• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - S4 OT - The Venture Continues - Sundays on HBO

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
But he would only get 20K. 180K would go to Jin Yiang unless I'm misunderstanding something.
No that's not a smart use of seed money. He would probably do enough to take the seeded venture into a series A funding and then just coast on a couple millions before figuring out another con to make it to series B.

Ruruja

So Richard makes this decentralized internet, Gavin steals it from them and gets back Hooli, and our heroes take a big L at the season finale again, right???

Richard and Gavin are gonna work together. Gavin is one of the good guys now, as shown by him going for the hug with the security guy and getting nothing, making you feel empathetic towards him.

was kinda worried gilfoyle would bang Dinesh's girl or maybe he had a past history with her (that could still be a possibility)

Dinesh needs a W already, always getting shitted on. CEO for only a day too lol.

really glad Gavin is still in the picture.

Great episode. I'm excited to see Gavin and Richard working together. Richard wasn't part of HooliChat when Belson got fucked over, so I could see Belson being okay with working together.

You know Gilfoyle is going to wind up sleeping with her.

God. I hope not. That would be way too predictable.

Ugh, they'd probably do something where Dinesh pisses her off somehow, and Gilfoyle clues her in on how them sleeping together would be the best way to get back at Dinesh. I hope they have better plans for this arc. This show needs to move past female love interests only being there to compete and/or brag over for the guys

Maybe MI4 and Dinesh working together to fuck over Gavin somehow in his joint venture with Richard

Sapiens

I just love how they find ways for Big Head to fail upwards - I know people in CS who are fucking idiots who managed to scrape by and actually achieve success somehow.

Corpekata

Banned
I doubt Gilyfoyle will do anything like sleep with Mia. Eventually Dinesh is going to realize they only connect over hating him and will probably get weirded out by that aspect, especially if Gilfoyle finds out about that. I am imagining a scene where he makes a big deal about how he is Dinesh's lube.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Side thought

The grocery store scene was sooooo interesting. That was like the first scene they ever did in the show of them just doing something normal outside of the house.

Also did we ever get a clear explanation of Monica and Richard? Like are they an item or whay?

I doubt Gilyfoyle will do anything like sleep with Mia. Eventually Dinesh is going to realize they only connect over hating him and will probably get weirded out by that aspect, especially if Gilfoyle finds out about that. I am imagining a scene where he makes a big deal about how he is Dinesh's lube.

lol, that would've been great

Side thought

The grocery store scene was sooooo interesting. That was like the first scene they ever did in the show of them just doing something normal outside of the house.

Also did we ever get a clear explanation of Monica and Richard? Like are they an item or whay?

They are not. There was a chance, but Monica work-zoned him when they started working together :(

iammeiam

The Gavin patent for a thing he doesn't even want to make, plus Erlich's See Food thing is going to make me so disappointed if Erlich doesn't realize this season that his true calling in life is to be a tech patent troll.

norinrad

Richard and Gavin are gonna work together. Gavin is one of the good guys now, as shown by him going for the hug with the security guy and getting nothing, making you feel empathetic towards him.

The security guy was really his best friend and only guy he could trust. I think they will be reunited.

The scene with Jian Yang and Erlich was too much. Con man hahaha

NYR

I'm not really feeling this season. :(

I don't know why not, just hasn't been too entertaining for me. To each their own, I can understand the overall positive response though.

But he would only get 20K. 180K would go to Jin Yiang unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Investors don't get seed money, it all goes to the company they just keep their percentage. At some point they sell some of that percentage to future investors in a dilution of their share, or just keep it until the company is sold / IPO. But if you invest 10% in a new startup you don't get 10% of every funding round or anything like that, it goes to operating the company (which CAN "pay" the founders, board of directors, etc so thats one way to drain out some liquid cash). Usually some horse trading is done as well, so Erlich's 10% share of SeeFood could get broken up and 1% get traded for 5% in another startup, etc.

I'm not even clear on how SeeFood is structured funding wise, Erlich traded 1 year of free rent to Jin Yiang for 10% I think but did he do that as Bachmanity (which means BigHead would own 5%) or did he do that as Erlich, silicon valley slumlord?

One weird thing about the episode was how nobody brought up that Richard pouring over Peter's notebooks and literally outright stealing them is again the kind of intellectual theft Richard constantly is doing. Just because a dude is dead doesn't mean you can rifle through his notebooks and take whatever you find, consequence free. I guess if he works with Gavin, then technically Gavin may own the ideas but it seems to completely freeze out Peter's (now Laurie's) VC firm which will be an issue I would think down the road, especially if its found that Richard broke into Peter's storage and took a bunch of notebooks.

Vanillalite

I need to rewatch season 1 to remember Big What's setup.

I love his character, but something nags me in the back of my mind about him.

Like I know he was just grunt work, but he's gotta be semi competent to even be hired by Hooli.

YoungFa

I need to rewatch season 1 to remember Big What's setup.

I love his character, but something nags me in the back of my mind about him.

Like I know he was just grunt work, but he's gotta be semi competent to even be hired by Hooli.
He was hired at hooli because he was working at pied piper before and he was thought to be close to richard.

iammeiam

Yup. Belson thought he could use Big Head to reverse engineer what Pied Piper was working on and also as a way to mess with Richard.

But he and Richard worked together at Hooli before the start of the show; Gavin promoted the hell out of him when Pied Piper came about, but I think the question is what BigHead did to actually get in the door at Hooli pre-PP.

I assume he's actually fine at heads-down workmanlike coding, but not particularly insightful or driven.

I think the question is what BigHead did to actually get in the door at Hooli pre-PP.
Ah, ok. I see what he's asking. I have no idea, though I'd hazard a guess that there are some mediocre/incompetent people that get hired at tech companies to make up numbers or because of ineffective hiring practices.

sirap

The security guy was really his best friend and only guy he could trust. I think they will be reunited.

Gavin & Hoover's relationship is pretty much a dark reflection of Richard & Jared (I love how no one calls him by his real name 4 seasons in)

I have 0 doubt that both characters will be reunited with their hype-men. Seeing them work together will be interesting.

Z98Auyu.gif

louiedog

I love what they do with Big Head. When they parted ways back in season 1 in the first couple of episodes there's no way anyone could predict his trajectory would go like this. It's great.

iammeiam

Didn't he do it because they wanted to claim that the compression idea was Big Head's idea and use it in the Season 2 lawsuit against Pied Piper?

Both!

The initial promotion of BigHead in season 1 was to get at this supposed insider knowledge. He proved to know nothing, they roofed him to rest & vest.

Season 2 they realized they still had him employed and so promoted him and put him in charge of their moonshot division, multiple charities, started building hype around him to use as lawsuit leverage.

Vanillalite

But he and Richard worked together at Hooli before the start of the show; Gavin promoted the hell out of him when Pied Piper came about, but I think the question is what BigHead did to actually get in the door at Hooli pre-PP.

I assume he's actually fine at heads-down workmanlike coding, but not particularly insightful or driven.

This. People forget this.

The very very very beginning they both worked at Hooli. He must have gotten hired somehow especially since the Stanford angle makes it appear he doesn't have a degree.

Dosia

This. People forget this.

The very very very beginning they both worked at Hooli. He must have gotten hired somehow especially since the Stanford angle makes it appear he doesn't have a degree.

I thought they said he graduated from ASU (lol)

Dali

Just finished the new episode. So once again it looks like Richard is fucking himself on the ass.

On another note, they've hinted at Jared having a past or a dark side but between the crazy "woo!" and what he was saying in the previews for the next episode I think the show is going in a similar direction "it's always sunny" went with Dennis.

oatmeal

Banned
I really like the direction this is going in. Gavin and Richard working together to create a new internet could be a lot of fun to watch. Gavin going back to his younger passionate self, and Richard having the resources he will need to get Internet 2.0 going.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think Gavin is going to fuck Richard so hard that he quits tech forever. lol

Amazing ep, loving Doctor Octogon for the credits music too.

I wonder if he didn't mean to kick through the door, and they left it in because it was hilarious watching him trying to get his leg out? :D It was almost too perfect to be intentional!

Top Bottom