• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wii said:
I hate it :(
They should go with StarFox SNES or SSBM Fox
Yes, clearly this would look better.

200px-Snes-StarFox.jpg

What the hell is wrong with some of you people

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
**Character speculation. If you're tired of it just don't read.**

Looking at the character lists from SSB and SSBM I see that everyone from the original made it into Melee. Maybe the same will happen for Brawl? That would be cool and then 40+ characters wouldn't be unreachable, but I think some of these characters shouldn't even be in Brawl or they won't make the cut.

Definite locks for Brawl:

Fox
Falco
Peach
Captain Falcon
Samus
Jigglypuff
Mario
Ganondorf
Link
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Pikachu
Yoshi
Zelda
Ness
Bowser
Kirby

Might make the cut:
-
Sheik
Marth
Ice Climbers
Dr. Mario
Mr. Game & Watch

Removed:
-
Pichu
Mewtwo
Roy
Young Link

The "new" Pokemon will definitely be removed and replaced by "newer" Pokemon IMO. Pichu was pretty worthless although was cute with the goggles. When Melee was announced I was hoping they'd put in Raichu. He would be a clone character of Pikachu, a slower more powerful version, and his moves would be slightly altered/different. Like his Side B move could be a body slam or grapple instead of the rocket thing Pikachu would do. This opportunity has been missed already I think and Nintendo would opt for a Pokemon from D/P instead which is a sad thought. Everyone likes the orginal 151 more. Mewtwo could be replaced by a D/P Pokemon.

As I understand it, the point of putting Marth and Roy in the game was to promote the new FE game in Japan. Nintendo might do that again. Roy could easily be replaced by someone else in the FE universe since he's just a clone character. They could leave Marth in if they want, he's definitely a popular choice in Melee.

Sheik was very popular in Melee. Almost definitely will be included but she can't be tied to Zelda this time (because Zelda will probably be the TP variation) so I'm having my doubts.

Dr. Mario is a clone of Mario. Give him a different moveset and I'll accept him as a real character, if not they might as well leave him out.

Young Link replaced by Wind Waker Link.

As much as it sucks, the potential for Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch not being included seems high. They were very original and creative characters but they're not that popular. Keep them in! If Ice Climbers are removed please put the Hammer Bros. in their place.

Espada

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I like the Universe scenario behind him.

It looks like he's doing that on what seems to be his stage, the one that does the whole outer spaceflight/re-entry routine. Either way, I like the new design, though I wonder how they'll handle different outfit colors.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
why do we think falco is in it? I thought clones were getting cut? Or is it just their move-sets that will get cut?

Firestorm

Brobzoid said:
why do we think falco is in it? I thought clones were getting cut? Or is it just their move-sets that will get cut?

You thought wrong on both counts. People just assumed clones would get cut when Sakurai said not every character is returning. Sakurai never once said a word about clones.

Espada

FlightOfHeaven said:
Clones will either be cut or heavily modified.

Not everyone is returning.

So, it really could go either way at this point.

Yeah, he mentioned not everyone was returning and people immediately jumped to folks most likely to be cut: clones. I could see Shiek being cut and replaced with Midna, Lucario taking over Mewtwo and several other changes.

Though I am interested in seeing what happens to the ones that remain and how their movesets turn out.

superbank

Brobzoid said:

I just get that feeling. Hopefully they change his moveset so he's not a Fox clone but even if they don't change it they will keep him in. He's one of the best characters in Melee. If they remove falco then it will just be Fox representing the Star Fox universe (please don't add Krystal).

superbank said:
**Character speculation. If you're tired of it just don't read.**

I'm not a fan of the Fire Emblem games, but you're speculating the Roy and Marth will get the cut, yet Falco is a "lock?"

Not very logical speculation, considering more people (especially in Japan) play as R&M than Falco/other characters in general.

ShockingAlberto said:
Yes, clearly this would look better.

200px-Snes-StarFox.jpg

What the hell is wrong with some of you people
He looks more like a midget fox in that old SNES design. I think the current SSBB Fox' is his best design yet actually.

MasterAJ22 said:
I'm not a fan of the Fire Emblem games, but you're speculating the Roy and Marth will get the cut, yet Falco is a "lock?"

Not very logical speculation, considering more people (especially in Japan) play as R&M than Falco/other characters in general.
Considering Marth is basically the star of the Fire Emblem games while Roy's only appearances have been in two games (and one of them being only a cameo), I think it's much more likely to see Falco in SSBB than Roy because of his appearance in every Star Fox title to date.

superbank

MasterAJ22 said:

I was thinking more on a global scale, where Star Fox (atleast the original and 64) is a more popular brand. Falco will be a variation of Fox. Some of his moves will be altered/different but he will largely be based on Fox's moveset. Marth I could see being in Brawl. The only thing holding him back is his global appeal. If Nintendo wanted more sales for their next FE game they could add one of the new characters instead of Marth who would not sell any FE games.

I'll say it right now, Roy is 100% out IMO.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to need to find a new go to guy. Roy is by far my favorite in Melee.

That said, I've long since resigned myself to the notion that he won't be in Brawl. I will be absolutely shocked if he is.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
superbank said:
Or wait, is Marth in the new Wii FE too?

No he hasnt been in an FE for a while. 9 and 10 revolve around a differen world with the main protagonist being a blue haired mercenary named Ike. I wouldnt be surprised if Ike(FE9 version) and another character from FE10 replaced Marth and Roy.

superbank

Enduin said:
No he hasnt been in an FE for a while. 9 and 10 revolve around a differen world with the main protagonist being a blue haired mercenary named Ike. I wouldnt be surprised if Ike(FE9 version) and another character from FE10 replaced Marth and Roy.

Oh. If he was I would put him in my lock section. They could replace Marth with Ike and add an axe user (ANY AXE USER. TOO MANY SWORDS.) instead of Roy.

Proven

I still think the Ice Climbers will make it in. Along with Pit, they're like part of a NES-only club and I still feel that the 14 starting roster from Melee will get put in.

What I'm thinking as confirmed is the starting 14, plus Luigi and Jigglypuff.

As for Fire Emblem, I would have said there's a chance they'd both be cut, until there was the level that's shown in the trailer that's said to be from Fire Emblem. Which number game it comes from should be a clue as who's in from there.

Raichu wouldn't be put in mainly because he isn't cute. Thinking along that route, Pachirisu (the blue squirrel, is that how you spell his name?) will be the new cute electric pokemon next to Pikachu.

I guess I'm the odd man out, but I want Krystal to be in this. As to whether or not she has her bowstaff, it depends on its range. But she already has fighting potential from Star Fox Adventures, plus Fox and Falco. Hate on the game, but not the character. I don't know if Falco will make it in, but Falco and Krystal to Fox will probably end up like Mario and Luigi with them having similar movesets, differing in specific ways, Falco probably more with his standard attacks and Krystal more with her special attacks.

Wind Waker Link might be too jarring towards art style. Do we really want another Zelda character? I think they hit it right by just having the Triforce cast. Update them to their Twilight Princess models, add in more speed characters to appease the Shiek fans.

Oh hell, I just realized, what if the guy from Ninja Gaiden makes it in? He was on the NES at first right? And it'd be a great replacement for Shiek. Still, there's probably such a low chance at this (I somehow doubt Itagachi would go with it without a fit.) so I'll not mention this ever again.

Really, I almost completely loved the Melee cast. The only characters I could really stand to have be cut are Dr. Mario, Pichu, Roy, Young Link, and Game&Watch. Anyone else and there might be some tears.

Oh, and if Sonic isn't announced by or at E3, I'm going to just assume that he's not making it in and that's the main reason why they're making the Mario and Sonic at the Olympics. It's the only way that Nintendo and Sega saw to really highlight them both (and for some reason they thought he wouldn't be a fit for Smash. No direct fighting or whatever).

Proven said:
Raichu wouldn't be put in mainly because he isn't cute. Thinking along that route, Pachirisu (the blue squirrel, is

I don't think cuteness has anything to do with which pokemon they choose...after all Mewtwo was in the game. I think it's more what pokemon is most popular at that time. I mean, Pichu was in the anime and in movies a lot around the time SSBM came out that's why he was included. Pachirisu has barely been seen anywhere. I think Lucario will be the new pokemon addition. It has the body and movesets for a fighter, it looks cool and it was the star of a pokemon movie

Hero

If Sheik is not in this then heads will roll.

Pichu will definitely be out. Mewtwo might be replaced by Deoxys. Hopefully Ganondorf won't be a clone of Captain Falcon. Dr Mario is definitely out. Young Link will probably be replaced by Wind Waker Link if Sakurai decides to go that route. Marth and Roy will probably be replaced by the GCN/Wii FE characters. I'm hoping for Ike and Titania. Game and Watch probably won't make it back. Ice Climbers is iffy but I hope they make it back.

Jiggy

As far as new playable Pokemon go, I think these are the only possibilities:

Grovyle/Sceptile - Basically the Charizard of the Advance generation of the anime, this thing dominated hard and gained a lot of popularity. Also a perfect body type for the game.

Blaziken - Similar popularity to the above. Probably moreso among Pokemon players, but less so among the anime-only fans (if there even are any of those) since May's Blaziken got like less than ten episodes and spent more time as a Combusken, which is less conducive to being put in.

Deoxys - A legendary, and it grants the designers free license to have it do absolutely anything.

Lucario - What Zoramon said, basically. Also, unlike the above three, this would be a showcase for D/P instead of games already over with. Granted, Mewtwo was first-gen even though SSBM came after the second Pokemon gen, but Roy was mostly there for the sake of advertising.

Buizel - It's cute, has lots of cool moves, and (anime spoilers up to like episode... 502? way beyond what's been aired in the US, anyway)
it's poised to be the Charizard/Sceptile of the D/P gen of the anime. In its first episode it consecutively defeated Dawn, Dawn's contest rival, and Ash (including surviving Quick Attack, Thunderbolt, and Volt Tackle from Pikachu), before being caught by Dawn on the second try. In its second episode, it was pitted against one of the Elite 4--and it lost, but even getting such a fight is a high standard for the anime.
Also has a perfect shape for fighting, and again there's the fact that it's a D/P Pokemon.

Inclined to say Lucario > Sceptile > Deoxys > Blaziken > Buizel in terms of probability, but we'll see.

Hero said:
If Sheik is not in this then heads will roll.

Pichu will definitely be out. Mewtwo might be replaced by Deoxys. Hopefully Ganondorf won't be a clone of Captain Falcon. Dr Mario is definitely out. Young Link will probably be replaced by Wind Waker Link if Sakurai decides to go that route. Marth and Roy will probably be replaced by the GCN/Wii FE characters. I'm hoping for Ike and Titania. Game and Watch probably won't make it back. Ice Climbers is iffy but I hope they make it back.

Something says me that Link will be able to transform into a wolf or/and Midna will be present in some way.

RagnarokX

It just doesnt make sense having Sheik when they are using TP Link. They can always upgrade Zelda to give her use of her sword and light arrows in addition to other magic attacks. It looks to me like ZS Samus is Brawl's replacement for Sheik; they seem to share similar fighting mechanics. Sheik used a chain, Samus uses a whip. The nail attack could be done with blaster fire. I don't know how they would make a convincing Samus version of Sheik's teleport move, but they could come up with something.

Hero

Yeah, from what we know already Zero Suit Samus is poised to be the new Sheik, but I'm just not fully convinced on it since we don't know the requirements for Samus to lose her armor. I liked playing as Zelda/Sheik since you could switch on the fly depending on the situation.

The other thing that I'm not sure about it is Twilight Princess Zelda hardly did anything at all in the game.

superbank

Yeah, maybe ZS Samus could be the new Sheik. She definitely has a similar style.

We need some pictures of these Pokemon. I only Played R/B/Y.

Proven said:
I still think the Ice Climbers will make it in. Along with Pit, they're like part of a NES-only club and I still feel that the 14 starting roster from Melee will get put in.

What I'm thinking as confirmed is the starting 14, plus Luigi and Jigglypuff.

As for Fire Emblem, I would have said there's a chance they'd both be cut, until there was the level that's shown in the trailer that's said to be from Fire Emblem. Which number game it comes from should be a clue as who's in from there.

Raichu wouldn't be put in mainly because he isn't cute. Thinking along that route, Pachirisu (the blue squirrel, is that how you spell his name?) will be the new cute electric pokemon next to Pikachu.

I guess I'm the odd man out, but I want Krystal to be in this. As to whether or not she has her bowstaff, it depends on its range. But she already has fighting potential from Star Fox Adventures, plus Fox and Falco. Hate on the game, but not the character. I don't know if Falco will make it in, but Falco and Krystal to Fox will probably end up like Mario and Luigi with them having similar movesets, differing in specific ways, Falco probably more with his standard attacks and Krystal more with her special attacks.

Wind Waker Link might be too jarring towards art style. Do we really want another Zelda character? I think they hit it right by just having the Triforce cast. Update them to their Twilight Princess models, add in more speed characters to appease the Shiek fans.

Oh hell, I just realized, what if the guy from Ninja Gaiden makes it in? He was on the NES at first right? And it'd be a great replacement for Shiek. Still, there's probably such a low chance at this (I somehow doubt Itagachi would go with it without a fit.) so I'll not mention this ever again.

Really, I almost completely loved the Melee cast. The only characters I could really stand to have be cut are Dr. Mario, Pichu, Roy, Young Link, and Game&Watch. Anyone else and there might be some tears.

Oh, and if Sonic isn't announced by or at E3, I'm going to just assume that he's not making it in and that's the main reason why they're making the Mario and Sonic at the Olympics. It's the only way that Nintendo and Sega saw to really highlight them both (and for some reason they thought he wouldn't be a fit for Smash. No direct fighting or whatever).

Yeah I know Raichu won't make it. :( Its just my wish from SSB.

Krystal could be a good fighter with her staff and all but I don't like her character. You're Falco moveset sounds right.

Once they show WW Link he will automatically fit in the game. It doesn't matter if some on here think Cel-shading won't jive with the new art style, once they show him it will. (Thats if he's in of course)

McBacon said:
Run! Fly! Move boldly!

If Sakura knew what shit this dude was writing, he'd be so fired...

:lol These are probably direct quotes from Sakurai. Someone check the JP site.

Cygnus X-1

Hero said:
Yeah, from what we know already Zero Suit Samus is poised to be the new Sheik, but I'm just not fully convinced on it since we don't know the requirements for Samus to lose her armor. I liked playing as Zelda/Sheik since you could switch on the fly depending on the situation.

The other thing that I'm not sure about it is Twilight Princess Zelda hardly did anything at all in the game.

Well, if Link in this Smash is the Link of Twilight Princess and if it is able to do what he can do in TP and not Ocarina of Time, and then if Samus Zero Suit is present in Smash, this let us suppose that in Metroid prime III there is a part where Samus has not her suit.

Proven said:
Do we really want another Zelda character?

For my likings, they could add every single Zelda-character that exists.
Or if i concentrate on the more awsome ones:

- Fierce Deity Link
- Horror Kid
- Cel-Shadng Link
- Dark Link
- Ganon (OoT-true form)

Also, Shiek wont make it. It just doesnt make sense. As for Link transforming, also no. I think Midna will make it, but only together with wolf-Link...as one character, no transformation-sh** :)

superbank

MasterMFauli said:
For my likings, they could add every single Zelda-character that exists.
Or if i concentrate on the more awsome ones:

- Fierce Deity Link
- Horror Kid
- Cel-Shadng Link
- Dark Link
- Ganon (OoT-true form)

Also, Shiek wont make it. It just doesnt make sense. As for Link transforming, also no. I think Midna will make it, but only together with wolf-Link...as one character, no transformation-sh** :)

But TPs gimmick was the Wolf transformation. Wolf Link is even on the boxart. It only makes sense to bundle them together (+ Midna who will use her hair for grabs).

superbank said:
But TPs gimmick was the Wolf transformation. Wolf Link is even on the boxart. It only makes sense to bundle them together (+ Midna who will use her hair for grabs).

But it would ruin Link, imo.
I want Libk to be the lone warrior he always was.
I dont want his down+B be wasted on a transformation.
Also, Midna herself cant fight (ok, we dont know, but she didnt in TP). So give her and the wolf their own moveset, and everythings alright.
Hey, i´d also accept a whole sole Sheik :)

*is against transformations that waste one move*

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
MasterMFauli said:
Also, Midna herself cant fight (ok, we dont know, but she didnt in TP). So give her and the wolf their own moveset, and everythings alright.

Meh the bomb isn't all that interesting, unless we're talking top-tier player.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Jiggy37 said:
Deoxys - A legendary, and it grants the designers free license to have it do absolutely anything.

I think Deoxys and Lucario will make the cut. But an idea I thought about for Deoxys was quite interesting;

(For people who don't follow Pokemon, Deoxys has four different forms (it changes into them depending on which version of the game you play). One is regular, one is heavily attack-based with terrible defence, one is strong defence and below average attack and one is all speed and very little else.)

What could be an interesting idea is, instead of having four special attacks you'd just be fighting using exclusively A-Attack moves and change to the different forms by pressing either B, Up+B, Down+B or Forward+B. Defence could take almost as much damage as Bowser but do hardly any damage itself, whereas Attack would be incredibly strong Smashers but very, very easily knocked out. Speed could be, well, speedy, sacrificing strength AND defence for travelling speed and high jumping.

Of course he could still have a special attack - Final Smash would basically be Psycho Boost. Magic.

superbank

MasterMFauli said:

Down B Bomb is a waste of a move. :p

Link:

B: Arrow
Up B: Spin Attack
Side B: Gale Boomerang
Down B: Transform

Wolf Link:

B: ?
Up B: Make up some sort of jump for this move.
Side B: That move where Midna forms a black circle around link and when you let go you attack anyone in the circle. Tap Side B to attack in front of you without lock-on. Hold B to make the circle.

Cygnus X-1

superbank said:

Sorry, I wanna not start a new discussion, but TP trasformation into a wolf was not a gimmick. Perhaps was not a so-awesome thing, but it wasn't a bad idea at all. What is not clear is the role of the triforce in that trasformation.

But this is not a discussion to do in this thread.

Brobzoid said:
Meh the bomb isn't all that interesting, unless we're talking top-tier player.

Then remove the bomb (which could be an item anyway) and give TP-Link in SSBB the "spinner". There are so many awsome Items Link could use. But a transformation is a waste. why? Because you HAVE TO like both forms, or the character sucks.
I didnt like zelda, so i never played with Shiek. Cant stand the transformations.

superbank

Cygnus X-1 said:
Sorry, I wanna not start a new discussion, but TP trasformation into a wolf was not a gimmick. Perhaps was not a so-awesome thing, but it wasn't a bad idea at all. What is not clear is the role of the triforce in that trasformation.

But this is not a discussion to do in this thread.

I didn't mean it in a bad way. I meant its Zelda TPs "thing."

MasterMFauli said:
Also, Midna herself cant fight
As opposed to such badass warriors as Zelda, Mr. Game & Watch, Captain Falcon, and Falco. I can't count the number of times I took them in to God of War-esque battles.

Proven

Jiggy37 said:
As far as new playable Pokemon go, I think these are the only possibilities:

Grovyle/Sceptile - Basically the Charizard of the Advance generation of the anime, this thing dominated hard and gained a lot of popularity. Also a perfect body type for the game.

Blaziken - Similar popularity to the above. Probably moreso among Pokemon players, but less so among the anime-only fans (if there even are any of those) since May's Blaziken got like less than ten episodes and spent more time as a Combusken, which is less conducive to being put in.

Lucario - What Zoramon said, basically. Also, unlike the above three, this would be a showcase for D/P instead of games already over with. Granted, Mewtwo was first-gen even though SSBM came after the second Pokemon gen, but Roy was mostly there for the sake of advertising.

Buizel - It's cute, has lots of cool moves, and (anime spoilers up to like episode... 502? way beyond what's been aired in the US, anyway)
it's poised to be the Charizard/Sceptile of the D/P gen of the anime. In its first episode it consecutively defeated Dawn, Dawn's contest rival, and Ash (including surviving Quick Attack, Thunderbolt, and Volt Tackle from Pikachu), before being caught by Dawn on the second try. In its second episode, it was pitted against one of the Elite 4--and it lost, but even getting such a fight is a high standard for the anime.
Also has a perfect shape for fighting, and again there's the fact that it's a D/P Pokemon.

Inclined to say Lucario > Sceptile > Deoxys > Blaziken > Buizel in terms of probability, but we'll see.

Ok, I didn't think about popularity over cuteness before, and in that case Lucario is probably the best choice. I don't think they want to put in a starter, or a pokemon that's normally uncatchable in the different versions. Sure, things can still change but at the very least I'm pretty sure Deoxys wouldn't be in it. I expect a pokeball release though.

I don't think Link will change mostly because he's iconic and mostly balanced (I'm claiming balance based on closeness to mid-tier) and doesn't need much altering. I doubt they want to change any character's special moves unless necessary. Again, this is based off of the jump from SSB to SSBM, but hey, maybe Wolf Link/Midna makes it in to replace Young Link instead of WW Link. Down B on Link for Bombs is not a waste of a move. In my opinion, Link's weakest move is his neutral-B arrows. They're the slowest of all his special attacks and doesn't offer the benefits of the others. Boomerang is fast and great for charging at foes, and Bombs easily combo with this for extra long distance attacking a la turnips from Peach.

I don't know why Wind Waker Link bothers me so much, especially since I loved that game, but I see in my mind ways that it can work, and ways it can't work. It's the same with Sonic right now as well. For some reason he doesn't have the full okay with me, although I'd love him to be in the game. For me, this will rest on the character model they use I guess, but there isn't very much difference between them, is there?

So yeah, summary: Lucario, actually good chance in my book. Deoxys is uncatchable with going to a Nintendo event, so I give it a no, but he is the only legendary at the right height. Link change into Wolf, no, Link is great the way he is. Wolf Link own character, that can work. Regular attacks be just the wolf, and Special Attacks be from Midna.

Well, I'm hoping for a roster that looks something like:

Veteran Fighters

Mario
Luigi (tweaked to match his Luigi's Mansion model, complete with Poltergust 3000)
Link
Fox McCLoud
Kirby
Pikachu
Samus Aran
Ice Climbers
Captain Falcon
Princess Peach
Princess Zelda
Ganondorf
Bowser
Ness
Sheik
Donkey Kong
Jigglypuff
Mr Game & Watch

Newcomers

Wario
Zero-Suit Samus
Solid Snake
Pit
Meta Knight
Captain Olimar & Louie (a dual-character as with the Ice Climbers)
Tom Nook
Chibi-Robo
Sonic the Hedgehog
Wind Waker Link (a tweaked Young Link, but in the WW style)
Paper Mario (not a clone as with Dr Mario, but a new character with moves based around PM abilities)
Ike

I'd also be quite keen to see, amongst plenty of other trial modes, a Mii Attack! battle pitting you against 100 Mii in succession, all pulling their appearance from the Mii data stored on the console, together with a Big Brain Battle that pitted you against both the disembodied head of Dr Kawashima & the mortar-boarded menace of Dr Lobe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom