib0qqS2hxcn8PS.jpg

doesn't that vehicle look similar to MGS4, eg the tyres don't have any shape to the treads, just a flat texture. An impressive current gen engine but I wonder how it'll look on next gen/high end PC.

winstano

Konami UK have distanced themselves from it:

Konami UK's Twitter said:
Seriously, just in case the ‪#pinch‬ ‪#salt‬ hashtags weren't enough - the chap who claims to have set up the fake rumours has been in touch.

Mocca-Bear

Neo Member
That seems very unlikely.

98 - MGS1
01 - MGS2
05 - MGS3
08 - MGS4
10 - MGS:pW

That team is very regular. To wait for a PS480 install base that can break even on a forty million dollar investment with the popularity of MGS, MGS5 couldn't realistically ship till 2015 at the earliest. They can spend less and make more if they ship next fall on the current systems, and their pipeline should accommodate that.

Well to be fair MGS4 was included in the PS3 game reel when it got announced. I thought it was the same year as the KZ2 trailer. So even though it will be formally announced, it could be a while before it sees the light of day.

By the way I think the new MGS4 update near the end cycle of of the current generation is a brilliant marketing move. It insures new players will pick up the game now that the market has expanded, that and the relatively low price point makes me hope the game gets new wind. Shame for online though but oh well.

solidus51

Banned
Konami is going to make money off of any metal gear if its exclusive on either ps3 or 360. I really don't think they would lose money off of mgs franchise.
Remember how big the launch was for mgs4? I remember working the next day at gamestop and people were lined up for the ps3 bundle.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Although MGS4 disappointed me in areas, it's been long enough that if they were to show a trailer for 5, I'm pretty sure I'd be completely giddy.
I feel the same way personally
For everyone who hasn't seen the early MGS5(?) artwork. I think they will do more of a Peace Walker sequel than a MG remake.
To be fair the whole thing with Paz in Peace Walker ties in really well to the rumored Child Solider plot-line of MGS5. Really think this has zero chance of being a re-make of MG1&2. It's going tie in heavily to those games though for better or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom