• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - S4 OT - The Venture Continues - Sundays on HBO

sunofsam

Best show on TV.

"Were you on the cover of Wired magazine?"

"Yeah, and in it too"

Jared freaking out at the autonomous car.

Kaizer

Banned
Z98Auyu.gif

This part killed me, his eyes are the best part lol

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Definitely engaging plot developments, although i still feel like we're not hitting the comedic heights of seasons past.

Agreed. This season has been relatively light on humor, but I appreciated that this week's episode moved the plot forward a bit (even though everything will probably be reset next week).

danm999

I don't know why but my favourite moment of the night was Jin Yang and Erlich agreeing Richard was a wreck.

"He is indeed a cautionary tale".

That and the sloth...

pieface

I hope this season doesn't end with Richard getting fucked over by Gavin who will then scramble back to Hooli.

I'd like it if it was heading in the direction of Gavin fucking over Richard, but Richard knows he's going to do it and does something to fuck Gavin over instead which is all kinda revealed last minute.

Something to break the cycle a bit, there's only so many times Richard can lose surely?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Something to break the cycle a bit, there's only so many times Richard can lose surely?

I think Sepinwall is right in that the only way Silicon Valley as a show can exist is if the guys keep losing, because if they become billionaires, there's really no reason for them to keep struggling. Probably the only way he wins is when the show ends.

I guess in a way it's like Veep, except the writers on that show find new ways for Selina to screw up to make it interesting. Here it's just Richard's ego causing him to implode 3 years in a row. I'm just waiting for him to fuck it all up before the season ends. lol

Gonna Peter Gregory him good.
Yep, they can make it full circle too I suppose.

Jareds "WHOOO"s fuckin killed me.

Jared has grown from somebody who annoyed me to my favorite character on the show. It's incredible.

This season is amazing so far, but I guess that has to do with the fact that I'd watch these characters do just about anything and find it entertaining.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I think Sepinwall is right in that the only way Silicon Valley as a show can exist is if the guys keep losing, because if they become billionaires, there's really no reason for them to keep struggling. Probably the only way he wins is when the show ends.

I guess in a way it's like Veep, except the writers on that show find new ways for Selina to screw up to make it interesting. Here it's just Richard's ego causing him to implode 3 years in a row. I'm just waiting for him to fuck it all up before the season ends. lol

At least in Veep, Selina does achive a lot of measurable things, but has her accomplishments distorted or unappreciated. That's funny.

The problem in Silicon Valley is that they just tease success, they always get some kind of small token based on a potentiality, but it never bears fruit in a concrete way like when Selina actually becomes president (but not through an election), or her actually freeing Tibet (but the incoming president getting credit).

For all the projects that Pied Piper comes up with, not only do the guys not profit on them, they don't even become successful. The algorithm is reduced to usage in a server box that doesn't utilise any of its features, the streaming video dies because of botched implementation, Piperchat gets bought and sinks Gavin, etc.

The only person on Silicon Valley who has real success and failure in the way Selina does on Veep is Tres Commas dude.

I love this show, but I'm completely over Gilfoyle unless they give him something interesting to do. I can't stand his snarky attitude. He's just so one-dimensional compared to everyone else in this show, especially four seasons in.

Also, I'm in love with Monica.

Therin

I lost it when Jared got overhyped going "WOO!!" I fucking love him.

I wish Gilfoyle would take a more active role, he seems like such a side character now since Dinesh is in the forefront.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
At least in Veep, Selina does achive a lot of measurable things, but has her accomplishments distorted or unappreciated. That's funny.

The problem in Silicon Valley is that they just tease success, they always get some kind of small token based on a potentiality, but it never bears fruit in a concrete way like when Selina actually becomes president (but not through an election), or her actually freeing Tibet (but the incoming president getting credit).

For all the projects that Pied Piper comes up with, not only do the guys not profit on them, they don't even become successful. The algorithm is reduced to usage in a server box that doesn't utilise any of its features, the streaming video dies because of botched implementation, Piperchat gets bought and sinks Gavin, etc.

The only person on Silicon Valley who has real success and failure in the way Selina does on Veep is Tres Commas dude.

Heh, actually, I see Big Head to be much like a Selina character... it's why I think he's actually the real "star" of the show. I would be fine if everyone else disappeared and it was about this hapless manchild failing upward throughout the silicon valley bubble.

I'm really tired of Richard though. His character is basically the same as it was in the very first episode.

Kaizer

Banned
I thought they said Hooli owned it though.

No, Gavin owns the patent. The reason he got the patent in the first place was to block Peter Gregory from devoting his time to the idea and instead help him fund/build Hooli. Gavin's just been sitting on it, doing jack-all with it.

oatmeal

Banned
It helps that it only has 10 per season but this show has effortlessly gotten to 4 seasons.

Pretty amazing really.

They're making it look very easy.

pieface

When Dinesh became the CEO I genuinely thought that each character would get an episode of becoming the CEO, and each one would fuck it up in their own unique way resulting in them wanting Richard back.

Could have been quite funny to see how each character would have behaved as CEO.

Dali

If hooli now owns piper chat, which was pied piper, and Richard needs his algorithm to make the decentralized internet doesn't that mean hooli now owns the rights to the compression algorithm? I know he said something about giving piper chat indefinite license to continue to use it when he quit as CEO but is that even possible to develop something for a company, with money and assets allocated to that company, even if it's a company you founded, then say that piece of the company is yours when you leave?

What I'm asking is can Richard even use his own code anymore without having to license it from hooli? He didn't get any sort of agreement in writing as far as how things would work when Dinesh was ceo.

Thought the episode was super hilarious, enjoyable and entertaining as always. Re-watched every season recently and it still holds up, this is one of the best shows on television at the moment. I love the cliffhangers that make you hyped for the next episode. I like how the plot is rapidly moving forward too. Keeps things interesting. Look forward to this every week.

My favourite comedy ever I think. Hope it goes on for many seasons.

Corpekata

Banned
If hooli now owns piper chat, which was pied piper, and Richard needs his algorithm to make the decentralized internet doesn't that mean hooli now owns the rights to the compression algorithm? I know he said something about giving piper chat indefinite license to continue to use it when he quit as CEO but is that even possible to develop something for a company, with money and assets allocated to that company, even if it's a company you founded, then say that piece of the company is yours when you leave?

What I'm asking is can Richard even use his own code anymore without having to license it from hooli? He didn't get any sort of agreement in writing as far as how things would work when Dinesh was ceo.

I feel like there must have been some sort of basic paperwork in place that at least covered that when he exited his position, just not the "bonus" of using their servers. Notice how when Richard is fighting with Dinesh he doesn't resort to threatening to pull the algorythim or anything like that, and he doesn't fight back on that front at all, he just tries to sneak into their servers.

Dali

I feel like there must have been some sort of basic paperwork in place that at least covered that when he exited his position, just not the "bonus" of using their servers. Notice how when Richard is fighting with Dinesh he doesn't resort to threatening to pull the algorythim or anything like that, and he doesn't fight back on that front at all, he just tries to sneak into their servers.
What could Richard have done? Said you can't use my algorithm anymore? At which point Dinesh should reply its property of pied piper/piper chat. That's what I'm getting at. Is the algorithm even Richards at this point? The court case with hooli said the algorithm is pied piper's ip.

What could Richard have done? Said you can't use my algorithm anymore? At which point Dinesh should reply its property of pied piper/piper chat. That's what I'm getting at. Is the algorithm even Richards at this point? The court case with hooli said the algorithm is pied piper's ip.

It is, they agreed that Richard owns his code and piperchat was able to use it.

Remember right afterwards Richard talked about keeping the name Pied Piper?

Dali

It is, they agreed that Richard owns his code and piperchat was able to use it.

Remember right afterwards Richard talked about keeping the name Pied Piper?
Yeah they talked. Talked. Talk doesn't hold up when transferring ownership of a company and its assets to Hooli. Everyone was working from the assumption he was in the position to dictate control of the code when he quit as ceo. Which is a fair assumption and one that they all probably didn't question because he wrote the algorithm.

He was saying they can use it when actually it may have been the other way around. It's pied pipers' IP to dictate who is able to use it, not Richard's. Maybe he filed some paper work or a patent application or something that would specify he is the owner and not a company but it hasn't been shown and Richard's a shithead so...

Alpende

Does someone know if the Sillicon Valley soundtrack is getting a physical release? I know Mass Appeal is producing the soundtrack but couldn't find any info on a physical release.

New episode tonight:
Teambuilding Exercise

When Richard (Thomas Middleditch) reaches out to an unlikely ally, Jared (Zach Woods) worries about the company he's keeping. Gilfoyle (Martin Starr) gets tough on security in the wake of Dinesh's (Kumail Nanjiani) latest dalliance; later, he considers whether to put his pride aside for a job. Concerned about Jian-Yang's (Jimmy O. Yang) commitment to his app, Erlich (T.J. Miller) takes matters into his own hands.

Love this show but pretty shocked in last week's episode to hear "I'm not a spaz", using "spaz" (as in 'spastic') in a derogatory context. Cerebral palsy isn't funny.

I thought we'd moved on from using words like that in the 90s, never mind 2017.

Love this show but pretty shocked in last week's episode to hear "I'm not a spaz", using "spaz" (as in 'spastic') in a derogatory context. Cerebral palsy isn't funny.

I think it's like a reverse cunt situation.

DarkestHour

Banned

I've never in my life correlated "spaz" as having anything to do with cerebral palsy. Did a bit of Googling to see if I've just been incredibly ignorant my entire life and apparently I'm just ignorant to it being a difference between US and UK variations of English.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/spastic#English

valeo

Huh? Has never heard 'spaz' in relation to cerebral palsy? (I live in Aussie though)

Top Bottom