• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a relieving update. Sounds great, I can't complain about 4 types of controls. This setup also allows for the maximum amount of players for everyone.

Also good to hear that the GCN pad will support rumble.

I think I'll go with my trusty wavebird or VC, havn't decided.

Jonk

Linkup said:
Great, something new for people to fight about.

"ZOMG hardcore use only the _____ controller"

QFT!

You know there are going to be those cocky bastards that will spill this BS EVERY TIME a game goes down. Anything for an excuse to cause crap and discredit others.

"That's not fair because you are playing with the CORRECT controller"

I for one amy happy that this stirs things up.

gimz

i think this is the best update for this game so far, (beside when we first saw the suprise entry of Solid Snake in the trailer)

Somnid

WastingPenguins said:
It's gotta mean SOME sort of motion control, right? There just aren't enough buttons on the standalone wiimote.

Nah there's enough, Smash only really used 3 (block, attack, special). On the Wiimote those would be 1,2 and A. The problem is smashing without the analog stick, which I'd assume is done by jerking the controller.

Anyway, the first person to do control method tiers is getting bitch-slapped.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
6gkqzaa.jpg

Linkup

Tiers are in

Top Tier

GC Controller
Classic Controller

Second Tier

Wiimote + Nunchuk

Third Tier

Wiimote(on side)

It's a joke, but I know people are going to complain/fight about it forever.

I just hope the wiimote-only and wiimote+nunchuk methods aren't gimped. Let's hope they're perfectly workable and just as effective as normal control methods.

Game-Biz said:
We pretty much all got owned -- but in a good way, I suppose.
Not me! This is what I predicted!

Sort of. I didn't expect there to be two wiimote options.

Which, honestly, works out really well for everyone. Now they only have to buy the Wii remote instead of the remote and the nunchuck. But everyone that already has the nunchuck could just use that. Hell, people could get a CC for the same price.

I expect Wii Play sales to go up shortly after this game is released. :D

fernoca

And yeah, I've been saying this for like..every time someone whined about "Wiimote" controls, because Sakurai himself always said that the game was GCN Controller compatible.. (which meant: Wiimote, Nunchuck, GCN and Classic)

And everyone was like.."No, the icon of the website is a Wiimote..so is Wiimote only"....

Geeze!!! :lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
sp0rsk said:
I'm glad the speculation for this can finally die.
Something new to speculate about: How will this work with multiple players? Will everyone have to use the same control scheme to make it fair?

TheGreatDave said:
The Wiimote only setup must have some really imaginative motion sensing. There's only so many ways to make up for it lacking buttons.

It's not that bad. You have the d-pad, B button, 1 button, 2 button and A button, plus the - and + buttons.

NotWii

Banned
Alkaliine said:
I just hope the wiimote-only and wiimote+nunchuk methods aren't gimped. Let's hope they're perfectly workable and just as effective as normal control methods.
Who cares, GCN is in, that's all that matters.

Somnid said:
Nah there's enough, Smash only really used 3 (block, attack, special). On the Wiimote those would be 1,2 and A. The problem is smashing without the analog stick, which I'd assume is done by jerking the controller.

You forgot grab, though technically that can be done with block+attack. Anyway, A is on the same side as the + pad... your thumb is pretty occupied there, moving your character around. There's a reason that on every game pad ever the stick/d-pad is on one side and the buttons on the other. It could be used (and I bet it will be), but it'd be pretty awkward.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
jj984jj said:
Something new to speculate about: How will this work with multiple players? Will everyone have to use the same control scheme to make it fair?

Well I think before we move on to that, we should wait for the online play confirmation.

WastingPenguins said:
You forgot grab, though technically that can be done with block+attack. Anyway, A is on the same side as the + pad... your thumb is pretty occupied there, moving your character around. There's a reason that on every game pad ever the stick/d-pad is on one side and the buttons on the other. It could be used (and I bet it will be), but it'd be pretty awkward.

Don't forget the B button.

Who cares, GCN is in, that's all that matters.

What about those who don't have a GC controller? Their experience shouldn't be gimped.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Berserker said:
I dont like the prospect of the sideways remote as a control method...

How can Smash Brothers work without an analog stick...

i imagine tilting the wiimote will accomplish running left or right

Neo C.

Linkup said:
Tiers are in

Top Tier

GC Controller
Classic Controller

Second Tier

Wiimote + Nunchuk

Third Tier

Wiimote(on side)
I think Wiimote + Nunchuk will be quiet similar to the other two types.

Whatever, the news is great. I have four GC controller (one a little bit broken) and two wiimotes + two nunchuks, so I can invite everyone for a play and not only some with Wii at home.

fernoca

jj984jj said:

Doubt it..
I think the trick is still going to be on people having to remember that when using GameCube controllers, they have to connect the GCN controller on a GCN port that doesn't conflict with the Wii.

For example:
P1: Wiimote
P2: GCN
P3: Wiimote
P4: GCN

Should be:
P1: Wiimote
P2: Wiimote
P3: GameCube
P4: GameCube

Those with GCN controllers, have to connect the controllers in the Ports #3 and #4. To avoid having to re-sync the Wiimotes every match...and the GCN controller to not conflict with the Wiimotes.

Alkaliine said:
It's not that bad. You have the d-pad, B button, 1 button, 2 button and A button, plus the - and + buttons.

I really hate having to ever use that B-Trigger when holding it NES style. I guess you can use the A button but I find it pretty awkward.

Kodiak said:
i imagine tilting the wiimote will accomplish running left or right

:lol That'll be a pain in the ass when you want to stand still for a second but can't quite get the controller exactly parallel with the ground.

People were down on them at first, but I think these regular updates are absolutely awesome. Think about all the info we'll have by the time the game ships.

MindCollizion said:
Maybe all of these are compatible but for specific Game Modes only, not for all? Nevermind... doesn't make much sense...

:lol Oh boy, we sure do read pretty far into things around here. Seriously, I think the choice to put it under the "game modes" section is completely arbitrary.

So...four GC controllers can connect in to the Wii.

Aside from that, four Wii controllers can, at the same time, connect to the Wii.

I wonder if there will be any modes that take advantage of this.

usea

Alkaliine said:
I don't think I like the sound of that. It would need to be really functional and responsive.
If you want something functional and responsive, you should not be looking towards the wii remote. You will only be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom