• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - S4 OT - The Venture Continues - Sundays on HBO

Although the unwittingly handing a disaster to Gavin angle was nice, at what point are these guys really going to catch a break? The 'we fuck everything up ad nauseum' shtick gets tiring 4 seasons in. I swear Judge said it wasn't going to be blunder city non stop this season?

Still enjoying the show overall, though. Glad crazy-eyez killa has a recurring role now, hilarious.

I think season 3 was such a tease in this regard. They were finally making some progress, had their own office, their own employees, etc.. then they lost it all. I get that he doesn't want to make them billionaires but at the same time he doesn't have to keep them in the beginning stages of a start in perpetuity. He could definitely move them up to being an established start up without having to make them billionaires.

I think it's just hard to find realism and humour in them making it and becoming billionaires. The show's successful and well-loved enough that it probably has enough steam for at least a few more seasons, so if they make it where do they go from there?

IMO they're keeping things fresh and interesting with some cool new story directions already this season. Love the direction they're going in.

The series will probably finish on the big break. For now just embrace the constant sideways failing

Yeah, this exactly. Wouldn't surprise me to see Richard and the rest of the guys make strides and finally make it in the final season.

Actually Dinesh is a classic example of why some people should never be CEOs. Same goes for Richard. A guy like Dinesh could be an awesome Technical lead. As for Richard, I just don't know. Perhaps a contractor? LOL

The ending is out of this world. Still can't stop laughing with the perv in there.

The problem I had is that all of Dinesh's faults were actual technical faults. I guess he didn't push out the correct TOS or categorize the app as not for kids or something? It doesn't even make sense that Richard "caught" it, he flat out said the previous Pied Piper app was used by kids but I guess that was ok because they had the right ToS, but Dinesh fucked that up? Dinesh bragging on TV about how they made Hooli Chat right isn't a fuck up, it doesn't even make sense that Hooli would be able to sue them over that since literally half of silicon valley is built on someone taking someone else's idea and making a better version of it.

I mean from a technical standpoint it makes ZERO sense for them to be archiving all the chat video footage, if they just stop doing that immediately a lot of their problems would be solved. Plus, ya know, how is it their only "problem" from storing all footage is that it runs afoul of COPPA, instead of millions of people suddenly freaking out about their private sex shows getting stored forever...

yeah, yeah I sort of ignore all the technical things, its just a motivator for the humor and if the writers had amazing ideas they would be billionaires themselves not writing for a sitcom, but it feels like they are playing a lot more loose with the "rules of Silicon Valley" this year.

I hope the big break is Jin Yiang's 8 item octopus recipe app, it becomes a huge breakout hit in China and incorporates Pied Piper chat to stream live cooking sessions between millions of people... hey... CookingDate, its like tinder except you find someone else cooking a recipe similar to what you want to cook, and you stream to each other and make a connection while cooking and eating. ITS A BILLION DOLLAR IDEA

Shaneus

I mean from a technical standpoint it makes ZERO sense for them to be archiving all the chat video footage, if they just stop doing that immediately a lot of their problems would be solved.
They archive all the chat because it improves their compression algorithm (I'd guess).

Edit: As a side note, I hope they can somehow work in a Palmer Luckey-esque situation (maybe with Russ?) where he's been secretly funding alt-right meme billboards. That might not have happened in time for the show's production.

I know it's stupid, but Erlich vs Jian Yang will probably always be my favorite part of this show. They just make me laugh every single time.

"Octopus."

"No... no... octopus?"

"It's a water animal."

"I KN- I... I know what... an octopus is, just-"

Alpende

I know it's stupid, but Erlich vs Jian Yang will probably always be my favorite part of this show. They just make me laugh every single time.

"Octopus."

"No... no... octopus?"

"It's a water animal."

"I KN- I... I know what... an octopus is, just-"

Yeah, loved that. Jian Yang is so good, anytime he has screen time it's great.

Not

Banned
Dinesh with his douche hair and CEO personality was hilarious. And man that last scene was so good

Is it just me or was that look actually working for Kumail Nanjiani?

I feel like that might sadly be the end for Gavin Belson.

Lol, yeah right.

Have you seen the latest issue of sports illustrated? The cover model has the most lovely enigmatic facial expression.

This was my biggest laugh actually

New episode tonight:
Intellectual Property

An overtired Richard (Thomas Middleditch) pushes himself to the brink of sanity while trying to move ahead with his next big idea. Eyeing a comeback, Erlich (T.J. Miller) pressures an uncooperative Jian-Yang (Jimmy O. Yang). Monica (Amanda Crew) sets a trap at Raviga to improve her standing with Laurie (Suzanne Cryer). Dinesh (Kumail Nanjiani) goes on a date; Big Head (Josh Brener) enters the world of academia; Gavin (Matt Ross) faces an unknown future.

I knew it!
Gavin's done for. One mistake too far.
Looking forward to tonight's episode. This is my fave show on television at the moment. It's so consistently hilarious and awesome. Look forward to it every week. Bring on tonight. I have this thing where I watch the previous week's episode then the new one, for an hour of Silicon Valley awesomeness.

I recently re-watched the entire series and it still holds up. Super entertaining and hilarious. I recommend others do the same.

Ogodei

Definitely engaging plot developments, although i still feel like we're not hitting the comedic heights of seasons past.

Next Episode Preview seemed kind of freaky.

I haven't seen the newest episode today yet but this show is kinda frustrating for me.

I mean first the compression thing almost made them all successful and rich but that failed.
Then that new video chat software did the same and failed.

I just want them to have some permanent success.

Slacker

I just want them to have some permanent success.

I would highly recommend finding a different show. If anything tune in for the finale and hope for the best.

Another great episode. Love Jian Yang and Erlich. Loved Monica. Loved Gilfoyle as always. "Are you going to murder Dinesh?" Great stuff all around. Legit excited to see Richard dealing with probably more crazy than usual Gavin. Fantastic how a show can have me laughing repeatedly and still be compelling to see what happens next.

Dereck

4iJ9MJi.gif

bachikarn

I'm not sure it completely made sense for Erlich to pivot Jin Yiang's company. Why wouldn't he just do his own offshoot so he could have 100% of the shares.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So Richard makes this decentralized internet, Gavin steals it from them and gets back Hooli, and our heroes take a big L at the season finale again, right???

(Why am I still watching :( lol)

(Why are they worse than the Legends of Tomorrow??)

Laieon

So Richard makes this decentralized internet, Gavin steals it from them and gets back Hooli, and our heroes take a big L at the season finale again, right???

The decentralized internet flops. The octopus app is really where the money is at.
I haven't watched this weeks episode yet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The decentralized internet flops. The octopus app is really where the money is at.
I haven't watched this weeks episode yet.

So Richard makes Seefood, Gavin steals it from them and gets back Hooli, and our heroes take a big L at the season finale again, right???

lol

The credits song is amazing. Going to have those dissonant strings stuck in my head all night.

Legitimately love that people are discovering Dr. Octagon tonight.
Legitimately hate that they're going to see the inferior, garbage, US album art and not the deliriously perfect Mo Wax version.

I literally do not care about the actual "story" of this show, so whatever formula it might have or how it treats its characters takes a back seat to some of the funniest gags on modern television for me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I literally do not care about the actual "story" of this show, so whatever formula it might have or how it treats its characters takes a back seat to some of the funniest gags on modern television for me.
My problem is that I'm just waiting for them to fail because the show has conditioned me to expect that, which means I can't get invested in anything they do.

MGrant

Hope Dinesh and his new lady find a way to fuck over Gilfoyle for that shit he pulled. Just let the man have a girlfriend, asshole.

Top Bottom